PDA

View Full Version : 2004 British Championship

Ian Rout
04-08-2004, 05:00 PM
I notice that the British Championship is under way:

http://www.bcfservices.org.uk/live2004/tournaments/british.htm

This is no longer as interesting to Australians as it used to be, as the quaint custom of allowing participation by players from elsewehere in the Empire has been discontinued. Not unreasonably, the locals got a bit stroppy when not only the first prize but most of the list was carried off by the Indians, who were allegedly being subsidised by their national federation. Another time it was won by expat Joe Gallagher, who lists himself as Swiss for such purposes as Olympiad selection.

This culminated in most of the top British players declining to participate last year, and the rules being changed.

I would have thought that the other side of the coin is that a True British Championship should feature the best of British to keep the sponsors happy, and on that score the change has not been entirely successful. While the foreigners have been purged, names such as Adams, Short, McShane, Hodgson, Speelman, Nunn and Conquest are among those who have not replaced them. (Some of these are engaged elswhere.)

I note, though, that Gwaze, is listed as a competitor. Does anyone know if this is a different Gwaze from the player who played for Zimbabwe, or has the same Gwaze jumped ship?

Ian_Rogers
04-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Gwaze now lives in England.