PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Oceania Zonal - Rotorua, NZ

Pages : [1] 2

Tony Dowden
17-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Details for the 2011 Oceania Zonal scheduled for Tuesday Jan 25to Monday Jan 31 in Rotorua are available here:

http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Zonal2011/

Denis_Jessop
17-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Details for the 2011 Oceania Zonal scheduled for Tuesday Jan 25to Monday Jan 31 in Rotorua are available here:

There's also one for the Australians in the Upcoming and Current Tournaments Section :)

DJ

Tony Dowden
17-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Shhh, don't tell the Kiwis ;)

Capablanca-Fan
18-03-2010, 01:06 PM

Best wishes if you are playing. I'll be living in America by then unfortunately.

Amir K.
19-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Room booking on the way. Entry fees will be paid soon. I can't wait on these one. I love boiling water.
http://www.kingsofchess.biz/myPictures/Rotorua.jpg

Photo by David C. from Australia ( info from Millenium Hotel)

Garrett
13-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Looks like the flights from Brisbane to Rotorua are about $268-00 each way at the moment.

That is with Air New Zealand.

Has anyone found a better deal (from Eastern Oz states).

Cheers
Garrett.

Garrett
13-04-2010, 01:18 PM
oops - plus $131 total in Government and Airport charges.

double oops, that is via Auckland. I thought I heard (a putty cat) someone say there are flights direct to Rotorua which would be good and mean I would be in better shape to play the next day but that may have been from a city other than Brisbane.

cheers
Garrett.

Skulte
13-04-2010, 02:26 PM
I thought I heard (a putty cat) someone say there are flights direct to Rotorua

I believe there are once a week flights from Sydney (but even that is not very often).

Garvinator
13-04-2010, 03:16 PM
I believe there are once a week flights from Sydney (but even that is not very often).That is nice for Sydney people, but for us South East Queenslanders, we need flights from Brisbane/Gold Coast to Auckland or similar, otherwise there is the extra cost of flying to Sydney first.

I just found a similar price to Garrett with ANZ.

Capablanca-Fan
14-04-2010, 02:28 AM
That is nice for Sydney people, but for us South East Queenslanders, we need flights from Brisbane/Gold Coast to Auckland or similar, otherwise there is the extra cost of flying to Sydney first.

I just found a similar price to Garrett with ANZ.
Flying to Hamilton might be an alternative; this is only about an hour north of Rotorua.

Igor_Goldenberg
14-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Flying to Hamilton might be an alternative; this is only about an hour north of Rotorua.
No international flights to Hamilton.

Capablanca-Fan
14-04-2010, 02:45 PM
No international flights to Hamilton.
Blast; there used to be; I've travelled on them.

Igor_Goldenberg
14-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Maybe I just couldn't find them. Definitely there are none from Melbourne.

Garvinator
14-04-2010, 04:21 PM
There are international flights from Hamilton: http://www.houseoftravel.co.nz/SearchResults.aspx

flukey
14-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Easiest thing is just to hire a car from auckland and drive the 3 hours ... coordinate a few people to share the cost and will be like $25 each ...

Tony Dowden
14-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Easiest thing is just to hire a car from auckland and drive the 3 hours ... coordinate a few people to share the cost and will be like $25 each ...

Flukey is right, pooling your resources to hire a car and is definitely the best option. Auckland Airport is at the southern end of the city and well connected to the main highway to Hamilton and, after hanging a left at the right spot, on to Rotorua. Most likely you would be halfway there before you could catch a connecting flight anyway.

Like Queenstown, Rotorua has the peculiar problem of being relatively small but being a major destination for international tourists who, especially when a few planeloads of time-poor East Asian tourists arrive in Auckland, effectively prevent airline prices dropping down to the levels you can expect when flying to other destinations in NZ.

If I travel over for the event I'll even drive you down. (Tasmanian's are excellent drivers :whistle: )

arosar
14-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Isn't there like a scenic train journey?? I remember doing the trans-coastal. That was nice. And it would be aheluva nice way to travel to the venue.

AR

Capablanca-Fan
15-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Also, it would be handy to have a hire car to see the interesting attractions around Rotorua, which are more than the tourist traps (I know because my grandparents lived there for 20 years and I visited often).

Tony Dowden
16-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Isn't there like a scenic train journey?? I remember doing the trans-coastal. That was nice. And it would be aheluva nice way to travel to the venue.

AR

No

Adamski
17-04-2010, 12:36 AM
NoI think Amiel is thinking of the South Island - the very scenic TranzAlpine Express railway from Christchurch to Greymouth (or vice versa, or both). Rotorua is in the North Island...

Tony Dowden
19-04-2010, 09:28 PM
I think Amiel is thinking of the South Island - the very scenic TranzAlpine Express railway from Christchurch to Greymouth (or vice versa, or both). Rotorua is in the North Island...

Thanks Jonathan. Yes, I was too short and to the point. (I forgot to return)

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone but I'm virtually certain Rotorua doesn't have a railway line. The city is spread around the caldera lake of a humongous extinct volcano, so most approaches to town involve a steady drop downhill which doesn't especially suit rail. (That argument might be irrelevant though because over the last 40 years or so the vast majority of provincial railways lines in NZ have been removed).

heligan
23-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Call for Expressions of Interest for Zonal places
New Zealand is entitled to nominate one player for the Open Zonal and one player for the Women's Zonal to receive free entry and free accommodation. In the past, nominees have usually been the winners of the NZ Championship and Women's Championship. However, since Congress is only a couple of weeks before the Zonal, we have decided to have a selection procedure instead. If you are interested in taking the free place, please email Paul Spiller, spillerfamily.enterprise@xtra.co.nz, before 30th September. Selections will be made by the end of October. Please note that all New Zealanders are welcome to play on payment of the entry fee.

More information about the Zonal can be found at
http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Zonal2011/index.html

CivicChessMan
28-07-2010, 08:42 AM
How about running a Zonal qualifying tournament to find the New Zealand representative? This would be more exciting than selection. My suggestion is to divide the players in two groups with the top two in each group progressing to the semi-finals. The semi-finals and finals would be played in the same way as the FIDE candidates.

Garvinator
28-07-2010, 11:18 AM
How about running a Zonal qualifying tournament to find the New Zealand representative? This would be more exciting than selection. My suggestion is to divide the players in two groups with the top two in each group progressing to the semi-finals. The semi-finals and finals would be played in the same way as the FIDE candidates.And who is going to run this bright idea?

Qbert
28-07-2010, 11:28 AM
And who is going to run this bright idea?
Why not the winner of the South Island Championship vs the winner of the Merv Morrison Memorial? Both tournaments are in October and between them cover both ends of the country. It would encourage participation in both.

CivicChessMan
28-07-2010, 12:56 PM
What I'm suggesting is that the selection process be replaced by some kind of playoff.

heligan
28-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Call for Expressions of Interest for Zonal places
New Zealand is entitled to nominate one player for the Open Zonal and one player for the Women's Zonal to receive free entry and free accommodation. In the past, nominees have usually been the winners of the NZ Championship and Women's Championship. However, since Congress is only a couple of weeks before the Zonal, we have decided to have a selection procedure instead. If you are interested in taking the free place, please email Paul Spiller, spillerfamily.enterprise@xtra.co.nz, before 30th September. Selections will be made by the end of October. Please note that all New Zealanders are welcome to play on payment of the entry fee.

More information about the Zonal can be found at
http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Zonal2011/index.html

Qbert
28-07-2010, 01:58 PM
What I'm suggesting is that the selection process be replaced by some kind of playoff.
So am I, but players won't travel the country to play for free, so why not make a seat at the final playoff match an extra prize to the winner of two tournaments already in the NZ calendar http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/calendar.html?

Qbert
28-07-2010, 02:02 PM
we have decided to have a selection procedure instead
If you ask me it's a shame... a missed opportunity for players to compete for the spot.:)

ER
13-09-2010, 07:41 PM
That looks like a very nice idea for a holiday too Kev... Is it only the Zonal, or they are going to have some patzer chess tournaments there as well? Oh they have, I just noticed :) I clicked on the website they have everything there :)

mikesguns
17-09-2010, 11:27 AM
That looks like a very nice idea for a holiday too Kev... Is it only the Zonal, or they are going to have some patzer chess tournaments there as well? Oh they have, I just noticed :) I clicked on the website they have everything there :)
Is there a 'patzer' tournament as well. Is it under 2000 or something? I can only see the open tournament on the website

Watto
17-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Is there a 'patzer' tournament as well. Is it under 2000 or something? I can only see the open tournament on the website
I can only see the open tournament as well (anyone can enter but they just pay differently depending on their FIDE rating.) I'm not sure what JaK is getting at :hmm: here's the page: http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Zonal2011/fees.html

mikesguns
17-09-2010, 01:30 PM
I can only see the open tournament as well (anyone can enter but they just pay differently depending on their FIDE rating.) I'm not sure what JaK is getting at :hmm: here's the page: http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Zonal2011/fees.html
I was thinking of playing as well but it does cost $300 or so for me just for the entry fee and much more with accomodation and airfare, so I am not sure whether I will play

ER
17-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure what JaK is getting at :hmm: here's the page: http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Zonal2011/fees.html
they have entry fees for below 1600/unrated, if that's not a patzer division then I am not sure what you are getting at either :hmm:

mikesguns
17-09-2010, 03:16 PM
they have entry fees for below 1600/unrated, if that's not a patzer division then I am not sure what you are getting at either :hmm:
I think the entry fees just change based on your rating and everyone plays in the same tournament unless I am wrong and they have a seperate U1600 division.
P.S
You're not a patzer JAK
:)

Bill Gletsos
17-09-2010, 03:20 PM
I think the entry fees just change based on your rating and everyone plays in the same tournament unless I am wrong and they have a seperate U1600 division.
P.S
You're not a patzer JAK
:)Correct, the entry fee varies based on your FIDE rating.
There is only one tournament and one division.

Afitz
17-09-2010, 03:26 PM
If it's like previous tournaments and i see no reason why it wouldn't be, then it's one tournament, with different entry fees depending on rating.

All in all it works well :) Best bet in my opinion is to band together with some other players and friends and rent a house for the period of the tournament!

I'm thoroughly looking forward to the tournament!! :lol:

ER
17-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I thought that patzers had their own category in Zonals, as in different tournaments. I remember back in Europe tournaments where you had two some times three ex world champions playing in one! Nosy bastards, except from Tahl, and also, what's the name of that Yugoslav GM who drunk a lot, who would take on all comers and be nice to all, some of them wouldn't even want to be in the same room as common mortals; let alone play against them! They say Fischer was also OK for an argument with everyone. I was told that by a friend of mine who saw him play in a tournament in ex Yugoslavia in the old days!

P.S
You're not a patzer JAK :)

Thanks son, watch me now that I have more time for Chess! :)

Brian_Jones
18-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Correct, the entry fee varies based on your FIDE rating.
There is only one tournament and one division.

Yes, the entry fees do vary based on your FIDE rating.

But there are indeed two tournaments - you need to be a WOMEN (female) to play in the second tournament.

ER
23-11-2010, 02:36 PM
I was thinking of playing as well but it does cost $300 or so for me just for the entry fee and much more with accomodation and airfare, so I am not sure whether I will play

My God, I just saw this post and checked in the site! (I hadn't checked the entry fees before) Are you guys for real? I mean AUS $350.00 for someone of my rating? You can't be serious! LOL I might make the trip to see the absolutely beautiful place and drop in to see you playing, but to enter? thanks but no thanks!

For your information look at the entry fees of the 2010 European Individual Championships (Men and Women) in Croatia:

11. ECU FEES In accordance with the ECU regulations, Grand masters and International masters are required to pay a fee of 65 €/person, while other players are obliged to effect the payment of 130 €/person of the fee.
According to the ECU regulations (Art. B.9.5.1), the entry fee shall be paid by the federations to ECU before or at the start of the competition. If the entry fee is not paid until end of round 2 these participants will not be paired in subsequent rounds.

12. ORGANISATION FEE
The organization fee is 70 Euro and must be paid by all participants. The organization fee includes:
* Transfer from airports Zagreb and Rijeka (island of Krk) to the hotels in Rijeka and Opatija and back
* Bus transfers from the hotels to the playing hall and back
* One drink (coffee, tea or water) for all participants during the round.

and we are talking about some of the best players in the world participating there!

And before you call me a stingy old bastard, I promise to give you $350 as a donation (that's on top of my entry fee) if you reconsider your entry fees (for all entries) reducing them by at least 20%

Tony Dowden
23-11-2010, 04:43 PM
My God, I just saw this post and checked in the site! (I hadn't checked the entry fees before) Are you guys for real? I mean AUS $350.00 for someone of my rating? You can't be serious! LOL I might make the trip to see the absolutely beautiful place and drop in to see you playing, but to enter? thanks but no thanks!

For your information look at the entry fees of the 2010 European Individual Championships (Men and Women) in Croatia:

and we are talking about some of the best players in the world participating there!

And before you call me a stingy old bastard, I promise to give you $350 as a donation (that's on top of my entry fee) if you reconsider your entry fees (for all entries) reducing them by at least 20%

I understand your point of view Eliott but in my view it boils down to about five issues: (1) the Zonal is (unashamedly) an elitist event designed for elite players, (2) the lack of a (major) sponsor can't be ignored, (3) the very limited supply of strong players in our Zone, (4) the need for a reasonably substantial prizefund for a prestigous event, and (5) the preference among 2000+ players in a FIDE-rated event such as this to play as few unrated opponents (or opponents rated several hundred points below them) as possible.

Some are bound to disagree on this last point but think about it: would the average 1500 player go to significant expense (i.e. travel a long way and pay for accommo) to play in an event if there was a good chance they would have to play several players under 1000? A few might but I don't think there would be many takers.

A few years ago players like you (and me) couldn't get into the Zonal. Personally, I don't mind paying extra for the privilege. And a sliding scale based on FIDE rating seems fair.

heligan
23-11-2010, 05:15 PM
The Zonal is very costly to run, because the organisers (NZCF this time) have to pay a very large fee per player to the Asian Chess Federation (a part of FIDE). We are also obliged to pay for accommodation for the official nominees of all the Oceania countries. Add to that the costs of the venue and the prizefund, and the low number of expected entries (there are hundreds in the European Zonal events) and I'm afraid the entry fees become large.

CivicChessMan
24-11-2010, 07:21 AM
According to a reliable source, the fees are identical to those charged by the Australians in 2009. Of the entry fee, $US75 goes to FIDE. Without sponsorship, the Zonal is simply an expensive tournament to run.

ER
24-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Good Luck! I wish you every success!

Tony Dowden
25-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Good Luck! I wish you every success!

Thanks JaK :cool: I hope you agree that Heligan and CCM added especially salient points (actually, I knew there were fees but I didn't realise they were that steep!)

Maybe the 2010 Queestown Classic would be a better event for you to consider playing in?

