PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix Concerns

Paul S
27-08-2004, 01:32 AM
The ACF has ultimate responsibility for the Grand Joke (Grand Prix), but has apparently not bothered to ensure that the Grand Joke website has been updated for 6 months (last update 27/2/04)! Is this good for Australian Chess when chess players look at the weekly ACF email Bulletin they see in the "Upcoming Tournaments" section the comment that "these details are provisional - check the Grand Joke website for up to date information" (or words to that effect)? Hmmm, is it better to rely on something that has not been updated fro 6 months or something that has been updated in the last week or two?

I am ****** off that despite the legitimate criticisims (from BB members amongst others) of lack of updates with the Cordover run 2003 Grand Joke that NOTHING has changed for 2004! The ACF needs to get rid of the Grand Joke for 2005 - it is an embarrassment to Australian Chess and can only turn potential sponsors away from chess!

The few people who are interested in the Grand Prix and want to get information look at the 2004 Grand Joke website and see the contact details. They try the mobile and (due to Bob Keast having got a new job 4 months ago) get the message (for the last 4 months) "this phone number has been disconnected" so they try email (which for the same reason bounces for the last 4 months), then they try the landline (which appears to be Bob's old work number) and if they haven't given up by now they try snail mail (Bob Keast c/- NSWCA) which would probably take a month before such a letter is acted on (delays in NSWCA passing on to Bob and then Bob to Garvin etc). Also, how can players check up on their progress (and check that their scores and those of their competitors have been entered correctly)?

In light of the 2003 Grand Joke shemozzle and the fact that there is now a perfectly good website already set up for it (set up by Bob Keast earlier this year), it is extremely negligent of the ACF to have not bothered to ensure the 2004 GP (or should I say GJ) website gets regularly updated (by regular updates I mean once a month or at worst once every 2 months - or is this too much to expect? ). If the ACF cannot bother to ensure the GJ website is updated regularly, then it should remove the GP link on its website (and remove all references to the website on its email bulleitns).

I don't mean for the above to come across as having a go at Garvin Gray or Paul Broekhuyse and I think this whole Grand Joke shemozzle is symptomatic of what I regard as the biggest problem in chess (not enough people doing the organising/admin work). Yet at the same time, this farce (Grand Joke) must end - enough is enough!

Garvinator
27-08-2004, 01:40 AM
hello paul,

Might have wanted to send me a pm first before giving everyone and mostly myself(as i take it) a spray. Or is there another agenda?

This link might help for you http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1010&page=1

I have been slaving away to get the six divisions results up to date. They should be done and ready on September 1 (or very close to) in spreadsheet format.

I will then post them on here for viewing and if no errors are found, they will then be sent to the state secretaries (or reliable state ppl).

Regarding Bobs site, mainly it is still up there for the tournament calendar. I cant access it, so i cant change it. I dont have any website creation knowledge, so i cant build a new one myself. :(

Its nice to see that i am in the firing line for the mistakes of others :evil:

Paul S
27-08-2004, 02:13 AM
hello paul,

Might have wanted to send me a pm first before giving everyone and mostly myself(as i take it) a spray. Or is there another agenda?

This link might help for you http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1010&page=1

I have been slaving away to get the six divisions results up to date. They should be done and ready on September 1 (or very close to) in spreadsheet format.

I will then post them on here for viewing and if no errors are found, they will then be sent to the state secretaries (or reliable state ppl).

Regarding Bobs site, mainly it is still up there for the tournament calendar. I cant access it, so i cant change it. I dont have any website creation knowledge, so i cant build a new one myself. :(

Its nice to see that i am in the firing line for the mistakes of others :evil:

Garvin

I am aware that you have been slaving away under less than ideal circumstances.

While it may not seem that way to you, I wasn't having a go at anyone in particular.

Regardless of whose fault it is (BTW, I am not after scapegoats), it is appalling that incorrect GP contact details have been on the GP website for 4 months and that nobody from the ACF has bothered to do anything about the GP website for 6 months (ensure it is updated).

I am amazed that it appears that nobody from the ACF has bothered to contact Bob Keast about updating the Grand Joke website. I know Bob reasonably well and I find it hard to believe that:
1) In April Bob would not have notified someone in the ACF that he would be unable to update the GP due to his new job commitments.
2) Even if 1) above was not the case that nobody from the ACF appears to have bothered to pick up a phone and ring him at home to find out why the GP results had not been updated since 27/2/04.

As for "hidden agendas", my only "agenda" is that I am appalled that after the 2003 Grand Joke shemozzle things seem to be still the same as last year and that a well constructed GP website is going to waste.

Much like you, my own website skills are almost non-existant. Yet I don't see why (apparently) nobody from the ACF have bothered to contact Bob Keast to get the appropriate details of how to access and update the GP website (I am sure that he would be only too happy to provide the ACF with the relevant information to enable others to access and update his GP website). I also don't see why after 6 months if you (like myself) don't have the necessary web skills to update the GP website that someone else in the ACF can't do this task instead (while you slave away at the more difficult stuff of collating the results).

As for "the website being up there mainly for the tournament calender", I notice some discrepancies between the GP website calender and the "Upcoming Tournaments" in the ACF Weekly email bulletin (name changes of tournament, another apparently withdrawn from GP etc). So it seems a lame excuse to me for having the website up just solely for the calendar.

P.S. To try and help you out, about 6 weeks ago I sent you a PM giving you Bob's home phone number and address. Did you make use of this information (ie did you contact Bob?).

arosar
27-08-2004, 09:44 AM
Dunno about the rest of youse but I feel rather sympathetic to gray . . . funny that!

AR

Garvinator
27-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Dunno about the rest of youse but I feel rather sympathetic to gray . . . funny that!

AR
wonders will never cease ;) and there goes some pigs outside my window :lol:

doc
27-08-2004, 11:40 AM
P.S. To try and help you out, about 6 weeks ago I sent you a PM giving you Bob's home phone number and address. Did you make use of this information (ie did you contact Bob?).
Do not avoid the issue Garvin. Answer the man's question. This issue re website updating began with me yesterday and this is a big issue. THis GP website is not up to scratch. If you didn't know how to do a website, you should have, gee i don't know, ASK SOMEONE WHO DOES. Where is the accountability? Stop passing the buck all the time and actually do something. You claim to be this big contributor to aus chess and you seem to be constantly referring to your position in the ACF, and look at the final result on the sushi train. Nothing. Nil. Zippo.

Bill Gletsos
27-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Garvin

I am aware that you have been slaving away under less than ideal circumstances.

While it may not seem that way to you, I wasn't having a go at anyone in particular.

