PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NZ Olympiad teams

Tony Dowden
04-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Select your teams ...

Goughfather
04-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Is Puchen Wang allowed to play all four boards?

Adamski
04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Men top 4, assuming all available, for me would be:
Chandler
Wang
Ker
Steadman
Other 2 maybe Dive and Smith?

Ladies longshot: flukey!

Kevin Bonham
04-02-2010, 09:41 PM

Under the new system you only get another 1 - each team (Open and Womens) is 5 players of whom 4 play in each round.

Capablanca-Fan
05-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Men top 4, assuming all available, for me would be:
Chandler
Wang
Ker
Steadman

Ladies longshot: flukey!
I agree, except swapping Dive and Steadman.

Brian_Jones
05-02-2010, 08:34 AM
What about Roger Nokes - he should be in the team!

Adamski
05-02-2010, 11:36 AM
What about Roger Nokes - he should be in the team!Yes, a strong case can be made to include Roger. Picking 4 and 5 is a tough call. People are going to miss out and be disappointed.

Capablanca-Fan
05-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Yes, good point.

Ian Rout
05-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm not in a position to judge, but I think it would be spectacular to be at the Olympiad and see the NZ team do the haka.

Garrett
05-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Good luck to New Zealand !!

I'd prefer to see Phuchen and Mr Ker on boards 2 and 4.

Australia will also have 1 or 2 disappointed to miss out.

pax
05-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Assuming the top candidates apply, I don't think there will be more than 1 player who feels hard done by: Zhao, Smerdon, Xie and Johansen are almost a given (and probably in that order), while Wohl and Solomon both have legitimate claims to the 5th spot.

Oepty
05-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Assuming the top candidates apply, I don't think there will be more than 1 player who feels hard done by: Zhao, Smerdon, Xie and Johansen are almost a given (and probably in that order), while Wohl and Solomon both have legitimate claims to the 5th spot.

Although Wohl had a disappointing Australian Champs his form throughout 2009 was brilliant taking his FIDE rating for 2342 to 2458.
Scott

Oepty
05-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Where does Daniel Shen sit as far as being in contention for the team?
Scott

pax
05-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Although Wohl had a disappointing Australian Champs his form throughout 2009 was brilliant taking his FIDE rating for 2342 to 2458.
Scott

He had some really outstanding results, that's true. Wohl's inconsistency must be a conundrum for selectors. He'll put in a 2600 performance in one event, and 2250 in another.

Capablanca-Fan
05-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Good luck to New Zealand !!

I'd prefer to see Phuchen and Mr Ker on boards 2 and 4.

It would be hard to justify putting Ker too low since he is current NZ champ (for the 11th time) and an IM (albeit zonal).

Garrett
05-02-2010, 05:45 PM
good point.

Tony Dowden
06-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Suggest someone puts this and subsequent related posts in an Aussie OL thread ...

Tony Dowden
06-02-2010, 08:41 AM
My NZ men's team is:

1. IM Puchen Wang
2. GM Murray Chandler
3. IM Russell Dive
4. IM Anthony Ker
5. FM Roger Nokes
Reserve: FM-elect Mike Steadman

Capablanca-Fan
06-02-2010, 02:28 PM
My NZ men's team is:

1. IM Puchen Wang
2. GM Murray Chandler
3. IM Russell Dive
4. IM Anthony Ker
5. FM Roger Nokes
Reserve: FM-elect Mike Steadman

For reference, here are the current FIDE ratings (http://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=NZL) (Chandler is here (http://ratings.fide.com/seek.phtml?idcode=&name=chandler&offset=0)):

# Name Title Fed Rating G B-Year
0 Chandler, Murray G g NZL 2518 0 1960
1 Wang, Puchen m NZL 2476 9 1990
2 Dive, Russell John m NZL 2371 0 1966
3 Ker, Anthony F m NZL 2321 0 1967
4 Nokes, Roger I f NZL 2305 13 1958
5 Garbett, Paul Anthony m NZL 2302 0 1952
6 Smith, Robert W f NZL 2289 0 1953
7 Croad, Nicolas f NZL 2271 0
8 Watson, Bruce R f NZL 2270 0 c.1960
9 Steadman, Michael (f) NZL 2263 0 c.1960
10 Hart, Ralph NZL 2244 0
10 Lukey, Stephen G f NZL 2244 0 c.1967
12 Spain, Graeme NZL 2217 0 1962

Ratings should count for something, and so should a being the current title holder. I don't think Wang has surpassed Chandler even though he is no longer in the world's top 30 as he was a quarter of a century ago (http://db.chessmetrics.com/CM2/PlayerProfile.asp?Params=199510SSSSS3S021649000000 111000000000003710100). The rest of the list is reasonable.

Desmond
06-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Are there minimum activity requirements to be eligible?

CivicChessMan
07-02-2010, 09:57 AM
NZCF has called for "Expressions of Interest" for the Olympiad in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia. An Expression of Interest is not an application for selection, but will ensure that those who are interested in selection will be informed directly about news and developments related to the Olympiad. It is expected that applications for selection will close on April 16th, allowing players to include the results of major events taking place around Easter in their applications. The NZCF Selection Panel intends to finalise selections in early May.

I reckon the venue will have a significant bearing on who may be available. Khanty-Maniysk isn't exactly well known and sounds a bit of challenge to get there. FIDE will arrange charter flights from Dubai, Prague, Milan and Munich. The average temperature in September is 4-8C. Brrrrr!

But let's assume that anyone who is anyone is available and pick a team. Tony's team looks just right but I think Chandler should be on top board.

1. Murray Chandler - New Zealand's only GM and still number one.
2. Puchen Wang - will he get time off from his studies in Texas?
3. Russell Dive
4. Anthony Ker
5. Roger Nokes - Nokes was outstanding in Dresden.

Reserves:
1. Mike Steadman
2. Nic Croad - heading off to London shortly to seek his fortune.
3. Bob Smith

However, I believe that some of the above will not be available so there could be some surprises in store.

PS: There are no minimum activity requirements.

Tony Dowden
08-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Tony's team looks just right but I think Chandler should be on top board.

Fair enough, to some extent I was being provocative but on the other hand Murray Chandler is even older than me(!) and isn't exactly active at present. Also there might be a case for swapping board orders with Wang and Chandler for strategic reasons related to GM norm possibilities for Wang and/or maximising the team score.

I don't think Bob Smith should be 3rd reserve though, especially not after his last Olympiad effort where his Elo perf was around 1800. Smith has been a stalwart team membner - ever since the Haifa Olympiad(!) but I reckon he's done his dash now. I would definitely rank Stephen Lukey and probably Bruce Watson ahead of Smith. Admittedly I might be biased by my good record against Smith in our last half dozen or so games - where over 10 years I've never looking like losing and won a couple of games convincingly - but I don't think so.

Capablanca-Fan
08-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Fair enough, to some extent I was being provocative but on the other hand Chander is even older than me (by about six months) and isn't exactly active at present.
But Nokes is even more ancient than both of you ... ;)

Also there might be a case for swapping board orders with Wang and Chandler for strategic reasons relatde to GM norms for Wang.
That's reasonable. But top board might be harder work, so it's hard to know what would be best for this purpose.

Seems safest to go by rating order unless there are clearcut reasons not to, e.g. there should probably be some deference to a current NZ Champ.

CivicChessMan
08-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Sources say that Murray Chandler, Puchen Wang and Anthony Ker are unlikely to be available while Russell Dive is undecided. So if all of these guys are gone, is there a place for Tony Dowden in the team :)? I'd expect Bob Smith to make the team now. He has the Olympiad experience and hopefully, Dresden was just a bad day at the office.

Oepty
08-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Sources say that Murray Chandler, Puchen Wang and Anthony Ker are unlikely to be available while Russell Dive is undecided. So if all of these guys are gone, is there a place for Tony Dowden in the team :)? I'd expect Bob Smith to make the team now. He has the Olympiad experience and hopefully, Dresden was just a bad day at the office.

Not looking good then. Who is definitely going to apply? Nokes, Steadman, Croad, Smith, Watson, Lukey, Shen, Garbett????
Adamski's longshot call on Lukey is starting to look good.
Scott

Tony Dowden
08-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Tony Dowden is not a starter - he only plays in Olympiads once every 20 years: Lucerne 1982, Bled 2002, ???? 2022 ;)

Tony Dowden
08-02-2010, 09:50 PM
But Nokes is even more ancient than both of you ... ;)

Yes ... but don't you think there's something suspiciously Peter Pan-esque about Roger? I mean 22 years between his first two Olympiads is outrageous (just when I thought I might have some kind of record back at Bled, 2002).

Bereaved
09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I know that I am treading in Foreign territory:D ...but I think that sending Daniel Shen would be worthwhile, should he be available. I was greatly impressed by his play in Queenstown 09

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

flukey
09-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi all,

I think the main selection issue is simply finding 5 people to go that have some level of competence. As people have noted, Siberia in late Autumn is not everyone's cup of tea ... . And just who would look forward to a flight NZ-Oz-Dubai-Moscow-Khanty??? Especially in light of the little gem from the organisers that due to "financial constraints" the promised redevelopment of the airport won't go ahead but we might lengthen the runway a little!

My understanding is similar to CivicChessMan's that the top four players may be out (my top four being Chandler, Wang, Ker, Dive in that order). If they had of been available I would have picked those 4 and then Croad (he is a little up and down but very good at his best, which could be said about Garbett, Nokes, Steadman, myself, and Smith but the difference is Croad is in his 20s rather than 40s or 50s!!!!). Shen might fit in in 2012 or 2014 but not now.

When I played in Dresden, the team was Chandler, Dive, Smith, Nokes, and me. While not full strength, it was still exciting playing in a team that met such good opposition (Ukraine, Bosnia, Turkey, etc etc). Givem my play has slipped in the last couple of years, I almost have the Groucho Marx view - I don't want to play for any team desperate enough to select me!!!! But I might still put my name forward as if I do make the team, my public servant empoyer has to give me paid "representing NZ leave", lol.

Flukey

Solo
09-02-2010, 06:25 PM
It will be a great pity if those top four don't go. Is Fludey eligible?:D = 2nd in the Ranges summer sizzler! I hope you make the team Flukey!

Has the other young Daniel, Daniel Baider, been playing? Bruce Watson would make the team too, but again I don't think he would go unfortunately.

Anyway my 2 bob's worth in order is: Chandler, Wang, Ker, Dive, Nokes, Croad, Shen, Steadman, Watson, Smith, Lukey, Baider.:) ... Others who haven't been playing are Ben Martin and Alexei Kulashko.

flukey
09-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey Solo, haven't you forgotten about Garbett, lol!

Solo
10-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Yes I thought I would forget some players, sorry to Paul. His last good tournament as far as I know was Queenstown 06, so he'd be around your good self in my list, but you all may need plenty of players to apply to get 5 players who will go so both of you might make the team!:)

smurfo
11-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I might still put my name forward as if I do make the team, my public servant empoyer has to give me paid "representing NZ leave", lol.

Flukey

My public servant employer is still debating whether I can be given paid leave, on the basis of 'representing OZ at an international sporting event'! The age-old argument...

Garvinator
11-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know the exact format?

Tony Dowden
12-02-2010, 05:39 PM
My public servant employer is still debating whether I can be given paid leave, on the basis of 'representing OZ at an international sporting event'! The age-old argument...

The solution is simple David, just get a Kiwi passport ...

flukey
13-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Lol! My boss had no problems with it ... but my work colleagues started saying things like if you get representing NZ leave for chess, can you get it for shopping as well?