ER
25-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks JaK :cool: I hope you agree that Heligan and CCM added especially salient points (actually, I knew there were fees but I didn't realise they were that steep!)
Indeed the information provided by both clarified the position and thanks for that! BTW I haven't yet made my final decision. My main dilemma is if I would actually be forced to shorten my USA visit after the shortening of my Cairns trip to fit it in between Gold Coast Classic and Aus Championships in Sydney.
I hope I would know by mid next week since this coming weekend I will dedicate to do work for State Elections candidate Ms Gladys Liu (Sat) and CV Blitz (Sunday).

Maybe the 2010 Queestown Classic would be a better event for you to consider playing in?
I hope so, since only by looking at the heavenly surroundings of the venue (as in Rotorua) one has to be heartless (or absolutely broke :P - and I am neither at present) not to consider! :)

Garvinator
25-11-2010, 04:58 PM
The reason entry fees are so expensive for most players compared to normal events is that it is the first stage of the world championship.

So fide levies a fee, which heligan has mentioned. My understanding is that it is about half of the total entry a person pays (on average), so out of the $350 entry fee, half of that does not go to the organisers, but instead is passed on, again as heligan explains.

Tony Dowden
26-11-2010, 07:41 AM
I hope so, since only by looking at the heavenly surroundings of the venue (as in Rotorua)

Actually some of Rotorua and its environs are suitably sulfuric and hellish (cf Hells' Gates) so you might be joined by the likes of antichrist (who, as a well known philanthropist here, has recently revealed a soft spot for things Kiwi) :lol:

Davidflude
26-11-2010, 12:56 PM
I do not have a list but know that players from Box Hill and Melbourne Chess Clubs are playing. If anyone has a list please post it here or put a link to the appropriate web site.

Best wishes to all the competitors.

Qbert
26-11-2010, 01:18 PM
The official list of entries is posted at http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Zonal2011/entries.html

heligan
26-11-2010, 01:42 PM
The official list has just been updated with a few more Australians. I believe that most of the unconfirmed players listed will be there, and there are others I know of who have already booked accommodation so I assume they are playing!

heligan
23-12-2010, 06:31 AM
The closing date for entries is December 31st. After that there is a late entry fee. However, this late entry fee will be waived for anyone who hands me his/her entry at the NZCF Congress in Auckland, January 2-14. The rest of you, please, get your entries in as soon as possible!

LNah
06-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Thinking of going to Oceania Zonal? Entries are still being accepted. http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Zonal2011/fees.html

It isn't too late! What's stopping you?

Perhaps multiple heads (ie the people reading this thread) can help solve the problem(s)/lower the hurdle or plan a detour around it?

Google Map location for the venue: http://j.mp/eDc5qO

Travel?
No direct flight to Rotorua (airport ROT)? Check to see if there's flights to Auckland (AKL) or Hamilton (HAM). Search engine for Airfare: http://www.hot.co.nz/ offer you the ability to look for flights with multiple airlines.
Bus companies that go to Rotorua: http://www.intercity.co.nz/ https://nakedbus.com/
There's others too and a few shuttle services. Ask if you need them. I (or someone) can try to locate them for you.

Accommodation:
If you haven't booked, it isn't too late. However don't leave it till last minute. There are alternatives to the venue. You don't have to stay there if you don't want to (or can't afford to).
Is accommodation at the venue too expensive? The nearest cheap accommodation is only 57m away at http://www.crashpalace.co.nz/ . I haven't stayed there but there's lots of reviews for it. The Google location/place page for Crash Palace http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=11436090950889958766 has links to these reviews (TripAdvisor, Hostelworld etc).
Backpackers doesn't mean you have to share room. There's single rooms (which you have key to etc) and if there's a few of you perhaps you can share a multiple occupancy room (eg 4 bed dorm). The site shows ensuite room is $68pp/night, double $60pp/night. cheapest is female dorm (yes women only) $22pp/night.

The Google Map Location for the venue has a "Related places" section. There's other accommodation providers there (including the distance from the venue). Alternatively use the "Search nearby". put in key word "accommodation" and you'll find other accommodation options nearby (that it knows of). Example Sudima Hotel is 217m away.

Wotif NZ and other last minute accommodation booking sites offer lists of alternatives. Use googlemaps to work out the distance from the conference venue. Wotif: http://j.mp/icQ60Y

Also ask here. Perhaps someone has a spare bed in their room/campervan/tent (wherever they are staying) or know of someone with room/bed.

Tony Dowden
06-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Thinking of going to Oceania Zonal? Entries are still being accepted. http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Zonal2011/fees.html

Perhaps multiple heads (ie the people reading this thread) can help solve the problem(s)/lower the hurdle or plan a detour around it?

Google Map location for the venue: http://j.mp/eDc5qO

Travel?
No direct flight to Rotorua (airport ROT)? Check to see if there's flights to Auckland (AKL) or Hamilton (HAM). Search engine for Airfare: http://www.hot.co.nz/ offer you the ability to look for flights with multiple airlines.
Bus companies that go to Rotorua: http://www.intercity.co.nz/ https://nakedbus.com/
There's others too and a few shuttle services. Ask if you need them. I (or someone) can try to locate them for you.

Accommodation:
If you haven't booked, it isn't too late. However don't leave it till last minute. There are alternatives to the venue. You don't have to stay there if you don't want to (or can't afford to).
Is accommodation at the venue too expensive? The nearest cheap accommodation is only 57m away at http://www.crashpalace.co.nz/ . I haven't stayed there but there's lots of reviews for it. The Google location/place page for Crash Palace http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=11436090950889958766 has links to these reviews (TripAdvisor, Hostelworld etc).
Backpackers doesn't mean you have to share room. There's single rooms (which you have key to etc) and if there's a few of you perhaps you can share a multiple occupancy room (eg 4 bed dorm). The site shows ensuite room is $68pp/night, double $60pp/night. cheapest is female dorm (yes women only) $22pp/night.

The Google Map Location for the venue has a "Related places" section. There's other accommodation providers there (including the distance from the venue). Alternatively use the "Search nearby". put in key word "accommodation" and you'll find other accommodation options nearby (that it knows of). Example Sudima Hotel is 217m away.

Wotif NZ and other last minute accommodation booking sites offer lists of alternatives. Use googlemaps to work out the distance from the conference venue. Wotif: http://j.mp/icQ60Y

Also ask here. Perhaps someone has a spare bed in their room/campervan/tent (wherever they are staying) or know of someone with room/bed.

Thanks for your enthusiasm Lin :clap: :clap: but I'm working. That and saving for the 2012 Queenstown Classic :)

lost
07-01-2011, 05:39 AM
To the organisers,

Why isn't the entries of the Palau players on the list on the website? I know for a fact they are playing the zonal. Can the organisers check with the Palau Chess Federation please.

lost

heligan
07-01-2011, 05:48 AM
The Palau reps withdrew, for various reasons.

lost
08-01-2011, 02:56 AM
The Palau reps withdrew, for various reasons.

Thanks heligan for informing me of this.

lost

LNah
13-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Thanks Tony. I was aiming this at those who were perhaps still hoping to go or secretly wanting to go. Not at those who have already decided not to go or saving up for something else (like you are). Hoping that this will help them come forward and let us help solve whatever it is that may stop them attending.

I think it is good opportunity for someone in NZ who wishes to compete in that level at a relatively cheaper cost. it not having to travel out of NZ for it.

For example if it was merely transport, perhaps someone driving to Rotorua going pass their town could give them a ride etc.

I also set up an event on facebook last month with that in mind. Link to event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=174361502585204

To those of you in Auckland, you can still submit your entries in person to Helen or someone at NZCF at the 118th Congress which is still on till late tomorrow. Go have a chat with them about it.

Solo
22-01-2011, 08:24 AM
I am sorry but I am not playing in the zonal. I cannot remember entering but I probably told someone I was playing a while ago, and that is how my name is in the entries. I hope the tournament goes well.

heligan
22-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Stephen, I will pass your message on to the organisers. Sorry to hear you are not playing.

Solo
22-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Thankyou Helen.

heligan
23-01-2011, 06:03 AM
This is an important notice for the 11 players in the Women's Zonal:
It is highly likely that this will be run as an all-play-all. This requires 11 rounds. The revised schedule will be discussed before round 1 (day by day - 1 round, 2 rounds, 2 rounds, 1 round, 2 rounds, 2 rounds, 1 round).

Any woman who is not an official nominee of her country is welcome to transfer to the Open (no extra entry fee) - this would allow us to run a 10-player, 9-round all-play-all with the original schedule.

The Bennett
24-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi guys, will there be a provisional draw posted up and if so when and where.

Cheers,

MB

Javier Gil
24-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Any woman who is not an official nominee of her country is welcome to transfer to the Open (no extra entry fee) - this would allow us to run a 10-player, 9-round all-play-all with the original schedule.

ER... Is this for real??? it's so unprofessional to suggest this!! :mad:

I believe most of the girls and women taking part in this event would have paid for their air fares already, they would have booked accomodation, many would have made changes in their schedules to play in this event, and more importantly, many would have spent time preparing for this important event, they have dreams and hopes...
And now you come along and make that statement, as if saying "it's no big deal, the open is a strong tournament also...."

I't unacceptable that you would toy with their dreams and hopes like this, that you would belittle the tournament like this!! :mad:

If you want to run a serious tournament, the first thing on the list is not to put it down like this.
Does the tournament mean so little to you? :hmm:

Garvinator
24-01-2011, 12:20 PM
This is an important notice for the 11 players in the Women's Zonal:
It is highly likely that this will be run as an all-play-all. This requires 11 rounds. The revised schedule will be discussed before round 1 (day by day - 1 round, 2 rounds, 2 rounds, 1 round, 2 rounds, 2 rounds, 1 round).

Any woman who is not an official nominee of her country is welcome to transfer to the Open (no extra entry fee) - this would allow us to run a 10-player, 9-round all-play-all with the original schedule.What would happen if half the womens field wants to go to the open? Also, it is likely that had some women known this might have been an option from the start they might have entered. Unlikely, but certainly a possibility.

flukey
24-01-2011, 02:39 PM
ER... Is this for real??? it's so unprofessional to suggest this!! :mad:

I believe most of the girls and women taking part in this event would have paid for their air fares already, they would have booked accomodation, many would have made changes in their schedules to play in this event, and more importantly, many would have spent time preparing for this important event, they have dreams and hopes...
And now you come along and make that statement, as if saying "it's no big deal, the open is a strong tournament also...."

I't unacceptable that you would toy with their dreams and hopes like this, that you would belittle the tournament like this!! :mad:

If you want to run a serious tournament, the first thing on the list is not to put it down like this.
Does the tournament mean so little to you? :hmm:

Nice passion but not much thinking - of course the organisers would love to have 30 female entries and a nice big swiss - but guess what - they only got 11 entires. So faced with that slightly apathetic response, they offer a suggested (and optional) solution to an obvious problem (neither an 11 players swiss with one bye a day nor lengthening the tourney to an 11 player round robin are that palatable). And they flag that option now rather than on the day.

Just what would your idea have been - status quo - an 11 player 9 round swiss??????

By the way, I have no connection with the organisers and I am sure they can defend themselves but sometimes people have to realise a suggested solution, may, on reflection, be the best of a bad bunch. Hobsons choice. Whatever.

flukey
24-01-2011, 02:43 PM
What would happen if half the womens field wants to go to the open? Also, it is likely that had some women known this might have been an option from the start they might have entered. Unlikely, but certainly a possibility.

This post is not quite the thinking fail of the last one - but I ask again ... given that only 11 entries have been received, what would YOU do in that specific case?

Obviously the organisers couldn't have predicted in advance they would get precisely 11 entries (and it is obvious this is the most awkward number by far - any more and you have a swiss and any less and you have a done deal all play all) so how could people have entered in reliance on this precise scenario occuring?

Kevin Bonham
24-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Yes, it's only with specifically 11 or 12 entries that the problem is serious, especially when titles are awarded from the event. With 13-14 entries pairing nine rounds in a Swiss will get pretty ugly but should still work out OK. I'm not sure if there's any mathematical proof that a 9-round swiss with 11 entries can always even be paired legally, but assuming you can you'll still get only two players not getting a bye.

Also, for the great majority of potential female entrants the difference between what it would cost them to enter the Open and what it costs them to enter the Womens is minor (about $50-$150 AUS) compared to the costs of travel, accommodation etc. The exception is a lowish-rated WIM who isn't a national rep, eg Alex Jule could get into the Womens for free but would normally be up for $300 to play in the Open.

I don't really "get" Javier Gil's post. The organisers aren't forcing anyone to play in the Open but are just offering it as a way to maintain the playing conditions intended for the Womens instead of adding rounds. Far from this being "unprofessional" it seems more like they are trying to find the best solution to a tricky problem. (I also always think it's amusing that chess admins cop the label "unprofessional" when they do something somebody doesn't like while acting in a voluntary capacity.)

There is a broader issue of the multiple serious problems with Women's Zonals in Oceania zone generally (as qualifiers for the Women's World Champs, as title sources, as participation events - you name it), but that's a FIDE issue rather than one the organisers can or should resolve.

Garvinator
24-01-2011, 03:13 PM
This post is not quite the thinking fail of the last one - but I ask again ... given that only 11 entries have been received, what would YOU do in that specific case?Considering that CAQ was/is considering bidding for the 2013 Oceania Zonal, the question is not just an academic one.

I would be going for the 11 player round robin option as this is the first stage of the Women's World Championship with a schedule similar to the one mentioned by heligan: (day by day - 1 round, 2 rounds, 2 rounds, 1 round, 2 rounds, 2 rounds, 1 round).

flukey
24-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Yes, it's only with specifically 11 or 12 entries that the problem is serious, especially when titles are awarded from the event. With 13-14 entries pairing nine rounds in a Swiss will get pretty ugly but should still work out OK. I'm not sure if there's any mathematical proof that a 9-round swiss with 11 entries can always even be paired legally, but assuming you can you'll still get only two players not getting a bye.

Also, for the great majority of potential female entrants the difference between what it would cost them to enter the Open and what it costs them to enter the Womens is minor (about $50-$150 AUS) compared to the costs of travel, accommodation etc. The exception is a lowish-rated WIM who isn't a national rep, eg Alex Jule could get into the Womens for free but would normally be up for $300 to play in the Open.

I don't really "get" Javier Gil's post. The organisers aren't forcing anyone to play in the Open but are just offering it as a way to maintain the playing conditions intended for the Womens instead of adding rounds. Far from this being "unprofessional" it seems more like they are trying to find the best solution to a tricky problem. (I also always think it's amusing that chess admins cop the label "unprofessional" when they do something somebody doesn't like while acting in a voluntary capacity.)

There is a broader issue of the multiple serious problems with Women's Zonals in Oceania zone generally (as qualifiers for the Women's World Champs, as title sources, as participation events - you name it), but that's a FIDE issue rather than one the organisers can or should resolve.

100% agree. I make it a policy to try to support excellent organisers / tourneys which is why I'm playing in this one after a years hiatus. All the Zonals I have been to have been excellent whether in Oz, NZ, or Fiji. And Paul Spiller's events are so well organised I am simply in awe of them.

Other organisers I have been very impressed with are Graeme Gardiner, David Cordover, Mike Steadman, and the Paul Spiller / Murray Chandler combo for the Queenstown Classic.

