PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of swear work-arounds

Basil
30-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Is it permitted to type f&*# or f---ing? There is mention in the board rules of avoiding the word censor. I'd appreciate clarification.

Thanks

Kevin Bonham
31-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Usually I will give the benefit of the doubt if I think the poster has genuinely and seriously toned the expression down (as many would choose to do even without the filter) as opposed to just toning it down to the minimalist degree required to technically avoid the filter. AC's version (first and last letter with two dots in between) was in the latter department.

Less slack will be cut for any forms of these expressions in cases where the altered word is used in an actually sexual context or abusively towards another poster.

We're also pretty lenient on the Jokes thread, otherwise it would be empty.

If in doubt, best to put it in the Coffee Lounge or find another way to say it.

Basil
31-12-2009, 03:29 AM
Thanks. Will try and tone down further in 10!

Santa
05-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Usually I will give the benefit of the doubt if I think the poster has genuinely and seriously toned the expression down (as many would choose to do even without the filter) as opposed to just toning it down to the minimalist degree required to technically avoid the filter. AC's version (first and last letter with two dots in between) was in the latter department.

Less slack will be cut for any forms of these expressions in cases where the altered word is used in an actually sexual context or abusively towards another poster.

We're also pretty lenient on the Jokes thread, otherwise it would be empty.

If in doubt, best to put it in the Coffee Lounge or find another way to say it.

I think it was in Town Like Alice, by Nevil Shute that the initial letter all the expletives was changed to "m."

muck, mugger and the like don't sound nearly so bad.

Kevin Bonham
06-01-2010, 12:40 AM
I think it was in Town Like Alice, by Nevil Shute that the initial letter all the expletives was changed to "m."

muck, mugger and the like don't sound nearly so bad.

An in-joke in certain Tassie chess-related circles some time ago replaced all expletives with the word "walrus". Made for some very bizarre imagery.