PDA

View Full Version : DGT XL clocks

Garvinator
14-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Is this the dgt xl clock able to be used in tournaments in australia. Basically is it considered an 'official' clock?

Bill Gletsos
14-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Is this the dgt xl clock able to be used in tournaments in australia. Basically is it considered an 'official' clock?
I dont see any reason why it would not be allowed as long as it can provide the required time limit.
As far as I know I dont believe there is such a thing as an "official" clock in Australia.

Alan Shore
14-08-2004, 08:12 PM
I dont see any reason why it would not be allowed as long as it can provide the required time limit.
As far as I know I dont believe there is such a thing as an "official" clock in Australia.

Wow, so we can go back to using eggtimers and hourglasses? :D

Garvinator
14-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Wow, so we can go back to using eggtimers and hourglasses? :D
well you can play a game of chess with a time control called hourglass :D

Alan Shore
14-08-2004, 08:17 PM
well you can play a game of chess with a time control called hourglass :D

Yeah I know, playing 10 second hourglass isn't as fun as it looks though, hehe.

Brian_Jones
15-08-2004, 09:41 AM
I have a copy of a letter, which says

"Dear Sirs,

Herewith I confirm that the chess timers “DGT 2000” and “DGT XL” completely meet the FIDE standards for electronic chess clocks.

Up to now the above mentioned clocks are the only one recognized by FIDE Technical Commission.

Werner Stubenvoll
Chairman of FIDE Technical Commission"

You can buy both clocks at www.chessaustralia.co.au

Bill Gletsos
15-08-2004, 11:57 AM
I have a copy of a letter, which says

"Dear Sirs,

Herewith I confirm that the chess timers “DGT 2000” and “DGT XL” completely meet the FIDE standards for electronic chess clocks.

Up to now the above mentioned clocks are the only one recognized by FIDE Technical Commission.

Werner Stubenvoll
Chairman of FIDE Technical Commission"

You can buy both clocks at www.chessaustralia.co.au
I was aware that those DGT clocks were officially recognised by FIDE.
I'm also lead to believe that the DGT TopMatch clock is also since it has been used at all recent world championships and Olympiads.

I did not however take gg's question to relate to official FIDE clocks.
After all there are a lot of analog clocks in use with no official FIDE recognition.

Brian_Jones
15-08-2004, 01:52 PM
The DGT Topmatch, like the DGT 2000 Plus, is now discontinued (though I still have a few for sale at heavily discounted prices). For DGT boards we should all be using the DGT XL, which has useful features such as telling you what setting you are on! FIDE now use DGT XL wherever possible but old habits die hard in Australian chess!

Bill Gletsos
15-08-2004, 02:48 PM
The DGT Topmatch, like the DGT 2000 Plus, is now discontinued (though I still have a few for sale at heavily discounted prices).
Yes, the DGT XL replaced those models.
[QUOTE=Brian_Jones]For DGT boards we should all be using the DGT XL, which has useful features such as telling you what setting you are on! FIDE now use DGT XL wherever possible but old habits die hard in Australian chess!
Yes, well remember that fool Sweeney was calling for the ACF to ban the DGT XL clocks.

PHAT
15-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Yes, well remember that fool Sweeney was calling for the ACF to ban the DGT XL clocks.

That was then, this is now. I still think the XLs should not be bought until every 2000 moddle has been sold. Buying XLs is a waste of scarce resources.

Garvinator
15-08-2004, 04:45 PM
The DGT Topmatch, like the DGT 2000 Plus, is now discontinued (though I still have a few for sale at heavily discounted prices).
how much??

Garvinator
17-08-2004, 10:46 AM
how much??
just repeating, how much?

ursogr8
17-08-2004, 11:06 AM
just repeating, how much?

Perhaps it is on a NTK or POA basis

starter

* ps
POA=price on application
NTK=need to know.*

Bill Gletsos
17-08-2004, 11:23 AM
That was then, this is now. I still think the XLs should not be bought until every 2000 moddle has been sold. Buying XLs is a waste of scarce resources.
The point was you dope that no one was forcing people to by the XL's.

Brian_Jones
18-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Sorry for the delayed reply Garvin but I had to go to DOP a chess comp yesterday! If you care to call me on 02-9838-1529 I will tell you how much!

arosar
31-03-2005, 02:33 PM
I can't believe that we have a thread on just about everything now!

Anyway, during the Doeberl, Mr Press made some announcement about some bug in the DGT XLs. That basically it reverted back to zero or something rather. So it's basically buggy. Can we have more info on that please as I am about to upgrade.

I actually find this odd since the FIDE Commish that oversees these things have apparently endorsed these clocks.

