PDA

View Full Version : Maths Necessary for Programmers?

arosar
25-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I know we have a few mathematicians and IT people here, so here's a question for youse. Are maths skills necessary for programmers (http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/03/25/0312233/Math-Skills-For-Programmers---Necessary-Or-Not?from=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashd ot%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher)?

AR

Desmond
25-03-2010, 09:14 PM
You need to understand logic gates etc which I think is part of maths (could be wrong).

Adamski
25-03-2010, 09:25 PM
It would be very hard to be a programmer without some more than basic knowledge of maths. Programs are built from routines and sub-routines which have their logic represented in mathematical terms.

Rincewind
25-03-2010, 09:56 PM
This is a funny thing. I think some maths knowledge is necessary for programming and also some programming knowledge doesn't go astray for mathematicians too. Especially nowadays when computational mathematics being reasonably well represented.

However, in general, most maths students dislike programming and therefore do the barest minimum possible in their degrees and vice versa. Personally I find that an alien concept as I always thought the two complement each other. There are other people who think like me on this but we seem to be in the minority.

Igor_Goldenberg
26-03-2010, 08:27 AM
There is a saying that good mathematician can always become a good programmer, but the reverse is not true.
In logical terms - it's sufficient but not necessary.
In normal language - you can become a good programmer without studying maths. But if you are good in maths, it'll make studying (and applying!) programming much easier.