If you think it would help, I could get an email sent through from my boss explaining the NZ position ...

smurfo
15-02-2010, 08:39 AM
If you think it would help, I could get an email sent through from my boss explaining the NZ position ...
That'd be great! I think it's going to be fine anyway, as they'll probably just ignore the 'chess as a sport' argument and give me the leave, but it'd be nice for chess players in the future here. I'm one of the few who doesn't think chess should be classed as a sport in Australia, but when I see figures putting the cost of funding each Australian olympic medal at over $15 million, I do get a little disillusioned...

Capablanca-Fan
15-02-2010, 09:23 AM
That'd be great! I think it's going to be fine anyway, as they'll probably just ignore the 'chess as a sport' argument and give me the leave, but it'd be nice for chess players in the future here. I'm one of the few who doesn't think chess should be classed as a sport in Australia, but when I see figures putting the cost of funding each Australian olympic medal at over $15 million, I do get a little disillusioned...
I think that no sport should be government funded, including chess. Of course, if the government insists on forcibly confiscating my money to pay for sport, then it may as well fund a sport I like, such as the Aussie Chess Olympics team.

Tony Dowden
15-02-2010, 08:30 PM
To the politics thread Jono ;)

Garrett
16-02-2010, 05:05 PM
To the politics thread Jono ;)

One post is probably not going too far astray and Jono's post was related to the post it quoted.

Tony Dowden
16-02-2010, 08:11 PM
One post is probably not going too far astray and Jono's post was related to the post it quoted.

But Kiwis are well left of Australian centre (if there is such a thing in this politically polemic land :lol: ) so get all stressed out and can't cope with conservative-speak like small government and less tax :eek:

Adamski
16-02-2010, 09:36 PM
But Kiwis are well left of Australian centre (if there is such a thing in this politically polemic land :lol: ) so get all stressed out and can't cope with conservative-speak like small government and less tax :eek:Speak for yourself, Tony. Those concepts don't stress this Kiwi at all. BTW I am still only a Kiwi. Have not found any great argument to take out Australian citizenship.:evil:

Capablanca-Fan
16-02-2010, 10:20 PM
But Kiwis are well left of Australian centre (if there is such a thing in this politically polemic land :lol: ) so get all stressed out and can't cope with conservative-speak like small government and less tax :eek:
Then how come the Kiwis got rid of Labour last election while the Aussies elected Labor instead?

Qbert
18-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Then how come the Kiwis got rid of Labour last election while the Aussies elected Labor instead?
It was a nationwide protest at the previous government's appalling record of not funding a single Kiwi Chess Olympiad team despite 4 opportunities. The severest test for the new government is coming in September this year when the nationa will find out where it stands on funding NZ Chess supremacy.;)

I expect the Australian change of Govt was for similar reasons...

Capablanca-Fan
18-02-2010, 12:38 PM
It was a nationwide protest at the previous government's appalling record of not funding a single Kiwi Chess Olympiad team despite 4 opportunities. The severest test for the new government is coming in September this year when the nationa will find out where it stands on funding NZ Chess supremacy.;)

I expect the Australian change of Govt was for similar reasons...
Heheh; I'm old enough to remember that the NZ Nationals didn't fund Chess Olympiad teams either.

Garvinator
18-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Heheh; I'm old enough to remember that the NZ Nationals didn't fund Chess Olympiad teams either.The answer is obvious. Keep tossing the bastards out till there is a government who does fund ;)

Qbert
19-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Robert Wansink tends to stand for parliament in the South Dunedin electorate. Perhaps if he added a pledge to fund the NZ Olympiad team in perpetuity to his ticket, he would not only get more votes, but form a new movement that sweeps to power....:)

Adamski
19-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Robert Wansink tends to stand for parliament in the South Dunedin electorate. Perhaps if he added a pledge to fund the NZ Olympiad team in perpetuity to his ticket, he would not only get more votes, but form a new movement that sweeps to power....:)I knew Robert well, from an early age. Later on he became well-known for aiming for the end game, at which he was very adept. Is he active again in NZ chess circles, Quentin? That would be a good thing for NZ chess.

Tony Dowden
19-02-2010, 09:54 PM

:lol: I can't see how any kind of comparison is valid. The trans-Tasman Labours are like apples and oranges. :hmm: Actually Australian politics is so venal that I doubt they're both fruit :lol:

Garvinator
19-02-2010, 10:14 PM
:lol: I can't see how any kind of comparison is valid. The trans-Tasman Labours are like apples and oranges. :hmm: Actually Australian politics is so venal that I doubt they're both fruit :lol:
They are definitely lemons.

Tony Dowden
19-02-2010, 10:14 PM
I knew Robert well, from an early age. Later on he became well-known for aiming for the end game, at which he was very adept. Is he active again in NZ chess circles, Quentin? That would be a good thing for NZ chess.

'Bob' (as he prefers) has had a bizarre but remarkably consistent record of playing chess around about once every 12-13 years and then disappearing off the radar in between times. He would also play incredibly strongly considering his inactivity. For instance, I remember I won the NZ rapid title within a year or so of being comprehensively outplayed by Bob in a minor rapid event in Dunedin the early/mid-1990s.

I always felt that Bob was never the same after losing to Murray Chandler in a National Schoolpupils event in Christchurch in 1974. The critical Wansink-Chandler match-up was a Najdorf Sicilian Polygaevsky variation with sacrificial play from both sides. If I remember correctly, before this event Bob had already played in the NZ Championship once (or even twice) and had also won both the North and the South Island championships. In 1972-73 he was the most impressive junior talent - but then along came Chandler with a Magnus Carlsen-like ascent to the top of NZ chess in only three short years.

Murray was (is) NZ's best ever player but Bob Wansink must rank as one of the best 'undeveloped talents' NZ has had.

Adamski
19-02-2010, 11:36 PM
'Bob' (as he prefers) has had a bizarre but remarkably consistent record of playing chess around about once every 12-13 years and then disappearing off the radar in between times. He would also play incredibly strongly considering his inactivity. For instance, I remember I won the NZ rapid title within a year or so of being comprehensively outplayed by Bob in a minor rapid event in Dunedin the early/mid-1990s.

I always felt that Bob was never the same after losing to Murray Chandler in a National Schoolpupils event in Christchurch in 1974. The critical Wansink-Chandler match-up was a Najdorf Sicilian Polygaevsky variation with sacrificial play from both sides. If I remember correctly, before this event Bob had already played in the NZ Championship once (or even twice) and had also won both the North and the South Island championships. In 1972-73 he was the most impressive junior talent - but then along came Chandler with a Magnus Carlsen-like ascent to the top of NZ chess in only three short years.

Murray was (is) NZ's best ever player but Bob Wansink must rank as one of the best 'undeveloped talents' NZ has had.Thanks, Tony. Brings back memories. I hope Bob rises from the chess ashes at least once or twice more! Last I knew he was unemployed but wrote an article published in The Listener on how one can survive comfortably on the dole. Before that he drove a truck. Any more recent news of him, other than standing in elections? (OK a bit off topic, but at least it is on an NZ chessplayer who I am sure would not disgrace NZ in an Olympiad.)

Qbert
23-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Bob was last seen spectating at the South Island Chp in Dunedin last year. He hinted that he would play in open events from time to time if they were advertised in the paper (he doesn't refer to the club website) and he did play in a 6-palyer RR rapid at the beginning of 2008 (winning 5/5 against a field in no way able to challenge him) which was advertised in the paper as open to all-comers rather than seasoned club members. He earned a free membership to the club but didn't exercise it. previously he also spectated (but didn't play) at the Nigel Short Simul in Dunedin a few years ago and pointed out to me that where I repeated the position I could still play for a win. (I was more concerned to avoid the loss as there would have been no other games still going at that stage). He would be in contention for the team if he was active for sure.

Tony Dowden
16-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Various individuals - including veteran FM Bob Smith and Natasha Fairley (and maybe Gino Thornton??) - are rumoured to have been selected for the Siberian Olympiad but it's not clear if the NZ teams have been officially announced. (If so I can't find it).

Despite the likelihood that it will be a weaker team than usual, Bob's selection would very impressive given that this must be about his 11th (or 12th?) olympiad since his first at Haifa in 1976.

lost
16-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Various individuals - including veteran FM Bob Smith and Natasha Fairley (and maybe Gino Thornton??) - are rumoured to have been selected for the Siberian Olympiad but it's not clear if the NZ teams have been officially announced. (If so I can't find it).

Despite the likelihood that it will be a weaker team than usual, Bob's selection would very impressive given that this must be about his 11th (or 12th?) olympiad since his first at Haifa in 1976.

I can confirm the Women's team. It is Maroroa, Milligan, Fairley, Wu and Eachen. Viv Smith is the Team Captain!!

I don't know the Men's team, but am trying to find out who is in the team.

lost

Kevin Bonham
17-05-2010, 12:24 PM
All but one of the top 10 women applied for the Olympiad. Impressive.

That is indeed impressive; it's fairly rare that we get nine women applying for the Olympiad fullstop.

Does NZ have an activity requirement to apply?

flukey
17-05-2010, 12:57 PM
I got an email saying the team was (in no order) Thornton, Smith, Steadman, Han, and Lukey.

I had thought Garbett had tossed his hat in the ring late on, but clearly not.

To be frank, it's a pretty disappointing line up but I guess the whole Siberian thing was just too much of a put off.

CivicChessMan
17-05-2010, 03:30 PM
NZCF has no activity rule for Olympiad candidates.

CivicChessMan
17-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Congratulations to all the players selected for the Olympiad.

Siberia didn't seem to put off the women :). If the men had followed suit, then I'm not sure that flukey would have been one of the names announced.

Here are the current NZCF rankings for the open team: 7, 9, 10, 17 and 19. For the women: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6.

arosar
17-05-2010, 07:13 PM
I got an email saying the team was (in no order) Thornton...

Thornton? You mean Gino?

AR

Adamski
17-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Thornton? You mean Gino?

ARI am sure he does. Gino has been doing well lately.

BTW, congrats flukey!

flukey
18-05-2010, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=CivicChessMan] If the men had followed suit, then I'm not sure that flukey would have been one of the names announced. QUOTE]

That was my point, ala Groucho Marx I am not that keen to play for any team that would select me ): As it is, there might have been a chance that the anonymous civicchessman could have made the team!

heligan
18-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I can confirm (officially!) that the teams are as follows (in alphabetical order).
Open:
Daniel Han, Stephen Lukey, Bob Smith, Michael Steadman, Gino Thornton
Women's:
Eachen Chen, Natasha Fairley, Sue Maroroa, Helen Milligan, Shirley Wu

Board order has not been decided yet. Captains will be decided tonight and posted on the NZ website tomorrow morning. And here too, if I remember.

Tony Dowden
18-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks Helen :D

I'm in deep training for my games against assorted 2010 Olympians (at least three?) in the George Trundle Challengers event in July :cool:

MichaelBaron
18-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Wow, NZ team is not looking too strong this time around :(

Adamski
18-05-2010, 10:26 PM
As it is, there might have been a chance that the anonymous civicchessman could have made the team!

If you read my interview very carefully, you might work out who CCM is!

From a former Civic Chess man!

heligan
19-05-2010, 07:09 AM
I can now confirm the team captains. Hilton Bennett is captain of the Open team and overall team manager. Viv Smith is captain of the Women's team.

Tony Dowden
19-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Wow, NZ team is not looking too strong this time around :(

:hmm: My (Dream) Team Tasmania would trouble the Kiwi Men's team! :lol: I don't have time to sort my team out right now so I would start by unilaterally selecting Kevin Bonham as Team Captain (with enormous power and multi-faceted duties) and get him onto selecting a team and working out a cunning board order. And I would assume the availability of 2 or 3 Tassie-born players based on the continent up north - notably GM Rogers (who hopefully still does one-off exhibitions). If I made the team (doubtful on my present form involving a run of losses), I would have to play my 'customer' and fellow veteran FM Bob Smith.