Cheers,

AR

shaun
31-03-2005, 02:38 PM

Anyway, during the Doeberl, Mr Press made some announcement about some bug in the DGT XLs. That basically it reverted back to zero or something rather. So it's basically buggy. Can we have more info on that please as I am about to upgrade.

I actually find this odd since the FIDE Commish that oversees these things have apparently endorsed these clocks.

Cheers,

AR

The first batch released did have a bug in them, which meant that they would drop to 0:00 at random times on setting 12 (90m+30s). We were aware of this and tried to make sure that we manually set the time limits (rather than the buggy preset time) but either we missed the odd one or helpful players set their own. Replacement bug free units are now available, but check which kind you buy.

Bill Gletsos
31-03-2005, 02:46 PM

Cheers,

ARThere were problems with the originally released DGT XL's. They were the version 1.4 of the clock. DGT and their distributors would replace them free of charge for the DGT XL 1.10 model. This exchange ended on July 31st 2004 according to the dgt website.

According to the DGT website the problems were in DGT XL 1.4 models serial numbers 27671-28500.

The DGT website currently lists no problems for the 1.10 model, although it is likely some exist.

Perhaps Shaun can enlighten us as to any problems found with these clocks during there use at Doeberl.

shaun
31-03-2005, 02:49 PM
There were problems with the originally released DGT XL's. They were the version 1.4 of the clock. DGT and their distributors would replace them free of charge for the DGT XL 1.10 model. This exchange ended on July 31st 2004 according to the dgt website.

According to the DGT website the problems were in DGT XL 1.4 models serial numbers 27671-28500.

The DGT website currently lists no problems for the 1.10 model, although it is likely some exist.

Perhaps Shaun can enlighten us as to any problems found with these clocks during there use at Doeberl.

The clocks were only used in the Premier and there were 3 (maybe 4) incidents where the clocks dropped to zero. While I would like to say we identified the circumstances concerning each incident (eg whether it was preset to 12 or not) I in all honestly cannot.
However none of the incidents caused cricitcal problems and the games continued after the times were reset by an arbiter.

arosar
31-03-2005, 03:19 PM
There were problems with the originally released DGT XL's. They were the version 1.4 of the clock. DGT and their distributors would replace them free of charge for the DGT XL 1.10 model. This exchange ended on July 31st 2004 according to the dgt website.

Yeah thanks Bill.

Say, as I was researching this on the DGT site, I chanced upon an instruction on how to run a multiple board display using e-bards and TOMA. So it seems, there's a manual already. With diagrams too! Fancy that.

AR

Bill Gletsos
31-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Yeah thanks Bill.No probs Amiel.

Say, as I was researching this on the DGT site, I chanced upon an instruction on how to run a multiple board display using e-bards and TOMA. So it seems, there's a manual already. With diagrams too! Fancy that.Yeah how amazing. ;)

Brian_Jones
31-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Gee, all this information on the DGT website. Maybe there are people out there (other than Garvin) who know how these DGT boards and clocks work!

Recherché
31-03-2005, 06:38 PM
FIDE now use DGT XL wherever possible but old habits die hard in Australian chess!

This is an old post to be replying to, but since the thread has been bumped anyway:

Digital clocks are expensive, especially when they're the latest model. Chess organisations are poor. Therefore it doesn't make sense to replace perfectly good (digital) clocks with newer models. Similarly, it doesn't necessarily make sense to buy the newest model if cheaper models are available and the clocks aren't needed for broadcasting (which, aside from some "convenience" features, seems to be the main difference between the XLs and the previous models).

auriga
31-03-2005, 06:54 PM
This is an old post to be replying to, but since the thread has been bumped anyway:

Digital clocks are expensive, especially when they're the latest model. Chess organisations are poor. Therefore it doesn't make sense to replace perfectly good (digital) clocks with newer models. Similarly, it doesn't necessarily make sense to buy the newest model if cheaper models are available and the clocks aren't needed for broadcasting (which, aside from some "convenience" features, seems to be the main difference between the XLs and the previous models).

the dgt xl are better compared to standard dgt in a few ways: sturdier made, fewer batteries needed (2 rather than 4), are programmable, stored settings, improved visuals, more intuitive to set, output interface to electronic board, etc.

it's like comparing office 97 with office 2003. 97 maybe a little cheaper short-term but after 1 or 2 years you'd wish you had made a better long-term decision. ok, maybe the office comparison is not a good one :D

Recherché
31-03-2005, 07:03 PM
the dgt xl are better compared to standard dgt in a few ways: sturdier made, fewer batteries needed (2 rather than 4), are programmable, stored settings, improved visuals, more intuitive to set, output interface to electronic board, etc.

it's like comparing office 97 with office 2003. 97 maybe a little cheaper short-term but after 1 or 2 years you'd wish you had made a better long-term decision. ok, maybe the office comparison is not a good one :D

Yes, I understand, but having used the older sort of clocks at Box Hill, I know they're reliable and more than up to the job.