Regardless of whose fault it is (BTW, I am not after scapegoats), it is appalling that incorrect GP contact details have been on the GP website for 4 months and that nobody from the ACF has bothered to do anything about the GP website for 6 months (ensure it is updated).

I am amazed that it appears that nobody from the ACF has bothered to contact Bob Keast about updating the Grand Joke website. I know Bob reasonably well and I find it hard to believe that:
1) In April Bob would not have notified someone in the ACF that he would be unable to update the GP due to his new job commitments.
2) Even if 1) above was not the case that nobody from the ACF appears to have bothered to pick up a phone and ring him at home to find out why the GP results had not been updated since 27/2/04.

As for "hidden agendas", my only "agenda" is that I am appalled that after the 2003 Grand Joke shemozzle things seem to be still the same as last year and that a well constructed GP website is going to waste.

Much like you, my own website skills are almost non-existant. Yet I don't see why (apparently) nobody from the ACF have bothered to contact Bob Keast to get the appropriate details of how to access and update the GP website (I am sure that he would be only too happy to provide the ACF with the relevant information to enable others to access and update his GP website). I also don't see why after 6 months if you (like myself) don't have the necessary web skills to update the GP website that someone else in the ACF can't do this task instead (while you slave away at the more difficult stuff of collating the results).

As for "the website being up there mainly for the tournament calender", I notice some discrepancies between the GP website calender and the "Upcoming Tournaments" in the ACF Weekly email bulletin (name changes of tournament, another apparently withdrawn from GP etc). So it seems a lame excuse to me for having the website up just solely for the calendar.

Firstly the GP web site is not under the ACF or garvins control. it belongs to a relative of Bob's. Therefore we cannot change it.
Also to be fair to gravin, as far as I am aware Bob Unfortunately did not inform the ACF he would no longer be able to carry out the role of GP co-ordinator. He just stopped doing it due to other issues unrelated to chess.

Based on this the ACF appointed Garvin as the GP co-ordinator via email vote in the past month.
I'll suggest to paulb that he remove the link to Bobs GP web site from the ACF web page.

Paul S
27-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Firstly the GP web site is not under the ACF or garvins control.

While this is true (at present), the Grand Joke is ultimately the responsibility of the ACF.

it belongs to a relative of Bob's.

I was aware that the GP website was set up by Bob Keast's son, Chris Logan (don't ask me why his surname is different to Bob's - I have no idea) and that it is a part of his main website www.loganarts.com .

Therefore we cannot change it.

So why hasn't the ACF bothered to contact Bob Keast and arrange to have this subset of Chris Logan's website (ie the GP part) transferred over to someone in the ACF (or working on behalf of the ACF)?

After all, why would Bob (or his son) WANT to hang on to the GP website, now that Bob no longer has the time/availability to be involved with the GP?

Also to be fair to gravin, as far as I am aware Bob Unfortunately did not inform the ACF he would no longer be able to carry out the role of GP co-ordinator. He just stopped doing it due to other issues unrelated to chess.

What is so hard about making a telephone call to Bob Keast's home? Why hasn't anyone from the ACF seen fit to do this for (apparently) at least the last 4 months? Is the ACF really interested in the Grand Joke or not?

Based on this the ACF appointed Garvin as the GP co-ordinator via email vote in the past month.

Why wasn't this done 4 months ago? What is so difficult about someone from the ACF making a telephone call to Bob Keast's home?

I'll suggest to paulb that he remove the link to Bobs GP web site from the ACF web page.

Great solution, Bill! Rather than have somebody from the ACF make a simple phone call to Bob Keast and arrange with Bob (and his son) for the ACF to have use of the professional looking website (although it does have a couple of minor bugs in it) for the Grand Joke, lets just get rid of the website altogether! What a waste of Chris Logan's time and effort! Throw the baby out with the bathwater!

P.S. Bill, I'm not entirely surprised that you and the ACF find it apparently incomprehensible to make a simple phone call to resolve an issue. When I was on the NSWCA Council last year I found it a bit bizzare that during the course of my 12 months on NSWCA Council I never received one phone call from any of my fellow Councillors (during which time I made probably around 20 to my fellow NSWCA Councillors).

Bill Gletsos
27-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Why wasn't this done 4 months ago? What is so difficult about making a simple telephone call?
I know that I personally tried on a number of occasions to call Bob at home and received no answer. The phone just rang out.
Maybe I was just unlucky. :hmm:

Paul S
27-08-2004, 08:16 PM
I know that I personally tried on a number of occasions to call Bob at home and received no answer. The phone just rang out.

I have rarely rung Bob in recent times (last time was about 6 weeks ago). When I have rung his home number I cannot recall his phone ever ringing out (either his wife/in-laws answer or I leave a message on the answering machine).

Bill Gletsos
27-08-2004, 08:22 PM
I have rarely rung Bob in recent times (last time was about 6 weeks ago). When I have rung his home number I cannot recall his phone ever ringing out (either his wife/in-laws answer or I leave a message on the answering machine).
Your experience matches my previous experiences.

Paul S
27-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Do not avoid the issue Garvin. Answer the man's question. This issue re website updating began with me yesterday and this is a big issue. THis GP website is not up to scratch. If you didn't know how to do a website, you should have, gee i don't know, ASK SOMEONE WHO DOES. Where is the accountability?

Good comments, Doc! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paul S
27-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Your experience matches my previous experiences.

It does not.

Read my answer and your answer more closely!

Bill Gletsos
27-08-2004, 08:29 PM
When I was on the NSWCA Council last year I found it a bit bizzare that during the course of my 12 months on NSWCA Council I never received one phone call from any of my fellow Councillors (during which time I made probably around 20 to my fellow NSWCA Councillors).
I know for a fact I rang and spoke to you on your home phone at least once if not more. I think I even rang you at work.

I know I have spoken to Norm G, Peter C, Richard G-H and Steve C on numerous occasions on the phone both last year and this year. This year I also spoke to Ralph on many occasions.

All that aside, between meetings the majority of NSWCA council business can be handled by email.

Bill Gletsos
27-08-2004, 08:31 PM
It does not.

Read my answer and your answer more closely!
I think you are misunderstanding me.
In the past my experience with Bob was as you described. i.e. He or his wife or the answering machine answered the phone.

Paul S
27-08-2004, 08:43 PM
I know for a fact I rang and spoke to you on your home phone at least once if not more. I think I even rang you at work.

I may be wrong here (although I don't think so), but I cannot recall receiving a phone call from you last year. Perhaps you may have been mistaking it with one of the times I rang you?