Adamski
19-05-2010, 10:35 PM
I can now confirm the team captains. Hilton Bennett is captain of the Open team and overall team manager. Viv Smith is captain of the Women's team.Congrats to all players and managers picked. I am sure Hilton (my friend who regularly visits Oz) and Viv will do good jobs as captains.

GinoTHEstud
20-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah i am excitied, It should be good. I hope i can win a couple of games. Better open a book or too and not rely on 3 min games on playchess as suffecient preperation, or playing endless games of bughouse with the likes of Igor and justin tan.

The George trundle reserve will be good preperation for me. Looking for a big score 9/10 or 9.5/10. Im sure my expect score is over 7.5. Let me win tony it will build my confidence and help our teams moral.

deal?

Tony Dowden
20-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah i am excitied, It should be good. I hope i can win a couple of games. Better open a book or too and not rely on 3 min games on playchess as suffecient preperation, or playing endless games of bughouse with the likes of Igor and justin tan.

The *George Trundle Challengers* will be good preparation for me. Looking for a big score 9/10 or 9.5/10. Im sure my expect score is over 7.5. Let me win tony it will build my confidence and help our teams moral.

deal?

:lol: I'm only a chess tourist these days Gino! The way I am currently playing and with negligible prep I doubt if I will have much say in the outcome of the top placings. Its hard to decide how accurate those NZ-based FIDE ratings are though. I guess we will find out soon.

Tony Dowden
20-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Yeah i am excitied, It should be good. I hope i can win a couple of games.

See if you can do better than I did at your age. At Lucerne/Luzern in 1982 I scored 50% (if I remember correctly) against a range of players from about 1800 strength through to Beliavsky at 2600+ and a world candidates player (at the time).

GinoTHEstud
21-05-2010, 09:11 AM
I will try, my best.

heligan
28-05-2010, 07:10 AM
I can now confirm the board order.
Open: Smith, Steadman, Lukey, Han, Thornton
Women's: Milligan, Maroroa, Chen, Wu, Fairley

arosar
28-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I will try, my best.

Well, you know what Yoda said?

AR

Tony Dowden
28-05-2010, 09:16 PM
I can now confirm the board order.
Open: Smith, Steadman, Lukey, Han, Thornton
Women's: Milligan, Maroroa, Chen, Wu, Fairley

OK, I take everything back everything I ever said about evergreen FM Bob Smith (Board 1!!) being an outsider or past it in terms of Olympiad selection - even if he is only 3 or 4 years younger than me :clap: :clap:

Capablanca-Fan
29-05-2010, 01:49 AM
OK, I take everything back everything I ever said about evergreen FM Bob Smith (Board 1!!) being an outsider or past it in terms of Olympiad selection - even if he is only 3 or 4 years younger than me :clap: :clap:
No way; he would be about 7 years older. The birth year listed on FIDE is a typo. Go down memory lane back to the 1981/2 NZ Champs, the first one for both of us in the top 12 group.

Tony Dowden
29-05-2010, 05:43 PM
No way; he would be about 7 years older. The birth year listed on FIDE is a typo. Go down memory lane back to the 1981/2 NZ Champs, the first one for both of us in the top 12 group.

Yeah, you are right :lol: (I'd forgotten I knew the FIDE typo is a typo!)

I remember when Bob must have been about 18 or so having a hard time against a 15 or 16 year-old Tony Love. Plus as an 18-year-old I beat Bob at the 1978/79 Premier Reserve on the North Shore - also the event when I essayed a Double Muzio and lost ignominiously to a 14 or 15 year-old ;) Then I beat him a couple of years later in the 1981/82 NZ champs you mention (North Shore again actually).

He was always older back then ... so I guess he has to be older now. (I'm sure he'll go on to win the NZ Senior event a fair few times then!)

CivicChessMan
30-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Bob Smith is 54 so still a few years to go before he can play in the NZ Seniors.

CivicChessMan
30-05-2010, 04:55 AM
Whereabouts is Tony Love these days? Another strong player who has disappeared off the chess scene. Here's a list of other strong players that have also vanished.

Mark Levene, David Beach, Patrick Cordue, Giles Bates, David Gollogly, Ben Alexander, Michael Hampl, Lev Aptekar, Isidor Reyn, Simon Fitzpatrick, Paul Cooper, Peter McKenzie, Michael Whaley and Peter Hawkes.

Where are they now?

flukey
30-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Whereabouts is Tony Love these days? Another strong player who has disappeared off the chess scene. Here's a list of other strong players that have also vanished.

Mark Levene, David Beach, Patrick Cordue, Giles Bates, David Gollogly, Ben Alexander, Michael Hampl, Lev Aptekar, Isidor Reyn, Simon Fitzpatrick, Paul Cooper, Peter McKenzie, Michael Whaley and Peter Hawkes.

Where are they now?

Some of these people vanished before I started around 1983 (Bates, Gollogly). Anyway, Love is still working for the ODT in Dunedin. Hampl is a policy analyst in Wellington, Alexander has his own bond management firm in Sydney, and McKenzie is a gun programmer with google also in Sydney.

Adamski
30-05-2010, 10:31 AM
In addition, I recall hearing that Lev Aptekar had passed away. He wrote a number of good chess books.

flukey
30-05-2010, 12:31 PM
In addition, I recall hearing that Lev Aptekar had passed away. He wrote a number of good chess books.

I saw him (or his twin brother!) last year at the North Island Champs.

heligan
31-05-2010, 06:33 AM
The non-travelling reserves are:
Open: John Duneas
Women's: Jennya Charomova

CivicChessMan
31-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Lev is very much alive, at least he is still in the phone book. He is also teaching chess at an Upper Hutt high school. Perhaps you were thinking of Arcadios Feneredis, Jonathan. You may recall the animated discussions that Feneridis and Zyg Frankel had at various tournaments.

CivicChessMan
31-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Tony, were you surprised that Bob Smith is board 1? Mike Steadman is trying to get the IM title and board 2 may give him a better chance than board 1.

GinoTHEstud
31-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Mike should of been board 1. Bob got 0.5/7 last time with a performance of 1700+. The time before that he got 1.5. I can't remember how long it was until he beat a player over his rating. I don't no what the selectors reasoning was apart from rating. Mike has had fanatastic results and has alot of big scalps. and is capable more than anyone else in the team of toppling gms or post 2400 players.

Also is very well prepared gets weekly coaching from Ian Rogers, will play playing alot of tournaments pre-olympaid.

To be honest it doesn't really matter on the big scheme of things, unless wang and chandler were in the team. Should be interresting........

Looks like the team might be changing anyways with a possible withdrawal of somone i wont name unoffically. if this does happen i get board 4 and 6 games at board 3!. Which is coool. I get guarated round 1 vs hopefully all GM team.

I better open a chess book, and stick to my theory from now until olympaid. Looks like 1. d4. and 1 e6 against all black moves!. Writing this down tony?

flukey
31-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Just a follow on from Gino's post I've not been able to confirm my participation. The location, organisation, etc remain a worry. Then there is time away from family etc during school holidays. By not playing I get to play in the George Trundle (also in school hols) and maybe even have enough creds for the Zonal.

Best of luck to the brave souls who remain in the team!

As for board order, I must confess I had thought the choice was between me and Bob for board 2! I thought Mike was a shoo in for board 1 ... in the last 6 months a win and draw against GM Gawain Jones and a win against GM elect George Xie were pretty obvious positive factors to take into account when selecting a board one (Gino has alluded to the negative factors re Bob in his own inimitable style, lol! ).

Tony Dowden
31-05-2010, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=CivicChessMan]Tony, were you surprised that Bob Smith is board 1? Mike Steadman is trying to get the IM title and board 2 may give him a better chance than board 1.[/QUOTE

Yes and no.

To my mind Mike Steadman is stronger than Bob - and has been for at least the last couple of years or so. Mike's Elo rating would reflect that except that he shares a similar affliction to me: the insatiable desire to lose lots of rating points to vicious Australian juniors. In addition he has too mny 'accidents', so seems to have trouble tightening up his game when needed. I put this apparent lack of flexibility down to his long period of relative activity - in my opinion its hard for older players to learn some lessons quickly (even in a few years of match play) - but to some extent Mike's take-no-prisoners style can work against him.

On the other hand Bob is a stalwart of the highest order. He very, very rarely does really badly - the last Olympiad being the exception proving the rule. In addition he's the only top NZ player I've beaten several times so I suspect I have a tendency to under-rate him. (He's hovered around 2300 for a log time so he must be doing something right!)

Tony Dowden
31-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Lev is very much alive, at least he is still in the phone book. He is also teaching chess at an Upper Hutt high school. Perhaps you were thinking of Arcadios Feneredis, Jonathan. You may recall the animated discussions that Feneridis and Zyg Frankel had at various tournaments.

I thought as much! I googled him in the weekend and found out is of Jewish-Ukranian extraction he must be about 72 or 73 - and, apparently, is still on this mortal coil.

Tony Dowden
31-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Just a follow on from Gino's post I've not been able to confirm my participation. The location, organisation, etc remain a worry. Then there is time away from family etc during school holidays. By not playing I get to play in the George Trundle (also in school hols) and maybe even have enough creds for the Zonal.

Best of luck to the brave souls who remain in the team!

As for board order, I must confess I had thought the choice was between me and Bob for board 2! I thought Mike was a shoo in for board 1 ... in the last 6 months a win and draw against GM Gawain Jones and a win against GM elect George Xie were pretty obvious positive factors to take into account when selecting a board one (Gino has alluded to the negative factors re Bob in his own inimitable style, lol! ).

:hmm: The Xie-Steadman game was an awful piece blunder. I would have backed anyone over 1500 to win with Black.

flukey
31-05-2010, 09:06 PM
:hmm: The Xie-Steadman game was an awful piece blunder. I would have backed anyone over 1500 to win with Black.

Not sure it's Mike's fault that he cunningly prepared an opening that Xie wasn't familiar with and then reaped the reward! Maybe the hypothetical over 1500 player would have not prepared as well to get the position?!

The same good preparation was evident in the win and draw v GM Jones.

I think GM Rogers will be happy with his student ... the mid to late 40s dog (Steadman) is being taught some new tricks which must reflect well on the coach!

GinoTHEstud
01-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Hope you can make it Stephen, We need your fire power

Tony Dowden
01-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Not sure it's Mike's fault that he cunningly prepared an opening that Xie wasn't familiar with and then reaped the reward! Maybe the hypothetical over 1500 player would have not prepared as well to get the position?!

I only meant after the blunder!!

Tony Dowden
01-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Hope you can make it Stephen, We need your fire power

Oops, for some reason I missed Stephen was selected! Maybe something to do with the Gino distractor-factor.

Yes, NZ could do with an experienced Board 3

(If Stephen doesn't go I'll get promoted to vice-deputy almost travelling reserve)

Tony Dowden
01-06-2010, 10:29 PM
I think GM Rogers will be happy with his student ... the mid to late 40s dog (Steadman) is being taught some new tricks which must reflect well on the coach!

Yes, Ian has every right to be pleased. Sharpening his repertoire was most insightful as it's not the most obvious thing to do for 'early middle-aged dog'. Still, talent will out - and Mike oozed talent 30 years ago as well.

Adamski
01-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Lev is very much alive, at least he is still in the phone book. He is also teaching chess at an Upper Hutt high school. Perhaps you were thinking of Arcadios Feneredis, Jonathan. You may recall the animated discussions that Feneridis and Zyg Frankel had at various tournaments.Thanks CCM. You, Tony and (hopefully not withdrawn - his post was ambiguous) flukey are right. Good to hear Lev is still going strong. Yes, Fenny was a character, as Jono would also attest to. May he RIP. Is another great character in Zyg still alive?