And then there is the tourney I played in in India (Asian Individual Champs) where the organisers refused to email me about where the accomodation was and then nicely forgot to pick me up from the airport. Fortunately they forgot many others so I banded together with Vietnamese, Malaysians, Borneo etc and we eventually got there!!!

heligan
24-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks to flukey and others for pointing out the facts of chess life. The Open is a stronger tournament, which is why I for one am playing in it rather than the Women's event. Others are welcome, but may (understandably) prefer the option of titles and prize money - that's entirely up to personal choice. In this particular case, the transfer of one woman would substantially ease the organisers' problems! But if no-one wants to move, we will happily run the necessary round-robin. The arbiters will just have to put in extra hours...

Craig_Hall
24-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Gee thanks... (just kidding) :D.

I have a feeling it's going to be a matter of luck as to whether or not a 9 round Swiss will actually work out with 11 players.

Capablanca-Fan
25-01-2011, 03:21 AM
100% agree.
Same here. They are giving an extra option to one woman that she didn't have before, as well as acting in the interests of the tournament as a whole, not depriving any one.

Lekko
25-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Will there be any live games?

GinoTHEstud
25-01-2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/livescores/

Kevin Bonham
25-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I believe today's games start 2 pm Aus DST (4 pm local).

Lekko
25-01-2011, 11:53 AM
http://www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/livescores/
Thanks.

ER
25-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks.
hmm this kid has good manners! :) (sometimes that is!) :P

Igor_Goldenberg
25-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Is the pairing available?

Garvinator
25-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Now we await results, either here or on the main website.

Interference
25-01-2011, 08:04 PM
http://web.mac.com/xrissmith/Chess/NZ/zonal2011.htm

If I hear anything.

Kevin Bonham
25-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Also might be worth keeping an eye on David Smerdon's blog at http://www.davidsmerdon.com/ Thus far has an intro item but no results.

flukey
25-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Smerdon drew (opponent played very well too) ... as far as I could tell most of the other top players won.

Kerry Stead
25-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Looks like Shaun Press has some brief results (and a bit more detail than other sources) on his blog http://chessexpress.blogspot.com/

Kevin Bonham
25-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Shaun writes:

For those looking fr live coverage, this is still a work in progress, with some cabling issue still being resolved.

That's encouraging in terms of the prospects of some tomorrow.

Craig_Hall
25-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Women's results and R2 pairings:

No Name Feder Rtg Total Result Name Feder Rtg Total

1 Gao, Judy NZL 1914 [0] 1:0 Chai, Hweimeen AUS [0]
2 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 [0] 0:1 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 [0]
3 Guo, Emma AUS 1969 [0] .5:.5 Drastik, Penelope AUS [0]
4 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 [0] 1:0 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 [0]
5 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ [0] 0:1 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 [0]
6 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 [0] 1:0 BYE

]No Name Feder Rtg Total Result Name Feder Rtg Total

1 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 [0] : Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ [0]
2 Drastik, Penelope AUS [.5] : Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 [1]
3 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 [1] : Guo, Emma AUS 1969 [.5]
4 Chai, Hweimeen AUS [0] : Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 [0]
5 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 [1] : Gao, Judy NZL 1914 [1]
6 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 [1] 1:0 BYE

Note that since this is now a round robin, all pairings will appear on the newzealandchess website in the near future.

Open results and R2 pairings:

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2586 [0] 1:0 Davis, Justin NZL 2023 [0]
2 Dordevic, Ivan NZL 2019 [0] .5:.5 Smerdon, David C AUS 2531 [0]
3 Xie, George AUS 2478 [0] 1:0 Fuatai, Fuatai NZL 2015 [0]
4 Safarian, Alek AUS 2013 [0] 0:1 Lane, Gary W AUS 2373 [0]
5 Cheng, Bobby AUS 2335 [0] 1:0 Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2011 [0]
6 Kempen, Leon AUS 2003 [0] 0:1 Ly, Moulthun AUS 2321 [0]
7 Illingworth, Max AUS 2311 [0] 1:0 Ansell, Alan NZL 2001 [0]
8 Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1975 [0] 0:1 Smith, Robert W NZL 2287 [0]
9 Reilly, Tim AUS 2276 [0] 1:0 Bennett, Hilton NZL 1974 [0]
10 Flitney, Adrian AUS 1973 [0] 0:1 Morris, James AUS 2270 [0]
11 Ikeda, Junta AUS 2262 [0] 1:0 Nyberg, Michael NZL 1969 [0]
12 Lynn, William NZL 1962 [0] 0:1 Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2262 [0]
13 Lukey, Stephen G NZL 2244 [0] 1:0 Wang, Oscar AUS 1942 [0]
14 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas AUS 1917 [0] 0:1 Steadman, Michael NZL 2242 [0]
15 Oliver, Gareth AUS 2210 [0] 1:0 Forster, William NZL 1908 [0]
16 Setiabudi, Allen AUS 1906 [0] 0:1 Brown, Andrew AUS 2175 [0]
17 Tan, Justin AUS 2161 [0] 1:0 Voon, Richard AUS 1904 [0]
18 Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1904 [0] 0:1 Schon, Eugene AUS 2157 [0]
19 Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 2152 [0] 1:0 Shaw, Robin A AUS 1903 [0]
20 Dolejs, Dan NZL 1892 [0] 0:1 Johnson, Quentin J F NZL 2128 [0]
21 Marcos, Joselito PNG 2095 [0] .5:.5 Gloistein, Bruce NZL 1817 [0]
22 Bishop, Joshua AUS 1797 [0] .5:.5 Jones, Brian A AUS 2067 [0]
23 Press, Shaun P PNG 2067 [0] .5:.5 Cooper, Nigel NZL 1769 [0]
24 Antoniazzi, Francesco AUS 1685 [0] 0:1 Pinic, Noel NZL 2058 [0]
25 Stevens, Tristan AUS 2050 [0] 1:0 Mitchell, Robert S NZL 1672 [0]
26 Bennett, Matthew AUS 1650 [0] .5:.5 Milligan, Helen NZL 2048 [0]
27 Zulfic, Fedja AUS 2024 [0] 1:0 Qin, Tomson AUS [0]
28 Yao, Winston NZL [0] .5:.5 Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2023 [0]

1 Lukey, Stephen G NZL 2244 [1] : Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2586 [1]
2 Steadman, Michael NZL 2242 [1] : Xie, George AUS 2478 [1]
3 Lane, Gary W AUS 2373 [1] : Oliver, Gareth AUS 2210 [1]
4 Brown, Andrew AUS 2175 [1] : Cheng, Bobby AUS 2335 [1]
5 Ly, Moulthun AUS 2321 [1] : Tan, Justin AUS 2161 [1]
6 Schon, Eugene AUS 2157 [1] : Illingworth, Max AUS 2311 [1]
7 Smith, Robert W NZL 2287 [1] : Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 2152 [1]
8 Johnson, Quentin J F NZL 2128 [1] : Reilly, Tim AUS 2276 [1]
9 Morris, James AUS 2270 [1] : Stevens, Tristan AUS 2050 [1]
10 Pinic, Noel NZL 2058 [1] : Ikeda, Junta AUS 2262 [1]
11 Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2262 [1] : Zulfic, Fedja AUS 2024 [1]
12 Smerdon, David C AUS 2531 [.5] : Bishop, Joshua AUS 1797 [.5]
13 Cooper, Nigel NZL 1769 [.5] : Marcos, Joselito PNG 2095 [.5]
14 Jones, Brian A AUS 2067 [.5] : Dordevic, Ivan NZL 2019 [.5]
15 Gloistein, Bruce NZL 1817 [.5] : Press, Shaun P PNG 2067 [.5]
16 Milligan, Helen NZL 2048 [.5] : Yao, Winston NZL [.5]
17 Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2023 [.5] : Bennett, Matthew AUS 1650 [.5]
18 Davis, Justin NZL 2023 [0] : Wang, Oscar AUS 1942 [0]
19 Fuatai, Fuatai NZL 2015 [0] : Deen-Cowell, Nicholas AUS 1917 [0]
20 Forster, William NZL 1908 [0] : Safarian, Alek AUS 2013 [0]
21 Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2011 [0] : Setiabudi, Allen AUS 1906 [0]
22 Voon, Richard AUS 1904 [0] : Kempen, Leon AUS 2003 [0]
23 Ansell, Alan NZL 2001 [0] : Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1904 [0]
24 Shaw, Robin A AUS 1903 [0] : Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1975 [0]
25 Bennett, Hilton NZL 1974 [0] : Dolejs, Dan NZL 1892 [0]
26 Mitchell, Robert S NZL 1672 [0] : Flitney, Adrian AUS 1973 [0]
27 Nyberg, Michael NZL 1969 [0] : Antoniazzi, Francesco AUS 1685 [0]
28 Qin, Tomson AUS [0] : Lynn, William NZL 1962 [0]

Kevin Bonham
25-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks Craig.

Great result for Penelope drawing with Emma with black, will be interesting to see that game.

The Bennett
25-01-2011, 09:14 PM
[code]No Name Feder Rtg Total Result Name Feder Rtg Total

Smerdon, David C AUS 2531 [.5] : Bishop, Joshua AUS 1797 [.5]

Ohh :( :( Cmon Josh!:owned: :owned:

Adamski
25-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Ohh :( :( Cmon Josh!:owned: :owned:
Well done Matthew in deawing with Helen. I see most results went with seedings. Cmon IM Gary Lane and FM Max Illingworth! And a tough draw for my mate flukey but the bigger they are....

Quite a few names among the Kiwis who bring back memories...None more so than my former chess admin colleague many times Secretary of the NZCA/ NZCF Bob Mitchell. Good luck guys!

Kerry Stead
25-01-2011, 11:00 PM
For those doubting the use of a large swiss in a zonal, look at the top 6 boards (in particular) in only the second round ... no easy games at all & I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few upsets as well!
I also think the debate from a few years ago about soft titles is well and truly finished ...

Kevin Bonham
25-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I also think the debate from a few years ago about soft titles is well and truly finished ...

Or perhaps on hold until a Zonal is next held outside Aus/NZ and attracts a smaller and weaker field. The organisers should be congratulated for attracting an Open Zonal field of this class.

I don't think there'll be any soft titles in the Open. Quite likely the IM title from the Open, if it goes at all, is going to go to someone like Cheng, Ly or Illingworth who are all knocking on the door anyway (Ly indeed is very nearly over the line by normal means) and they'll need to put in an IM-strength performance to get there as did Morris last time. For the FM titles there should be a fair pack of aspirants over 50% but given how many of them there are, it's likely whoever gets them will be on something like plus-two and probably performing over 2300. Again, young guns like Oliver, Brown, Tan, Schon are all FMs in waiting anyway.

The Women's titles will be softish compared to the normal title requirements, as most of the recent WIM/WFM titles in Oceania have been. It's quite likely at least one of the WIM aspirants can get to 7/10 and a c.2050 performance would be enough. For WFM aspirants a 1900-ish performance will probably be enough.

CivicChessMan
26-01-2011, 03:03 AM
From a Kiwi perspective:

Excellent result for Ivan Dordevic with a draw vs GM Smerdon. Winston Yao also drew with a much higher rated opponent Andrew Fitzpatrick. The three highest rated NZ'ers all won: Bob Smith, Stephen Lukey and Mike Steadman.

Lukey vs GM Zhao on board 1 in round 2, board 2 Steadman vs IM Xie, board 7 Smith vs Ogada-Osir and board 14 Brian Jones vs Dordevic.

Craig_Hall
26-01-2011, 08:12 AM
I'm still in the process of putting it up, but results, pairings and standings will be available at the Canterbury Chess Club website at www.chess.org.nz with the link to the Zonal page on the left. As time allows, I may also be able to post game results in this thread.

Craig_Hall
26-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Fitzpatrick 1 - 0 Bennett
Fuatai 1 - 0 Deen-Cowell
Nyberg 1 - 0 Antoniazzi
Wijesuriya 1 - 0 Vukikomoala

Alexrules01
26-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Is there anyway to view the games? Either a veiwer on the site or a pgn?

Chemi_cal
26-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks Craig! :)

GinoTHEstud
26-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Who are the arbiters?
any live games?

Craig_Hall
26-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Is there anyway to view the games? Either a veiwer on the site or a pgn?

Technical issues are interfering with our attempts to make board 1 available for live viewing, but hopefully we can resolve that at some stage. Games are being entered, so they may make it up during the event, as time allows.

Arbiters are Bob Gibbons (Chief Arbiter), Charles Zworestine (Deputy Chief Arbiter), Peter Stuart, Bruce Pollard and Craig Hall.

Steadman 0 - 1 Xie
Lane 1 - 0 Oliver
Ly 1 - 0 Tan
Feldman 1/2 Zulfic
Smerdon 1 - 0 Bishop
Cooper 0 - 1 Marcos
Jones 1/2 Dordevic
Davis 1 - 0 Wang
Voon 1/2 Kempen
Qin 1 - 0 Lynn
Drestik 0 - 1 Dekic

Chemi_cal
26-01-2011, 11:43 AM
any updates?

