PDA

View Full Version : Drouin Open

biggles
13-08-2004, 06:05 AM
This is advance notice that the Drouin Open Championship will be on again in 2005, on the weekend of 20th and 21st February.
More details will follow later in the year, but put it in your diaries now.

David Bell
Organiser
Drouin Open

PHAT
13-08-2004, 07:13 AM
:lol: ..

Garvinator
13-08-2004, 11:22 AM
This is advance notice that the Drouin Open Championship will be on again in 1995, on the weekend of 20th and 21st February.
More details will follow later in the year, but put it in your diaries now.

David Bell
Organiser
Drouin Open
thanks for the advanced notice, much appreciated :owned: by the way, would you like the drouin open included in the 1995 gp calendar too :uhoh:

Alan Shore
13-08-2004, 12:15 PM
thanks for the advanced notice, much appreciated :owned: by the way, would you like the drouin open included in the 1995 gp calendar too :uhoh:

If the tournament was already losing money I tend to think making it GP would make it lose even more. The Uni of QLD Open in 2001 was a class 3 GP event, with fantastic prizes, yet we only got about 55 participants and lost a bundle (I say we loosely, I participated but was not an organiser) - I think largely because to compensate for such large prizes the entry fees had to be raised.

I guess what you need to consider when you run a tournament is how you expect to attract a decent field without bankrupting oneself. If I can figure that out, I'd be interested in resurrecting the UQ Open next year.

ursogr8
13-08-2004, 12:41 PM
If the tournament was already losing money I tend to think making it GP would make it lose even more. The Uni of QLD Open in 2001 was a class 3 GP event, with fantastic prizes, yet we only got about 55 participants and lost a bundle (I say we loosely, I participated but was not an organiser) - I think largely because to compensate for such large prizes the entry fees had to be raised.

I guess what you need to consider when you run a tournament is how you expect to attract a decent field without bankrupting oneself. If I can figure that out, I'd be interested in resurrecting the UQ Open next year. (BOLD in quote edited in by starter).

hi BD

Attracting the field, is certainly the key question. There are lots of things you can do......rates of play, location, publicity, prize-money etc etc.
Dont forget my theory that most players like competitive chess. A much smaller number like a free chance to take a high-rated players scalp.. The design of your tournament will need to be a trade-off between these mutually exclusive player objectives

starter

Garvinator
13-08-2004, 01:33 PM
hobby horse is right and you have quoted the person who has the complete opposite opinion to you in most ways.

Stay clear of this area, there will be a battle going on here :eek: :whistle:

Garvinator
13-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Regarding Drouin open 2005 being a gp event,

David, you have stated previously that you are losing money with this event. I also understand that your club is not affiliated with CV.

I highly suspect that affiliated clubs can receive a special grant from CV for chess promotion and running events.

I think it would be well worth your club's while to become affiliated with CV and apply for a grant/sponsorship for your event. If only to reduce the amount that comes out of your pocket personally.

Garvin Gray
2004 GP Co-ordinator

Alan Shore
13-08-2004, 02:30 PM
(BOLD in quote edited in by starter).

hi BD

Attracting the field, is certainly the key question. There are lots of things you can do......rates of play, location, publicity, prize-money etc etc.
Dont forget my theory that most players like competitive chess. A much smaller number like a free chance to take a high-rated players scalp.. The design of your tournament will need to be a trade-off between these mutually exclusive player objectives

starter

This is what I think of your competetiveness!

ursogr8
13-08-2004, 03:37 PM
hobby horse is right and you have quoted the person who has the complete opposite opinion to you in most ways.

Stay clear of this area, there will be a battle going on here :eek: :whistle:

Look guys, you are 100% correct, in liking to take the scalp of a high-rated player. No argument from me. That is what you like to do. And so does Matt.
And the SWISS format in its pure form gives you that chance in the first couple of rounds (particularly round 1) for free. For you, what could be better than having a pairing against someone rated 600 points higher just by the fact that it is round 1. No work to get to 5/6 or something like that before the pairing is made. There it is, in round 1. A Heffalump ready to be rolled.

The key question 'is this what the bulk of the field want'? Or do they want competitive games instead? Are you designing a tournament for the masses; or for you? :hmm:

Don't kick me just because you have a choice to make. All I am doing is describing the choice. :uhoh:

starter

Garvinator
13-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Look guys, you are 100% correct, in liking to take the scalp of a high-rated player. No argument from me. That is what you like to do.
mr starter sir, are you including me in the monster swiss fan club?

Bill Gletsos
13-08-2004, 06:33 PM
I know david said 1995 but I think you should be including it in the 2005 calendar.
Putting it in the GP calendar for 1995 isnt any use. :doh:

arosar
13-08-2004, 06:38 PM
IPutting it in the GP calendar for 1995 isnt any use. :doh:

Oh gee Bill. That's the wisest thing you said all week.

AR

Bill Gletsos
13-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Oh gee Bill. That's the wisest thing you said all week.

AR
I know you cant help being a wiseass but it seemed fairly obvious. ;)

Garvinator
13-08-2004, 07:07 PM
I know david said 1995 but I think you should be including it in the 2005 calendar.
well i was being a plain smart ass if you couldnt tell :P anyways i have said before that the whole calendar will be up for review and ill be making some recommendations to the acf council in future months.

PHAT
14-08-2004, 07:53 AM

The joke isn't funny the second time. It is limp, lame, and lamentable.

biggles
14-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Further to my announcement on the Drouin Open.
Prize money will be the same as last year, namely $500 for first, $300 for second and $200 for third. Junior and rating prizes if sponsors can be found.
I cannot see that chess tournaments will ever pay for themselves. The traditional way forward is to find generous sponsors. I have my own quiet ambitiion and that is to sponsor this tournament through an investment fund.
The fund does not yet exist but it will one day. In the meantime I have to carry the losses that will arise. Frankly I don't care about that very much. What is money but a means to an end. You can't take it with you so might as well do something useful with it. However I really hope that the chess commmunity will get behind this event and turn up in droves.
I hope it will go on to the GP tournament listing for next year as I intend that it be GP event.

Garvinator
14-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Regarding Drouin open 2005 being a gp event,

David, you have stated previously that you are losing money with this event. I also understand that your club is not affiliated with CV.

I highly suspect that affiliated clubs can receive a special grant from CV for chess promotion and running events.

I think it would be well worth your club's while to become affiliated with CV and apply for a grant/sponsorship for your event. If only to reduce the amount that comes out of your pocket personally.

Garvin Gray
2004 GP Co-ordinator

David, this was my comment on this issue earlier.

ursogr8
15-08-2004, 09:57 AM

BD

That is cute what you did to my avatar in your response post.

But, hey, I already knew what you thought about competitiveness. The question I posed was whether you designed tournaments for the masses; or for you.

starter

Alan Shore
15-08-2004, 08:47 PM
BD

That is cute what you did to my avatar in your response post.

But, hey, I already knew what you thought about competitiveness. The question I posed was whether you designed tournaments for the masses; or for you.

starter

We've been over this territory before. Having spoken to some chess players I've had mixed views on the subject yet not nearly enough to warrant change.

Garvinator
15-08-2004, 08:58 PM
We've been over this territory before. Having spoken to some chess players I've had mixed views on the subject yet not nearly enough to warrant change.
and alot of that is just a simple unwillingness to try new things, not so much an actual problem with a new system. maybe new things will be tried next year ;)

Alan Shore
15-08-2004, 09:05 PM
and alot of that is just a simple unwillingness to try new things, not so much an actual problem with a new system. maybe new things will be tried next year ;)

Dude.. people get competetive games as well as the opportunity to learn something from playing a much better opponent and the chance to take big scalps (one of the major reason Sweeney plays in tournaments I believe). It's not being unwilling to try something nw because we knoe exactly what i would entail and why it's inferior to the current system. There's been some shockers in NSW regarding rules additions already so I don't want to see it here and potentially drive people away. I suppose it shall remain the perogative of the organiser regarding what system is used but I doubt you'd get too many new fans. This is all reiteration and I don't want to have to go over it again, let's let it slide.

Garvinator
15-08-2004, 09:29 PM
i was expecting more of chuckle with the last part of my comment ;) :owned:

Alan Shore
15-08-2004, 10:01 PM
i was expecting more of chuckle with the last part of my comment ;) :owned:

Haha, well, it hasn't happened yet.. let's hope it all goes according to plan though. :cool: