PDA

View Full Version : Aus Ch'ship for Aus players only

rob
13-08-2004, 03:41 PM
I consider that a tournament with the title 'Australian Chess Championship' should feature as many Australian players (particularly top rated) as can be attracted, but not non-Australian players.

There should also, at another time of year (different season), be another tourney in Australia (such as Australian International Championship) that tries to attract highly rated overseas players to compete with our top players.

I know that it is extremely unlikely that something like this will happen (tell him he's dreaming - The Castle), just my humble belief of what feels right.

I expect many ppl to disagree with me, but I would be interested in the reasons.

shaun
13-08-2004, 03:56 PM
I think it is a fabulous idea, but here's the catch. You find the sponsors, you get the players, you organise the event :)

Recherché
14-08-2004, 03:33 PM
The typical procedure for such tournaments (which goes for State Championships and Club Championships as well) seems to be that "outside" players are allowed to enter and participate, but are only eligible for prize money, and not the title.

I think it's a pretty workable compromise. It helps prevent the field stagnating as well.

The idea of an International Championship that seeks to attract overseas players is nice, but expensive. Australia is a remote place, especially when compared with the proximity of many countries in Europe. The organisers would likely have to pay air fares for the international players.

pax
18-08-2004, 09:44 AM
I consider that a tournament with the title 'Australian Chess Championship' should feature as many Australian players (particularly top rated) as can be attracted, but not non-Australian players.

There should also, at another time of year (different season), be another tourney in Australia (such as Australian International Championship) that tries to attract highly rated overseas players to compete with our top players.

Hi Rob,

The system as it exists is pretty close to your suggestion. The 'Australian Chess Championship' takes place every other year and is generally a closed event limited to Australian entries. The Australian open fills the alternate years, and is open to overseas players.

The only difference from your suggestion is that it is currently a two year cycle rather than one year. The main problem as Shaun says is the lack of organisational will and ability to do these things twice as often. You may also struggle to get some of the top players out to two such events in one year given that most of them have real jobs too!

Jon

Kerry Stead
18-08-2004, 02:57 PM

I know that it is extremely unlikely that something like this will happen (tell him he's dreaming - The Castle), just my humble belief of what feels right.

I expect many ppl to disagree with me, but I would be interested in the reasons.

Is there already a mini-championship already contested? Its called the Doeberl Cup. Occasionally you get a foreigner or two playing there, but typically it gets a lot of the top players in the country playing, and has an established status and reputation ... yes, its 7 games over 4 days, but you can't have everything!

Paul S
18-08-2004, 03:18 PM
The only difference from your suggestion is that it is currently a two year cycle rather than one year. The main problem as Shaun says is the lack of organisational will and ability to do these things twice as often.

The lack of people actually doing the organising/admin work is the biggest problem in Australian chess!

You may also struggle to get some of the top players out to two such events in one year given that most of them have real jobs too!

At present the Australian Championships/Open effectively run over 2 weeks (11 rounds with one round per day plus a rest day or two).

So, why not have two rounds per day and no rest days? After all, chess players go these events to play chess, not to twiddle their thumbs! Make a slight reduction in time limits if need be (90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move seems to work fine for the Doeberl, which has 2 rounds per day).

This would mean that there could be two tournaments per year (Open and Championships) which take up the same amout of time (ie effectively 2 x 1 week as opposed to 1 x 2 weeks at present).

More importantly, this would mean that players could save money on accommodation, especially at remote places like Mt Buller where unlike a major city one is unable to have the option of staying with friends/relatives. I reckon some people would probably go to Mt Buller if it was just one week as opposed to two weeks due to accommodation (cost) concerns.

Also, you could have in the same year, say the Open in Sydney and the Championships in Melbourne, which would increase the overall number of participants (eg some Sydney/Melbourne players could play in the Championship/Open if it was in their home city over a 1 week period). With Australia's major centres a long distance from each other, the more "spreading around" of major events, the better!

eclectic
18-08-2004, 08:49 PM
So, why not have two rounds per day and no rest days? After all, chess players go these events to play chess, not to twiddle their thumbs! Make a slight reduction in time limits if need be (90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move seems to work fine for the Doeberl, which has 2 rounds per day).

personally i would find two rounds a day exhausting

why this desire to make top level players hurry up so that operational costs are reduced?

ok if you want two games per day and the championships each year why not just have an australian championship* qualifier (for the following year) in the morning ie from 10am and the championship proper from 5pm?

* no open major or minor and all rating prizes within the one qualifier event

my idea here is that then qualifier players could take an interest in championship games and championship players in qualifier games without losing concentration on their own due to their being in different sessions

foreign players could either play in the qualifier and/or be garnered(?) to play in a later scheduled fide norm event with the best championship finishers. indeed if the offer of paying the airfares for top level players to come out is standard practice then their competing in such an fide norm event should be obligatory.

i don't like the idea that foreigners can enter to only win the prize money but not the title

if i was in a championship i'd like to win the event to deserve the title ... it would seem an empty accolade if three foreigners took the first three places with the top (fourth place) australian being then dubbed australian champion

however i presume perhaps that the trophy engravers etc make a distinction between "australian champion" and "winner of the australian championship"

as for time controls is 90 30 really enjoyed at top? level events like the fide wc ko ?
perhaps ok for the qualifier but i would rather 120 30 or even 150 30 for the championship

eclectic

Garvinator
18-08-2004, 09:13 PM
90 60 will be used for the australian open. The classical chess championship finals will use the 40 move time controls. I dont think 90 30 is appropriate for one game per day. Why use such a short time control when you have a whole day available.