Craig_Hall
26-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Open Section R3 pairings:

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2586 [2] : Ly, Moulthun AUS 2321 [2]
2 Xie, George AUS 2478 [2] : Brown, Andrew AUS 2175 [2]
3 Ikeda, Junta AUS 2262 [2] : Lane, Gary W AUS 2373 [2]
4 Stevens, Tristan AUS 2050 [2] : Smerdon, David C AUS 2531 [1.5]
5 Illingworth, Max AUS 2311 [1.5] : Johnson, Quentin J F NZL 2128 [1.5]
6 Marcos, Joselito PNG 2095 [1.5] : Smith, Robert W NZL 2287 [1.5]
7 Reilly, Tim AUS 2276 [1.5] : Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2023 [1.5]
8 Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 2152 [1.5] : Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2262 [1.5]
9 Press, Shaun P PNG 2067 [1.5] : Schon, Eugene AUS 2157 [1.5]
10 Zulfic, Fedja AUS 2024 [1.5] : Morris, James AUS 2270 [1]
11 Cheng, Bobby AUS 2335 [1] : Fuatai, Fuatai NZL 2015 [1]
12 Dordevic, Ivan NZL 2019 [1] : Lukey, Stephen G NZL 2244 [1]
13 Safarian, Alek AUS 2013 [1] : Steadman, Michael NZL 2242 [1]
14 Oliver, Gareth AUS 2210 [1] : Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2011 [1]
15 Tan, Justin AUS 2161 [1] : Ansell, Alan NZL 2001 [1]
16 Bennett, Hilton NZL 1974 [1] : Jones, Brian A AUS 2067 [1]
17 Flitney, Adrian AUS 1973 [1] : Pinic, Noel NZL 2058 [1]
18 Nyberg, Michael NZL 1969 [1] : Milligan, Helen NZL 2048 [1]
19 Yao, Winston NZL [1] : Davis, Justin NZL 2023 [1]
20 Kempen, Leon AUS 2003 [.5] : Qin, Tomson AUS [1]
21 Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1975 [.5] : Gloistein, Bruce NZL 1817 [.5]
22 Bishop, Joshua AUS 1797 [.5] : Voon, Richard AUS 1904 [.5]
23 Bennett, Matthew AUS 1650 [.5] : Shaw, Robin A AUS 1903 [.5]
24 Lynn, William NZL 1962 [0] : Cooper, Nigel NZL 1769 [.5]
25 Wang, Oscar AUS 1942 [0] : Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1904 [0]
26 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas AUS 1917 [0] : Dolejs, Dan NZL 1892 [0]
27 Antoniazzi, Francesco AUS 1685 [0] : Forster, William NZL 1908 [0]
28 Setiabudi, Allen AUS 1906 [0] : Mitchell, Robert S NZL 1672 [0]

Open Section R2 results:

1 Lukey, Stephen G NZL 2244 [1] 0:1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2586 [1]
2 Steadman, Michael NZL 2242 [1] 0:1 Xie, George AUS 2478 [1]
3 Lane, Gary W AUS 2373 [1] 1:0 Oliver, Gareth AUS 2210 [1]
4 Brown, Andrew AUS 2175 [1] 1:0 Cheng, Bobby AUS 2335 [1]
5 Ly, Moulthun AUS 2321 [1] 1:0 Tan, Justin AUS 2161 [1]
6 Schon, Eugene AUS 2157 [1] .5:.5 Illingworth, Max AUS 2311 [1]
7 Smith, Robert W NZL 2287 [1] .5:.5 Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 2152 [1]
8 Johnson, Quentin J F NZL 2128 [1] .5:.5 Reilly, Tim AUS 2276 [1]
9 Morris, James AUS 2270 [1] 0:1 Stevens, Tristan AUS 2050 [1]
10 Pinic, Noel NZL 2058 [1] 0:1 Ikeda, Junta AUS 2262 [1]
11 Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2262 [1] .5:.5 Zulfic, Fedja AUS 2024 [1]
12 Smerdon, David C AUS 2531 [.5] 1:0 Bishop, Joshua AUS 1797 [.5]
13 Cooper, Nigel NZL 1769 [.5] 0:1 Marcos, Joselito PNG 2095 [.5]
14 Jones, Brian A AUS 2067 [.5] .5:.5 Dordevic, Ivan NZL 2019 [.5]
15 Gloistein, Bruce NZL 1817 [.5] 0:1 Press, Shaun P PNG 2067 [.5]
16 Milligan, Helen NZL 2048 [.5] .5:.5 Yao, Winston NZL [.5]
17 Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2023 [.5] 1:0 Bennett, Matthew AUS 1650 [.5]
18 Davis, Justin NZL 2023 [0] 1:0 Wang, Oscar AUS 1942 [0]
19 Fuatai, Fuatai NZL 2015 [0] 1:0 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas AUS 1917 [0]
20 Forster, William NZL 1908 [0] 0:1 Safarian, Alek AUS 2013 [0]
21 Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2011 [0] 1:0 Setiabudi, Allen AUS 1906 [0]
22 Voon, Richard AUS 1904 [0] .5:.5 Kempen, Leon AUS 2003 [0]
23 Ansell, Alan NZL 2001 [0] 1:0 Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1904 [0]
24 Shaw, Robin A AUS 1903 [0] .5:.5 Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1975 [0]
25 Bennett, Hilton NZL 1974 [0] 1:0 Dolejs, Dan NZL 1892 [0]
26 Mitchell, Robert S NZL 1672 [0] 0:1 Flitney, Adrian AUS 1973 [0]
27 Nyberg, Michael NZL 1969 [0] 1:0 Antoniazzi, Francesco AUS 1685 [0]
28 Qin, Tomson AUS [0] 1:0 Lynn, William NZL 1962 [0]

Open Section standings:

Place Name Feder Rtg Loc Title Score

1-7 Brown, Andrew AUS 2175 2168 2
Stevens, Tristan AUS 2050 2004 2
Ly, Moulthun AUS 2321 2288 2
Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2586 2579 gm 2
Lane, Gary W AUS 2373 2319 im 2
Ikeda, Junta AUS 2262 2238 fm 2
Xie, George AUS 2478 2463 im 2
8-19 Illingworth, Max AUS 2311 2284 fm 1.5
Smith, Robert W NZL 2287 2289 fm 1.5
Reilly, Tim AUS 2276 2358 fm 1.5
Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2262 2181 im 1.5
Schon, Eugene AUS 2157 2153 1.5
Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 2152 1997 1.5
Johnson, Quentin J F NZL 2128 2087 1.5
Zulfic, Fedja AUS 2024 1958 1.5
Smerdon, David C AUS 2531 2488 gm 1.5
Marcos, Joselito PNG 2095 1747 1.5
Press, Shaun P PNG 2067 1732 1.5
Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2023 1851 1.5
20-39 Cheng, Bobby AUS 2335 2207 fm 1
Morris, James AUS 2270 2190 im 1
Lukey, Stephen G NZL 2244 2304 fm 1
Steadman, Michael NZL 2242 2155 1
Oliver, Gareth AUS 2210 2167 1
Tan, Justin AUS 2161 2067 1
Pinic, Noel NZL 2058 1
Jones, Brian A AUS 2067 1968 fm 1
Milligan, Helen NZL 2048 1845 wfm 1
Dordevic, Ivan NZL 2019 1
Yao, Winston NZL 1500 1
Davis, Justin NZL 2023 1787 1
Fuatai, Fuatai NZL 2015 2049 1
Safarian, Alek AUS 2013 1951 1
Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2011 1859 1
Ansell, Alan NZL 2001 1884 1
Bennett, Hilton NZL 1974 1905 1
Flitney, Adrian AUS 1973 1764 1
Nyberg, Michael NZL 1969 1817 1
Qin, Tomson AUS 1028 1
40-47 Gloistein, Bruce NZL 1817 1480 0.5
Bishop, Joshua AUS 1797 1549 0.5
Cooper, Nigel NZL 1769 1488 0.5
Bennett, Matthew AUS 1650 1546 0.5
Kempen, Leon AUS 2003 1834 0.5
Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1975 1849 0.5
Voon, Richard AUS 1904 1758 0.5
Shaw, Robin A AUS 1903 1687 0.5
48-56 Lynn, William NZL 1962 1727 0
Wang, Oscar AUS 1942 1801 0
Deen-Cowell, Nicholas AUS 1917 1722 0
Forster, William NZL 1908 1852 0
Setiabudi, Allen AUS 1906 1864 0
Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1904 1671 0
Dolejs, Dan NZL 1892 1916 0
Antoniazzi, Francesco AUS 1685 1506 0
Mitchell, Robert S NZL 1672 1451 0

Women's Section R3 pairings:

No Name Feder Rtg Result Name Feder Rtg

1 Drastik, Penelope AUS : Smith, Vivian NZL 1810
2 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 : Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ
3 Chai, Hweimeen AUS : Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095
4 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 : Guo, Emma AUS 1969
5 Gao, Judy NZL 1914 : Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627
6 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 0:0 BYE

Women's Section R2 results:

1 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 1:0 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675
2 Guo, Emma AUS 1969 0:1 Chai, Hweimeen AUS
3 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 .5:.5 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238
4 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ 0:1 Drastik, Penelope AUS
5 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 1:0 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892
6 Gao, Judy NZL 1914 0:0 BYE

Women's Section standings:

1 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 1571 2
2-4 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 1949 wim 1.5
Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 2047 im 1.5
Drastik, Penelope AUS 1533 1.5
5-7 Gao, Judy NZL 1914 1616 1
Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 1397 1
Chai, Hweimeen AUS 1550 1
8 Guo, Emma AUS 1969 1856 wfm 0.5
9-11 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 1417 0
Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ 0
Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 1696 0

Craig_Hall
26-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Results, pairings and games are now available for viewing/download at the Canterbury Chess Club website at www.chess.org.nz with the link on the left hand side.

ER
26-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Open Section R3 pairings:

No Name Feder Rtg Total Result Name Feder Rtg 8 Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 2152 [1.5] : Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2262 [1.5]

Is that our very own (MMC's) Ibby?

Watto
26-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Women's Section R2 results:

1 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 1:0 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675
2 Guo, Emma AUS 1969 0:1 Chai, Hweimeen AUS
3 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 .5:.5 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238
4 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ 0:1 Drastik, Penelope AUS
5 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 1:0 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892
6 Gao, Judy NZL 1914 0:0 BYE

Thanks Craig for all the results and updates.
Something's wrong with the women's results above and also at the official results page here http://www.chess.org.nz/
It gives the same pairings for both round 2 and round 3 but with different results for the Setiabudi vs Tsoi and Guo vs Chai games. I suspect the ones above are wrong?

Kevin Bonham
26-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Womens results for round two @ http://www.chess.org.nz/zonal2011.html appear to be have the wrong names as the same draw is repeated for round 3. Judging from the games file the correct names for the round two results are

Wijesuriya 1-0 Vukikomoala
Drastik 0-1 Dekic
Berezina draw Guo
Chai 0-1 Setiabudi
Tsoi 1-0 Gao

The standings now appear to be correct.

Andrew Brown off to a great start with wins over Cheng and Xie. Smerdon held to another draw, by Tristan Stevens.

Craig_Hall
26-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Oops, talk about classic blunders! Fixed up now, should be correct.

Vin
26-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Fitzpatrick 1 - 0 Bennett
Fuatai 1 - 0 Deen-Cowell
Nyberg 1 - 0 Antoniazzi
Wijesuriya 1 - 0 Vukikomoala

Thanx.
why canterbury web pairings , results and standings wrong.
Is this official web page?

ER
26-01-2011, 08:04 PM
LOL too many canterburies you have to be more specific! :P
... and if Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 2152 is Ibby from the Melbourne Chess Club good on him and good luck to him!
I saw him last Sunday at the MCC playing blitz with Elie B.
Go IBBY!

Lekko
26-01-2011, 09:07 PM
LOL too many canterburies you have to be more specific! :P
... and if Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 2152 is Ibby from the Melbourne Chess Club good on him and good luck to him!
I saw him last Sunday at the MCC playing blitz with Elie B.
Go IBBY!
Let's hope all the MCC boys put in a good performance!

Adamski
26-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks, Craig, for the results and the fix. Already some very interesting results. Congratulations to OCC's Quentin Johnson on his draw in Rd 2 with Tim Reilly.

Kevin Bonham
26-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Guo - Drastik. Looks like Penelope has improved dramatically over the last year (I see her rating has shot up to the 1500s) and in this game she actually outplays the Olympiad rep, who in the end does well to create a danger pawn and give black a reason to think about a draw.

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.f4 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Bb5 Nd4 6.Bd3 d6 7.Nxd4 cxd4 8.Ne2 Nf6 9.c3 dxc3 10.dxc3 0-0 11.0-0 Bd7 12.h3 Qc7 13.Qe1 Rfc8 14.Qh4 Qc5+ 15.Kh2 Bb5 16.Bxb5 Qxb5 17.Re1 Qh5 18.Qxh5 Nxh5 19.Be3 Rc4 20.Bd4 Bxd4 21.cxd4 Rc2 22.Kg1 Rac8 23.g4 Nf6 24.e5 Nd5 25.f5 Rxb2 26.f6 dxe5 27.fxe7 Nxe7 28.Rab1 Rcc2 29.Rxb2 Rxb2 30.Nc1 Rc2 31.Nb3 Rxa2 32.Rxe5 Rb2 33.Nc5 Nc6 34.Re8+ Kg7 35.d5 Nd4 36.d6 Nf3+ 37.Kf1 Nh2+ 38.Kg1 Nf3+ 39.Kf1 draw

Dordevic - Smerdon. Quite an odd game. Despite being a pawn up with queens off the GM can't find a way to stop white drawing. It's not obvious where he missed a chance either. He could have taken with the knight on move 12 instead of the queen, keeping queens on, but white's counterplay might not have been too bad there.

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Nf3 Qxd5 5.Be2 Nc6 6.Nc3 Qh5 7.Bf4 0-0-0 8.0-0 Qf5 9.Be3 e5 10.d5 Nb4 11.h3 Bxf3 12.Bxf3 Qxc2 13.Rc1 Qxd1 14.Rfxd1 Kb8 15.a3 Na6 16.b4 Be7 17.g4 h6 18.h4 h5 19.g5 Ng4 20.Bxg4 hxg4 21.Ne4 b5 22.a4 Nxb4 23.Bxa7+ Kb7 24.Bc5 Nxd5 25.axb5 Rhe8 26.Bd6 cxd6 27.Rxd5 Rh8 28.b6 Rc8 29.Rxc8 Kxc8 30.Nxd6+ Bxd6 31.Rxd6 Rxh4 32.Rc6+ Kb8 33.Rc7 Rh5 34.g6 fxg6 35.Rxg7 Rg5 36.Kg2 Kc8 37.Kg3 Kb8 38.Kg2 Kc8 39.Kg3 draw

Brown - Cheng. On move 25 Bobby appears to have missed a beautiful idea that wins. Then while the players are maneuvering in a position that seems destined to be a draw he finds himself in a position where he needs to self-stalemate. Either he missed that or he wanted to play for a win in what actually turned out to be a very difficult endgame.

1.d4 e6 2.c4 f5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.g3 d5 5.Bg2 c6 6.Nf3 Bd6 7.Bf4 Bxf4 8.gxf4 0-0 9.e3 Ne4 10.Ne5 Nd7 11.Bxe4 fxe4 12.Nxd7 Bxd7 13.h4 b5 14.c5 b4 15.Ne2 a5 16.a3 Qb8 17.Rg1 Bc8 18.a4 Ba6 19.b3 Qd8 20.h5 Qh4 21.Ng3 Qh2 22.Rh1 Qg2 23.Qd2 Qf3 24.Rh2 Rf6 25.Rc1 Raf8 [Bobby misses 25...g5!! with the point that if 26.fxg5 Qxg3 27.fxg3 Rf1#] 26.Qd1 Qxd1+ 27.Rxd1 Rh6 28.Kd2 Rff6 29.Rdh1 Kf8 30.Rh4 Rf7 31.Rg4 Rhf6 32.Rg5 h6 33.Re5 Kg8 34.Rh4 Kf8 35.Rg4 Re7 36.Rg6 Kf7 37.Rg4 Kf8 38.Rh4 Ref7 39.Rh2 Re7 40.Rh3 Kf7 41.Rh4 Kf8 42.Kd1 Ref7 43.Ke1 Re7 44.f5 exf5 45.Rxf5 Ref7 46.Rxf6 Rxf6 47.Rh2 Kf7 48.Kd2 Rf3 49.Ke1 Kf6 50.Rg2 Kf7 51.Kd2 Bd3 52.Nh1 Rh3 53.Ng3 Kf6 54.Ne2 Bxe2 55.Rg6+ Kf5 56.Kxe2 Rxh5?! [Since the move played leaves black worse perhaps he should have stalemated himself with 56...Rxe3+! ] 57.Rxc6 Rh1 58.Rd6 h5? [58...Rb1 may save. Very messy though.] 59.Rxd5+ Kf6 60.c6 Rc1 61.Rxh5 Rxc6 62.Rxa5 Rc2+ 63.Kf1 Rb2 64.Re5 Rb1+ 65.Kg2 Rxb3 66.Rxe4 Ra3 67.Re5 Rxa4 68.Rb5 g6 69.Kf3 Ke6 70.Ke4 Ra2 71.f4 Rb2 72.Rb6+ Kf7 73.Ke5 b3 74.e4 Rb1 75.Rb7+ Ke8 76.d5 b2 77.d6 Kd8 78.Ke6 Kc8 79.Rb3 Re1 80.d7+ Kc7 81.Rc3+ Kb7 82.d8=Q b1=Q 83.Rc7+ Ka6 84.Qa8+ 1-0

This is the score currently available for Xie-Brown

1.Nf3 g6 2.e4 Bg7 3.d4 d6 4.c3 Nf6 5.Bd3 0-0 6.h3 e5 7.0-0 Nbd7 8.Re1 c6 9.a4 a5 10.Na3 Qc7 11.Be3 d5 12.Nxe5 Nxe4 13.f3 Nxe5 14.dxe5 Ng3 15.f4 f5 16.c4 Be6 17.cxd5 Bxd5 18.Nc4 Rad8 19.Bb6 Qe7 20.Nd6 Qh4 21.Qd2 Bh6 22.Be3 Nh5 23.Qf2 Qxf2+ 24.Bxf2 Bxf4 25.Bc4 Bg5 26.Bxd5+ cxd5 27.Nxb7 Rb8 28.Nc5 Rxb2 29.e6 Nf4 30.Ra3 Re8 31.Rf3 Re2 32.h4 Rxe1+ 33.Bxe1 Be7 remaining moves illegible ... 0-1

but I don't entirely trust it as there are lots of mistakes!