Capablanca-Fan
02-06-2010, 03:03 AM
Thanks CCM. You, Tony and (hopefully not withdrawn - his post was ambiguous) flukey are right. Good to hear Lev is still going strong. Yes, Fenny was a character, as Jono would also attest to. May he RIP. Is another great character in Zyg still alive?
Afraid not; he predeceased Fenny.

I wrote a little obit for Zyg (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=94602), and annotated his brilliancy against Roger Court (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1458948) (in the championship that Court won) and a simul win against Ian Rogers, and annotated some games from Fenny (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=85104)on ChessGames.com. My obit for Fenny, which included those games, was published in New Zealand Chess, Dec 2007.

heligan
02-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Stephen Lukey is unfortunately no longer available for the Open team for
the Olympiad in Khanty Mansiysk. His place will be taken by John Duneas,
subject to availability.

Shirley Wu is unfortunately no longer available for the Women’s team for the
Olympiad in Khanty Mansiysk. Her place will be taken by Jennya Charomova,
subject to availability.

GinoTHEstud
02-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Anyone no how the parings are set for the first round? Our average team elo will be about 2220. Hopefully we get an all 2400+ team.

Adamski
02-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Afraid not; he predeceased Fenny.

I wrote a little obit for Zyg (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=94602), and annotated his brilliancy against Roger Court (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1458948) (in the championship that Court won) and a simul win against Ian Rogers, and annotated some games from Fenny (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=85104)on ChessGames.com. My obit for Fenny, which included those games, was published in New Zealand Chess, Dec 2007.Many thanks, Jono.

CivicChessMan
03-06-2010, 04:51 PM
The NZCF ranking of the open team after Stephen Lukey's withdrawal is 7, 9, 18, 19 and 25.

Tony Dowden
03-06-2010, 10:21 PM
The NZCF ranking of the open team after Stephen Lukey's withdrawal is 7, 9, 18, 19 and 25.

:lol: I suggest you have your bags packed ready to go on standby CCM. I doubt if the NZCF will even care if you don't reveal your identity, you man of mystery :D

CivicChessMan
04-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I just won my local club championship so I'm ready for the challenge :). Seriously though, I'm hoping our teams will meet the challenge and do better than expected.

Walden
04-06-2010, 02:12 PM
What club you play for ?
early finish for club champs?

Adamski
05-06-2010, 12:02 AM
What club you play for ?
early finish for club champs?A small clue. He does not currently reside in New Zealand!

heligan
08-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately, John Duneas is not available for the Olympiad. The selectors are considering the situation.

CivicChessMan
08-06-2010, 02:10 PM
It does seem strange that players are available for selection but when selected, are no longer available to travel. Begs the question why were they available at all?

Kevin Bonham
08-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Unfortunately, John Duneas is not available for the Olympiad. The selectors are considering the situation.

Do you still have other reserves remaining from those who originally applied or do you need to do a completely fresh selection?

:hmm: My (Dream) Team Tasmania would trouble the Kiwi Men's team! :lol: I don't have time to sort my team out right now so I would start by unilaterally selecting Kevin Bonham as Team Captain (with enormous power and multi-faceted duties) and get him onto selecting a team and working out a cunning board order.

:lol: The sad truth is that on recent form I would not even make the Tasmanian olympiad team as a player assuming all candidates were available. Though I would argue that given that most of my shockers occur in the warmer months I might have a chance if Siberia was cold enough!

heligan
08-06-2010, 05:06 PM
There are still a few reserves left from the original applicants. I have not yet been told what is going to happen. If we re-advertise, I'll let you know. Don't be harsh on those who have pulled out - circumstances do change.

See also the score Open v Women during the course of the recent Waitakere Licensing Trust Open, www.newzealandchess.co.nz...

GinoTHEstud
08-06-2010, 06:37 PM
yeah score was good you guys did so well. I'm proud of you helen. Glad i did my bit to contribute.

Walden
09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Maybe I should play after all I will be oversea at that time:)

Cheers Mark

MichaelBaron
10-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Do the NZ players have to face the same problem as the Aus players and pay their own way to Hanta-Mansiysk? Is it a contributing factor to the difficulties in assembling the strongest possible team?

2 years ago - I was really Impressed with the NZ performance. To have NZ playing on top boards against the likes of Ukraine was thrilling to follow. Being a non-professional players, it really exiting to follow other non-pros from my green continent taking on top players.

GinoTHEstud
10-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Yes we need to pay our own way there as such, NZCF is applying for funding though . Hopefully we get something to help.

Would be nice to play some strong teams this year. But last time we had 5 players over 2300 this year we have none

heligan
10-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Some of the issues that may have caused the poor turnout for the Open team for this Olympiad are discussed on the New Zealand Olympiad page at http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Olympiad2010/olympiad2010.html. There are also details of our Olympiad appeal, if anyone would like to contribute!

flukey
10-06-2010, 06:12 PM
It does seem strange that players are available for selection but when selected, are no longer available to travel. Begs the question why were they available at all?

Funny. I suppose to some alot of things are strange. Still, sometimes thinking and studying the issue can help.

The Olympiad is being held in Siberia in a 60,000 person town in the middle of nowhere. It has oil, but that is going out of fashion so the locals have less money. But the town is still more expensive than Moscow, which I had always thought was the most expensive place in the world or close to it. But then they were going to build a nice hotel for us chessplayers - but we find out it is only a "hotel" till the chessplayers leave - then it is a hostel. We can't even see the hostel because it hasn't been built yet - but we can see an "artists impression", lol. I have never stayed in an "artists impression" before, I suspect it is cold. The runaway extension at the airport was also a plus, until that was canned because of the GFC. Still, maybe the charter plan can cope with the runway ... but does the GFC mean they get a 40 year old ex Aeroflot plane rather than a 20 year old one?

So despite the forgoing promising background, a player puts their hat in the ring. They hope as time moves on some of the issues will be resolved, they will find out about funding, that somehow this Olympiad will be different to the abysmally organised one in 1994 that he also attended. Further research occurs - what is plan B if the food is awful (answer-expensive stuffed pigs head and the like, a delightful prospect for the vegetarian!), etc etc. And then the team is announced ... the inside word on who was and wasn't putting their name forward didn't transpire. Board 3 so the chance of playing an average field of under 2200!! Possibly much less.

So a decision, with many things still extremely worrying about organisation, safety, etc etc, does one try to get the final tick off - convince a wife who is worried about all the things just mentioned? Well, I chose no. I tried but finally common sense has to win out - a 9 player round robin In Auckland against 2300 average opposition for one week is a better bet than 2100ish opposition in Siberia for two and a half weeks. Life goes on ...

I enjoyed the Dresden Olympiad more than any tourney in my life ... as Michael Baron alludes to, the buzz of playing the guns was exhilirating ... not to mention the buzz of having an ex world top 10 player in our own team!.The day we beat Bosnia, had a celebration dinner at the top restaurant in town, and then found we had Ukraine the next round was unmatcheable. Other memories include playing next to players like Carlsen, Jebova, and Leko (often the board 4 from one match was next to board one from another match) ... it is quite unnerving having Carlsen staring at your game calculating what should happen when it is your turn to move! The memory of this Olympiad made me want to recreate the experience in Siberia but clearly I was kidding myself.

Of course my doubts could be completely misplaced ... Khanty might be a great Olympiad. I wish all participants the best of luck. Those who have not been to an Olympiad should still find it very interesting and worth the risk.

GinoTHEstud
10-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Ignorance is bliss!. Why did i read your post ;).

I am actully now concerned.

flukey
10-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Gino, my last sentence applies to you ... your first olympiad ... go for it!

GinoTHEstud
10-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Will do. You can watch my masterpieces live.

Tony Dowden
10-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Ignorance is bliss!. Why did i read your post ;).

I am actully now concerned.

It's OK Gino.

A few year ago my sister served in Uzbekistan as a nurse with Medecin Sans Frontiers (approx spelling). She say the old Soviet era planes were well serviced with regular maintenance of the rubber bands, bailing wire and paper clips holding them together.

You have it easy actually. The Russian steppes are flat (kind of). Whereas in Uzbekistan the air transports had to take off/land on short airstrips with (literally) Himalayan-sized mountain ranges to dodge. Plus back then 9/11 had just happened and she was in THAT part of the world where someone might want to try out fancy ground-to-air military equipment.

So I reckon you'll be fine. Just stick to worrying about the King's Indian (or winning the George) :D

Tony Dowden
10-06-2010, 09:00 PM
There are still a few reserves left from the original applicants. I have not yet been told what is going to happen. If we re-advertise, I'll let you know. Don't be harsh on those who have pulled out - circumstances do change.

See also the score Open v Women during the course of the recent Waitakere Licensing Trust Open, www.newzealandchess.co.nz...

Nice work ladies :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tony Dowden
10-06-2010, 09:01 PM
A small clue. He does not currently reside in New Zealand!
Does he live in WA?

Adamski
10-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Does he live in WA?No. Of course, you can always PM him. I knew him well in my Wellington days. But not for me to give the game away...

Tony Dowden
14-06-2010, 06:12 PM
:lol: OK, I wouldn't want to 'out' CCM

Garvinator
15-06-2010, 12:41 AM
:lol: OK, I wouldn't want to 'out' CCM
So he would then be a closet CCM ;)

heligan
18-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Jennya Charomova has now confirmed she will take up her place in the Women's team. However, I still have not heard anything from the selectors about the empty place in the Open team.

Tony Dowden
18-06-2010, 07:35 PM
All the best Jennya! (Bled 2002 seems so long ago)

heligan
28-06-2010, 03:28 PM
After several withdrawals from the 2010 Open Chess Olympiad team to Khanty Mansiysk the NZCF Council has decided to re-open applications for one place in the Open team for a period of seven days closing at 5:00 pm (NZ time!) on Friday, 2nd July.

For full details and an application form, please go to the Olympiad page,
http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Olympiad2010/olympiad2010.html

Walden
29-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Ok maybe I try play if Selected for team just need to get the info about it all as I will be away in Turkey as well about that time.

CivicChessMan
02-07-2010, 01:55 AM
If Mark Noble does apply for the Olympiad team, I should think there's a good chance of him being the fifth man. He is ranked in the top 20 on the NZCF rating list. Mark will be a valuable asset to the team.

Capablanca-Fan
02-07-2010, 02:32 AM
If Mark Noble does apply for the Olympiad team, I should think there's a good chance of him being the fifth man. He is ranked in the top 20 on the NZCF rating list. Mark will be a valuable asset to the team.
Definitely: the theoretical knowledge of a CC GM is bound to help the team in preparation.

Adamski
02-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Definitely: the theoretical knowledge of a CC GM is bound to help the team in preparation.Agreed. I hope Mark makes the team.

heligan
02-07-2010, 11:12 AM
A reminder that applications for the remaining place in the Open team must be received by 5pm (NZ time) today...

Walden
02-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Looks like Can't make team as I cant get to Turkey after olympaid before I need to so will not be playing in team

Adamski
02-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Looks like Can't make team as I can get to Turkey after olympaid before I need to so will not be playing in teamThat's a pity. All the best for your current corres games, Mark.

Walden
03-07-2010, 03:59 PM
yes shame about not been able to play just have to keep working on my OTB play again since it looks like in the last 14 years it is much the same
with Ker as number 1 player .

