PDA

View Full Version : Favourite players

SonicInspiration
03-10-2003, 09:04 PM
From all the famous chess players, do you have a favourite, which chess player do you aspire to or you would wish to maybe play one day :?: :rolleyes:

skip to my lou
03-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Vishy Anand :mrgreen:

Merethrond
03-10-2003, 09:16 PM
I have been reading through a few of the tutorials on the home page and I am just wondering if all this information and tactics are common knowledge, then how can someone be better than another :?:?

skip to my lou
03-10-2003, 09:19 PM
The information on this site or any site for that matter just scratches the surface of chess. The possibilities are endless!

Rahul
03-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Garry Kasparov; just to watch him think is quite un-nerving.

metherond, chess is quite like maths, you cant be taught it. you have to practice....a lot!

skip to my lou
03-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Well there are certain elements that may be taught... but ofcourse practice is the key! :D

SoFTuaRiaL™
03-10-2003, 09:48 PM
me! :mrgreen:

skip to my lou
03-10-2003, 09:53 PM
lol!

vosinn
04-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Morphy.. hes genius 8)

Check out his games:
Morphy 1 (http://www.chesskit.com/gif/morphy.php)
Morphy 2 (http://www.chesskit.com/gif/morphy1.php)

jcb
04-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Pillsbury

bob
04-10-2003, 11:10 AM
Kasparov!

BrainsUK
05-10-2003, 04:14 AM
Luke McShane of Ireland. He's been on decent form this year.

Brandon
09-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Tal... he strikes me as quite the character, maybe not the best player to live, but I bet hes got some great stories.

xiao1985
12-10-2003, 11:47 PM
yeah!!! mikhail tal all the way!!!

pigs_can_fly
13-10-2003, 02:45 PM
hmmm...wots that chess supercomputers name? that one. i like that one :D

skip to my lou
13-10-2003, 02:58 PM
Deep Blue

pigs_can_fly
13-10-2003, 03:20 PM
hmmm...yeah thats wot i thought
but then it sounded like some anime movie, so i thought, naah
leave to the pros to tell me :D

Gandalf
14-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Shaun Miccallef, because he lost to Kasparov.

Then they played all these other games, and Kasparov (after "Mastermind") said "I win again you @#$%!". Funny :D

Gandalf
14-10-2003, 07:10 PM
hmmm...wots that chess supercomputers name? that one. i like that one :DDeep Blue

Edit: Argh! Damn you people paying attention! Too slow :(

pigs_can_fly
14-10-2003, 09:00 PM
lol @ gandalf

u sound oh so desperate :D:P

Gandalf
14-10-2003, 09:47 PM
If I were a real dick I could have deleted the posts before mine...:twisted:

skip to my lou
14-10-2003, 10:21 PM
you mean my post? ;)

I dont think you should try that :P

:)

Gandalf
14-10-2003, 10:25 PM
:D You wouldn't have noticed.

Edit: Following posts eliminated for uselesness

King
15-10-2003, 07:41 AM
Josh Waitzkin is the best ;)

Sucker
16-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Mikhail Tal. Genius.

... from todays players, Radjabov, Leko, Hodgson hard to choose from.

SonicInspiration
21-10-2003, 09:21 AM
Execellent good to see the replys

__________________________________________________ _
Nothing is impossible for the person who doesn't have to do it

Vijayendra
06-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Tal -Tactical Genius
Capablanca - Simply Superb
Sultan Khan - Natural Player- He didn't read any chess Book.
Alekhine - GrandMONSTER - Nobody can guess when & where he strikes!
Fischer - Eccentric Genius
Petrosian - Posiitional Genius
Vishy Anand-BlitzKing
Kasparov - GrandMONSTER Title applies to him aswell. :)

skip to my lou
06-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Yep, Anand won World Rapid Chess Championship very recently.

Gandalf
09-11-2003, 12:19 AM
I wonder if Chess will ever get onto the sport channel...

skip to my lou
09-11-2003, 12:33 AM
The Deep Blue vs Kasparov match and Fischer were highly publicized. They should put rapid tournaments on TV. I like watching rapid tournaments :D Especially when Anand is playing.

xiao1985
09-11-2003, 10:50 AM
I wonder if Chess will ever get onto the sport channel...

lolz nice one..... i believe bak then where was a post in BoS, a poll infact, on whether chess is a sport..... and there was a pretty fierce arguement goin on..... lolz

"of course it is!!!" tho i choose the option : give me some candy alreadie... cuz i was hungry.....

Gandalf
12-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Was that in the hobbies forum? Because I very rarely go there. But yes, chess is a more valuable sport than most, because it exercises the brain far more effectively than other sports exercise the body.

Also, a sport can be defined as competition for its own sake. I think Chess fulfils this, as sport doesn't require physical action.

Kerry Stead
02-01-2004, 03:00 AM
Favourite player:
Johnny Hector
Others who are close:
Shirov, Tal, Bronstein, Korchnoi
Aussies:
Rogers, Johansen, Malcolm Stephens

Rincewind
02-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Favourite player:
Johnny Hector
Others who are close:
Shirov, Tal, Bronstein, Korchnoi
Aussies:
Rogers, Johansen, Malcolm Stephens

Yeah, Johnny is a great player. Also the others you mention. However, I'm a sentimentalist and can't go past Fischer as my favorite post-war players. Also like Kasparov at his best, (10 years ago, say) absolutely dominating everyone else like the way he did with a very aggressive style.

Of the current Aussies, Wohl and Rogers are up there.

george
03-01-2004, 11:16 PM
My favourite player was Capablanca for his simple artistry.

I liked the way he lived life to the full - he was totally at ease with who he was in relation to the world and with his own genius AND he knew how to party!!!!