Craig_Hall
26-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Max Illingworth had a go at entering Xie-Brown, but after about move 24, it's impossible to read either player's scoresheet with any great accuracy (that was as far as I got before having to give up).

CivicChessMan
26-01-2011, 10:18 PM
From a Kiwi perspective:

Bob Smith is the leading NZer with 2.5/3. He drew in round 2 vs Ogada-Osir and then defeated PNG player Joselito Marcos in round 3. Meets Aussie Tristan Stevens in round 4. Five Kiwis are on 2 points: Lukey, Steadman, Davis, Ansell and Nyberg. Alan Ansell had a good win vs higher rated Justin Tan in round 3 as did Michael Nyberg vs Helen Milligan.

In the women's tournament, both Viv Smith and Nicole Tsoi have started well with 2/2 after 3 rounds (both have had a bye).

Craig_Hall
27-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Results of Women's Section R4:

1 Drastik, Penelope AUS .5:.5 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810
2 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 1:0 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ
3 Chai, Hweimeen AUS 0:1 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095
4 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 0:1 Guo, Emma AUS 1969
5 Gao, Judy NZL 1914 0:1 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627
6 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 0:0 BYE

Standings:

1 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 1949 wim 3.5
2-3 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 2047 im 3
Guo, Emma AUS 1969 1856 wfm 3
4 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 1571 2.5
5-7 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 1417 2
Drastik, Penelope AUS 1533 2
Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 1397 2
8-9 Gao, Judy NZL 1914 1616 1
Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 1696 1
10-11 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ 0
Chai, Hweimeen AUS 1550 0

We've also resolved the technical hitches so live games (http://www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/livescores) are available today (top 3 boards).

Igor_Goldenberg
27-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Kevin,

Where did you get the games?

Craig_Hall
27-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Kevin,

Where did you get the games?

www.chess.org.nz and then the link to the Zonal is on the left, including standings, results, pairings and games.

Craig_Hall
27-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Dolejs 1 - 0 Mitchell
Fuatai 1 - 0 Setiabudi
Shaw 0 - 1 Bishop

Igor_Goldenberg
27-01-2011, 02:30 PM
www.chess.org.nz and then the link to the Zonal is on the left, including standings, results, pairings and games.
Thanks!

Craig_Hall
27-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Feldman 1/2 Reilly
Smerdon 1-0 Lukey
Steadman 0-1 Cheng
Morris 1-0 Nyberg
Davis 0-1 Ikeda
Ansell 1-0 Ogada-Osir
Fitzpatrick 1/2 Marcos
Jones 0-1 Guo-Yuthok
Flitney 1-0 Press
Forster 1-0 Tan
Cooper 0-1 Dordevic
Qin 0-1 Safarian
Kumar 1-0 M Bennett
Wang 1-0 Yao
Gloistein 1-0 Lynn
Goundar 1-0 Antoniazzi

Garvinator
27-01-2011, 04:43 PM
For me, the link provided by Craig only works if you use http://www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/livescores/

the / is required at the end, otherwise I just get a blank screen with no games.

Tony Dowden
27-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Feldman 1/2 Reilly
Smerdon 1-0 Lukey
Steadman 0-1 Cheng
Morris 1-0 Nyberg
Davis 0-1 Ikeda
Ansell 1-0 Ogada-Osir
Fitzpatrick 1/2 Marcos
Jones 0-1 Guo-Yuthok
Flitney 1-0 Press
Forster 1-0 Tan
Cooper 0-1 Dordevic
Qin 0-1 Safarian
Kumar 1-0 M Bennett
Wang 1-0 Yao
Gloistein 1-0 Lynn
Goundar 1-0 Antoniazzi

Thanks Craig :D

Kevin Bonham
27-01-2011, 04:45 PM
For me, the link provided by Craig only works if you use http://www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/livescores/

the / is required at the end, otherwise I just get a blank screen with no games.

Same here.

Tony Dowden
27-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Good point Garvinator and KB

It also helps to be patient with some Kiwi sites ;)

Adamski
27-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Go IM Gary Lane and WIM Biljana Dekic (norths). Currently first equal and first respectively.

Craig_Hall
27-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Results, pairings, standings and games are now uploaded to:

www.chess.org.nz and the link to the Zonal page is on the left.

Xie - Brown has been re-entered by Andrew Brown, so hopefully it's accurate now. Schon - Xie has sadly had to be truncated due to illegible scoresheets, so will have to have one of them sort that out tomorrow.

Sorry about the incorrect link to the live games!

Tony Dowden
27-01-2011, 05:38 PM
:hmm: It already looks like the Aussie young guns will nab all the titles on offer.

Does anyone know why Moulthon Ly doesn't have the FM title? (He's been over 2300 for ages).

Qbert
27-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks, Craig, for the results and the fix. Already some very interesting results. Congratulations to OCC's Quentin Johnson on his draw in Rd 2 with Tim Reilly.
Thanks for the support Adamski :)
I should have lost then won then lost then won etc... in a mutual timescramble. It was a draw by the 40 move time control. probably the fairest result. Otherwise my results have been according to rating so far.

Kevin Bonham
27-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Does anyone know why Moulthon Ly doesn't have the FM title? (He's been over 2300 for ages).

Probably considered it not worth paying to apply for since it is inevitable he will be IM soon anyway. There have been a few other Australian cases of players eligible for FM not applying, eg Nick Speck. The ACF is reviewing payment policies following a recommendation from the National Conference this year.

CivicChessMan
27-01-2011, 05:59 PM
A mixed bag in round 4 for the Kiwis today. Bob Smith drew with Tristan Stevens and is joined by Alan Ansell on 3. Ansell won vs Ibrahim Ogada-Osir. Quentin Johnson won vs Leon Kempen and Noel Pinic beat Hilton Bennett to move to 2.5. Stephen Lukey, Mike Steadman and Justin Davis all lost, but in fairness, to higher rated players so not unexpected results. There are now 8 NZ'ers on 2 points. In round 5, it's Junta Ikeka vs Smith and Tim Reilly vs Ansell while Pinic has a tough one vs IM George Xie.

Five rounds have been played in the women's tournament. Viv Smith lost to Irina Berezina-Feldman in round 5 and is now 2.5 points behind the leader. Nicole Tsoi suffered defeats in rounds 4 and 5 so remains on 2 points while Judy Gao seems to be out of form and has just the one point.

Kevin Bonham
27-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Viv Smith lost to Irina Berezina-Feldman in round 5 and is now 2.5 points behind the leader.

Actually 2 points behind, one of which is the zero-point bye.

lost
27-01-2011, 08:29 PM
:hmm: It already looks like the Aussie young guns will nab all the titles on offer.

Doesn't want the FM title. Only IM or GM he wants!

lost

mikesguns
27-01-2011, 08:32 PM

lost
He could snag an IM, and maybe Eugene or Brown who are playing well might get a FM title

Adamski
27-01-2011, 10:14 PM
He could snag an IM, and maybe Eugene or Brown who are playing well might get a FM title
FM Max I from NSW could also snag an IM if results go his way.

Tony Dowden
27-01-2011, 10:39 PM

lost

Meaning he turns down a FM title if it is awarded in this event?!

Lekko
27-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Meaning he turns down a FM title if it is awarded in this event?!
Someone told me he didn't see the points in paying for a title that has no benefits? That's just hearsay though.

ER
27-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Someone told me he didn't see the points in paying for a title that has no benefits? That's just hearsay though.
Do they have to pay for it? Isn't the efford you put in it enough? Or does he mean postage etc?

Kevin Bonham
27-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Do they have to pay for it?

FIDE charge fees for titles. At present the ACF pays the full cost of GM and WGM titles and half the cost of IM and WIM titles, while new FMs and WFMs pay for their titles themselves.

One of the reasons the ACF is reviewing policies on this is that while a player themselves may experience no benefit in getting an FM title, opponents chasing norms can benefit from the player being titled - even, paradoxically, if the opponents are much stronger. For instance, it is possible in theory for someone's IM norm to hinge on whether or not the 1600s-rated female they played in round 1 had accepted a WFM title or not. (Even more absurdly, in principle an opponent having a WFM title can contribute to a player getting a GM norm, though in practice it's grossly unlikely to make a difference.)

MichaelBaron
28-01-2011, 01:48 AM
My favorite saying ''Regard all of your chess opponents as Masters ...unless in the course of the game they prove they are not''. M. Ly simply does not need a title since everyone knows he is a strong player. Neither do Speck or Illingworth. Ly, Illingworth, Ikeda, Rej, Cheng etc...who would question their Master status? The titles are completely meaningless to them!~

Capablanca-Fan
28-01-2011, 03:14 AM
It makes sense actually. The Weetbix-IM titles earned obtained at zonals have devalued the real thing as Ly would richly deserve (I think he is IM strength). Also, many silly organizers don't reward FM titles although they reward the much weaker WIM title.

Tony Dowden
28-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Sorry, I don't see how your reply relates to my comment. (Up-date: HBK: Now I see you were answering an earlier post. In any case Kevin has answered my initial query - I didn't realise players had to pay the FIDE fee for the FM title!)

Tony Dowden
28-01-2011, 06:37 AM
FIDE charge fees for titles. At present the ACF pays the full cost of GM and WGM titles and half the cost of IM and WIM titles, while new FMs and WFMs pay for their titles themselves.

Thanks KB, this clears up my confusion. I'd assumed ACF paid the full cost of all titles (like NZCF does).

I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed about the present policy. Isn't it a straightforward equity issue?

MichaelBaron
28-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks KB, this clears up my confusion. I'd assumed ACF paid the full cost of all titles (like NZCF does).

?

:clap: to the NZ chess federation

If I decide to start taking my chess seriously - I think it will be of benefit to change my citizenship to NZ. Some other benefits may include: qualifying for the ollympiad team, getting free board at some zonals (I think I am rated higher than all of the Kiwis at this Zonal) as well as commonwealth and Asian championships. And If I do stay in Australia - I will be a welcome participant in all of the Masters tournaments since i will be one of the 4 foreign players required.
And last but not least - calling a beautiful country (one of my favorite countries in the world) home! :)

Vlad
28-01-2011, 08:55 AM
I have to admit the main reason I personally applied for FM title 4 years ago was to provide opportunities for others to get norms. 3 month later in SIO 2008 Gareth Oliver (my former student) got his first norm, which would not be possible if I was not FM.

The title prices are as follows:
FM - 70 Euro, IM - 165 Euro, GM - 330 Euro. Because I am applying through the Russian Federation they charge 20% surcharge. So my FM title costed me 84 Euro and the IM title I am currently applying for is 198 Euro. Still peanuts compared to tickets from Sydney to Moscow.:)

MichaelBaron
28-01-2011, 09:46 AM
. Because I am applying through the Russian Federation they charge 20% surcharge.

Russia never runs out of ways to milk its citizens :)

Garvinator
28-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Andrew Brown has just defeated Gary Lane is 25 moves.

MichaelBaron
28-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Smerdon has better endgame against Morris. White has some drawing chances but its not easy to hold the position against a GM.

Zhao- Illingworth - Max is not losing!

Tony Dowden
28-01-2011, 10:12 AM
:clap: to the NZ chess federation

If I decide to start taking my chess seriously - I think it will be of benefit to change my citizenship to NZ. Some other benefits may include: qualifying for the ollympiad team, getting free board at some zonals (I think I am rated higher than all of the Kiwis at this Zonal) as well as commonwealth and Asian championships. And If I do stay in Australia - I will be a welcome participant in all of the Masters tournaments since i will be one of the 4 foreign players required.
And last but not least - calling a beautiful country (one of my favorite countries in the world) home! :)

Minor correction: I'm advised the NZCF pays fees for FIDE titles on a case-by-case basis. This avoids the Federation being taken advantage of strategic 'flag-changers' or by someone who owes the NZCF money and the like.

Vlad
28-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Zhao- Illingworth - Max is not losing!

Is not black lost? Don't think it was near equality even 10 moves ago.

Charles
28-01-2011, 10:42 AM
I have to admit the main reason I personally applied for FM title 4 years ago was to provide opportunities for others to get norms. 3 month later in SIO 2008 Gareth Oliver (my former student) got his first norm, which would not be possible if I was not FM.

The title prices are as follows:
FM - 70 Euro, IM - 165 Euro, GM - 330 Euro. Because I am applying through the Russian Federation they charge 20% surcharge. So my FM title costed me 84 Euro and the IM title I am currently applying for is 198 Euro. Still peanuts compared to tickets from Sydney to Moscow.:)

I would also have to say as an organiser I support a change if ACF will pay for all titles. Any additional titled players just makes a tournament a little more likely to help players achieve norms. Of course Vlad staying a Russian as he previously mentioned and people such as Erik retaining their overseas federation status is also excellent.

ER
28-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Minor correction: I'm advised the NZCF pays fees for FIDE titles on a case-by-case basis. This avoids the Federation being taken advantage of strategic 'flag-changers' or by someone who owes the NZCF money and the like.

hehe good on NZCF! :clap: :clap: :clap: Michael Baron serves you right you 'flag-changer'! :owned: :owned: :owned: Try Papua New Guinea next time! Brian might consider your application, or even better Palau! Lost will fix it for you no problems

Kevin Bonham
28-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Smerdon has better endgame against Morris. White has some drawing chances but its not easy to hold the position against a GM.

Morris has held it so another draw for Smerdon.