Tony Dowden
05-07-2010, 07:25 PM
... with Ker as number 1 player .
In Lower Hutt you mean? ;)

heligan
07-07-2010, 06:55 PM
The NZCF selectors have announced that the final place in the NZ Open team
to the Olympiad in Khanty Mansiysk will be taken by Nic Croad who is
currently resident in the UK. The Open team in board order is now:
1. Bob Smith
2. Mike Steadman
3. Nic Croad
4. Daniel Han
5. Gino Thornton

CivicChessMan
07-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Nic Croad - heading off to London shortly to seek his fortune.

When everyone was "available", I had Nic as second reserve. He pushed Anthony Ker close in the NZ Championship, finishing unbeaten and half a point behind. Then went on to win the NZ Rapid. Nic is currently ranked in the top ten on the NZCF rating list. His inclusion is a real boost for the open team. The ranking of the team is now 7, 8, 9, 17 and 19. Congratulations Nic!

MrRookHammer
08-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Without the big NZ Chess stars for a NZ dream team like GM Chandler, IM Ker, IM Dive and IM Wang it would be diffcult to find a stronger team than has been selected. Good news Nic Croad is available

Tony Dowden
09-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Agreed. Despite not being a 'Dream Team' the 2010 Open team isn't that shabby. Three of in the team are doing quite well (to date, with two rounds to go) in the George Trundle Masters.

In addition, Women's Board 1 Helen Milligan is playing solidly in the Qualifiers.

heligan
24-07-2010, 05:44 PM
TWIC has a report on the current state of Olympiad preparations, at
http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/chessnews/events/39th-chess-olympiad-khanty-mansiysk-2010/fide-concerned-about-pace-of-olympiad-preparations.

This is based on a Russian article, at
http://ura.ru/content/khanti/23-07-2010/news/1052117193.html,
which has lots of photos of the Olympiad hotel.

heligan
26-07-2010, 03:04 PM
There will be a fund-raising blitz event at the Auckland Chess Centre, 3:00pm on Saturday 31st July (player registration at 2:30). Entry fee $20; lots of non-cash prizes. See
http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/calendar.html
for full details. All welcome!

heligan
02-08-2010, 04:01 PM
The NZCF Council regrets to announce that Gino Thornton is unable to take up his place in the Olympiad Open Team. At this stage NZCF is unable to conduct another selection procedure or substitute players. However, the organisers will allow New Zealand to nominate Team Captain Hilton Bennett as reserve player. Hilton will also remain as Captain of the Open Team and Team Manager of New Zealand.

MrRookHammer
04-08-2010, 08:11 AM
New Zealand Olympiad Team new reserve player

Hilton Bennett
Fide 1970 *

* expected rating change from recent results -18.6

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=4300734

lastest tournament result - 8th out of 10 with 3/9

Place Name Rtg Score Berg.

1-4 Gibbons, Robert 2002 6 25.50
Milligan, Helen 2015 6 25.00
Ansell, Alan 1975 6 24.00
Dowden, R. Anthony 2123 6 22.00
5-6 Stuart, Peter 2053 5 18.75
Tanoi, Toleafoa E 2013 5 17.25
7 Gao, Hans 1793 4.5 16.75
8 Bennett, Hilton 1970 3 13.50
9 Chen, Eachen 2007 2 7.50
10 Forster, William 1944 1.5 5.25

heligan
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I would just like to remind readers that the cut-off date for declaring Olympiad teams was 20th July. The organisers have indicated that the rules will be applied and no further changes will be permitted. Discussion of who might have replaced Gino is, as the Vogons would say, futile...

Tony Dowden
07-08-2010, 03:50 PM
I would just like to remind readers that the cut-off date for declaring Olympiad teams was 20th July. The organisers have indicated that the rules will be applied and no further changes will be permitted. Discussion of who might have replaced Gino is, as the Vogons would say, futile...

Huh? Isn't ChessChat all about inane and largely irrelevant discussion?!

Besides, I think you'll the Vogon term (reserved for occasions when they wanted to be especially charming) was 'resistance is futile'.

Tony Dowden
07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
New Zealand Olympiad Team new reserve player

Hilton Bennett
Fide 1970 *

Its true that Hilton hasn't had a good run lately but he's a seasoned and knowledgeable player capable of excellent chess against strong players (draws and the odd win against IMs and at least one draw against a GM).

I'm absolutely confident that he'll be a very effective Player/Captain for 2 or 3 rounds if needed - in the same way as Michael Freeman was at the Yerevan OL.

CivicChessMan
08-08-2010, 07:30 AM
From Wikipedia:

The Vogons' battle-cry, and counter-argument to dissent, is "resistance is useless!"

The phrase "resistance is futile" became "prevalent in popular culture" from its use in the television show Star Trek: The Next Generation. The Borg use the phrase in several Star Trek episodes and the film Star Trek: First Contact (1996).

Tony Dowden
08-08-2010, 02:40 PM
From Wikipedia:

The Vogons' battle-cry, and counter-argument to dissent, is "resistance is useless!"

The phrase "resistance is futile" became "prevalent in popular culture" from its use in the television show Star Trek: The Next Generation. The Borg use the phrase in several Star Trek episodes and the film Star Trek: First Contact (1996).

Hah, 'resistance is useless' - I wasn't 100% sure I had it right. Thanks for the correction CCM

Tony Dowden
16-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Its true that Hilton hasn't had a good run lately but he's a seasoned and knowledgeable player capable of excellent chess against strong players (draws and the odd win against IMs and at least one draw against a GM).

I'm absolutely confident that he'll be a very effective Player/Captain for 2 or 3 rounds if needed - in the same way as Michael Freeman was at the Yerevan OL.

During the Waikato Open over this last weekend (August 14-15) Hilton beat Board 1 FM Bob Smith. I rest my case :D

heligan
05-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Preliminary team lists have been made available at http://www.chessdom.com/news-2010/chess-olympiad-2010-participants

heligan
09-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Chess-results now has the Olympiad teams and presumably will have results in due course. See http://chess-results.com/tnr36795.aspx?art=31&lan=1&turdet=YES&flag=30&m=-1&wi=1000

heligan
14-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately Jennya Charomova has been forced to withdraw from the Women's team - the Russians will not issue her a visa on her New Zealand passport, and there is insufficient time for her to renew her Russian passport. We hope to register Viv Smith as reserve player (in addition to her captain's duties).

CivicChessMan
22-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Open team lost 4-0 to the 18th seeded Cuba. No real surprise there. Cuba fielded 4 GMs.

Women's team lost 3-1 to 12th seeded Slovenia. Good result with Maroroa and Fairley drawing on boards 2 and 4 respectively.

In round 2, the open team play 144th ranked Mauritania while the women's team play 80th ranked Puerto Rico. Hopefully, points on the board after this round.

PS: Aussie women won 4-0 against Nigeria while open team won 4-0 against Bahrain to earn a match against 6th
seeds Armenia.

Qbert
22-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Let the yo-yoing results begin....:)

good work from Sue and Natasha to get some points on the board.

Adamski
22-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Let the yo-yoing results begin....:)

good work from Sue and Natasha to get some points on the board.
Yes, indeed. Go NZ!

Kevin Bonham
23-09-2010, 12:15 AM
In round 2, the open team play 144th ranked Mauritania while the women's team play 80th ranked Puerto Rico. Hopefully, points on the board after this round.

3-1 and 1-3 respectively if my adding up is right.

Qbert
23-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Both teams now to play Ireland.

Bo. 80 PUR Puerto Rico (PUR) Rtg - 72 NZL New Zealand (NZL) Rtg 3 : 1
33.1 WFM Segarra Choe Tammy 2014 - WFM Milligan Helen 2033 ˝ - ˝
33.2 Pacheco Medina Hilzandryly 1875 - WIM Maroroa Sue 1981 ˝ - ˝
33.3 Sanchez Rodriguez Wilmairi 1812 - WCM Chen Eachen 1966 1 - 0
33.4 Comas Colon Rinelly 1696 - WFM Fairley Natasha 1777 1 - 0

Rd3:45 72 NZL NZL New Zealand 2 0 : 0 ˝ Ireland IRL IRL 107

Bo. 145 MTN Mauritania (MTN) Rtg - 92 NZL New Zealand (NZL) Rtg 1 : 3
72.1 Mohamed Cheikh Boidiya Sidi 0 - FM Smith Robert W 2282 0 - 1
72.2 Daouda Sabar Ousmane 0 - FM Steadman Michael 2309 0 - 1
72.3 Hemam Moulaye Brahim 0 - FM Croad Nicolas 2297 ˝ - ˝
72.4 Ould Taleb Mohamed Ahmed 0 - Han Daniel 2200 ˝ - ˝
Rd3: 47 92 NZL NZL New Zealand 3 2 : 2 4˝ Ireland IRL IRL 75

Tony Dowden
23-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Both teams now to play Ireland.

The luck of the Irish! This will be a good test all round and an opportunity for some in the team to find some form.

Qbert
24-09-2010, 05:41 AM
NZ men beat the Irish!:clap:

Bo. 92 NZL New Zealand (NZL) Rtg - 75 IRL Ireland (IRL) Rtg 2˝:1˝
47.1 FM Smith Robert W 2282 - IM Collins Sam E 2431 0 - 1
47.2 FM Steadman Michael 2309 - FM Astaneh Lopez Alex 2393 1 - 0
47.3 FM Croad Nicolas 2297 - FM Daly Colm 2277 1 - 0
47.4 Han Daniel 2200 - Fitzsimons David 2229 ˝ - ˝
and now play Austria:
30 92 NZL NZL New Zealand 5˝ 4 : 4 8 Austria AUT AUT 45

NZ women crush the Irish!!:clap: :clap:

Bo. 72 NZL New Zealand (NZL) Rtg - 107 IRL Ireland (IRL) Rtg 3˝: ˝
45.1 WFM Milligan Helen 2033 - Alfred Emily 0 ˝ - ˝
45.2 WIM Maroroa Sue 1981 - Shaughnessy Elizabeth 0 1 - 0
45.3 WCM Chen Eachen 1966 - Hearne Sarah-Jane 0 1 - 0
45.4 WFM Fairley Natasha 1777 - WCM O'Boyle Una 0 1 - 0
and now face similarly rated Egypt
34 73 EGY EGY Egypt 4 2 : 2 5˝ New Zealand NZL NZL 72

go teams!

Tony Dowden
24-09-2010, 08:05 AM
NZ men beat the Irish!:clap:

NZ women crush the Irish!!:clap: :clap:

Crazy game by Steadman and his willing opponent backed up by sound and sensible play by Croad who had an over-optimistic opponent. Sam Collins ground Smith nicely - perhaps a GM norm is within Collin's capabilities. Han drifted in a great position and may not have settled yet.

I thought the fruit of painstaking efforts to develop NZ women's chess over many years were evident in the Ireland encounter - the Kiwis were much too classy :cool:

MichaelBaron
24-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Great Result by Kiwis:clap:

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Astanah Lopez - Steadman

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 Nc6 4. Ngf3 Nf6 5. e5 Nd7 6. Bd3 Nb4 7. Be2 c5 8. c3
Nc6 9. Bd3 g6 10. a3 Bg7 11. b4 cxd4 12. cxd4 O-O 13. Bb2 a6 14. O-O f6 15. Qe2
fxe5 16. Nxe5 Ndxe5 17. dxe5 Bd7 18. Nb3 Rf7 19. f4 Qb6+ 20. Kh1 Raf8 21. g3 Bc8
22. h4 Bh6 23. Qg4 a5 24. h5 g5 25. Kg2 axb4 26. fxg5 Rf2+ 27. Kh3 Bg7 28. h6
Bxe5 29. g6 Bxb2 30. g7 Re8 31. Rxf2 Qxf2 32. Qh5 e5+ 33. g4 Bxg4+ 34. Kxg4 Qg2+
35. Kf5 Qg6+ 36. Qxg6 hxg6+ 37. Kxg6 Ne7+ 38. Kg5 Bxa1 39. Nxa1 e4 40. Be2 Kh7
41. Bh5 Ra8 42. a4 Rxa4 43. Nc2 b3 44. Ne3 d4 45. Nf5 Ra5 46. Bg4 0-1

Fritz says white is losing all the way from move 26 *gulp*

Adamski
24-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Great Result by Kiwis:clap:Indeed so! Keep it up, NZ teams!

Tony Dowden
24-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Astanah Lopez - Steadman

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 Nc6 4. Ngf3 Nf6 5. e5 Nd7 6. Bd3 Nb4 7. Be2 c5 8. c3
Nc6 9. Bd3 g6 10. a3 Bg7 11. b4 cxd4 12. cxd4 O-O 13. Bb2 a6 14. O-O f6 15. Qe2
fxe5 16. Nxe5 Ndxe5 17. dxe5 Bd7 18. Nb3 Rf7 19. f4 Qb6+ 20. Kh1 Raf8 21. g3 Bc8
22. h4 Bh6 23. Qg4 a5 24. h5 g5 25. Kg2 axb4 26. fxg5 Rf2+ 27. Kh3 Bg7 28. h6
Bxe5 29. g6 Bxb2 30. g7 Re8 31. Rxf2 Qxf2 32. Qh5 e5+ 33. g4 Bxg4+ 34. Kxg4 Qg2+
35. Kf5 Qg6+ 36. Qxg6 hxg6+ 37. Kxg6 Ne7+ 38. Kg5 Bxa1 39. Nxa1 e4 40. Be2 Kh7
41. Bh5 Ra8 42. a4 Rxa4 43. Nc2 b3 44. Ne3 d4 45. Nf5 Ra5 46. Bg4 0-1

Fritz says white is losing all the way from move 26 *gulp*

Thanks Kevin. Interesting eval by Fritz. At the time I sensed White's attack was desperate rather than winning but Black had to find a lot of moves.

CivicChessMan
25-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Open: NZ got hammered by 45th ranked Austria 0.5 - 3.5 and will meet 76th ranked Iraq in round 5.

Women: Excellent result against 73rd ranked Egypt winning 2.5 - 1.5. And their opponents in round 5 are (drum roll) Australia!! :owned:

CivicChessMan
26-09-2010, 12:24 AM
NZ Open team drew with Iraq while the NZ Women lost narrowly to Australia 1.5 - 2.5.

Kevin Bonham
26-09-2010, 01:52 AM
NZ Open team drew with Iraq while the NZ Women lost narrowly to Australia 1.5 - 2.5.

And were unlucky to do so I think, though I have not looked through all those games that closely (indeed the moves coming through on board 4 didn't make sense at one stage.)

Anyway the day after tomorrow, the NZ Open team plays the substantially higher rated Scotland (63) and NZ Womens team plays the slightly lower rated Jordan (79).

CivicChessMan
28-09-2010, 01:54 AM
NZ Open lost narrowly to higher ranked Scotland 1.5 - 2.5 and will face 106th ranked Panama in round 7.

NZ Women won 3-1 against Egypt and will play 44th ranked Turkmenistan next.

CivicChessMan
29-09-2010, 05:50 AM
A good win to the Open team over Panama by 3-1. NZ now has 7 points and is in 79th place. In round 8, NZ is paired against South Africa. Let's hope we can repeat what the All Blacks did to the Springboks.

A superb 2-2 result for the NZ Women's team against 44th ranked Turkmenistan. NZ has 7 points and is in 56th place. In round 8, NZ meets 32nd ranked Bosnia & Herzegovina.

CivicChessMan
29-09-2010, 05:52 AM
We have the All Blacks, the Tall Blacks, the Black Sticks, the Black Ferns, etc. so how about calling our chess teams the Black Rooks? Any other suggestions?

Qbert
29-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Mike Steadman has reasonable chances for a 13 game IM norm. So far he is less than half a point below the required performance:

Steadman Michael FM 2309 NZL Rp:2302
Rd. SNo Name Rtg FED Rp Pts. Res. Bo.
1 96 GM Quesada Perez Yuniesky 2614 CUB 2573 3,0 s 0 2
2 673 Daouda Sabar Ousmane 2050 MTN 1963 3,0 w 1 2
3 313 FM Astaneh Lopez Alex 2393 IRL 2414 4,0 s 1 2
4 122 GM Shengelia David 2587 AUT 2486 4,0 s 0 2
5 336 FM Al-Ali Hussein Ali Hussein 2364 IRQ 2331 4,0 w ˝ 2
6 260 GM Shaw John 2446 SCO 2095 2,0 w ˝ 2
7 473 FM Sanchez Jorge 2163 PAN 2158 2,5 s 1 2
16617 dp required % required points
2373.857143 76.14285714 0.61 4.27

I hope this doesn't jinx his chances...;)

Tony Dowden
29-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Mike Steadman has reasonable chances for a 13 game IM norm. So far he is less than half a point below the required performance:

I hope this doesn't jinx his chances...;)

That's a very interesting observation Q.

After Mike's solid win yesterday I could see it looked like he could put in a good Elo perf for the Olympiad (and so finally benefitting from the 'baptism of fire' back in Europe) but it hadn't occurred to me he could be within cooee of an IM norm.

Once the yoyo effect settles he may get a chance to have a crack at 2-3 IM's - which might be enough to do the trick.

Go Mike :D

Tony Dowden
29-09-2010, 12:29 PM
We have the All Blacks, the Tall Blacks, the Black Sticks, the Black Ferns, etc. so how about calling our chess teams the Black Rooks? Any other suggestions?

All Black & Whites :lol:

Qbert
29-09-2010, 12:57 PM
If Mike plays 2 IM Kobese Watu 2370 RSA next round then "all" he needs is another 2375 ish opponent and 1.5/2 from round 8 & 9 to achieve the 9-game norm by my calculations. All other requirements should be filled. This then becomes converted to a 13-game norm according to the FIDE regs (http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=58&view=article).

my choice is the White Blacks.

Bill Gletsos
29-09-2010, 02:02 PM
If Mike plays 2 IM Kobese Watu 2370 RSA next round then "all" he needs is another 2375 ish opponent and 1.5/2 from round 8 & 9 to achieve the 9-game norm by my calculations. All other requirements should be filled. This then becomes converted to a 13-game norm according to the FIDE regs (http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=58&view=article).

my choice is the White Blacks.Actually if he scores an actual IM norm by fulling all IM norm requirements as would be the case in your described scenario it is counted as 20 games not 13.

It is only if a player fails to meet all IM norm requirements but still has a +2449.5 performance rating it gets treated as 13 game IM norm.

Qbert
29-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Right you are Bill, thanks.
I was confusing the terminology between norm and IM performance :)

Garrett
29-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Best of luck to Mike.

Hope he gets it and will be checking in on the rest of his games !

Adamski
29-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Best of luck to Mike.

Hope he gets it and will be checking in on the rest of his games !
Go the Steady-man! Terrific stuff so far from a very likeable guy - and I recall seeing him beat IM George Xie (who blundered a piece early) at the last SIO. I was there for that round. IM norm here we come!

Kevin Bonham
30-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Steadman won again tonight, the match with SA was 2-2.

Qbert
30-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Steadman won again tonight, the match with SA was 2-2.
Well done Mike :clap: . Unfortunately the next match is against Kenya, so Steadman will either play
2 Singe Philip unrated KEN or
3 CM Mukabi John 2074 KEN
which amounts to much the same thing (unrated being treated as 2050 for norm purposes). That means he must win to achieve a norm. Even if Bob stood down and Mike played top board, the rating average would be too low for 5.5/9 to be a norm. Still, you'd have to back him on this form to beat either Singe or Mukabi, so this could make Mike an IM-elect!:owned:

flukey
30-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Yes Mike is going great guns ... the grovel v GM Shaw to save a 2 pawn down position was skin of the teeth stuff but other games have been very nice.

Where are the IM calc, are we sure a win this round is enough for the norm? If so, I'll send Mike a good luck text!

Qbert
30-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Where are the IM calc, are we sure a win this round is enough for the norm? If so, I'll send Mike a good luck text!

8 333 IM Kobese Watu 2370 RSA 2276 2,0 w 1 2
9 Singe Philip (Unrated) 2050 KEN
Total 21037 dp required % required points 5
Average 2337.444444 112.5555556 0.66 5.94 5.94

sorry about the formatting mess. But the bottom line is the important part: The IM norm score with the field Mike has faced is 5.94/9. So a win to get to 6 is required. All other requirements such as titled players and federation faced are filled.

In case you are wondering, Bob Smith could still achieve an 11-game IM norm by winning three times and getting similar strength opponents

Garrett
30-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Keep it up men !!

I recall seeing him beat IM George Xie (who blundered a piece early) at the last SIO. I was there for that round.

Yes, not too many way for White to lose quickly in the French :eek: Fortunately for Mike, George found one.

cheers
Garrett.

flukey
30-09-2010, 11:30 AM
9 Singe Philip (Unrated) 2050 KEN
Total 21037 dp required % required points 5
Average 2337.444444 112.5555556 0.66 5.94 5.94

sorry about the formatting mess. But the bottom line is the important part: The IM norm score with the field Mike has faced is 5.94/9. So a win to get to 6 is required. All other requirements such as titled players and federation faced are filled.

In case you are wondering, Bob Smith could still achieve an 11-game IM norm by winning three times and getting similar strength opponents

So I'm taking it that the two unrateds (two if the unrated Kenya guy plays) both count as 2050 and that is all ok. So GO MIKE!!!!

Tony Dowden
30-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Well done Mike :clap: . Unfortunately the next match is against Kenya, so Steadman will either play
2 Singe Philip unrated KEN or
3 CM Mukabi John 2074 KEN
which amounts to much the same thing (unrated being treated as 2050 for norm purposes). That means he must win to achieve a norm. Even if Bob stood down and Mike played top board, the rating average would be too low for 5.5/9 to be a norm. Still, you'd have to back him on this form to beat either Singe or Mukabi, so this could make Mike an IM-elect!:owned:

Fantastic - as they say in every third or fourth sentence in Tasmania - but this really is great news! :D

If Mike wins his 9th round game will he essentially have the title (literally an IM-elect) or will he have to get his Elo rating up to 2400 first?

Qbert
30-09-2010, 12:40 PM
If Mike wins his 9th round game will he essentially have the title (literally an IM-elect) or will he have to get his Elo rating up to 2400 first?
The rating over 2400 is still needed. Only Zonal IM titles escape that. But in NZ it is the IM norm chances that are in short supply - he can earn the rating points easily enough without expensive travel once the norms are in the bag.

flukey
30-09-2010, 12:48 PM
The rating over 2400 is still needed. Only Zonal IM titles escape that. But in NZ it is the IM norm chances that are in short supply - he can earn the rating points easily enough without expensive travel once the norms are in the bag.

Not quite so easy as it used to be because of the multiple rating periods per year - ie in the old days you could be 2320 ... then play heaps of games in a 6 month period at say a 2340 level, and you could amass enough points to get to 2400 ... nowdays you have to get your rating to say 2350 and then bank on 3 or 4 standout tournaments. Of course another route is just to play like a 2400 player all the time!

Tony Dowden
30-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Thanks Q.

According to 'ChessResults' Mike now has Black against Phillip Singe (KEN) who is unrated with a Olympiad perf of around 1900. I suppose we shouldn't count our chickens yet but if Mike comes to the board with the right mind-set he will be very tough to stop. GO MIKE!!

Tony Dowden
30-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Not quite so easy as it used to be because of the multiple rating periods per year - ie in the old days you could be 2320 ... then play heaps of games in a 6 month period at say a 2340 level, and you could amass enough points to get to 2400 ... nowdays you have to get your rating to say 2350 and then bank on 3 or 4 standout tournaments. Of course another route is just to play like a 2400 player all the time!

