PDA

View Full Version : Mt Buller Website Wish List

skip to my lou
05-08-2004, 12:25 AM
So, what would you like to see implemented on the Mt Buller tournament website?

Use this thread to post any ideas you get for the website and your idea will be considered for implementation on the Mt Buller website.

One suggestion we have had is "Player Profiles" and we are taking steps towards achieving this. Player profiles can contain statistics, photo, background info etc.

PHAT
05-08-2004, 01:08 AM
In the player profiles, include that players personal favorite game during the event.

Depending on how many players are willing to display their "skills" on the site this may be between a very small and an outragously huge job.

PHAT
05-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Lots (100s) of candid photos.

Ian Rout
05-08-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm not interested in flashy graphics or super wizzy special effects etc, at least until the basics are in place first - a few points based on high returns for low effort:

1. Prompt updates. Nothing kills the drama more than having to wait until the next morning or late into the day to get the results. Of course this is partly a function of the prioritisation by the organisers but the web design can help a lot by having a simple mechanism whereby any available pair of hands attached to a functioning brain with minimal training can enter results. I won't advocate any particular method as I'm sure you can think of a million ways to achieve it.

2. Games backup. The direct on-line transmission of games always fails so a simple mechanism by which a couple of games can quickly be manually posted is probably a good idea - just a designated page where new games would appear in text would do. Some people seem to expect all games to be available within seconds of a round finishing which is not feasible but on the other hand no games at all would be pretty poor, just a couple to amuse the slavering masses shouldn't be a huge effort.

3. Easy navigation. Important stuff to be obviously accessible from the front page, not having to go through half a dozen pull-down menus to get one table then do the same again for another etc.

Paul S
11-08-2004, 04:38 AM
A wish list is fine.

However, a more important issue is to get the actual website up and running!

A website would go a long way to ending the at times confusing and contradictory information about the Mt Buller Mk III tournament (IMHO MB1 was in 2002, MB2 was Cordover's mess and MB3 is the present situation).

jay_vee
26-08-2004, 02:10 AM
just a reminder, the website still says "coming soon, check back on 23rd of August". If it's not ready yet, someone might want to change that date...

Garvinator
27-08-2004, 01:16 AM
just a reminder, the website still says "coming soon, check back on 23rd of August". If it's not ready yet, someone might want to change that date...
its been changed ;)

skip to my lou
19-09-2004, 08:09 PM
In the player profiles, include that players personal favorite game during the event.

Depending on how many players are willing to display their "skills" on the site this may be between a very small and an outragously huge job.

I'll see what I can do.

Lots (100s) of candid photos.

Yep, good idea. I will try and get as many photos as possible up on the site. I might even integrate a photo album module into the website so it is more organised and has a few more features than just a plain HTML page.

skip to my lou
19-09-2004, 08:10 PM
There was a bit of confusion around that time, it has been resolved though.

skip to my lou
19-09-2004, 08:18 PM
I'm not interested in flashy graphics or super wizzy special effects etc, at least until the basics are in place first - a few points based on high returns for low effort:

The first version of the site was quite graphic intensive, though George has requested it be made simpler and so it has.

1. Prompt updates. Nothing kills the drama more than having to wait until the next morning or late into the day to get the results. Of course this is partly a function of the prioritisation by the organisers but the web design can help a lot by having a simple mechanism whereby any available pair of hands attached to a functioning brain with minimal training can enter results. I won't advocate any particular method as I'm sure you can think of a million ways to achieve it.

All organisers need to do is output from swiss perfect into text file format and then upload that. The website automatically reads the text files and displays them as needed. If you look at the 03 site player list, results etc, all of that is automated ;)

2. Games backup. The direct on-line transmission of games always fails so a simple mechanism by which a couple of games can quickly be manually posted is probably a good idea - just a designated page where new games would appear in text would do. Some people seem to expect all games to be available within seconds of a round finishing which is not feasible but on the other hand no games at all would be pretty poor, just a couple to amuse the slavering masses shouldn't be a huge effort.

I will put every game I get into a chesslib online searchable database: http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=957

Live games, I am not so sure about. We haven't organised any backup yet, but we will figure that out when we do a test run on live games.

3. Easy navigation. Important stuff to be obviously accessible from the front page, not having to go through half a dozen pull-down menus to get one table then do the same again for another etc.

Hopefully, it is easy to navigate. I can't imagine the current site being hard to navigate. All the information required to get you to the tournament is at the top. All the information once the tournament is running is on the right hand side menu.

skip to my lou
19-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Thank you for all the feedback.

Please keep the ideas coming! :)

Brian_Jones
20-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Jeo (and George)

The word documents need to:

1. Use standard fonts that everybody has
2. Avoid line wrap round by changing margins

It is better to convert the documents to acrobat so that what you see is what you get (WYSIWYG).

skip to my lou
20-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi Brian,

I will do that once George confirms that there are no more errors in the word document.

Thank you