ER
28-01-2011, 10:58 AM

One of the reasons the ACF is reviewing policies on this is that while a player themselves may experience no benefit in getting an FM title, opponents chasing norms can benefit from the player being titled - even, paradoxically, if the opponents are much stronger. For instance, it is possible in theory for someone's IM norm to hinge on whether or not the 1600s-rated female they played in round 1 had accepted a WFM title or not. (Even more absurdly, in principle an opponent having a WFM title can contribute to a player getting a GM norm, though in practice it's grossly unlikely to make a difference.)

Thanks for the clarification Kevin!

Garvinator
28-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Is ZYZ/MI finished and just that clocks have not been stopped?

Kevin Bonham
28-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Is ZYZ/MI finished and just that clocks have not been stopped?

Still going on my screen, 49.f3 just played.

Garvinator
28-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Still going on my screen, 49.f3 just played.
Over now.

Craig_Hall
28-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Results, pairings and standings are up, games will follow shortly.

Tony Dowden
28-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Quentin Johnson 3.5/5 :clap: :clap: Go Otago!! :D

MichaelBaron
28-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Smith -Zhao...black is better already!

Lekko
28-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Anyone have a copy of Morris - Smerdon? I missed it.

Craig_Hall
28-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Smith 0-1 Zhao
Ly 1-0 Brown
Smerdon 1-0 Reilly
Schon 1-0 Flitney
Forster 1/2 Fitzpatrick
Goundar 1/2 Press
Milligan 1-0 Setiabudi
Davis 0-1 M Bennett
Antoniazzi 0-1 Tan
Lynn 0-1 Mitchell

Adamski
28-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Quentin Johnson 3.5/5 :clap: :clap: Go Otago!! :D
Amen to that!
Some big results. Andrew Brown is having a cracker.

Craig_Hall
28-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Results, pairings, standings and games are up.

Adamski
28-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Andrew Brown is having a cracker.I spoke too soon. Andrew lost to Moulthon.

Kevin Bonham
28-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I spoke too soon. Andrew lost to Moulthon.

Still doing very well though and still a good crack at an FM title.

Cheng - Ly tomorrow is a very big game.

Stevens is still hanging around in the title race, he's doing well. As is Ansell.

Guo is still leading the race for WIM with Tsoi the most serious challenger now (1.5 behind but that includes the zero bye).

Tony Dowden
28-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Good effort so far from Kiwi junior Alan Ansell who drew with "nearly GM" George Xie last round :clap: :clap:

Denis_Jessop
28-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I spoke too soon. Andrew lost to Moulthon.

Andrew was going very well but I'm not sure he has the staying power. Also he hasn't been playing much chess except for the odd major event recently so that may tell against him.

DJ

Adamski
28-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Stevens is still hanging around in the title race, he's doing well. As is Ansell.
I hope Ansell does not try moving his N from f4 to h2! I note that the infamous Ansell - Johansen game from Parramatta SIO 2010 features in IM Gary Lane's new book Prepare to Attack (Everyman Chess).

But on a more serious note, good to see the young Kiwi hope going well.

Tony Dowden
29-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I hope Ansell does not try moving his N from f4 to h2! ...

No disrespect to Darryl but it wouldn't have been a big deal if the highly experienced GM had called the illegal move against a very green and probably over-awed junior.

I reckon I've had upwards of 20 illegal moves played against me in match play match play - one nameless Cantabrian senior being a serial offender! Part of the game is to check that the rules are being observed.

Craig_Hall
29-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Women's Section R7 Results:

1 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 1:0 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627
2 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ 0:1 Gao, Judy NZL 1914
3 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 .5:.5 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675
4 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 1:0 Chai, Hweimeen AUS
5 Drastik, Penelope AUS 0:1 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238
6 Guo, Emma AUS 1969 0:0 BYE

Standings

1 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 1949 wim 6.5
2 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 2047 im 6
3 Guo, Emma AUS 1969 1856 wfm 4.5
4 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 1417 3.5
5-6 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 1571 wfm 3
Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 1696 3
7 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 1397 2.5
8-10 Drastik, Penelope AUS 1533 2
Gao, Judy NZL 1914 1616 2
Chai, Hweimeen AUS 1550 2
11 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ 0

MichaelBaron
29-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I love Illingworth's opening against Feldman - good approach against a lifelong Gruenfeld player :clap: . I better take a note of it, should I be white against Grunfeld players in future!

ER
29-01-2011, 01:12 PM
I love Illingworth's opening against Feldman - good approach against a lifelong Gruenfeld player :clap: . I better take a note of it, should I be white against Grunfeld players in future!

Max is an absolute champ, a future GM and a great kid! :clap:

Kerry Stead
29-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Zhao looks like he's after a picket fence! Nothing quiet against Smerdon!

Adamski
29-01-2011, 03:43 PM
No disrespect to Darryl but it wouldn't have been a big deal if the highly experienced GM had called the illegal move against a very green and probably over-awed junior.
Darryl didn't notice it in the time scramble or I am sure he would have pointed it out as it cost him a full point.

Kevin Bonham
29-01-2011, 04:23 PM
This comes up every Zonal - do we know what the tiebreak rules for titles in the two divisions are? Have these been officially posted at the venue or online?

Oepty
29-01-2011, 04:40 PM
This comes up every Zonal - do we know what the tiebreak rules for titles in the two divisions are? Have these been officially posted at the venue or online?

This website, I think the offical one even though results are going up elsewhere, http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Zonal2011/tournament.html says,

Under FIDE regulations for sub-Zonals run as swiss-system events, the maximum number of titles that can be awarded, without the prior approval of the Joint Chairmen of the Titles Commission, is 1xIM, 2xFM, 1xWIM and 1xWFM. Therefore some titles may be decided on tie-breaks.

FIDE rules on tie-breaks are complex. The exact details of the system in use will be put up here closer to the event.

The only thing I can find in the FIDE Handbook about tiebreaks in zonals is in,
http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=87&view=article
However it only mentions tiebreaks in regards to qualification to the next part of the WC cycle. Not sure how relevant it is.

Scott

Kevin Bonham
29-01-2011, 04:52 PM
However it only mentions tiebreaks in regards to qualification to the next part of the WC cycle. Not sure how relevant it is.

In the past it has been clear that tiebreaks for titles are different.

Oepty
29-01-2011, 05:00 PM
In the past it has been clear that tiebreaks for titles are different.

Okay, then if it is in the handbook I can not find it. If it is not in the handbook I have no idea where it would be.
Scott

Craig_Hall
29-01-2011, 05:01 PM
First tie-break for titles is sum of ratings, after that I forget without going back and looking them up.

Results and standings of R8 Women's Section:

1 Chai, Hweimeen AUS 1:0 Drastik, Penelope AUS
2 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 .5:.5 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892
3 Gao, Judy NZL 1914 1:0 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810
4 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 1:0 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ
5 Guo, Emma AUS 1969 1:0 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095
6 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 0:0 BYE

1 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 1949 wim 6.5
2 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 2047 im 6
3 Guo, Emma AUS 1969 1856 wfm 5.5
4 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 1417 4
5-6 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 1397 3.5
Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 1696 3.5
7-9 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 1571 wfm 3
Gao, Judy NZL 1914 1616 3
Chai, Hweimeen AUS 1550 3
10 Drastik, Penelope AUS 1533 2

Kevin Bonham
29-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Guo's win against Dekic not only gives Berezina the effective lead (since Dekic hasn't had the zero bye yet) but also means Emma now has an extremely strong chance of the WIM title.

Craig_Hall
29-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Pairings, standings, results and games are up.

Metro
29-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Pairings, standings, results and games are up.
Open

Round Eight Pairings

1 Cheng, Bobby AUS 2335 [5.5] : Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2586 [7]
2 Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2262 [5] : Xie, George AUS 2478 [5]
3 Ly, Moulthun AUS 2321 [5] : Illingworth, Max AUS 2311 [5]
4 Ikeda, Junta AUS 2262 [5] : Brown, Andrew AUS 2175 [5]
5 Smerdon, David C AUS 2531 [4.5] : Oliver, Gareth AUS 2210 [4.5]
6 Lane, Gary W AUS 2373 [4.5] : Reilly, Tim AUS 2276 [4.5]
7 Schon, Eugene AUS 2157 [4] : Safarian, Alek AUS 2013 [4.5]
8 Smith, Robert W NZL 2287 [4] : Dordevic, Ivan NZL 2019 [4]
9 Ansell, Alan NZL 2001 [4] : Lukey, Stephen G NZL 2244 [4]
10 Steadman, Michael NZL 2242 [4] : Stevens, Tristan AUS 2050 [4]
11 Fuatai, Fuatai NZL 2015 [3.5] : Zulfic, Fedja AUS 2024 [4]
12 Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2011 [3.5] : Morris, James AUS 2270 [3.5]
13 Wang, Oscar AUS 1942 [3.5] : Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 2152 [3.5]
14 Johnson, Quentin J F NZL 2128 [3.5] : Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2023 [3.5]
15 Voon, Richard AUS 1904 [3.5] : Press, Shaun P PNG 2067 [3.5]
16 Pinic, Noel NZL 2058 [3.5] : Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1975 [3.5]
17 Milligan, Helen NZL 2048 [3.5] : Flitney, Adrian AUS 1973 [3.5]
18 Jones, Brian A AUS 2067 [3] : Bennett, Matthew AUS 1650 [3.5]
19 Tan, Justin AUS 2161 [3] : Nyberg, Michael NZL 1969 [3]
20 Davis, Justin NZL 2023 [3] : Bennett, Hilton NZL 1974 [3]
21 Forster, William NZL 1908 [3] : Kempen, Leon AUS 2003 [3]
22 Setiabudi, Allen AUS 1906 [3] : Yao, Winston NZL [3]
23 Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1904 [2.5] : Deen-Cowell, Nicholas AUS 1917 [2.5]
24 Dolejs, Dan NZL 1892 [2.5] : Bishop, Joshua AUS 1797 [2.5]
25 Shaw, Robin A AUS 1903 [2] : Lynn, William NZL 1962 [1.5]
26 Cooper, Nigel NZL 1769 [2] : Gloistein, Bruce NZL 1817 [1.5]
27 Antoniazzi, Francesco AUS 1685 [1] : Qin, Tomson AUS [1]
28 Mitchell, Robert S NZL 1672 [2] : Marcos, Joselito PNG 2095 [2]

Metro
29-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Current Standings

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2586 2579 gm 7
2 Cheng, Bobby AUS 2335 2207 fm 5.5
3-8 Brown, Andrew AUS 2175 2168 5
Illingworth, Max AUS 2311 2284 fm 5
Ly, Moulthun AUS 2321 2288 5
Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2262 2181 im 5
Ikeda, Junta AUS 2262 2238 fm 5
Xie, George AUS 2478 2463 im 5
9-13 Lane, Gary W AUS 2373 2319 im 4.5
Smerdon, David C AUS 2531 2488 gm 4.5
Reilly, Tim AUS 2276 2358 fm 4.5
Oliver, Gareth AUS 2210 2167 4.5
Safarian, Alek AUS 2013 1951 4.5
14-21 Smith, Robert W NZL 2287 2289 fm 4
Stevens, Tristan AUS 2050 2004 4
Schon, Eugene AUS 2157 2153 4
Ansell, Alan NZL 2001 1884 4
Zulfic, Fedja AUS 2024 1958 4
Lukey, Stephen G NZL 2244 2304 fm 4
Steadman, Michael NZL 2242 2155 fm 4
Dordevic, Ivan NZL 2019 4
22-35 Morris, James AUS 2270 2190 im 3.5
Johnson, Quentin J F NZL 2128 2087 3.5
Pinic, Noel NZL 2058 3.5
Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2023 1851 3.5
Flitney, Adrian AUS 1973 1764 3.5
Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2011 1859 3.5
Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1975 1849 3.5
Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 2152 1997 3.5
Press, Shaun P PNG 2067 1732 3.5
Milligan, Helen NZL 2048 1845 wfm 3.5
Fuatai, Fuatai NZL 2015 2049 3.5
Voon, Richard AUS 1904 1758 3.5
Wang, Oscar AUS 1942 1801 3.5
Bennett, Matthew AUS 1650 1546 3.5
36-44 Nyberg, Michael NZL 1969 1817 3
Bennett, Hilton NZL 1974 1905 3
Jones, Brian A AUS 2067 1968 fm 3
Davis, Justin NZL 2023 1787 3
Forster, William NZL 1908 1852 3
Kempen, Leon AUS 2003 1834 3
Yao, Winston NZL 1500 3
Tan, Justin AUS 2161 2067 3
Setiabudi, Allen AUS 1906 1864 3
45-48 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas AUS 1917 1722 2.5
Bishop, Joshua AUS 1797 1549 2.5
Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1904 1671 2.5
Dolejs, Dan NZL 1892 1916 2.5
49-52 Marcos, Joselito PNG 2095 1747 2
Shaw, Robin A AUS 1903 1687 2
Cooper, Nigel NZL 1769 1488 2
Mitchell, Robert S NZL 1672 1451 2
53-54 Gloistein, Bruce NZL 1817 1480 1.5
Lynn, William NZL 1962 1727 1.5
55-56 Antoniazzi, Francesco AUS 1685 1506 1
Qin, Tomson AUS 1028 1

Can Bobby draw?

Bill Gletsos
29-01-2011, 06:48 PM
This website, I think the offical one even though results are going up elsewhere, http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Zonal2011/tournament.html says,

Under FIDE regulations for sub-Zonals run as swiss-system events, the maximum number of titles that can be awarded, without the prior approval of the Joint Chairmen of the Titles Commission, is 1xIM, 2xFM, 1xWIM and 1xWFM. Therefore some titles may be decided on tie-breaks.I believe that is incorrect and should say 2xWFM.

mikesguns
29-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I believe that is incorrect and should say 2xWFM.
How will they be awarded as the website says that WFM needs 4.5, but this is based on a 9 round swiss. It should be different in a 11 (10 games) round robin.

Kevin Bonham
29-01-2011, 07:10 PM
How will they be awarded as the website says that WFM needs 4.5, but this is based on a 9 round swiss. It should be different in a 11 (10 games) round robin.

On my reading they need 50% = 5 points. WIM needs 66.6% = 7 points.

mikesguns
29-01-2011, 07:25 PM
For a CM title the FIDE website states that you need a 40% score, although in the past few years people have not taken this title. It is because they have to pay for it, or is it because most people do not regard this a 'title worth getting', or is this title just not awarded at this zonal?

Kevin Bonham
29-01-2011, 07:43 PM
For a CM title the FIDE website states that you need a 40% score, although in the past few years people have not taken this title. It is because they have to pay for it, or is it because most people do not regard this a 'title worth getting', or is this title just not awarded at this zonal?

The first two reasons and not the third - it is awarded if anyone wants it.

The CM title is a FIDE revenue-raiser. They don't even consider it useful enough for a CM-holder to count as a titled opponent.

Oepty
29-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I believe that is incorrect and should say 2xWFM.

