PDA

View Full Version : IMs at Zonals

BearDrinkingBeer
25-12-2009, 04:48 PM
According to the FIDE website (http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?view=article&id=58), IM titles are given to players that come "1st, up to 3 players" where 1st refers to "shared first place".

I was under the impression that the title was given out to the highest placing player that isn't already an IM. Is this correct?

The website also states that "≥ 9 games ≥ 66 2/3%" earns you an IM title (where only 1 can be awarded per zonal under this condition). I have never heard of this rule, is it a new one? And is it separate from the "1st, up to 3 players" clause?

Mischa
25-12-2009, 09:29 PM
what is your point?

Bill Gletsos
25-12-2009, 10:07 PM
According to the FIDE website (http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?view=article&id=58), IM titles are given to players that come "1st, up to 3 players" where 1st refers to "shared first place".This has been in place for years.

I was under the impression that the title was given out to the highest placing player that isn't already an IM. Is this correct?This is incorrect.

The website also states that "≥ 9 games ≥ 66 2/3%" earns you an IM title (where only 1 can be awarded per zonal under this condition). I have never heard of this rule, is it a new one?No its been around for ages. However prior to the 1st July 2009 all players who met the percentage score got the IM title unless the event was an Open Swiss (like the Oceania Zonals) in which case it was limited to only one player.

And is it separate from the "1st, up to 3 players" clause?Yes.

Bill Gletsos
25-12-2009, 10:08 PM
what is your point?It seems fairly obvious to me.

Tony Dowden
26-12-2009, 10:23 AM
This has been in place for years.
This is incorrect.
No its been around for ages. However prior to the 1st July 2009 all players who met the percentage score got the IM title unless the event was an Open Swiss (like the Oceania Zonals) in which case it was limited to only one player.
Yes.

Yes, its been around for ages - but, to further clarify Bill's point, the rules vary somewhat depending on whether its a Round Robin or a Swiss event.

But aside from this, I'd like to know why James Morris (IM elect), Bobby Cheng (FM elect) and Mike Steadman (FM elect) haven't been awarded their titles yet. Is there a hold-up? And if so, is it at the Australian end or the FIDE end?

Rhubarb
26-12-2009, 10:56 AM
But aside from this, I'd like to know why James Morris (IM elect), Bobby Cheng (FM elect) and Mike Steadman (FM elect) haven't been awarded their titles yet. Is there a hold-up? And if so, is it at the Australian end or the FIDE end?
We're trying to get this sorted before January 1. If I fail to do this I might resign the titles side of my FIDE admin duties.
Regards,
Greg Canfell

Tony Dowden
26-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the update Greg.

Er, although I suppose it sounded like I was trying to hassle someone - I honestly wasn't! Having been a sometime chess adminstrator I know its essential for everyone to be patient ...

Bill Gletsos
26-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Yes, its been around for ages - but, to further clarify Bill's point, the rules vary somewhat depending on whether its a Round Robin or a Swiss event.Actually the difference in the rules is not so much between Round Robins and Swiss events but whether the event is an Open Swiss as opposed to a Closed Swiss.

BearDrinkingBeer
27-12-2009, 04:37 PM
This has been in place for years.

This is incorrect.

No its been around for ages. However prior to the 1st July 2009 all players who met the percentage score got the IM title unless the event was an Open Swiss (like the Oceania Zonals) in which case it was limited to only one player.

Yes.
Thanks for the explanations.

Tony Dowden
28-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Actually the difference in the rules is not so much between Round Robins and Swiss events but whether the event is an Open Swiss as opposed to a Closed Swiss.

Yes, Bill you are right - as you very often are! Your explanaitin is more precise than mine in that I saw RR and Swiss as amounting to the same as the above (as Open and Closed Swisses) but I suppose might not always be so!