George Howard

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2004, 11:23 PM
My favourite player was Capablanca for his simple artistry.

Mine too. Just made it look so easy. I also like his approach to endgames a lot - don't worry about concrete variations right off but appreciate where the pieces have to go. Then work out how you can get them there.

My modern favourites are, contrastingly enough, Kramnik and Shirov.

Kehya
03-01-2004, 11:25 PM
I would have to say Paul Morphy.

Modern favorite is Anand.

Rincewind
04-01-2004, 06:55 AM

Chalk and cheese! :shock:

arosar
12-01-2004, 11:47 AM
How aboout favourite book reviewer? Who is your fave? Mine is Carsten Hansen.

AR

arosar
12-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Whoa!! The number 1 player in RP, by FIDE ratings, is now IM Mark Paragua.

Check out today's Chess Piece by Bobby Ang. Bobby also mentions FM Sanchez who comes from the same island that I do.

http://www.bworld.com.ph/current/A&L/ang.html

Read today as it will disappear tomorrow.

AR

JGB
19-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Morphy was a complete genius capable of combinations unthinkable to most of us, (regardless that many have been proven to be incorrect under the proper defence) Fischer was so far ahead of his competition that he could defeat other GM's as though they were 'Patzers' so he said (and did of course)!

But my favourite player is Alexander Alekhine, for his three greatest games books are my favourites, written himself and although at times complex he tries to let us all take a look at whats going on in the Super GM's mind! At his best he was better than Capablanca (the results from his tournament games against him from 1924-1927 are proof of that) and even when weakened by his sad lifestyle was playing brilliant chess till the end.

antichrist
19-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Locally -- Flatow. Having watched his rapid play games, often he was behind on time, material and his position did not seem that hot, but as cool as the South Pole he would gather a victory in the last seconds of the game. So beautifully!

bill718
11-02-2008, 05:01 PM
This Swedish lady is has been a very strong player for many years.
Ms. Cramling is married to a Spanish Grandmaster.
:D

Capablanca-Fan
11-02-2008, 05:15 PM
At his best he was better than Capablanca (the results from his tournament games against him from 1924-1927 are proof of that)
How can this be? Capa scored +1-0=5 in tournament games against Alekhine in that period.

It's notable that even while Capa was basically retired from chess in the early 1930s, when Alekhine was world champ, Capa was still by far the best blitz player around. Reuben Fine says in his autobiographical games collection that in this period he (Fine) could fight on almost level terms with Alekhine at blitz chess, but that Capablanca beat him "mercilessly" the few times they played. On 6 Dec 1933, Capa scored 9/9 in a strong blitz tournament (http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter30.html#4817._Capablancas_clean_sweep)where Samuel Reshevsky and Fine tied for second with Milton Hanauer on 7.

Capablanca-Fan
11-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Mine too. Just made it look so easy.
Same here. Capa's health was never great unfortunately.

I also like his approach to endgames a lot — don't worry about concrete variations right off but appreciate where the pieces have to go. Then work out how you can get them there.
That's how he worked. Yet a modern study (http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3455)found that of all the champs, his moves were closest to the best according to a computer evaluation.

I would put Kramnik and Anand, and maybe Carlsen is not too far off.

Aaron Guthrie
11-02-2008, 06:37 PM
That's how he worked. Yet a modern study (http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3455)found that of all the champs, his moves were closest to the best according to a computer evaluation.I always wondered if they used an opening book (I mean, then their own games should be in the book ;)), or if they started the comparison at move 1.

Shark93
16-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Carlsen and Shirov since Kasparov is retired :(.

Capablanca-Fan
07-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Same here. Capa's health was never great unfortunately.
Further to that, he had a stroke at AVRO, hardly helped by the running around city to city that was entailed. Also, good health genes didn't run in his family. His older brother Salvador lived 1885–1940, both his parents died in the 1920s, his son died of heart failure also in his fifties.

An old New Scientist (http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg16121764.800-fear-itself.html)article (06 March 1999), about how fear and other intensive brain trauma can literally damage the heart, mentioned Capa:

In extreme cases, the brain releases so many catecholamines into the heart that it bleeds. Samuels remembers one distraught young man who lingered on a ledge on a hospital roof for hours negotiating with counsellors before finally jumping. It was a personal tragedy for his friends and family, a public relations nightmare for the hospital—and a fascinating autopsy case for Samuels. "The cause of the death was trauma. Yet when we looked at the heart, there were hundreds of haemorrhages," he remembers. "The heart was just studded with them. I thought I had the first such case in the world." But when he presented it at a scientific meeting, someone told him about similar findings from a study years ago on a man who jumped off the Eiffel Tower. Fear of contemplating jumping to your death probably causes these lesions.

Again, the brain can do this even in the absence of any great fear. The chess master José Raúl Capablanca had a history of hypertension when he died in 1942 at the Manhattan Chess Club of a massive stroke. At his autopsy, the physicians noted numerous haemorrhages in his heart tissue, but no one realised their significance. Last year, Orlando Hernándes-Meilán at the Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery in Havana reviewed the autopsy notes and concluded that the stroke damaged his heart by activating the sympathetic nerves.

Space_Dude
22-04-2008, 03:50 PM
me:lol:

WCL-Skwerly
23-04-2008, 04:40 AM
Alekhine - GrandMONSTER - Nobody can guess when & where he strikes!

Alexander Alekhine IS my favorite player - for his playing style (OMG he was strong) and his rich life story. Besides, I love GM's who drink.

Wojo another favorite of mine, and of course Emory Tate: what a crusher that guy is when his game is on!

Fischer is also very high on my list, I don't care `what` he thought or said about the USA. The guy played almost faultless chess, and was one of the most ruthless attackers the game has ever seen; that has to be respected! :)