I don't know how many times I read that but I didn't pick up the error, LOL.
Scott

Tony Dowden
29-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Darryl didn't notice it in the time scramble or I am sure he would have pointed it out as it cost him a full point.
Yes, indeed ;)

Craig_Hall
30-01-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't think Helen has significant internet access, as seen by the general lack of updates of the official site. It should be 2 WFM (as noted), and the tiebreaks and women's revised schedule are missing (although they are, of course, available at the venue for the players).

As already posted earlier by KB, 5/10 is the mark for WFM and 7/10 for WIM - at this stage, I'd say Emma Guo is a good chance for the WIM title (she has already won this morning, so only need 0.5/2, but nobody can realistically catch her either), but the WFM titles are still open to most of the field.

In the open event, Cheng is obviously leading the charge at this stage for the IM title, but really, it's reasonably open to anyone on 4.5 or more since Cheng will probably lose to Zhao (based on Zhao's form), and there are bunch of people on 4.5 and 5 who are a reasonable chance to catch up.

The FM titles are also still wide open, although it looks like at least one of them will be a consolation prize to someone missing out on the IM title.

Meanwhile, there are still norms to consider - Cheng, Brown, Illingworth and Ly are there or thereabouts for average rating and score, but Ly, Illingworth and Cheng can't reach the 50% titled players requirement (Moulthun having the FM title would have been useful for the other two). Brown needs to beat Ikeda and get an IM or GM in the last round.

Craig_Hall
30-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Results and Standings of R9 for the Women's section:

1 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ 0:1 Guo, Emma AUS 1969
2 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 .5:.5 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627
3 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 0:1 Gao, Judy NZL 1914
4 Drastik, Penelope AUS .5:.5 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675
5 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 1:0 Chai, Hweimeen AUS
6 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 0:0 BYE

1 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 2047 im 7
2-3 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 1949 wim 6.5
Guo, Emma AUS 1969 1856 wfm 6.5
4 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 1417 4.5
5-6 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 1397 4
Gao, Judy NZL 1914 1616 4
7-8 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 1571 wfm 3.5
9 Chai, Hweimeen AUS 1550 3
10 Drastik, Penelope AUS 1533 2.5

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
30-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Craig Hall

Your sig link to the Zonal DGT boards, www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/livegames/ , doesn't appear to work.

http://www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/livescores/, as included in Tony Dowden's sig, does.

Tony Dowden
30-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Craig Hall

Your sig link to the Zonal DGT boards, www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/livegames/ , doesn't appear to work.

http://www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/livescores/, as included in Tony Dowden's sig, does.

Yes, the correct one reads "... scores", not "... games".

Good to see someone reads my sig, so maybe I should add something about the meaning of life, the universe and everything ;)

Kevin Bonham
30-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I always thought Cheng-Zhao was likely to be drawn given that Cheng was white and a draw clinched the tournament for Zhao. But even a draw allows others to contest the IM title in the final round.

Brown has beaten Ikeda so he might be on for an FM title that is also an IM norm (is it possible to get both simultaneously?)

Garvinator
30-01-2011, 05:15 PM
And now we await the final round pairings.

lost
30-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I always thought Cheng-Zhao was likely to be drawn given that Cheng was white and a draw clinched the tournament for Zhao. But even a draw allows others to contest the IM title in the final round.

Brown has beaten Ikeda so he might be on for an FM title that is also an IM norm (is it possible to get both simultaneously?)

I believe it is possible because there is no norms required for FM title and there is norms required for the IM title and because it is a zonal, its a 18 game norm as well.

lost

Oepty
30-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I believe it is possible because there is no norms required for FM title and there is norms required for the IM title and because it is a zonal, its a 18 game norm as well.

lost

It would be only 13 games not 18 games.
Scott

Oepty
30-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Meanwhile, there are still norms to consider - Cheng, Brown, Illingworth and Ly are there or thereabouts for average rating and score, but Ly, Illingworth and Cheng can't reach the 50% titled players requirement (Moulthun having the FM title would have been useful for the other two). Brown needs to beat Ikeda and get an IM or GM in the last round.

I have been reading the title requirements page from the handbook on the FIDE website, http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=58&view=article
It seems to me that players do not have to meet the 50% titled players or any requirement under 1.45 on the webpage although I am far from certain of this.

1.2 deals with international tournaments in tables below, including zonals. Before the table it states.

1.21 As indicated below, a player may gain a
(a) title from such an event or
(b) gain a single title result (norm). Then the requirements in 1.42 - 1.49 shall apply.
(c) gain a single performance norm. Then the requirements in 1.22, 1.42, 1.46-1.48 shall apply.

In the first table about Zonals and sub-zonals it states

1st, up to 3 players = title.
≥ 9 games ≥ 66 2/3% = title
≥ 9 games IM Performance counts as 13 games.

It says IM Performance, not norm, so I think it means 1.21(c). If it does mean that then the fact Ly, Illingworth and Cheng can not meet 50% titled players does not matter as 1.45 does not apply to the performance.

As I stated I am not entirely sure of this, can people please check and tell me whether I am right or wrong.
Scott

Edited to change 1.5 to 1.45 twice

Craig_Hall
30-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Pairings, games, results and standings are up.

A player can get the FM title and an IM norm. Players who aren't able to get a standard IM norm may still be able to get an IM performance norm (basically, performance rating of 2450+ after doing the standard rating adjustments, but don't need to play the required mix of titled players or federations), which counts as a 13 game norm. I didn't want to post it earlier because I wanted to check that it really was that easy, but after looking it over with Charles and Bob, it was agreed that it really was that easy. In saying that, we're still looking at a score of around 6.5 or 7, which some players are on track for.

Looking it over, Brown only needs to draw tomorrow (his adjusted average rating is just high enough to allow him to "get away" with 6.5), Cheng needs to win, and nobody else can get to 7. That said, if they both do that, they'll almost certainly get the titles outright anyway.

ER
30-01-2011, 07:22 PM

A player can get the FM title and an IM norm. Players who aren't able to get a standard IM norm may still be able to get an IM performance norm (basically, performance rating of 2450+ after doing the standard rating adjustments, but don't need to play the required mix of titled players or federations), which counts as a 13 game norm. I didn't want to post it earlier because I wanted to check that it really was that easy, but after looking it over with Charles and Bob, it was agreed that it really was that easy. In saying that, we're still looking at a score of around 6.5 or 7, which some players are on track for.

Looking it over, Brown only needs to draw tomorrow (his adjusted average rating is just high enough to allow him to "get away" with 6.5), Cheng needs to win, and nobody else can get to 7. That said, if they both do that, they'll almost certainly get the titles outright anyway.

Good work mate and thanks! :clap: What about the ladies? any calculations / predictions for them?

Oepty
30-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Okay so it does become quite a bit easier to get a norm at a zonal or an olympiad where the same applies. Thanks for clarifying that Craig, and Charles and Bob. I hope Charles is enjoying the tennis now.
Scott

Craig_Hall
30-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Too many unrated and low-rated players for it to be possible for the women - Emma will likely get the WIM title outright, and the average rating of the players is well under 2030, which is the lowest allowable average rating for norms.

Vlad
30-01-2011, 09:10 PM

My understanding is that if nobody gets 7 and a few people including Andrew get 6.5, then Andrew will get the title (advantage of being low rated, remember James 2 years ago).

If Bobby and Andrew get 7 (which is pretty unlikely) how exactly both can get titles? Is not the regulation clear that only 1 title is awarded? Thanks.

Oepty
30-01-2011, 09:26 PM
My understanding is that if nobody gets 7 and a few people including Andrew get 6.5, then Andrew will get the title (advantage of being low rated, remember James 2 years ago).

If Bobby and Andrew get 7 (which is pretty unlikely) how exactly both can get titles? Is not the regulation clear that only 1 title is awarded? Thanks.

He might have meant 1 IM and 1 FM title although Bobby already is an FM.
Scott

ER
30-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Too many unrated and low-rated players for it to be possible for the women - Emma will likely get the WIM title outright, and the average rating of the players is well under 2030, which is the lowest allowable average rating for norms.

Thanks again! Keep up the good work! :) :clap:

Bill Gletsos
30-01-2011, 09:58 PM
My understanding is that if nobody gets 7 and a few people including Andrew get 6.5, then Andrew will get the title (advantage of being low rated, remember James 2 years ago).Correct.

If Bobby and Andrew get 7 (which is pretty unlikely) how exactly both can get titles? Is not the regulation clear that only 1 title is awarded? Thanks.Andrew will get the IM title as he has the better tie-break.

By my calculations the respective tie-breaks are:

Brown - 18612
Illingworth - 18234
Ly - 18201
Cheng - 18069

Therefore if Illingworth gets to 6.5 and Brown remains on 6 then Max will get the IM title on tie-break even if Ly wins his game.

If Cheng draws and Brown loses and Ly wins then Ly will win the IM title on tie-break from Cheng.

Adamski
30-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Amidst all the speculation on titles and norms, I feel I should emphasise the obvious. I.e., a hugely impressive performance by GM Zong Yuan Zhao. :clap:

Oepty
30-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Amidst all the speculation on titles and norms, I feel I should emphasise the obvious. I.e., a hugely impressive performance by GM Zong Yuan Zhao. :clap:

Totally agree, he has dominated this tournament and shown why he is our number 1 player.
Feldman is having a good tournament as well.
Scott

Garrett
31-01-2011, 06:58 AM

:clap:

Yes, I am really looking forward to his round one clash in the next World Cup. Hopefully he can do us proud like David Smerdon did and maybe even go one better !

Igor_Goldenberg
31-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Zhao performance was above expectation, and that's despite extremely high expectation placed on him!

Garvinator
31-01-2011, 08:41 AM
:clap:

Yes, I am really looking forward to his round one clash in the next World Cup. Hopefully he can do us proud like David Smerdon did and maybe even go one better !At the 2007 World Cup, ZYZ played Carlsen in the first round.

Craig_Hall
31-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I realised I hadn't updated the women's section last night, my apologies for that. Round 10 results:

1 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 0:1 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238
2 Gao, Judy NZL 1914 1:0 Drastik, Penelope AUS
3 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 1:0 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892
4 Guo, Emma AUS 1969 1:0 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810
5 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 1:0 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ
6 Chai, Hweimeen AUS 0:0 BYE

And standings:

1 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 2047 im 8
2-3 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 1949 wim 7.5
Guo, Emma AUS 1969 1856 wfm 7.5
4-5 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 1397 5
Gao, Judy NZL 1914 1616 5
6 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 1417 4.5
7-8 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 1571 wfm 3.5

Emma is guaranteed the WIM title, so congratulations to her! The race for the WFM titles is still hot - any 2 of Megan, Judy and Nicole will get it, depending on results. Judy is playing Irina, Megan is playing Penelope and Nicole is playing Hweimeen, so Megan will probably get one of them.

Kevin Bonham
31-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Congratulations to IM-elect Andrew Brown! Andrew finished outright second on 7/9 and performed at 2549.

I believe Moulthun Ly qualifies for the FM title he could have already taken but hasn't, and the other FM title drifts down - not sure who to.

Lekko
31-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Congratulations to IM-elect Andrew Brown! Andrew finished outright second on 7/9 and performed at 2549.

I believe Moulthun Ly qualifies for the FM title he could have already taken but hasn't, and the other FM title drifts down - not sure who to.
Doesn't being 2300 make Moulthun an FM elect?

Garvinator
31-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Doesn't being 2300 make Moulthun an FM elect?As soon as a person passes 2300 they can get the title. There are no norms to reach. It is strictly on rating.

Oepty
31-01-2011, 12:07 PM

A great performance by Andrew Brown. To beat David Smerdon to achieve the title is brilliant. It would have been his second IM norm to go with his norm from the 2009 Queenstown Classic. His rating then was only 1987 and has gone up every tournament he has played since and he has gained 200 points in 2 years and it will be up alot more on the next list. A talent whose rating is still catching up. Congratulations Andrew.
Scott

Craig_Hall
31-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Women's Section R11 results:

1 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 .5:.5 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095
2 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 0:1 Guo, Emma AUS 1969
3 Drastik, Penelope AUS 0:1 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627
4 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 .5:.5 Gao, Judy NZL 1914
5 Chai, Hweimeen AUS 0:1 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675
6 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ 0:0 BYE

Final standings:

1-2 Berezina-Feldman, Irina AUS 2238 2047 im 8.5
Guo, Emma AUS 1969 1856 wfm 8.5
3 Dekic, Biljana AUS 2095 1949 wim 8
4 Setiabudi, Megan AUS 1627 1397 6
5-6 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1675 1417 5.5
Gao, Judy NZL 1914 1616 5.5
7 Smith, Vivian NZL 1810 1571 wfm 4
8 Wijesuriya, Vineetha AUS 1892 1696 3.5

Emma gets the WIM title as mentioned, and Megan gets one of the WFM titles. Going by tiebreaks, Nicole gets the other one.

The open still has one game going, but Andrew Brown obviously gets the IM title. Nobody (else) qualified for a norm or performance result as they didn't get 7 points against a ratings-adjusted field of 2230+ or 6.5 against a ratings-adjusted field of 2284+ (only Brown and Zhao played against a field that strong).

Luckily, Moulthun's lack of title didn't cost anyone a norm or performance result in the end, since nobody scored high enough for it to be relevant :).

It looks like one FM title almost certainly goes to Gareth Oliver (on tiebreak over Fedja Zulfic), and the other either goes to Moulthun, or Fedja Zulfic.

Kevin Bonham
31-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Doesn't being 2300 make Moulthun an FM elect?

Yes but he's never claimed the title. The question therefore is whether he notionally "wins" it from this Zonal, thus soaking up one of the two FM titles on offer, although he could have claimed it any time he likes, or whether both FM titles can be awarded to others. I don't know how FIDE handle this.

Craig_Hall
31-01-2011, 12:50 PM
It would have been his second IM norm to go with his norm from the 2009 Queenstown Classic.Scott

It's worth noting that Zonal norms count as 20 game norms, so it would have been enough, along with Queenstown (a 10 game norm) to get him the title once his rating reached 2400 (the requirement is 2 or more norms totalling at least 27 games - doesn't have to be 3). I snipped the rest of the post, but I agree, he played really well and deserves his title.

As Kevin says, we're not sure if Moulthun will get the other FM title or not.

Lekko
31-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I guess that means Eugene lost?

Kevin Bonham
31-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I think Zonal norms are only worth 13 games now.

Craig_Hall
31-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Possibly, but the title regulations as written say that an IM performance (2450+ after rating adjustments are applied) is a 13 game norm, and an actual IM norm is a 20 game norm.

Vlad
31-01-2011, 01:30 PM
It's worth noting that Zonal norms count as 20 game norms, so it would have been enough, along with Queenstown (a 10 game norm) to get him the title once his rating reached 2400 (the requirement is 2 or more norms totalling at least 27 games - doesn't have to be 3).

From July 2009 it is 13 game norm only.

I believe a similar situation happened a few zonals ago when Igor Bjelobrk achieved an FM title that he could previously claim on rating. As far as I remember the effective result was that NZ chess federation paid for Igor's title and he got FM title based on rating, while FM title was given to Aaron Guthrie.

flukey
31-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I guess that means Eugene lost?