It uses fewer batteries, but does it use less power, or just drain them twice as fast? What sort of batteries do these things take, anyway?

auriga
31-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes, I understand, but having used the older sort of clocks at Box Hill, I know they're reliable and more than up to the job.

It uses fewer batteries, but does it use less power, or just drain them twice as fast? What sort of batteries do these things take, anyway?

they don't draw much power.
i can't remember but the old clock ran maybe 1,000+ hours on 4 x AAA batteries. i would assume (but haven't seen verified) that they would meet same spec but on 2 x AAA instead.
(if it didn't it wouldn't be such as improved clock!)

also with fewer batteries changing is them easier.
eg. chess assocation buys 100 clocks. if may want to store 50 for reserve and keep batteries out. the old dgt are a pain to replace the batterie (ie. need screwdriver). new dgt, flip the back and pop two batteries in - much easier. :cool:

ursogr8
31-03-2005, 08:12 PM
i can't remember but the old clock ran maybe 1,000+ hours on 4 x AAA batteries. i would assume (but haven't seen verified) that they would meet same spec but on 2 x AAA instead.

eg. chess assocation buys 100 clocks. if may want to store 50 for reserve and keep batteries out. the old dgt are a pain to replace the batterie (ie. need screwdriver). new dgt, flip the back and pop two batteries in - much easier. :cool:

I have a spreadsheet of the history of all 66 clocks purchased by Box Hill (the first group around the time of Churchill Junior).

Most clocks are in use 2 to 3 days per week. None lie fallow.
More than 50% are on the original set of AA's.

The worst clock for batteries is #44 in our set. It has had a complete battery change 9 times.

Any battery that leaks causes corrosion on the contacts on the battery cradle. This eventually leads to rapid run-down of each new battery set in that clock. It is better to replace the cradle straight away at the first sign of corrosion.

Changing the batteries is not a problem if you can remember which way screws turn in the southern hemisphere. :P

About 2 terminally kark it each year. They get cannabalised for bits.

starter

Denis_Jessop
01-04-2005, 01:07 AM

Just a minor point of correction. Both clocks run on AA not AAA batteries (AAs are cheaper). At Canberra Chess Club we had trouble with the battery holders being too fragile. Also the XL doesn't require a scewdriver to change the batteries. But these are all minor concerns. If a club already has the earlier model there is not much point in changing to the new one until the old ones pack up as the old ones are well capable of doing the job of timing club games. The new one certainly is better for convenience and appearance and probably better made.

DJ

jenni
22-04-2005, 02:09 PM
I recently purchased 5 new clocks for BCC and I went with the old model , purely based on price. Also the kids tend to be very hard on them, particularly when playing Lightning, so it was silly to go for the much more expensive clock.

I did purchase one of the new ones for our own use and I have to admit I am a total fan. I found it wonderful not to have to go scratching for a Phillips head screwdriver in order to change the batteries and you don't have to lever out that plastic insert, always worrying that you are going to tear out the dangling wires.

Incidentally I managed to resurrect some of the dead BCC digitals recently by buying new plastic inserts from Dick Smith for a few dollars. (Tip from Brian).

Garvinator
22-04-2005, 02:12 PM
I did purchase one of the new ones for our own use and I have to admit I am a total fan. I found it wonderful not to have to go scratching for a Phillips head screwdriver in order to change the batteries and you don't have to lever out that plastic insert, always worrying that you are going to tear out the dangling wires.
also i am a fan of the memory and go back feature :D The memory feature allows you to store your own pre programmed time controls. The go back feature is a button that allows you to go back(who would have thought ;) ) if you go one number too far when setting time controls manually.

Recherché
23-04-2005, 04:05 PM
I recently purchased 5 new clocks for BCC

What are the canberrans doing buying us chess clocks? ;)

That got me to wondering just how many BCCs there are out there. Probably quite a few. MCCs are probably even more common, even if you just restrict the search to the world of chess.

jenni
23-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Ah but you should probably be BHCC :)

Thunderspirit
23-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Gee, all this information on the DGT website. Maybe there are people out there (other than Garvin) who know how these DGT boards and clocks work!

BJ, BJ- very disapointed in you... You should know that Gillian and Gary Bekker are the only two people in who can use these boards... What would you know, you ran a profitable Australian Open! ;) :cool: :P :clap: :whistle: