PDA

View Full Version : insecurity of the web

Davidflude
22-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I was totally shocked to discover that when you send messages or connect to a website information about your ISP address is passed on and can be used by web site administrators to determine who you are.

Apparently it is so bad that spies use a product called TOR to protect their identities for data transmission and other methods when logging into web sites.

Garrett
22-11-2009, 05:58 PM
yeah an IP packet normally contains (along with a heap of other header information) IP infomation. This will often be an ISP address or some sort of dynamic address assigned to you for your session.

Apart from intercontinental spying reasons, the website host needs to know where to send the requested information back to.

Rincewind
22-11-2009, 06:00 PM
I was totally shocked to discover that when you send messages or connect to a website information about your ISP address is passed on and can be used by web site administrators to determine who you are.

Apparently it is so bad that spies use a product called TOR to protect their identities for data transmission and other methods when logging into web sites.

If you want to cloak your IP the easiest/simplest thing is to you a proxy server. You can configure one via your connection setting of your browser or some sites offer a proxy service with a a HTTP interface.

Still this might conceal your IP address however going through a proxy just puts another agent in the way of data between you and the application you are accessing via the web. I would not use a public-access proxy server to enter userid and passwords. HTTPS is more secure but many passwords are still sent in white text.

In short, if you are worried about being identified and want to remain anonymous then proxies offer some security (however the proxies still log connections so it is not foolproof). If you want to keep your identity secure from identity theft then proxy servers are probably worse than connecting directly.

Redmond Barry
22-11-2009, 11:26 PM
i dont really understand how the web can be so insecure.

think about it ....... before the web was invented we mainly relied upon physical mail drops to communicate coupled with the telephone and preceding that pony express thanks to horses and smoke signals courtesy of the cherokee indians. now everything revolves around the internet, its the most popular kid on the block and your telling me it has emotional frailties.

its the lumber that powered the fires that used to create the smoke signals that should feel insecure, not the web. wood doesnt get a look in anymore so its all nonsense that the internet should feel so crippled, my thoughts are with the kindling and the ponies.

maybe the web just needs a new dress if it doesnt like its appearance, karate lessons if it feels physically weaker than the rest or maybe, just maybe, it should grow a pair of testicles and realise that it doesnt have it so hard since it receives attention lavished upon it every single minute of every single hour of the entire bloody calendar year.

shut up net, your pathetic !!!!!

carry on ...............

Saragossa
23-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Hire a virtual private server. And on the server go through proxy after proxy etc etc you web will be really slow but you will have pretty secure internet. That or go to an internet cafe.

arosar
25-11-2009, 09:06 AM
If you're really, really that worried and you're losing sleep over it - then there's only one thing to do. Log off the internet.

AR

Rincewind
25-11-2009, 09:10 AM
If you're really, really that worried and you're losing sleep over it - then there's only one thing to do. Log off the internet.

Or to use my favourite Scott McNealy quote... "You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it."

Basil
25-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Or pinch someone else's ID and let hackers pinch that!