I know I have spoken to Norm G, Peter C, Richard G-H and Steve C on numerous occasions on the phone both last year and this year. This year I also spoke to Ralph on many occasions.

I'm sure you did, due to their positions (roles) on NSWCA Council. Don't misunderstand me, I am not angry/upset that I did not receive any phone calls from my fellow Councillors during 2003, which I think is partly explained by my having only a minor Council role (Member Without Portfolio), although I did do a few useful things during my time (eg I was NSWCA contact person for enquiries for about 6 months, did most of the drafting of the Opinion Survey and was mainly responsible for updating the "Sydney part" of the NSW Chess Club Directory etc). Rather it just seems (to me) a bit bizzare to to have never received (to my recollection) one phone call from any of my fellow Councillors during my year on NSWCA Council.

All that aside, between meetings the majority of NSWCA council business can be handled by email.

I agree. The medium of email overall worked very well during my time on NSWCA Council last year (although it had some drawbacks, viz with Norm Greenwood's email being off line for about 3 months).

Paul S
27-08-2004, 08:51 PM
I think you are misunderstanding me.
In the past my experience with Bob was as you described. i.e. He or his wife or the answering machine answered the phone.

OK, I accept your word for it. Its just that in post number 9 you said:

I had interpreted this to mean that when you rang Bob's home 1) nobody was available to answer the phone and 2) there was noanswering machine on and 3) after the 20-25 odd rings or so the line would "ring out" (ie go dead).

PHAT
28-08-2004, 12:35 AM

You never rang me about anything, pr.ck.

Bill Gletsos
28-08-2004, 12:36 AM
You never rang me about anything, pr.ck.
You were doing absolutely nothing, so why would I waste my time.

Bill Gletsos
28-08-2004, 12:40 AM
I may be wrong here (although I don't think so), but I cannot recall receiving a phone call from you last year. Perhaps you may have been mistaking it with one of the times I rang you?
I dont believe thats the case.
However since I have never claimed reimbursement for any chess phones calls I make I dont bother keeping a record of them and hence cannot prove it.

PHAT
28-08-2004, 12:46 AM
You were doing absolutely nothing, so why would I waste my time.

How would you know what I was doing - you never made a President's effort to find out.

Paul S
28-08-2004, 01:57 PM
I dont believe thats the case.
However since I have never claimed reimbursement for any chess phones calls I make I dont bother keeping a record of them and hence cannot prove it.

Bill

I don't want to get into an endless "Matt versus Bill" type argument over (what I regard as) a rather trivial issue.

I will just briefly state on this issue that during my 12 months time on NSWCA Council (approximately start December 2002 to approximately end November 2003) I did NOT (to my recollection) receive one phone call from a fellow NSWCA Councillor (during which time I made around 20).

I do however recall that you (Bill) have rung me a couple of times (from what I recall they were as a result of me leaving a message on your answering machine). However, these phone calls from you were (to my recollection) BEFORE my time on NSWCA Council (ie they would have occurred in say 2001 or pre-December 2002).

As I stated earlier in this thread, I don't have a problem with the fact that I never received a phone call from one of my fellow NSWCA Councillors during my 12 months on NSWCA Council (if this was a concern I would have raised it LONG before now!). Rather I just find it somewhat bizzare that someone can be on NSWCA Council for 12 months and during that time have never received a phone call from a fellow NSWCA Councillor.

P.S. I should point out that I have considerable repect for the people on NSWCA Council in light of the fact that most of the people on NSWCA Council have contributed FAR more than me with respect to Chess Administration!

Bill Gletsos
28-08-2004, 02:02 PM
How would you know what I was doing - you never made a President's effort to find out.
You superbly demonstrated to all on the NSWCA Council you ability to do nothing.

Bill Gletsos
28-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Bill

I don't want to get into an endless "Matt versus Bill" type argument over (what I regard as) a rather trivial issue.
I agree.
Lets leave it at this. ;)

P.S. I should point out that I have considerable repect for the people on NSWCA Council in light of the fact that most of the people on NSWCA Council have contributed FAR more than me with respect to Chess Administration!
You contributed for the whole year you were on council.
In fact you contributed more in just one meeting than Matt did over 6mths.

Paul S
28-08-2004, 02:44 PM
OK, back to the real issue!

Some of you are probably wondering why I am a bit worked up over this issue, even though I rarely play in Weekenders. Well, here are the reasons:

1) I think it is somewhat immoral for the ACF to take money from tournament organisers (eg NSWCA, ACTCA etc) for the Grand Prix (ie GP fees) and provide NO service in return.

2) I have been appalled by what appears to be a continual buck-passing and lack of responsibility by the ACF on this issue over the last 18 months (eg "Oh, David Cordover is running the 2003 GP - its not the ACF's fault that there have been no result updates for 8 months" while during these 8 months the ACF did not apparently see fit to do some pro-active action on this matter). When the ACF finally decided to take some action wrt the 2003 GP it was only after people like myself had raised this matter on the Bulletin Board.

3) Lack of transparency. For the 2003 GP chess players (and so far for 2004 GP chess players) were unable to see the tournament by tournament breakdown of who got what results wrt GP points. David Cordover's (2003) and Garvin Gray's (2004) figures may well be correct, but how can chess players (ie those chess players who play in GP tournaments) actually verify this for themselves if the tournament by tournament results are not posted on a GP website?

4) As a NSWCA Councillor last year I complained about the 2003 GP at a NSWCA Council meeting, as I felt that the NSWCA (and players playing in NSWCA weekenders) were being cheated (ripped off) by the Grand Prix as we (NSWCA) got nothing in return (eg no result updates). The NSWCA ran more GP tournaments than any other organisation in 2003. My fellow Councillors agreed with my sentiments and they were duly passed on to the ACF, but the ACF did nothing.

5) Apparently NOBODY from the ACF has seen fit to ring Bob Keast in the last 6 months to ask him about the (well laid out) 2004 GP website (which has not been updated since 27/2/04) and make arrangements to have the website transferred over to the ACF (or someone acting on behalf of the ACF) given Bob's changed work circumstances. Also, who knows - maybe Bob (or his son) could do the updating of the GP website for the ACF if the results are submitted to them - but of course we will never never know, because apparently the ACF never never considers the idea of making a telephone call to someone to resolve an issue.

6) It presents a bad image for Australian chess when things are run as incompetently as the 2003 GP and 2004 GP.

7) Somebody has to stand up and say "enough is enough" and put an end to this farce.

8) The GP is just presenting prizemoney to chess players in another form. There is no extra money for chess players. All it does is reduces available prizemoney from the tournament being played and redistribute it in GP prizes. It is revenue neutral. Of course, what should be happening is that (as Jason Lyons pointed out) it should have sponsorship from a company. Yet what company in their right mind would want to sponsor a 2005 GP after the shemozzle of 2003 and 2004?

9) I have been appalled by some of the pathetic excuses by some BB GP apologists (eg "I only found out recently that no one has been able to contact Bob regarding gp matters. His email bounces and his mobile number doesnt work either. I thought for quite a while that Bob was handling things himself and so i thought no problem, all is fine. That was a mistake which i now regret. I started to receive reports that Bobs email account was bouncing and that his mobile number wasnt any good either. I then thought that maybe Bob hadnt being doing anything regarding the gp." - I mean, really, what about "at the first sign of trouble" ringing someone who knows Bob and get Bob's home phone number and ring him?). Or "the GP website is still up because we need the (6 months out of date) GP Calendar" - I mean, really!

10) The fact that (after all the problems of last year's GP) nothing has changed for the 2004 GP.

I could go on, but "enough is enough"!

PHAT
28-08-2004, 06:25 PM
I could go on, but "enough is enough"!

No, Paul. You keep on going.

As an aside:

I reckon if the MtB3 event is a success, we should offer George Howard a 12 month contract ($40k = $10 from every active player) to work full time to straighten out the ACF. Make it phkn work. Get a sponsor and we all win.

Garvinator
28-08-2004, 06:35 PM
No, Paul. You keep on going.

As an aside:

I reckon if the MtB3 event is a success, we should offer George Howard a 12 month contract ($40k = $10 from every active player) to work full time to straighten out the ACF. Make it phkn work. Get a sponsor and we all win.
who says it has to be George Howard ;)

PHAT
28-08-2004, 08:03 PM
who says it has to be George Howard ;)

I think you think more of me than I do. Therefore, I feel duty bound to decline your nomination.

Garvinator
28-08-2004, 08:05 PM
I think you think more of me than I do. Therefore, I feel duty bound to decline your nomination.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :owned: :owned: i havent laughed this hard for a while, thanks. I wasnt thinking of you when i said it doesnt havent to be George Howard :D :uhoh: btw can you decline a nomination when you havent been nominated?

arosar
29-08-2004, 01:46 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :owned: :owned: . . . I wasnt thinking of you when i said it doesnt havent to be George Howard :D :uhoh:

You were thinking of yourself.

Not a good look gray.

AR

Kerry Stead
30-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Paul,
I can understand your frustration at things, but save for someone actually having time and caring about the GP, I can't see that it will change in the immediate future.
As far as results are concerned, I got a breakdown of the 2003 results (I think) directly from David. I thought that some of his points calculations were wrong, and asked him for a full list so I could check (although he might have posted something on the old BB, I'm not 100% sure). Anyway, he had missed a few things, so its always good to have these things checked.
Garvin, do you have a full list on your computer that you could post sometime? Its easier in the long run to do corrections as you go rather than having to do (potentially) a whole lot at the end of the year.

Paul S
30-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Paul,
I can understand your frustration at things, but save for someone actually having time and caring about the GP, I can't see that it will change in the immediate future.

That is exactly why the GP should be scrapped - nobody cares enough about it (and/or has the time available) to to the job properly (at least not since Norm Braybrooke was running it).

Also (while the general principle of a GP is fine), to make it worthwhile, it needs SPONSORSHIP! At present (ie with NO sponsorship) all that is in reality happening is that it is just a redistribution of existing prizemoney and is revenue neutral (ie basically what would have been extra prizemoney at a tournament is GP fees which in turn gets redistributed to essentially the same chess players in another form, viz as GP prizes). Under the present format I would find it very demotivating as a GP organiser doing all this work while realising that the work being done does not bring in one extra cent for Australian chess!!!

I feel sorry for those people like Jason Lyons and Norm Braybrooke who put a lot of work into making a go of the GP only to see it turn into the disgrace it has been since early 2003!

As far as results are concerned, I got a breakdown of the 2003 results (I think) directly from David. I thought that some of his points calculations were wrong, and asked him for a full list so I could check (although he might have posted something on the old BB, I'm not 100% sure). Anyway, he had missed a few things, so its always good to have these things checked.

That is what I had thought aswell, and I suspect that the results of the 2003 GP are probably not correct, but I guess at the end of the day nobody really cared about the results due to the shemozzle that the 2003 (and now 2004) GP was.

My reasons for suggesting a tournament by tournament layout (like on a GP website) is so that players can check to see if their tournament has been rated. If I remember correctly the so-called "Chess Guru" said that there were "about 10 tournaments that he had not received results for". However, what tournaments were they? All that appeared was a list of the final scores! I mean, what about chess players who had played in a GP tournament for that reason (ie because it was advertised as a GP tournament) and then that tournament was not GP rated? Shouldn't they have had the opportrunity to find out if this was the case (and have the opportunity to chase up the tournament/GP organiser)? What were these 10 odd tournaments that the Guru did not receive results for?

Bring back Norm Braybrooke!!!

Bill Gletsos
30-08-2004, 07:41 PM
My reasons for suggesting a tournament by tournament layout (like on a GP website) is so that players can check to see if their tournament has been rated. If I remember correctly the so-called "Chess Guru" said that there were "about 10 tournaments that he had not received results for". However, what tournaments were they? All that appeared was a list of the final scores! I mean, what about chess players who had played in a GP tournament for that reason and then that tournament was not GP rated? Shouldn't they have had the opportrunity to find out if this was the case? What were these 10 odd tournaments that the Guru did not receive results for?
I remember providing David Cordover with the SP files for a number of tournaments at the end of last year for the GP.

Garvinator
30-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Garvin, do you have a full list on your computer that you could post sometime? Its easier in the long run to do corrections as you go rather than having to do (potentially) a whole lot at the end of the year.
Kerry,

I am preparing a full spreadsheet that will show points total of each person, their position relative to everyone else and points scored for each tournament played.

Regarding future grand prix years, I do believe in the gp, but i dont know exactly how i can get sponsorship for it?

doc
31-08-2004, 11:37 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :owned: :owned: i havent laughed this hard for a while, thanks. I wasnt thinking of you when i said it doesnt havent to be George Howard :D :uhoh: btw can you decline a nomination when you havent been nominated?

Get a life.

prescription from the doc: remove yourself from this position.

Kerry Stead
31-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Regarding future grand prix years, I do believe in the gp, but i dont know exactly how i can get sponsorship for it?
Well it was sponsored by Cepacol many years ago (late 80s-early 90s). No idea how the sponsorship came about, but I think there was a contact at the company in NSW chess, possibly John Baker, but I could be wrong. I also have a feeling that there was some corporate merger that led to them stopping their sponsorship of chess. Haven't really had anything like it since.
Would the silly thing to do be to ask people? You'd want to have something that looked the part to show them before asking the question of course ...

