PDA

View Full Version : The Book For You

bob
03-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Hello all yal beginners out there. So you are deciding to start chess. If you like chess and are looking to excel in the game you will need some books to look over and to challenge yourself. I will give some suggestions on books and a way to get a good opening book for you. To get the right opening book you will need to figuer out what opening you see yourself using the most. My favorite opening is kings pawn, so i would get some books on kings pawn opening.(ex. Ruey Lopez) Also get some books on how to defened that opening. then you will know the ups and downs of that opening.

also there are great books on middle and end game play too.
i will suggest a couple of books to you

Mammoth book of chess
logical chess move by move

those are in algibraic notation(the easy one to read)
there is one more i would like to suggest but it is in descriptive notation
(the hard one)
but if you know it this book will be an asset

The Art of the Middle Game

good luck with it and keep it up !!!

Gandalf
03-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Books are very useful references for chess players. However, it is my opinion that the plight of the beginner isn't the establishment of tactic (eg preferred openings) but rather the development of forethought. That is, "growing" the habit of thinking a few moves ahead. This is arguably the most important skill in chess, and the hardest to master.

enak
03-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Can you get me discounts at Kinokuniya? :D

Gandalf
03-10-2003, 11:56 PM
I actually applied for a job there. Haven't heard back yet :(

If you buy $20 or more worth of stuff in one hit they'll give you a member card. It'll get you 10% off almost everything in the store, which is pretty good. If they don't hand you the card ask for it.

Choco
04-10-2003, 12:47 AM
what is that place? a book store?

Gandalf
04-10-2003, 01:09 AM
[sigh] Yes. Kinokuniya is the greatest bookstore in Australia. It is the first Australian branch of the major Japanese chain. Located in The Galleries Victoria, Sydney (across George St from the QVB). It has its own Japanese and Chinese sections, but it is also very good for most other subjects. The games section includes a few shelves of chess books, more than your average bookstore. Their pricing is retail standard, but everything else about them screams excellence.

SoFTuaRiaL™
04-10-2003, 08:43 AM
never heard of it ... the only bk stores i know are dymocks n wh-smith .... which shows how "into books" i am ... :rolleyes:

vosinn
04-10-2003, 10:28 AM
I think a good beginner book is: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess, it includes 50 deadly checkmates.

http://ryan.chesskit.com/book1.jpg

Gandalf
04-10-2003, 10:45 AM
never heard of it ... the only bk stores i know are dymocks n wh-smith .... which shows how "into books" i am ... :rolleyes:Pfft what about the co-op Viggy?