PDA

View Full Version : The Drouin Open and ratings

biggles
13-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Last year I sponsored and underwrote the expenses of the Drouin Open because I love chess, and I want to see opportunities for competition on the eastern side of Victoria. I also want to give young people in Gippsland the opportunity to play in tournaments like this.
Whilst I was not thrilled that it cost me quite a bit of money, I treated it as my annual contribution to charity.
Earlier this year I offered the event to a club to run as their own, with consequent savings to everyone including me.
I heard nothing from the club, so I am running it again as a private venture, simply because I love the game of chess, and have been blessed by my association with the chess community.
I hope to have the support of the VCA, and chess players everywhere for this event. I note that in other threads there have been questions raised as to whether a privately run and funded event should be allowed to be rated. I certainly hope that there will not be a problem with this and that the event will be rated. However, I don't like the fact that privately run events have to pay a higher rating fee than club funded events and hope that the policy on this will change.
So the Drouin Open is on again next year on the weekend of 20/21 February and I expect to be out of pocket once again. Your support in coming along will help considerably.
David Bell

PHAT
13-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Good luck!

(It is people like David Bell, "Bruce Dickinson" and myself, who provide the genetic diversity of chess administration. OTB chess at adult level is dieing and the current top [snip] of chess associations are to blaim. Diversity is the only thing that stands between OTB chess and it extinction.)

ursogr8
13-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Last year I sponsored and underwrote the expenses of the Drouin Open because I love chess, and I want to see opportunities for competition on the eastern side of Victoria. I also want to give young people in Gippsland the opportunity to play in tournaments like this.
Whilst I was not thrilled that it cost me quite a bit of money, I treated it as my annual contribution to charity.
Earlier this year I offered the event to a club to run as their own, with consequent savings to everyone including me.
I heard nothing from the club, so I am running it again as a private venture, simply because I love the game of chess, and have been blessed by my association with the chess community.
I hope to have the support of the VCA, and chess players everywhere for this event. I note that in other threads there have been questions raised as to whether a privately run and funded event should be allowed to be rated. I certainly hope that there will not be a problem with this and that the event will be rated. However, I don't like the fact that privately run events have to pay a higher rating fee than club funded events and hope that the policy on this will change.
So the Drouin Open is on again next year on the weekend of 20/21 February and I expect to be out of pocket once again. Your support in coming along will help considerably.
David Bell

hi David
Good to see you back on the BB as a poster. I gather from your comments that you have been reading as a GUEST.

I hope you regard me as a supporter of your initiatives, but still allow me to differ a little in ideas on how to progress forward with chess participation.
In my view, the finances to run chess need to come more from those who play and participate in the events, rather than from personal benefactors such as yourself. Your personal contribution is valued, but should not be the norm for running events. Instead, it is essential that regular players pay a joining fee to become a member of either an affiliated Club (the VIC solution) or a State Association (the NSW, etc solution). Our leverage for 'encouraging' players to join is the much valued ACF-rating.

If we give the ACF-rating away for free then our revenue potential is lost, and with it the chance for chess administrators to support the development of chess participation. To achieve a fair, equitable and reliable revenue stream we need a small Affiliated Club in your large Gippsland area, and we need for your event to require entrants from Melbourne to be members of Affiliated Clubs.

Good luck with your event.

regards
starter

ursogr8
13-08-2004, 09:02 AM
It is people like David Bell, "Bruce Dickinson" and myself, who provide the genetic diversity of chess administration.

Agreed. Your contribution is valuable and valued by me.

OTB chess at adult level is dieing
Probably true, but I have no stats on this. It may be just a pause before the influx of recent junior interest graduates to a healthy increase in adult players.

and the current top [snip] of chess associations are to blaim.
Well, yes, we can do something about, so I guess we are responsible for the state of affairs. You have a strange way of encouraging us to do better, or even our replacements to do better; do you really think calling us names changes our behaviour?

Diversity is the only thing that stands between OTB chess and it extinction.

The best part of your post. And a very good observation. A new thought.

starter

pax
13-08-2004, 10:05 AM
If we give the ACF-rating away for free then our revenue potential is lost, and with it the chance for chess administrators to support the development of chess participation. To achieve a fair, equitable and reliable revenue stream we need a small Affiliated Club in your large Gippsland area, and we need for your event to require entrants from Melbourne to be members of Affiliated Clubs.

Members of affiliated clubs? Surely you mean at most "members of an affiliated state association"? Unfortunately it is the way of the world at the moment that membership of a club is not practical or desirable for many people.

Pax

ursogr8
13-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Members of affiliated clubs? Surely you mean at most "members of an affiliated state association"? Unfortunately it is the way of the world at the moment that membership of a club is not practical or desirable for many people.

Pax

hi Pax

Not sure of your background or profile.
I don't think we have a different view on this issue.
In all States except VIC, players can join a State Association.
In VIC, they join Clubs that can be Affiliated with the State Association. The VIC State Association has no individual members, only Clubs.

So, in my original post......I was meaning 'join something official', and in VIC that means 'join a Club affiliated with ChessVICTORIA.

starter

Bill Gletsos
13-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Agreed. Your contribution is valuable and valued by me.
Well his contribution whilst on the NSWCA Council was of no value whatsoever.

Probably true, but I have no stats on this. It may be just a pause before the influx of recent junior interest graduates to a healthy increase in adult players.
I doubt matt has any stats on it either.

Well, yes, we can do something about, so I guess we are responsible for the state of affairs. You have a strange way of encouraging us to do better, or even our replacements to do better; do you really think calling us names changes our behaviour?
Just typical Matt coarseness.

The best part of your post. And a very good observation. A new thought.
I suppose miracles can happen.

rob
13-08-2004, 02:04 PM
David Bell

If I lived around Melbourne I'd come, but its a bit far from Perth.

Mind you, I went to watch Gippsland play Perth Glory on the fateful Aus v Iran weekend :(

In WA the most popular weekender each year has been the South West Open in Bunbury (3 hours South of Perth) rather than the Perth ones :)

I hope it all goes well for you.

firegoat7
13-08-2004, 03:36 PM

Which club?

PHAT
13-08-2004, 05:49 PM

I hope so ,too. If it does come to be, then it is the Junior Admins to whom we should play homage.

"Encouragement" comes in two flavours; sweet and sour. Over all I think I have the concocted the right mix on th MtB thread. BG on the other hand has been a beast that reponds only to a 80kV prod.

ursogr8
14-08-2004, 02:54 PM
"Encouragement" comes in two flavours; sweet and sour. Over all I think I have the concocted the right mix on th MtB thread. BG on the other hand has been a beast that reponds only to a 80kV prod.

Respond again Matt.
My question asked re 'change in behaviour' not 'response to a stimuli'.
starter

Bill Gletsos
14-08-2004, 05:43 PM
All you have done since your inception on the old ACF BB's is to criticise and abuse chess administrators.
You however did nothing when given the opportunity.
You are nothing but a joke.

PHAT
14-08-2004, 06:18 PM
You have a strange way of encouraging us to do better, or even our replacements to do better; do you really think calling us names changes our behaviour?

Respond again Matt.
My question asked re 'change in behaviour' not 'response to a stimuli'.
starter

If a response to a stimuli becomes habitual, without the necessity of continuing the stimuli, behaviour has been changed.

The averse nature of rubbing a pups nose in its sch.t on the carpet results in a quick and perminant change in behaviour. Unfortunatly, some humans are not as smart as dogs.

Bill Gletsos
14-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Repeating your previous useless reply just shows what a joke you are.

If a response to a stimuli becomes habitual, without the necessity of continuing the stimuli, behaviour has been changed.
Sort of like your continual and habitual criticism of chess administrators.
Thats a real joke coming from a do nothing like you.

The averse nature of rubbing a pups nose in its sch.t on the carpet results in a quick and perminant change in behaviour. Unfortunatly, some humans are not as smart as dogs.
You demonstrate that virtually ever time you post.

ursogr8
14-08-2004, 08:26 PM

I sort of understand what you are getting at.

But this para. is genuinely funny. :)

starter

pax
18-08-2004, 09:48 AM
hi Pax

Not sure of your background or profile.
I don't think we have a different view on this issue.
In all States except VIC, players can join a State Association.
In VIC, they join Clubs that can be Affiliated with the State Association. The VIC State Association has no individual members, only Clubs.

So, in my original post......I was meaning 'join something official', and in VIC that means 'join a Club affiliated with ChessVICTORIA.

starter

Fair enough.

I am an ex WA player currently inactive in NSW so wasn't aware of the Vic situation.

To me the Victorian system seems pretty outdated. There was a time when once a week at a club was the usual way for people to play regular chess. These days the majority of players seem to prefer the occasional tournament rather than a regular commitment.

Pax

ursogr8
18-08-2004, 12:32 PM
To me the Victorian system seems pretty outdated. There was a time when once a week at a club was the usual way for people to play regular chess. These days the majority of players seem to prefer the occasional tournament rather than a regular commitment.

Pax
(Text bolded above by starter.)

hi Pax

Our suburban club has 180 financial members at the moment. Please don't whisper to them that they don't prefer a regular commitment.
In addition, there are 60 members enrolled in a junior Club that also uses the premises. They commit to a term of coaching and play.

If the chess product is well-constructed then people will commit to an evening club weekly competition.

starter

Recherché
18-08-2004, 02:05 PM
If the chess product is well-constructed then people will commit to an evening club weekly competition.

I agree. I also think the Victorian model (especially as practised by the Box Hill Chess Club) is far superior to the model involving individuals joining a state-wide association.