PHAT
31-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Get a life.

prescription from the doc: remove yourself from this position.

I hope that this shot of unprovoked nastiness is not an indicator of your real life persona.

Paul S
16-10-2004, 01:00 AM

Much like you, my own website skills are almost non-existant. Yet I don't see why (apparently) nobody from the ACF have bothered to contact Bob Keast to get the appropriate details of how to access and update the GP website (I am sure that he would be only too happy to provide the ACF with the relevant information to enable others to access and update his GP website).

I have just had a look at the ACF website and noticed that the Grand Prix website STILL has not been updated since 27/2/04.

:hmm: Let me guess. The ACF have STILL not bothered to pick up a phone and talk to Bob Keast (to make arrangements for Bob and/or his son to either 1) update the GP website or 2) have the website transferred over to someone else) since I made this post 2 months ago (post #3 in this thread)? :hmm: Why am I not surprised? :hmm:

Bill Gletsos
16-10-2004, 04:04 PM
I have just had a look at the ACF website and noticed that the Grand Prix website STILL has not been updated since 27/2/04.

:hmm: Let me guess. The ACF have STILL not bothered to pick up a phone and talk to Bob Keast (to make arrangements for Bob and/or his son to either 1) update the GP website or 2) have the website transferred over to someone else) since I made this post 2 months ago (post #3 in this thread)? :hmm: Why am I not surprised? :hmm:
As someone previously on the NSWCA Council you would be aware that often chess administrators are overburdened with too many activities. As such what needs immediate action takes precednece.
Instead of waiting 2 months and then criticising people then since you obviously feel so strongly about it you could always have been pro-active and emailed either Garvin as GP co-ordinator, paulb as webmaster and an ACF Vice-President or George as ACF president and asked them to do something about it.

Expecting a post on the bulletin board to act as some sort of semi-official communication service is not in my opinion reasonable.

Brian_Jones
16-10-2004, 04:30 PM
But neither is it fair for people to take on jobs without due effort to fulfil the requirements. All it takes is a bit more management effort from some people to keep control. At present chess admin is still amateur and pathetic. And I've lost count of the offers to help that I've made that have been ignored or responded to six months later! I can really understand Paul's frustration with lack of progress in some areas! Message to everybody - don't take the job on if you are not going to do it wholeheartedly!

Paul S
17-10-2004, 01:37 AM
As someone previously on the NSWCA Council you would be aware that often chess administrators are overburdened with too many activities. As such what needs immediate action takes precednece.

Yes, I am aware of that from my time on NSWCA Council.

Obviously the Grand Prix must be a far lower priority than I had been led to believe (after reading posts on this topic from various BB members about 9 months ago). Does the GP ever get discussed at ACF Council meetings?

Instead of waiting 2 months and then criticising people then since you obviously feel so strongly about it you could always have been pro-active and emailed either Garvin as GP co-ordinator, paulb as webmaster and an ACF Vice-President or George as ACF president and asked them to do something about it.

Its been 8 months since the Grand Prix website was last updated, not 2 months! I find it hard to believe that there is a perfectly good 2004 GP website in place which has not been updated for 8 months. Am I being unreasonable by saying that the GP website should be updated at least once a month?

About 3 months ago I sent Garvin a PM with Bob Keast's home phone number and postal address (refer to the postscript at the end of post number 3 in this thread) recommending he contact Bob.

Expecting a post on the bulletin board to act as some sort of semi-official communication service is not in my opinion reasonable.

I can't ever recall saying that I expected this!

What I had expected LONG before now, though, is that someone in the ACF (who have the responsibility for running the GP) would have been delegated the task of getting in touch with Bob Keast and 1) arrange for him to update the GP results or 2) arrange to have the GP website transferred to someone else so that they could update the GP scores.

Regardless of how busy they are, I cannot believe that all ACF Chess officials are that busy that one of them cannot pick up a phone and ring Bob Keast by now!

Garvinator
17-10-2004, 01:41 AM
About 3 months ago I sent Garvin a PM with Bob Keast's home phone number and postal address (refer to the postscript at the end of post number 3 in this thread) recommending he contact Bob.
Paul, it is my understanding that Bob has moved on with his life and no one has been able to contact him.

Bill Gletsos
17-10-2004, 01:49 AM
Yes, I am aware of that from my time on NSWCA Council.

Obviously the Grand Prix must be a far lower priority than I had been led to believe (after reading posts on this topic from various BB members about 9 months ago). Does the GP ever get discussed at ACF Council meetings?
Yes.

Its been 8 months since the Grand Prix website was last updated, not 2 months!
You were the one who referred to 2 months in your post #38. I just repeared it.

I find it hard to believe that there is a perfectly good 2004 GP website in place which has not been updated for 8 months. Am I being unreasonable by saying that the GP website should be updated at least once a month?

Perhaps he has, perhaps not.
No doubt he will comment.

I can't ever recall saying that I expected this!

What I had expected LONG before now, though, is that someone in the ACF (who have the responsibility for running the GP) would have been delegated the task of getting in touch with Bob Keast and 1) arrange for him to update the GP results or 2) arrange to have the GP website transferred to someone else so that they could update the GP scores.
My undertsanding is that Bob has wanted no involvement with chess over the past 8 mths.

Regardless of how busy they are, I cannot believe that all ACF Chess officials are that busy that one of them cannot pick up a phone and ring Bob Keast by now!
Its not up to all of them.
If its not their function then why would they bother.

Paul S
17-10-2004, 02:38 AM
Paul, it is my understanding that Bob has moved on with his life and no one has been able to contact him.

Hi Garvin

Bob has indeed left the chess scene since starting his new job around April (although I believe he did help out in running the Fairfield Winter Cup in July).

His mobile and email (ie the ones presently listed on the GP website) are no longer valid (and have not been since he started his new job around April).

However, you would be able to get in touch with him via his home phone number (ie the one I gave you) or by snail mail (viz his home address that I gave you).

Its most likely Bob would not be at home when you ring, but I am sure he would ring back if a message was left with his wife/family or on his anwering machine.

I haven't tried to get in touch with Bob Keast for a few weeks, but to my knowledge he has not recently changed his home address or home phone number.

Garvinator
20-10-2004, 02:11 AM
Hello everyone,

I have spoken to Bob Keast and he will be sending me the information I will require to be able to update the webpage that is provided at www.auschess.org.au.