I can confirm he did, unfortunately :)

Tony Dowden
31-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Congratulations to IM-elect Andrew Brown and the new FMs (once we know who they are). And thanks to Craig Hall for all that great work posting results here on ChessChat :clap: :clap: :clap:

:hmm: Hopefully this Zonal will mean that the ACF will review it's policy on paying FIDE fees so that it doesn't disadvantage anyone. And even more hopefully, there will be no more idle talk about 'soft' zonal titles.

Tony Dowden
31-01-2011, 01:39 PM

Not that you are complaining!

Lekko
31-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Costing juniors their master titles... I hope you're proud of yourself! :P

How long until the results are up Craig?

Tony Dowden
31-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Costing juniors their master titles... I hope you're proud of yourself! :P

How long until the results are up Craig?

The final results for both events are 'up' at http://www.chess.org.nz/

Vlad
31-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Possibly, but the title regulations as written say that an IM performance (2450+ after rating adjustments are applied) is a 13 game norm, and an actual IM norm is a 20 game norm.

I can only see the bit about 13 game (namely, ≥ 9 games IM Performance counts as 13 games, which is at the end of the first table in 1.24.), nothing is mentioned there about 20 game norm. I understand you are possibly trying to extrapolate from the information given about the Olympiad and Continentals, but that probably need to be confirmed with the qualification committee. It is possibly a job for Brian to do.:)

Craig_Hall
31-01-2011, 02:03 PM
I can only see the bit about 13 game (namely, ≥ 9 games IM Performance counts as 13 games, which is at the end of the first table in 1.24.), nothing is mentioned there about 20 game norm. I understand you are possibly trying to extrapolate from the information given about the Olympiad and Continentals, but that probably need to be confirmed with the qualification committee. It is possibly a job for Brian to do

1.2 Titles achieved from International Championships:
1.21 As indicated below, a player may gain a
(a) title from such an event or
(b) gain a single title result (norm). Then the requirements in 1.42 - 1.49 shall apply.
(c) gain a single performance norm. Then the requirements in 1.22, 1.42, 1.46-1.48 shall apply.
1.22 The minimum score is 35% for all titles. The result shown is the minimum required.
1.23 With the exception of IBCA, ICSC and IPCA, in the continental, regional or other associations’ competitions mentioned below, a title or result can be achieved only if at least 1/3 of the appropriate member federations participate in the event.
The minimum number of participants in the tournament is eight.
If groups are combined to make a bigger group, then the titles can be awarded to the best of subgroups, if the number of players in the subgroup is five for CM titles, and seven for FM titles.
1.24 A norm in Olympiad etc. (see the chart below) is worth 20 games; a performance result is worth 13 games.

The table below that is of the events that count as an International Championship - my reading of 1.24 is that Olympiad etc means it refers to everything in the table, which includes the Zonals (they're the last entry in the table).

Tan the Bdx Man
31-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Nice work Andrew free entry to tounaments now ;)

Vlad
31-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Yes, but in the case of Olympiad both 13 and 20 mentioned in the table. In the case of subzonals only 13 mentioned. That is why I am saying that it is at best ambiguous and requires clarification.

Bill Gletsos
31-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Possibly, but the title regulations as written say that an IM performance (2450+ after rating adjustments are applied) is a 13 game norm, and an actual IM norm is a 20 game norm.A 9 game IM performance in a Zonal/sub-zonal counts as a 13 game norm.

A 9 game IM norm (where the players meets all conditions including number opponents federations, number of titled players etc) also only counts as a 13 game norm.
In fact a 9 game IM norm in a Zonal carries no special significance.

It just so happens that a player who meets a 9 game IM norm also meets the 9 game IM Performance since a requirement of an IM Norm result is a performance of at least 2429.5.

Vlad
31-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Congratulations to Yuan, he had an amazing tournament! It shows though how difficult it is to be at the top: his rating increases by approximately 12 points from this tournament, but he lost about 19 from previous 2 tournaments, so overall his rating drops by 7 points and goes to 2579.

Congratulations also go to Andrew! Well deserved IM title goes to worthy recepient. It is already clear to me that IM title for Andrew is just the beginning. After 3 tournaments Andrew's rating goes by 100 points to 2275.

Interesting is also Molton's case. His current rating is 2321. After gold coast and open he gained 41 points, from the zonal he gained 17 points. So all in all he sits on 2379, which is 21 points short of claiming the title.

Bill Gletsos
31-01-2011, 02:46 PM
The only events where a >= 9 game norm is counted as a 20 game norm is at the Olympiad and the Continental Team Championship.

Charles
31-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Congratulations to all of the players who got titles. A lesson in perseverance and dedication getting you places in the world.

But a special thanks from me to the parents of the ACT players who achieved titles either here or recently.

These parents supported their kids and the ACTJCL for many years. Congratulations to Agus and Marieta Setiabudi, Jenni and Tony Oliver, Andrews parents (who I have only had the opportunity to meet once or twice), Mirabelle Guo, and Shun Ikeda (I am sorry I cannot remember Juntas mothers name as I only met her once).

Much of the foundation for these players was also set by Libby and Mike Smith and Jenni and Tony Oliver who were heavily involved in the ACTJCL development.

Well done to you and your kids (although as I look at them now they are not so much kids any more - I must be showing my age!)

Denis_Jessop
31-01-2011, 03:18 PM
A great performance by Andrew Brown. To beat David Smerdon to achieve the title is brilliant. It would have been his second IM norm to go with his norm from the 2009 Queenstown Classic. His rating then was only 1987 and has gone up every tournament he has played since and he has gained 200 points in 2 years and it will be up alot more on the next list. A talent whose rating is still catching up. Congratulations Andrew.
Scott

I agree - an excellent performance deserving hearty congratulations. I have been "watching" Andrew for some years now (at least 6) and he has put in impressive performances on a number of occasions. It is no surprise to me to see him doing well here as he has such a solid background of results. Beating David is special just the same and augurs well for the future if he keeps playing. (I have no idea what his intentions are in that regard.)

DJ

Alana
31-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Congratulations to all the new ACT titled players! Amazing to see that 3 ACT players managed to pick up titles in strong fields! :D

Kevin Bonham
31-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Surprised that Berezina took such a quick draw (21 moves) with white allowing Guo to catch her and force a playoff for the title and the qualification for the next Women's World Champs. I assume the playoff isn't finished yet and we'll know the result pretty soon.

Brown - Smerdon. At times Smerdon had more than enough play for the pawns he sacrificed but errors allowed Brown to get stuff off the board and left Smerdon with a poor position which Andrew accurately exploited.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 c5 4.d5 b5 5.dxe6 fxe6 6.cxb5 d5 7.e3 Bd6 8.Nc3 Nbd7 9.g3 0-0 10.Bg2 Bb7 11.0-0 Qe7 12.a4 e5 13.a5 a6?! 14.bxa6 Bc6 15.Nh4 [15.Ng5! limits black's options more and seems to force 15...e4 when 16.f3 exf3 17.Bxf3 and black has some compensation but it doesn't seem to be enough] 15...Qe6 16.e4 d4 17.Nf5 Bb8 18.Bh3 Kh8 19.Nd5 Nxd5 20.exd5 Qxd5 21.f3 Rf7 [21...Bb5 is quite unpleasant for white] 22.Bg5 c4? [22...e4 23.Ne7 Qxg5 24.Nxc6 Bxg3 25.fxe4 Rxf1+ 26.Qxf1 Bd6+ 27.Qg2 Qe3+ =] 23.Ne7 Qd6 [23...Rxe7 24.Bxe7 Rxa6 giving up the exchange might be black's best here.] 24.Nxc6 Qxc6 25.Qa4 Rxa6 26.Rfc1 h6 27.Bd2 c3 28.Qxc6 Rxc6 29.bxc3 Ba7 30.cxd4 Bxd4+ 31.Kg2 Nc5 32.Rab1 e4 33.f4 Rfc7 34.Bf5 g6 35.Rc4 gxf5 36.Rxd4 Nd3 37.Be3 Rc2+ 38.Kh3 Re2 39.Rd8+ Kh7 40.Bd4 Nf2+ 41.Kh4 Nd3 42.Rh8+ Kg6 43.Rb6+ Kf7 44.h3 Rec2 45.a6 1-0

Igor_Goldenberg
31-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Excellent result by Andrew. When I saw the opening I thought Smerdon is favourite, but Andrew proved me wrong :clap: :clap:

ER
31-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Congratulations to all of the players who got titles. A lesson in perseverance and dedication getting you places in the world.

But a special thanks from me to the parents of the ACT players who achieved titles either here or recently.

These parents supported their kids and the ACTJCL for many years. Congratulations to Agus and Marieta Setiabudi, Jenni and Tony Oliver, Andrews parents (who I have only had the opportunity to meet once or twice), Mirabelle Guo, and Shun Ikeda (I am sorry I cannot remember Juntas mothers name as I only met her once).

Much of the foundation for these players was also set by Libby and Mike Smith and Jenni and Tony Oliver who were heavily involved in the ACTJCL development.

Well done to you and your kids (although as I look at them now they are not so much kids any more - I must be showing my age!)

This is a really worthy post and a candidate for the post of the year award!
Acknowledging parents' contribution to the success of their children is of paramount importance!
Congratulations to parents from me too! :clap:

Desmond
31-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Well done especially to ZYZ and Andrew Brown. :clap: :clap:

Interesting that the top 9 boards all were wins for white in the final round.

Garvinator
31-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Are we off to Fiji in 2013?

Kevin Bonham
31-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I assume that even if Zulfic doesn't get FM he gets CM, if he wants it. He seems to have bobbed up out of nowhere; he drew with Feldman early which was a good result, then dropped back into the midfield and has suddenly popped up with wins in the last two rounds and a title of some sort but with a performance of about 2140.

Fedja's crucial last round win was spectacular and brilliant. I've been looking at it for quite a while trying different lines with Fritz trying to work out whether 22.Nxc5 is necessary or if he has a quieter path to a safe win. It looks to me like black's defensive options and counter-chances if white plays it safe shouldn't be underestimated and that the combo is correct.

Zulfic - Smith.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.a3 Bxc3+ 5.bxc3 c5 6.e3 Nc6 7.Bd3 d6 8.Nf3 Qe7 9.0-0 e5 10.d5 Nb8 [10...e4 11.dxc6 exd3 12.Qxd3 bxc6 13.e4 and white looks better] 11.e4 h6 12.Ne1 Nbd7 13.Bc2 g5 14.f3 Nf8 15.Ba4+ Kd8 16.Be3 Ng6 17.Nd3 b6 18.Qb3 Kc7 19.Bc6 Rb8 20.Qa4 a6 21.Rab1 Nf4 22.Nxc5!! dxc5 23.Rxb6! Rxb6 24.Qa5 Nd7 25.Rb1 Nd3 26.Bxd7 Kxd7 27.Rxb6 Rg8 [27...Ke8 28.g3! trapping the knight leads to very strong positions for white eg 28...f5 29.Qa4+ Qd7 30.Rc6 Kf7 31.exf5 Qd8 32.Qb3] 28.d6 Qe6 Makes it easier but it is lost now anyway. 29.Bxc5 Qxc4 30.Rc6! Qe6 [30...Kxc6 31.Qb6+ Kd7 32.Qc7+ Ke6 33.Qe7#] 31.Rc7+ Ke8 32.Re7+ Kf8 33.Rxe6 Bxe6 34.d7+ Kg7 35.d8=Q Rxd8 36.Qxd8 Nxc5 37.Qd6 Nb3 38.Qxa6 Nd2 39.a4 g4 40.Qd3 Nc4 41.fxg4 Kg6 42.h3 f6 43.Qd8 1-0

Libby2
31-01-2011, 06:20 PM

If you think you're showing your age - I first met Andrew when he and Kayleigh played each other for the first time in a 5-player ACT U8 Championship (we had 40 kids in the event by the following year). Andrew was 7 and Kayleigh was 6, and Michael Brown and I were there as a pair of clueless parents.

I should have taught Kayleigh to hustle better. She won the practice game before the event. He won the real one.

I guess he still is winning the real ones. Well done to Andrew, to all the ACT players, and to a strong showing from all Australian participants.:clap:

Adamski
31-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Congratulations to IM-elect Andrew Brown and the new FMs (once we know who they are). And thanks to Craig Hall for all that great work posting results here on ChessChat :clap: :clap: :clap:

:hmm: Hopefully this Zonal will mean that the ACF will review it's policy on paying FIDE fees so that it doesn't disadvantage anyone. And even more hopefully, there will be no more idle talk about 'soft' zonal titles.
And so say all of us. Plus congrats to Yuan and Emma and Irina.

Tony Dowden
31-01-2011, 06:38 PM
... Fedja (Zulfic's) crucial last round win was spectacular and brilliant. I've been looking at it for quite a while trying different lines with Fritz trying to work out whether 22.Nxc5 is necessary or if he has a quieter path to a safe win. It looks to me like black's defensive options and counter-chances if white plays it safe shouldn't be underestimated and that the combo is correct ...

A lovely win by Fedja - fully appreciating the 'critical moment' after 21...Nf4 and befitting of the kind of effort needed to win the FM title :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tony Dowden
31-01-2011, 06:42 PM
And so say all of us. Plus congrats to Yuan and Emma and Irina.

Yes indeed, congrats to all the place-getters and masters-elect :clap: :clap:

Oepty
31-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Craig Hall, thankyou for your updates here on chesschat and on the website that made the tournament all the more enjoyable. You did a great job, well done
Scott

Craig_Hall
31-01-2011, 08:08 PM
The only events where a >= 9 game norm is counted as a 20 game norm is at the Olympiad and the Continental Team Championship.

When did it change? According to this post (http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=228146&postcount=267) here on Chesschat:

At the 2007 Oceania Zonal Igor gained a 20 game IM norm.

This is referring to Igor Goldenberg's IM title, which is based on a 10 game IM norm at Queenstown and a 20 game Zonal norm - here's a link (http://ratings.fide.com/title_applications.phtml?details=1&id=3201970&title=IM&pb=24) to Igor Goldenberg's IM title application, which only has 2 events - 10 games at Queenstown, and the 2007 Zonal norm, which must be worth 20 games (or somewhat more than 13, at least).

If it has changed, that's all well and good, but trawling around the FIDE handbook didn't find much one way or the other on the subject, and I couldn't find a list of recent changes either way.

Bill Gletsos
31-01-2011, 08:27 PM
When did it change? According to this post (http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=228146&postcount=267) here on Chesschat:

This is referring to Igor Goldenberg's IM title, which is based on a 10 game IM norm at Queenstown and a 20 game Zonal norm - here's a link (http://ratings.fide.com/title_applications.phtml?details=1&id=3201970&title=IM&pb=24) to Igor Goldenberg's IM title application, which only has 2 events - 10 games at Queenstown, and the 2007 Zonal norm, which must be worth 20 games (or somewhat more than 13, at least).

If it has changed, that's all well and good, but trawling around the FIDE handbook didn't find much one way or the other on the subject, and I couldn't find a list of recent changes either way.FIDE changed it from a 20 game norm to a 13 game norm as of 1st July 2009.