Yes, not so easy (cf George Xie not getting to 2500 thus far) but I'm confident Mike will get to 2400. Eventually! :lol:

Qbert
30-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Have to go to sleep now (NZ daylight saving began last w/e) but already Steadman (black) looks better

[Event "39th WCO"]
[Site "0:23.42-0:15.15"]
[Date "2010.09.30"]
[Round "09"]
[White "Singe, Philip"]
[Black "Steadman, Michael"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[WhiteElo "0"]
[BlackElo "2309"]
[WhiteCountry "KEN"]
[BlackTitle "FM"]
[BlackCountry "NZL"]
[Remark "Open Sect. M 39 B 2"]
[PresId "1001090392"]

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 Nc6 4. c3 e5 5. exd5 Qxd5 6. dxe5 Nxe5 7. Ngf3
Nd3+ 8. Bxd3 Qxd3 9. Qe2+ Qxe2+ 10. Kxe2 Bd7 11. Re1 O-O-O 12. Kf1 h6 13.
Nb3 Nf6 14. Be3 b6 15. Bf4 Nh5 16. Be5 f6 17. Bd4 c5 18. Be3 Bd6 19. Kg1
Bc6 20. Nh4 g5 21. Nf5 Bf8 22. Rad1 Rxd1 23. Rxd1 Bd7 24. Ng3 Ng7 25. Ne4
Be7 26. f3 Kc7 27. Bf2 Nh5 28. Re1 Rh7 29. Nc1 f5 30. Ng3 Nf6 31. Nf1 f4
32. Nd3 Bb5 33. Nc1 Bf8 34. b3 Rd7 35. c4 Bc6 36. Re6 Bg7 37. Ne2 Ng8 38.
Be1 Rd6 39. Rxd6 Kxd6 40. Bc3 Bxc3 41. Nxc3 Ke5 42. Ne2 Ne7 43. Kf2 Nf5 44.
Nd2 a6 45. g3 fxg3+ 46. hxg3 Nd6 47. g4 b5 48. Ke3 Be8 49. Nc3 Bg6 50. cxb5
axb5 51. a4 bxa4 52. Nxa4 Kd5 53. Nb6+
1/2-1/2

Alas it wasn't to be.:wall: I thought 2 Bs in a open position would give black some advantage but the symmetrical pawn structure seems to have made making headway difficult. Still a win against his next Belgian opponent should just scrape through for a 10-game norm.

Tony Dowden
01-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Alas it wasn't to be ... Still a win against his next Belgian opponent should just scrape through for a 10-game norm.

Alas indeed :( I though f5-f4 should have been held back. And an h-pawn pushed through instead (at various possible points). Dunno if it would have made much difference though.

Do you have any calculations re a 10-game norm?

Qbert
01-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Alas indeed :( I though f5-f4 should have been held back. And an h-pawn pushed through instead (at various possible points). Dunno if it would have made much difference though.
I thought 24....Nxg3 should have been played - enhancing the power of the 2 bishops and the doubled pawns might later become weak or allow the possibility of a pawn breakthrough. maybe Mike thought 'keep the bitties on' (an old Canterbury CC principle when playing weaker players) would be enough. :D

Do you have any calculations re a 10-game norm?

9 679 Singe Philip 2050 KEN 1953 2,0 s ˝ 2
10 IM Saibulatov Daniyal 2400 BEL
Total 23437 dp required % required points 5.5
Average 2343.7 106.3 0.65 6.5

So 6.5/10 is the required score, even if Mike faces the Belgian bd 3 (I assumed bd 2 for convenience). Bob is still on track for an 11 game norm if he beats the Belgian bd 1. And if that happens AND Mike wins AND we win the match AND face a team with a bd 1 >=2590 elo then Bob would only need a draw in round 11.;)

flukey
01-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Rats ... yes I fell asleep after 20 or so moves and also thought the 2 bishops would carry the day for Mike ...

Obviously 3 and a half was a great result for the team just a pity that Mike's was the half!

I guess Mike should get white against Belgium which should be some help ...

Qbert
01-10-2010, 09:08 AM
It's good to see both teams playing well above their seeding in the event so far (though the low ranking of the open team is partly due to the inclusion of the team captain's rating). If the open team weren't performing so well in general then possibly neither Mike or Bob would have met the required field to be considering norms at all. Eachen Chen seems to have recovered from a poor start in the women's team and Sue is doing well.:clap:

Qbert
01-10-2010, 12:17 PM
To illustrate the good performance of the NZ teams to date - has anyone else noticed that the open team are leading the group D category?:clap:

Group D
Rk. SNo flag Team Team TB1 TB2 TB3 TB4
1 92 NZL NZL New Zealand 10,0 128,5 18,0 75,0
2 105 LBA LBA Libya 9,0 123,5 18,0 68,0
3 100 PUR PUR Puerto Rico 9,0 107,5 14,5 79,0
4 91 ALG ALG Algeria 8,0 120,5 18,0 70,0
5 96 BAR BAR Barbados 8,0 114,5 16,5 70,0
6 103 GUA GUA Guatemala 8,0 107,0 17,0 68,0
7 90 LUX LUX Luxembourg 8,0 95,5 16,5 72,0
8 99 LIB LIB Lebanon 8,0 87,5 15,5 70,0
9 113 JCI JCI Jersey 8,0 82,0 13,5 71,0
10 97 JAM JAM Jamaica 7,0 106,0 15,5 67,0

and the women's team are coming third in group D :clap:

Group D
1 85 TJK TJK Tajikistan 9,0 122,5 18,5 65,0
2 71 RSA RSA South Africa 9,0 120,0 20,5 67,0
3 72 NZL NZL New Zealand 9,0 117,0 18,0 67,0
4 73 EGY EGY Egypt 9,0 115,5 18,5 66,0
5 82 KGZ KGZ Kyrgyzstan 8,0 110,5 16,0 74,0
6 77 GUA GUA Guatemala 8,0 109,0 18,0 67,0
7 70 WLS WLS Wales 8,0 99,5 17,5 65,0
8 74 MAS MAS Malaysia 8,0 98,0 17,5 68,0
9 81 UAE UAE United Arab Emirates 8,0 85,5 17,0 63,0
10 87 SYR SYR Syria 8,0 77,5 16,5 65,0

SHump
01-10-2010, 01:11 PM
It is good to see NZ open team currently AHEAD in the rankings compared to Australia, with 2 rounds to go!

But it is a shame that Hilton Bennett has not been let loose on the olympiad scene yet (well in a playing capacity anyway).

I had not realised that there were categories (re group D etc), but I guess there has to be, to keep up some interest lower down the table...

SHump
01-10-2010, 01:27 PM
It's good to see both teams playing well above their seeding in the event so far (though the low ranking of the open team is partly due to the inclusion of the team captain's rating).

From what I can calculate, the team rating (2275 in this case for NZ open team) is taken from the top 4 players only, so the team captain and/or the 5th player is not included. I did this calc for teams either side of NZ and it seems to be consistent. So there is no need to thank the team captain ;)

Bill Gletsos
01-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Note Mike played 2 unrated players in rounds 2 & 9.
All unrated players are treated as being rated at the current rating floor which is 1200.
Only one player is permitted to be up lifted to 2050.

That means the average rating of his opponents for the 10 games is 2257.2 and the norm score is 7.5 points. As he currently is only on 5.5 this is not possible.

However if I have done this correctly then I believe he can achieve an IM norm.

A player can disregard any player they beat.

Therefore if he drops the 1200 he beat and the other uplifts to 2050 then the average rating of the remaining 9 players is 2374.67
The norm score for that is 5.5.
He already has 4.5 from those 9 games so a win tonight would get him an IM norm.

Kevin Bonham
01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Based on what Bill says above it appears that Steadman did not actually miss an IM norm last night, since even if he won, he would have had to include two unrateds, one at 1200, making his average rating of opponents too low.

However, had he won last night he would have only needed a draw tonight against an opponent of similar strength to the one he is playing.

Of course, had he won last night NZ would probably be playing someone different today!

Tony Dowden
01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the clarification Bill. (I think 1200 is a bit rough as a floor though! Especially for 'weak' unrated players in places like Russia - or olympiads).

Now we'll have to cheer Mike on all night all over again, kinda like a second AFL Grand Final :D

Tony Dowden
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Based on what Bill says above it appears that Steadman did not actually miss an IM norm last night, since even if he won, he would have had to include two unrateds, one at 1200, making his average rating of opponents too low.

However, had he won last night he would have only needed a draw tonight against an opponent of similar strength to the one he is playing.

Of course, had he won last night NZ would probably be playing someone different today!

Thanks Kevin :D I'm glad someone else always seems to work this sort of thing out for me :eek:

Kevin Bonham
01-10-2010, 06:17 PM
I think 1200 is a bit rough as a floor though!

It certainly is, especially when the median performance of an unrated player in this Olympiad is about 1900 in the Open and a bit below 1500 in the Women's. The problem here is that the ratings floor keeps being dropped by FIDE and the impact on the title regulations has not yet been noticed and properly addressed.

Oepty
01-10-2010, 06:42 PM
It certainly is, especially when the median performance of an unrated player in this Olympiad is about 1900 in the Open and a bit below 1500 in the Women's. The problem here is that the ratings floor keeps being dropped by FIDE and the impact on the title regulations has not yet been noticed and properly addressed.

Perhaps using the unrated performance rating if they achieve a rating block or the rating floor if they don't is the way to go. The rule would seem to effect smaller nations which have less FIDE rated tournaments and therefore more likely to have strong unrated players more than larger, stronger nations.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
I note that Steadman is actually playing the Belgium board 3 Polaczek (2385) as the Belgium board 1 is having a day off. I don't think it affects his norm chances.

Perhaps using the unrated performance rating if they achieve a rating block or the rating floor if they don't is the way to go.

Something like that might be the way to go but there would have to be some caution built in in case the unrated opponent played above their strength in such a small sample of games.

Tony Dowden
01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
;)
It's good to see both teams playing well above their seeding in the event so far (though the low ranking of the open team is partly due to the inclusion of the team captain's rating). If the open team weren't performing so well in general then possibly neither Mike or Bob would have met the required field to be considering norms at all. Eachen Chen seems to have recovered from a poor start in the women's team and Sue is doing well.:clap:

Bob and Mike have had stand-out perfs :clap: :clap:

I have to admit that I totally underestimated how well a retired and rejuvenated Bob Smith might play. He looked good in Auckland at 'The George' and he's looked good throughout this event - although I was a bit disappointed he didn't nail the win against his 2600 GM opponent from Austria (was it Markus Ragger?) But then you can't have everything from a player who is about as ancient as Botvinnik was when he lost his title to Petrosian ;)

Adamski
01-10-2010, 10:29 PM
;)

But then you can't have everything from a player who is about as ancient as Botvinnik was when he lost his title to Petrosian ;)That's a bit stiff re the evergreen Bob Smith, Tony? I guess I too must be a veteran now!!

Oepty
02-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Something like that might be the way to go but there would have to be some caution built in in case the unrated opponent played above their strength in such a small sample of games.

I guess one blunder by a much stronger player would inflate the performance of a unrated player by quite a lot when messuring only 3 games. Might be unfair.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
02-10-2010, 02:25 AM
On my calculations (this is rough so may be wrong) Steadman needs to play on board 1 and play and beat the UAE board 1 GM with black to get an IM norm now. I'm assuming this won't even be attempted.

Qbert
02-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Note Mike played 2 unrated players in rounds 2 & 9.
All unrated players are treated as being rated at the current rating floor which is 1200.
Only one player is permitted to be up lifted to 2050.

Ah, I mistook the reg
1.46d Unrated opponents not covered by 1.46c shall be considered to be rated at the rating floor level. See FIDE rating regulations for the current level of the floor.
to mean the adjusted rating floor of 2050. Thanks for spotting that Bill.

The lesson here is if you want a norm, beat all unrated players!:wall:

Qbert
02-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Amazingly the NZ open team are still leading group D by a clear point :clap:

Group D
1 92 NZL NZL New Zealand 10,0 152,0 19,0 95,0
2 105 LBA LBA Libya 9,0 156,5 19,5 86,0
3 91 ALG ALG Algeria 9,0 154,0 20,0 90,0
4 106 MLT MLT Malta 9,0 139,0 20,0 81,0
5 115 SRI SRI Sri Lanka 9,0 134,5 18,0 85,0
6 109 CYP CYP Cyprus 9,0 132,5 17,0 81,0
7 107 PAN PAN Panama 9,0 128,5 18,5 82,0
8 100 PUR PUR Puerto Rico 9,0 126,0 16,0 94,0
9 99 LIB LIB Lebanon 9,0 114,0 17,5 87,0
10 116 KOR KOR Korea 9,0 112,0 16,5 75,0
so a good result against UAE will guarantee 1st in the group. With no norm chances left that's something to root for!:)

the women have slipped to 5th in group D after a 4-0 drubbing by ICSC, but still equal 1st on match points, so are not out of the running if they score well vs Guatemala.

Group D
1 85 TJK TJK Tajikistan 9,0 152,5 19,5 86,0
2 77 GUA GUA Guatemala 9,0 149,0 20,0 88,0
3 90 ALG ALG Algeria 9,0 142,5 20,5 84,0
4 71 RSA RSA South Africa 9,0 137,0 21,0 84,0
5 72 NZL NZL New Zealand 9,0 137,0 18,0 90,0
6 84 IBC IBCA IBCA 9,0 136,5 19,0 86,0
7 86 PAR PAR Paraguay 9,0 123,5 19,0 84,0
8 73 EGY EGY Egypt 9,0 123,5 18,5 85,0
9 74 MAS MAS Malaysia 9,0 121,0 19,5 83,0
10 75 CHI CHI Chile 9,0 109,5 18,0 87,0

Qbert
02-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Actually Steadman was very close to a win against Polaczek

[Event "39th WCO"]
[Site "0:05.07-0:09.35"]
[Date "2010.10.01"]
[Round "10"]
[White "Polaczek, Richard"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[WhiteElo "2385"]
[BlackElo "2309"]
[WhiteTitle "IM"]
[WhiteCountry "BEL"]
[BlackTitle "FM"]
[BlackCountry "NZL"]
[Remark "Open Sect. M 30 B 2"]
[PresId "1001100302"]

1. d4 f5 2. g3 Nf6 3. Bg2 e6 4. c4 c6 5. Nh3 d6 6. O-O Be7 7. Nc3 O-O 8. e4
e5 9. exf5 exd4 10. Qxd4 Bxf5 11. Ng5 Na6 12. Bh3 Bxh3 13. Nxh3 Qd7 14. Kg2
Nb4 15. Rb1 Qf5 16. a3 Nd3 17. f3 d5 18. cxd5 Bc5 19. Qc4 cxd5 20. Qb3 Kh8
21. Bg5 Rae8 22. Rbd1 d4 [22... Ng4! {wins exchange due to dual threat of 23...Ne1+! and 23...Ngf2!} 23 Ng1 Qxg5 24 Rxd3 Ne3+] 23. Bxf6 Rxf6 24. Ne4 Rxe4 25. Qxd3 Re3 26. Qxf5
Rxf5 27. Nf4 Bb6 28. Nd3 Rf8 29. Rf2 Rc8 30. Rfd2 Ba5 31. Rf2 Kg8 32. f4
Bb6 33. Rfd2 Ba5 34. Rf2 Bb6
1/2-1/2

Tony Dowden
02-10-2010, 10:27 AM
That's a bit stiff re the evergreen Bob Smith, Tony? I guess I too must be a veteran now!!

You were a veteran some time ago Adamski ;)

Tony Dowden
02-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Actually Steadman was very close to a win against Polaczek

[Event "39th WCO"]
[Site "0:05.07-0:09.35"]
[Date "2010.10.01"]
[Round "10"]
[White "Polaczek, Richard"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[WhiteElo "2385"]
[BlackElo "2309"]
[WhiteTitle "IM"]
[WhiteCountry "BEL"]
[BlackTitle "FM"]
[BlackCountry "NZL"]
[Remark "Open Sect. M 30 B 2"]
[PresId "1001100302"]

1. d4 f5 2. g3 Nf6 3. Bg2 e6 4. c4 c6 5. Nh3 d6 6. O-O Be7 7. Nc3 O-O 8. e4
e5 9. exf5 exd4 10. Qxd4 Bxf5 11. Ng5 Na6 12. Bh3 Bxh3 13. Nxh3 Qd7 14. Kg2
Nb4 15. Rb1 Qf5 16. a3 Nd3 17. f3 d5 18. cxd5 Bc5 19. Qc4 cxd5 20. Qb3 Kh8
21. Bg5 Rae8 22. Rbd1 d4 [22... Ng4! {wins exchange due to dual threat of 23...Ne1+! and 23...Ngf2!} 23 Ng1 Qxg5 24 Rxd3 Ne3+] 23. Bxf6 Rxf6 24. Ne4 Rxe4 25. Qxd3 Re3 26. Qxf5
Rxf5 27. Nf4 Bb6 28. Nd3 Rf8 29. Rf2 Rc8 30. Rfd2 Ba5 31. Rf2 Kg8 32. f4
Bb6 33. Rfd2 Ba5 34. Rf2 Bb6
1/2-1/2

Interesting! I suppose Mike missed 22...Ng4! 23.fxg4 Re2+!! 24.Nxe2 Qe4+. Its also worth mentioning that White actually defended very nicely (like the strong IM he is) in the game continuation.

Does Mike still have a chance for a 9-game norm depending on what happens against UAE in the last round?

Kevin Bonham
02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Does Mike still have a chance for a 9-game norm depending on what happens against UAE in the last round?

For a 9-game norm he has to drop two wins and the average of his remaining opponents thus far (with the unrated opponent he drew with uplifted to 2050) is 2402. The target minimum for a 9-game norm with 5/9 is 2407 and the rest of the UAE team will drag his average down, so he has to play on board 1 and beat the UAE board 1 GM with black. If he does that then he has a 10-game norm anyway. As I noted above, it's unlikely NZ would rest their board 1 for the final round just to give their board 2 a remote shot at a norm.

Tony Dowden
02-10-2010, 01:49 PM
It's unlikely NZ would rest their board 1 for the final round just to give their board 2 a remote shot at a norm.
Actually, I don't see why they wouldn't do so. But who knows?

Qbert
03-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Well they didn't.;) But I can't seem to find out what the round 11 results were. Anyone know what happened?

I think this event demonstrates the potential benefit of having a full-strength team with a playing reserve. As Mike had nothing to gain from playing in round 9 against an unrated opponent (I think it was Bill who pointed out that when the rules are applied correctly, even a win would have been insufficient to gain a norm) he should have been allowed to stand down for that round to maximise his norm chances. That's not to criticise the decision to play - the NZ team was left with effectively only 4 players and emergency reserve going into the Olympiad (see Olympiad page (http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Olympiad2010/olympiad2010.html)).

Qbert
03-10-2010, 06:27 AM
But I can't seem to find out what the round 11 results were. Anyone know what happened?
Ah, I see today is a free day...:lol:

Tony Dowden
03-10-2010, 12:31 PM

I see Smith hasn't been rested so Steadman won't get another crack at an IM norm. But on the other hand by playing the top 4 boards NZ are in the better position to defend their lead in Group D.

Tony Dowden
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Ah, I see today is a free day...:lol:
Yep! ;)

CivicChessMan
13-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Bo. Name Rtg CUB MTN IRL AUT IRQ SCO PAN RSA KEN BEL UAE Pts. Games Rp w we w-we K rtg+/-
1 FM Smith Robert W 2282 0 1 0 ˝ ˝ 0 ˝ 1 1 0 0 4,5 11 2258 3,5 3,14 0,36 15 5,4
2 FM Steadman Mike 2309 0 1 1 0 ˝ ˝ 1 1 ˝ ˝ 0 6,0 11 2217 4,5 3,51 0,99 15 14,9
3 FM Croad Nicolas 2297 0 ˝ 1 0 0 1 ˝ 0 1 ˝ ˝ 5,0 11 2178 4,5 4,80 -0,30 15 -4,5
4 Han Daniel 2200 0 ˝ ˝ 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 5,0 11 1984 2,5 2,75 -0,25 15 -3,8

Bo. Name Rtg SLO PUR IRL EGY AUS JOR TKM BIH IBCA ICSC GUA Pts. Games Rp w we w-we K rtg+/-
1 WFM Milligan Helen 2033 0 ˝ ˝ 1 0 1 0 0 ˝ 0 0 3,5 11 1925 3 3,63 -0,63 15 -9,4
2 WIM Maroroa Sue 1981 ˝ ˝ 1 1 1 ˝ ˝ ˝ ˝ 6,0 9 2052 5 3,67 1,33 15 20,0
3 WCM Chen Eachen 1966 0 0 1 0 ˝ 0 1 ˝ 1 0 0 4,0 11 1802 3 4,91 -1,91 15 -28,6
4 WFM Fairley Natasha 1777 ˝ 0 1 ˝ ˝ 1 ˝ 0 ˝ 0 ˝ 5,0 11 1757 2,5 1,96 0,54 15 8,1
5 WFM Smith Vivian J 1827 ˝ 0 0,5 2 0 0,5 0,82 -0,32 15 -4,8

Open team won against Mauritania (146), Ireland (75), Panama (107), Kenya (133), drew with Iraq (76) and South Africa (81). Ranked 92nd, NZ finished 85th= on 10 points and 91st on tiebreak.

Women's team won against Ireland (108), Egypt (73), Jordan (79), IBCA (84) and drew with Turkmenistan (44). Ranked 72nd, NZ finished 66th= on 9 points and 82nd on tiebreak.

Adamski
13-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Great to see both NZ teams finished higher than their seeding.:clap:

Kevin Bonham
13-10-2010, 09:37 PM
The performance ratings given there are calculated using batched formulae that don't give a real impression of quality of play.

These were the "true performance ratings" for the NZ players (current rating first, TPR to the right of it):

NZL 1 f Smith Robert W 47 2282 4˝ 11 2324 82
NZL 2 f Steadman Michael 2309 6 11 2373 81
NZL 3 f Croad Nicolas 2297 5 11 2254 75
NZL 4 Han Daniel 2200 5 11 2219 79

NZL 1 wf Milligan Helen 48 2033 3˝ 11 1954 99
NZL 2 wm Maroroa Sue 19 1981 6 9 2119 117
NZL 3 wc Chen Eachen 19 1966 4 11 1824 90
NZL 4 wf Fairley Natasha 1777 5 11 1858 96
NZL 5 wf Smith Vivian J 1827 ˝ 2 1698

This suggests that the NZ Open team members performed an average of 20 points above their rating, while the NZ Women's team performed roughly to their ratings with a very strong performance by Sue Mararoa.

CivicChessMan
14-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Sue has forged ahead with leaps and bounds. Wonder if Gawain Jones has helped there :clap:

MichaelBaron
08-11-2020, 09:25 AM

Just confirming if Lev Aptekar is still alive. Does anyone have updated info? His fairly recent photo appeared on the Jewish Chess Encyclopedia page and the question came up?