PDA

View Full Version : Rating games played via an internet connection

Carl Gorka
21-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Would it be possible to rate games that were played via an internet connection?

Would the ACF rate games played this way, and if so what requirements would need to be observed to establish the integrity of the game?

And how about FIDE?

If the answer to the above questions is yes, then the MCC are interested in organising tournaments where some of the players are from interstate locations.

Garvinator
21-12-2009, 10:35 PM

Would the ACF rate games played this way, and if so what requirements would need to be observed to establish the integrity of the game?

And how about FIDE?

If the answer to the above questions is yes, then the MCC are interested in organising tournaments where some of the players are from interstate locations.
Can not answer most of this as it is administrative, but a few months ago a few players from Melbourne played in the South African Open via the internet. They played from a central location on dgt boards (I think), while all the rest of the participants played in the tournament hall.

All games were fide rated and Gary Bekker was the arbiter from the Australian end.

http://blog.chesscube.com/news-release-world-first-sa-chess-open-includes-internet-play/

Carl Gorka
21-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Can not answer most of this as it is administrative, but a few months ago a few players from Melbourne played in the South African Open via the internet. They played from a central location on dgt boards (I think), while all the rest of the participants played in the tournament hall.

All games were fide rated and Gary Bekker was the arbiter from the Australian end.

http://blog.chesscube.com/news-release-world-first-sa-chess-open-includes-internet-play/

I was aware of this tournament, and it was in my mind when I thought about the idea. I'll be trying to talk to Gary Bekker in the near future, but some idea of whether the ACF would rate an event with some games played via an internet connection would be a good start which was why I started this thread.

Garvinator
21-12-2009, 10:43 PM

I was aware of this tournament, and it was in my mind when I thought about the idea. I'll be trying to talk to Gary Bekker in the near future, but some idea of whether the ACF would rate an event with some games played via an internet connection would be a good start which was why I started this thread.
On a question like that I think you are very unlikely to get an answer on here. You would need to prepare a submission for consideration and send it directly to the ACF, rather than discussing it here.

You will probably get general comments though from posters ;)

Carl Gorka
21-12-2009, 10:47 PM
On a question like that I think you are very unlikely to get an answer on here. You would need to prepare a submission for consideration and send it directly to the ACF, rather than discussing it here.

You will probably get general comments though from posters ;)

Exactly. I am preparing something but looking for a few helpful hints.:lol:

Bill Gletsos
21-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Would it be possible to rate games that were played via an internet connection?Yes.

Would the ACF rate games played this way, and if so what requirements would need to be observed to establish the integrity of the game?You would need an arbiter at each remote location and most likely an arbiter at the main venue specifically responsible for monitoring the remote games.

Carl Gorka
21-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Yes.
You would need an arbiter at each remote location and most likely an arbiter at the main venue specifically responsible for monitoring the remote games.

Thanks for that. I was intending to get a full proposal and pass it to Leonid Sandler to approve from CV pov, and then pass to ACF for approval. Would this be the right protocal or should I deal directly with the ACF?

Thanks

Garvinator
21-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for that. I was intending to get a full proposal and pass it to Leonid Sandler to approve from CV pov, and then pass to ACF for approval. Would this be the right protocal or should I deal directly with the ACF?

Thanks
The more state approvals you get the better ;)

Carl Gorka
21-12-2009, 11:43 PM
The more state approvals you get the better ;)

True, interstate games won't be much fun without interstaters allowed to play.