Soon after I have recieved all the information and have worked out how to make changes to the currently listed information, the results will be updated.

Paul S
21-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Hello everyone,

I have spoken to Bob Keast and he will be sending me the information I will require to be able to update the webpage that is provided at www.auschess.org.au.

Soon after I have recieved all the information and have worked out how to make changes to the currently listed information, the results will be updated.

This sounds like some good news regarding the Grand Prix and is a positive step forward. I am pleased to hear it.

I think Garvin deserves some encouragement for getting stuck in and having a go - it is never easy coming into something halfway through the year! To this end I will request Jeo to change the title of this thread from the somewhat inflammatory "The Grand Joke (Grand Prix)" to "Grand Prix Concerns".

Paul S
12-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Hello everyone,

Hi Garvin

You posted this on 20/10/04. I notice that the last update on the GP website is STILL 27/2/04. So, when are you going to update the results?

Paul S
12-11-2004, 08:25 PM
This sounds like some good news regarding the Grand Prix and is a positive step forward. I am pleased to hear it.

I think Garvin deserves some encouragement for getting stuck in and having a go - it is never easy coming into something halfway through the year! To this end I will request Jeo to change the title of this thread from the somewhat inflammatory "The Grand Joke (Grand Prix)" to "Grand Prix Concerns".

Looks like I was too hasty and generous!

Garvinator
12-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Hi Garvin

You posted this on 20/10/04. I notice that the last update on the GP website is STILL 27/2/04. So, when are you going to update the results?
Bob son is the one with the passwords for the site etc. I emailed Bob twice about this matter and Bob says that his son has chicken pox. Bob was due to contact him today to get him to contact me. If it gets to monday or tuesday and I still have not heard from Bob's son, i will do up a tacky word type results lists and display it that way. At least there will be something.

Paul S
12-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Bob son is the one with the passwords for the site etc. I emailed Bob twice about this matter and Bob says that his son has chicken pox. Bob was due to contact him today to get him to contact me. If it gets to monday or tuesday and I still have not heard from Bob's son, i will do up a tacky word type results lists and display it that way. At least there will be something.

How about picking up the telephone and ringing Bob?

You know, the telephone number (Bob's home phone number) that I provided you with in July and you did not see fit to use until October and have apparently not seen fit to use since?!

Bob would be more than happy to give you his son's phone number if only you would bother to pick up the telephone!

Garvin, I am tiring of all these feeble excuses, apologies and buckpassing from you and others on the GP (and I am sure a lot of others are, too).

I suggest the GP be abolished for 2005 and put out of its misery!

Bill Gletsos
12-11-2004, 09:30 PM
It is obvious from garvins post that Bob is replying to garvins emails.

Garvin, I am tiring of all these feeble excuses, apologies and buckpassing from you and others on the GP (and I am sure a lot of others are, too).
I would suggest that gg and others are tired of your criticism.

That decision is not yours to make.

Garvinator
12-11-2004, 09:36 PM

You know, the telephone number (Bob's home phone number) that I provided you with in July and you did not see fit to use until October and have apparently not seen fit to use since?!

Bob would be more than happy to give you his son's phone number if only you would bother to pick up the telephone!

in response to Bills comment, yes I am tired of it. Paul, why dont you bucket Bob for not telling anyone of his change of circumstances for approx four months. Secondly, is there a hard copy or something that i could see of Brian's thoughts for improving the grand prix as I have some of my own for next year? :hmm:

Paul S
12-11-2004, 09:36 PM
I would suggest that gg and others are tired of your criticism.

Shoot the messenger!

That decision is not yours to make.

That is true.

However, it is the decision that the ACF should make in the interests of Australian Chess!

Paul S
12-11-2004, 09:51 PM
in response to Bills comment, yes I am tired of it.

I would prefer it if there was nothing for me to criticise in Australian Chess!

Paul, why dont you bucket Bob for not telling anyone of his change of circumstances for approx four months.

I know Bob reasonably well (a lot better than you do). As such, I find it difficult to believe that he did not inform anyone in the ACF of his changed circumstances.

Even if this were not the case, why couldn't someone from the ACF have picked up a telephone during these 4 months to contact Bob? What is so hard about picking up the phone and ringing someone? Surely someone in the ACF would have noticed that the GP website had not been updated for 4 months and would have made enquiries by ringing Bob to find out what was happening at some stage during these 4 months? I am assuming, of course, that the ACF actually cares about the GP!

Secondly, is there a hard copy or something that i could see of Brian's thoughts for improving the grand prix as I have some of my own for next year? :hmm:

Send Brian an email. I am sure he would be only too happy to share his thoughts with you.

Bill Gletsos
13-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Shoot the messenger!
Sometimes its the only way to put them out of their misery. :hand:

It would be far better if you not only criticised it but also suggested how to rectify and improve it. Suggesting that it be dropped altogether doesnt do that.

Paul S
13-11-2004, 12:43 AM
It would be far better if you not only criticised it but also suggested how to rectify and improve it. Suggesting that it be dropped altogether doesnt do that.

Why persist with something that has been a failure for the last two years?

There is no point in flogging a dead horse!

Bill Gletsos
13-11-2004, 01:25 AM
So what. that does not mean it will fail again.

Its not dead.
It just needs a the jockey on hand for the whole year, not just a part of it..

arosar
13-11-2004, 11:34 AM

You have made your complaint known. Now you must cease and desist immediately. You will only marginalise youself for you are making a strategic error in judgement.

Make no more mention of this.

AR

Garvinator
13-11-2004, 12:06 PM
You have made your complaint known. Now you must cease and desist immediately. You will only marginalise youself for you are making a strategic error in judgement.

Make no more mention of this.

AR
or put your concerns in writing to the acf secretary and detail how the problem should be fixed and by what method it should be fixed.

Paul S
14-11-2004, 04:00 PM
or put your concerns in writing to the acf secretary and detail how the problem should be fixed and by what method it should be fixed.

Tell the ACF Secretary to read this thread.

The GP in its current format does not bring in one extra cent to Australian Chess, but is simply a redistribution of existing prizemoney to chess players in another form. The GP has been a shemozzle for the last 2 years and it would appear that the only attempts to rectify the problems of the GP have been as a result of justified criticisms from people like myself (rather than from the ACF or GP organisers).

I'm tired of repeating myself. The GP has become an embarrassment to Australian Chess and needs to cease at the end of this year.

Garvin, I appreciate that you are trying to make a constructive contribution towards Australian Chess, and I think this should be encouraged. However, I think that it would be better for Australian Chess if your talents and time were spent in other areas of Australian Chess Admin rather than with the GP.

Garvinator
14-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Garvin, I appreciate that you are trying to make a constructive contribution towards Australian Chess, and I think this should be encouraged. However, I think that it would be better for Australian Chess if your talents and time were spent in other areas of Australian Chess Admin rather than with the GP.
i actually think the gp has great potential and I am only just starting with it, just getting through this year, seeing the results, names etc. As I said I will be making some recommendations for some changes for next year. All will be revealed hopefully at the national conference if that is the right forum.

Trent Parker
14-11-2004, 04:08 PM
i actually think the gp has great potential and I am only just starting with it, just getting through this year, seeing the results, names etc. As I said I will be making some recommendations for some changes for next year. All will be revealed hopefully at the national conference if that is the right forum.

Hey ggray
Whats happenin' with the divisions?
Havent heard about them in a while.

Ummm and also Paul Broekhuyse still refers to the website as being "up to date" in the ACF Bulletins. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Garvinator
14-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Hey ggray
Whats happenin' with the divisions?
Havent heard about them in a while.

Ummm and also Paul Broekhuyse still refers to the website as being "up to date" in the ACF Bulletins. :lol: :lol: :lol:
i think i have answered this havent i regarding Bob and his son with chicken pox and before you ask, ringing bob would make no difference as I would get the same reply, he is sick and so I will get him to contact you when he is better. I expect a reply to my latest email tomorrow.

I am currently doing up a tacky spreadsheet that will represent the complete totals. Should be completed by the end of this week.

Paul S
14-11-2004, 04:27 PM

:rolleyes: Don't start me on that!!! :rolleyes:

The "up to date" GP website lists Ralph Seberry as the contact person for next weekend's tournament at North Sydney! :hmm: Does anyone have the phone number for heaven (or is it hell?)?

antichrist
14-11-2004, 11:02 PM
What I liked about the GP was that it gave country players a chance to play in the country. I actually could have got to the Coffs Harbour games this week-end but forgot about it due to pressures. It along with the
SEC are I think about the only new comps during the last few years. Don't let the SEC out-survive the GP.

Rincewind
15-11-2004, 06:43 AM
What I liked about the GP was that it gave country players a chance to play in the country. I actually could have got to the Coffs Harbour games this week-end but forgot about it due to pressures. It along with the
SEC are I think about the only new comps during the last few years. Don't let the SEC out-survive the GP.

What about The Common Sweeney?

antichrist
15-11-2004, 09:28 AM
What about The Common Sweeney?

If it continues year after year good on it. More of innovation the better, we can only learn from our mistakes.

Garvinator
21-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Bill,

Can you tell me if Alistair Compton had an acf or fide rating on the December 2003 list?
I dont seem to be able to find him on the acf december 2003 master list that I have.

Cheers,

Garvin

Bill Gletsos
21-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Bill,

Can you tell me if Alistair Compton had an acf or fide rating on the December 2003 list?
I dont seem to be able to find him on the acf december 2003 master list that I have.

Cheers,

Garvin
Thats because he is an OS player and only appeared on the rating list in September 2004.
I am not sure if OS players are eligible for GP points or not.
I believe that according to the GP rules he would be considered unrated (as he was not on the Dec 2003 ACF list) even though he is FIDE rated over 2100.

Garvinator
21-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Thats because he is an OS player and only appeared on the rating list in September 2004.
I am not sure if OS players are eligible for GP points or not.
I believe that according to the GP rules he would be considered unrated (as he was not on the Dec 2003 ACF list) even though he is FIDE rated over 2100.
From the gp website-

Ratings for Grand Prix points will be as shown in the December 2003 ACF master list. Players who do not appear on the December 2003 ACF Master List but appear on the January 2004 FIDE Rating List as rated 2000 and over are only eligible for open prizes (and junior and womens prizes if eligible), other players on the FIDE list are only eligible for U2000 prizes. Players who appear on neither list are only eligible for unrated or open prizes (and junior and womens prizes if eligible).

I see Alistair has a 2103 fide rating according to www.fide.com

Bill Gletsos
21-11-2004, 03:26 PM
From the gp website-

Ratings for Grand Prix points will be as shown in the December 2003 ACF master list. Players who do not appear on the December 2003 ACF Master List but appear on the January 2004 FIDE Rating List as rated 2000 and over are only eligible for open prizes (and junior and womens prizes if eligible), other players on the FIDE list are only eligible for U2000 prizes. Players who appear on neither list are only eligible for unrated or open prizes (and junior and womens prizes if eligible).

I see Alistair has a 2103 fide rating according to www.fide.com
Well the relevant rating is his FIDE Jan 2004 which was 2052 which was actually his first since of activity soince the October 2001 list.

My point remains that I'm not sure that an OS player who is a visitor is eligible.

Garvinator
21-11-2004, 03:39 PM
My point remains that I'm not sure that an OS player who is a visitor is eligible.
oh ok :uhoh: I would have thought that he is and have added points for other overseas players who are in a similiar situation ie Dejan Antic.

Bill Gletsos
21-11-2004, 04:31 PM
oh ok :uhoh: I would have thought that he is and have added points for other overseas players who are in a similiar situation ie Dejan Antic.
Maybe they are eligible and maybe not
I dont really know.
Just flagging it as a possible issue.

Garvinator
21-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Maybe they are eligible and maybe not
I dont really know.
Just flagging it as a possible issue.
who should i speak to for further information?

Bill Gletsos
21-11-2004, 04:36 PM
who should i speak to for further information?
Ask Norm Braybrooke as I assume he would know.

Paul S
21-11-2004, 04:59 PM
i think i have answered this havent i regarding Bob and his son with chicken pox and before you ask, ringing bob would make no difference as I would get the same reply, he is sick and so I will get him to contact you when he is better. I expect a reply to my latest email tomorrow.

I am currently doing up a tacky spreadsheet that will represent the complete totals. Should be completed by the end of this week.

Hi Garvin

How is the tacky spreadsheet and updating of the GP website going?

Garvinator
21-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi Garvin

How is the tacky spreadsheet and updating of the GP website going?
Hello Paul,

the tacky spreadsheet is almost complete :uhoh: and the updating of the website should be done soon, but i have been saying that for a while now :( Bob's son has provided me with some of the info i will need to access it, but I dont have the ftp locations, passwords yet. I should get them tomorrow when Bob's son provides me with the rest of the information i require.

I will have something up, either spreadsheet or website up by the end of november as I leave for mt buller on 1st December.

Paul S
21-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Hello Paul,

the tacky spreadsheet is almost complete :uhoh: and the updating of the website should be done soon, but i have been saying that for a while now :( Bob's son has provided me with some of the info i will need to access it, but I dont have the ftp locations, passwords yet. I should get them tomorrow when Bob's son provides me with the rest of the information i require.

I will have something up, either spreadsheet or website up by the end of november as I leave for mt buller on 1st December.

Hi Garvin

I appreciate the fact that you are getting in and having a go in chess admin, and that you are also heavily involved with organising things at Mount Buller.

In light of this, I will go easy on the shortcomings of the 2003 GP and 2004 GP for the rest of the year.

However, I think you will agree with me that (regardless of who is or is not to blame - and I am not looking for scapegoats), the fact that the GP website has not been updated since 27/2/04 is not good for Australian chess (especially after the shemozzle of the 2003 GP).

Best wishes with Mt Buller and hope you enjoy your time there.

Cheers

Paul

Garvinator
21-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Hi Garvin

I appreciate the fact that you are getting in and having a go in chess admin, and that you are also heavily involved with organising things at Mount Buller.

In light of this, I will go easy on the shortcomings of the 2003 GP and 2004 GP for the rest of the year.

However, I think you will agree with me that (regardless of who is or is not to blame - and I am not looking for scapegoats), the fact that the GP website has not been updated since 27/2/04 is not good for Australian chess (especially after the shemozzle of the 2003 GP).

Best wishes with Mt Buller and hope you enjoy your time there.

Cheers

Paul

i agree that it is not good and doesnt help the reputation of the gp at all. But as Bill has said, things should improve with myself(if i am gp co-ordinator for 2005) as I will be on board for the whole year. As I have said before, i will be making some recommendations for next year.

Rhubarb
22-11-2004, 06:05 PM
I will go easy on the shortcomings of the 2003 GP and 2004 GP for the rest of the yearl
I hope you do Paulie, for, regardless of your arguments, if you once more refer to the GP as a 'shemozzle', I swear I am going to beat you around the head with a thesaurus the next time I see you.

Paul S
22-11-2004, 10:59 PM
I hope you do Paulie, for, regardless of your arguments, if you once more refer to the GP as a 'shemozzle', I swear I am going to beat you around the head with a thesaurus the next time I see you.

You probably would, too! :P

I'll have to remember to wear a helmet when I am around you! ;) :lol:

Bob1
07-12-2004, 06:19 PM
All Chess Players
I must apologise for dropping the ball on the 2004 GP.
(oK shatterring is a better word)
No-one else is to blame but me.
Please forgive me (or forget me).

Although I understand that the competition is bigger than my administration deficiency and continues to be a success over the board.

2004 has been a big year for me - I could make the details public but would rather leave them for a face to face conversation next time we meet OTB.

Garvin - thanks for picking up the ball.

Bob

arosar
06-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Are rapid events included for the purposes of GP points scoring in Australia?

If your, say, 1700, and you choose to play in, say, the 2000 section - do you qualify for prizes (or gain points) in the higher division?

AR

Kerry Stead
06-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Are rapid events included for the purposes of GP points scoring in Australia?

If your, say, 1700, and you choose to play in, say, the 2000 section - do you qualify for prizes (or gain points) in the higher division?

AR

To answer your questions Amiel, no, rapids aren't included.
Yes, if you score points in multiple divisions in a single tournament, they all get included. Your example isn't the best though, as the GP divisions are Open, U2000 & U1600.
Lets say someone rated 1550 came 5th in an open GP weekender (and there was one player U2000 ahead of them). They would get points for 5th in Open division, 2nd in U2000 division & 1st in U1600 division. Something like the Doeberl, however only allocates points to a single division as the tournament is run in the GP divisions.

Paul S
07-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Last time I looked at the GP website (about 2 days ago), George Xie was the leader (last GP website update was 27/2/04) in the 2004 GP.

So, now that we are in 2005, who are the winners (and what are the tournament by tournament GP results etc) for the 2004 GP?

Trent Parker
11-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Last time I looked at the GP website (about 2 days ago), George Xie was the leader (last GP website update was 27/2/04) in the 2004 GP.

So, now that we are in 2005, who are the winners (and what are the tournament by tournament GP results etc) for the 2004 GP?

Might i suggest that this is an unappropriate time to be asking this question?? Just bcause ggray is up the mountain? (Although it would have been nice to know beforehand what the results were.....

George Xie
07-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi Guys,

I just want ask whos on the winner list of GP 2004? (I hope that's me) :)

All the Best,

George

Lucena
07-02-2005, 11:58 AM
I hope you do Paulie, for, regardless of your arguments, if you once more refer to the GP as a 'shemozzle', I swear I am going to beat you around the head with a thesaurus the next time I see you. :lol:

Paul S
11-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Hi Guys,

I just want ask whos on the winner list of GP 2004? (I hope that's me) :)

All the Best,

George

Garvin

Show George a bit of respect and answer his question!

If this information is not ready for "reason(s) X (and Y and/or Z)", then fine, say what these reasons (or should I say excuses?) are and let George know when the final 2004 GP results will be available.

I know George reasonably well (I often give him a lift home from chess tournaments) and the question he asks is justified in light of the fact that he is likely to win a GP prize (and the fact that we are now well into 2005).

Players have had prizemoney reduced at tournaments in order to contribute to the 2004 GP prize fund (in effect a revenue neutral exercise as what would have been extra prize money at tournaments just gets redistributed to players in GP prizes), so they are entitled to ask what is happening and they are entitled to answers!

Garvinator
12-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Garvin

Show George a bit of respect and answer his question!

If this information is not ready for "reason(s) X (and Y and/or Z)", then fine, say what these reasons (or should I say excuses?) are and let George know when the final 2004 GP results will be available.

I know George reasonably well (I often give him a lift home from chess tournaments) and the question he asks is justified in light of the fact that he is likely to win a GP prize (and the fact that we are now well into 2005).

Players have had prizemoney reduced at tournaments in order to contribute to the 2004 GP prize fund (in effect a revenue neutral exercise as what would have been extra prize money at tournaments just gets redistributed to players in GP prizes), so they are entitled to ask what is happening and they are entitled to answers!

Hello Paul,

I have answered George's questions. George sent me a pm and I replied to his questions in a pm. I just dont have anything to contribute or wish to get into another lengthy debate on the bb about the gp or where the results are. They are coming and the open division should be finished by end of next week.

Paul S
12-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Hello Paul,

I have answered George's questions. George sent me a pm and I replied to his questions in a pm. I just dont have anything to contribute or wish to get into another lengthy debate on the bb about the gp or where the results are. They are coming and the open division should be finished by end of next week.

Fair enough.