MichaelBaron
23-12-2009, 05:28 PM
It should definitely be possible...as i can recall a Fide Rated Even (SA Open) being run via Internet earlier on this year with an Australian (IM Rujevic) taking part

Personally, I would love to play in such events

Brian_Jones
24-12-2009, 08:30 AM
It should definitely be possible...as i can recall a Fide Rated Even (SA Open) being run via Internet earlier on this year with an Australian (IM Rujevic) taking part

Personally, I would love to play in such events

Then you wouldn't even have to get out of bed. :(

MichaelBaron
24-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Then you wouldn't even have to get out of bed. :(

As long as I manage to bring an arbiter to my bed :lol:

shan_siddiqi
27-12-2009, 04:46 PM
The US Chess Federation allows you to play official rapid-rated games online at one of two weekly tournaments on World Chess Live (www.worldchesslive.com). They even use those online tournaments as qualifiers for the rapid section of the Miami Open, and I think the top couple of online players get some sort of travel subsidy.

If the USCF can do it, then I'm sure the ACF can too - somebody would just have to look to see how they work out the logistics.

CameronD
27-12-2009, 08:55 PM
The US Chess Federation allows you to play official rapid-rated games online at one of two weekly tournaments on World Chess Live (www.worldchesslive.com). They even use those online tournaments as qualifiers for the rapid section of the Miami Open, and I think the top couple of online players get some sort of travel subsidy.

If the USCF can do it, then I'm sure the ACF can too - somebody would just have to look to see how they work out the logistics.

These tournaments are just revenue raising for USCF and ICC. ICC have qualifiers for some significant events.

Im sure if it was normal ratings it would be a different matter.

Even I dont think I could resist cheating if the ACF brought in unsupervised normal event rated online like the USCF does online. Its to simple to use a second computer with fritz to blunder check your moves more than make your moves, and throw the odd game to throw people off your scent.

Garvinator
27-12-2009, 10:40 PM
These tournaments are just revenue raising for USCF and ICC. ICC have qualifiers for some significant events.

Im sure if it was normal ratings it would be a different matter.

Even I dont think I could resist cheating if the ACF brought in unsupervised normal event rated online like the USCF does online. Its to simple to use a second computer with fritz to blunder check your moves more than make your moves, and throw the odd game to throw people off your scent.
Even more of an issue is the paranoia that someone can cheat, or has cheated (after the event). Hence why for the games to be rated, they would have to be played in the presence of an arbiter who can sign off that the games were legit.

Also the off site games should probably be held in a tournament hall of similar, so the playing conditions are similar to those in the main tournament hall.

shan_siddiqi
28-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I was surprised when I first found out about the USCF tournaments too, but I've played in several of them with no temptation to cheat. On the other hand, I can see how somebody would want to cheat if it was a regular rating, since that rating can help you get a title or, in some cases, a scholarship.

But yeah, if they could hold it in a controlled environment, it seems reasonable... similar to what they do for a lot of the standardized exams these days.

Desmond
28-12-2009, 06:55 PM
These tournaments are just revenue raising for USCF and ICC. ICC have qualifiers for some significant events. Yeah the cheek of some tournament organisers; run chess events for people to play in and not run them at a loss. Surely this must be stopped!

CameronD
28-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah the cheek of some tournament organisers; run chess events for people to play in and not run them at a loss. Surely this must be stopped!

If people are stupid enough to pay thats their concern. But their are hugrapid tournamente amounts of free s on these servers.

Santa
04-01-2010, 02:47 AM

And how about FIDE?

In the past the ACF rated games, played to the usual rules, where the moves were transferred by telephone.

A teller for each player made moves on the board and operated the clock for the player, and took the scoresheet to be read over the phone, and returned it when the move was received.

A similar process occurred when Ausralia won the world telechess championship, I was a teller in Melbourne.

Each player had a teller who had to type the moves into the terminal and send them off to Singapore, Ireland and the Soviet Union in the three matches we played.

OTC (now part of Optus) provided the communications facilities.

Australia had players in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane I think (Solo) and (at least once) London.

Peter Parr can explain how we beat the Soviet Union.

Bill Gletsos
04-01-2010, 09:38 PM
In the past the ACF rated games, played to the usual rules, where the moves were transferred by telephone.I believe the ACF rated only the interstate team matches between states and never rated events involving individuals playing in weekenders or weeknight tournaments.