PDA

View Full Version : Need Opening and defence

**Luisin**
24-09-2009, 01:13 AM
My FIDE rating is around 1400 I dont know any other rating I have just played in school with guys who have ratings. And its around there.

I always did a stonewall and played defensively with white and when I attacked I went through the further right side of the board with very few pieces atacking diagonally from the left side. Of course I sometimes did other things but 80% of games where like I just described. With black I play super agressive and always did the scandinavian it worked really well but I want another defense that is really agressive.

The thing is I dont know how to break my own stonewall I always waited for the other player. Where I played it's rare to do a stonewall everyone plays open games and even when they do d4 it somehow ends up the same as if they had played e4. That's why I always did it.

Anyway, a 1800 FIDE rating knew how to break my stonewall without even thinking,I played another with 1800 FIDE but the guy who beat my stonewall knew tactics really hardcore and he almost never plays and knows almost no theory.

Anyway the question is how do I open/break a stonewall, my own or my oponent's.

I read a book about stonewalls for black and I still dont understand sh@t even after analyzing a ton of the games the book doesn't really explain anything I erased it form my pc maybe it was too advanced for me.

I also want to ask what are the best aggressive defences for black. I have always used the Scandinavian and it works really good for me but I realized some things white could do to cripple me positionally/strategically while watching some videos lessons from a IM, (he doesn't mention them though) and now I can't even bring myself to play it.

I have begun playing after a year and a half. Of being traumatized And I find I like open games now and really like the Ruy Lopez and I want to play as aggressive with white as I do with black but everyone over here where I play has been doing the Ruy Lopez all their lives. I would really like to end with a Bishop and a Knight instead of a pair of any of them. What besides Ruy Lopez can I do?

EDIT: I changed the name while it lagged and it double posted.

antichrist
24-09-2009, 07:35 PM
do you all mean that no one has answered this poor tryer, I could but I am a professional coach!

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I can understand why some people find the Stonewall hard to face because there is a perception that it it just sits there forever and you can't get rid of it. I got trounced by a lower rated player who used a Stonewall (and sacrificed pieces every half-dozen moves or so) many years ago and since then I have tried to be very well prepared for it. I like to go for a kingside fianchetto setup with the QB ready to come out to g4 or perhaps f5 to exploit light-square weaknesses and obstruct white's attack when required. I play a similar way against some Birds lines (actually these are played against me more often). It is perhaps easier to work around the Stonewall and try to exploit the light square weakness than to try to break it down directly. But there are lots of other ways to play against it (even including doing a Stonewall of your own). Remember that the Stonewall is nothing to be scared of because it is positionally suspect. White blocks in the QB and leaves light square holes all over the place. The most important thing is look after your kingside and make sure white's kingside attacking chances are kept quiet.

Disclaimer: I am in the 1900s and don't often face the Stonewall that much so you may get more useful comments from someone higher rated or more used to it.

**Luisin**
25-09-2009, 07:17 AM
I never knew how to sacrifice except pretty obvious bishop sacrifices which I learned from watching youtube videos I think they where called polar bear or some polar animal and I always used the bird opening because I was scared of loosing even on the internet I dont know why, and it was the best opening I did.

the square weaknesses and the importance of the bishops when doing a stonewall where in the book I had read. I learned how to always have the upper hand in position exactly like the books and articles on the net said. But I still lost to tactics especially breaking my stonewall.

Desmond
25-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I always did a stonewall and played defensively with white

I also want to ask what are the best aggressive defences for black. .Suggest switching it around; aggresivenly as White and defensively as Black. :)

Capablanca-Fan
25-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Don't play a Stonewall with White. Often when White tries to play a Black opening a tempo up, that extra tempo hurts him because it telegraphs intentions. E.g. a Dutch sort of makes sense because it controls e4 which White has somewhat weakened with 1.d4; a Bird gives Black the option of omitting ...d5 and instead eventually playing ...d6 and ...e5.

And the subset of the Dutch, the Stonewall, sort of makes sense once White has committed to blocking his own QB with e3 (e.g. the line 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c6 4.e3 f5 (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1067803)), or fianchettoing his KB, making the "good" B just as poor as the bad Black QB (see the classic Keres – Botvinnik game from Moscow 1947 (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1032154) — this setback explains Keres' disastrous score against Botvinnik in the World Championship Match Tournament the following year, so there is no need to postulate "Keres was forced to throw games").

But it makes no sense to telegraph the intention with White, and allow Black the ideal development of both playing his QB outside the P chain, so it can oppose White's good B, and his KB on an active diagonal (e.g. in one of my ancient NZ Championship games (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1450693)). Naturally, playing the Stonewall as Black, allowing White the ideal setup, is likewise disastrous, as per the classic Capablanca – Treybal Carlsbad 1929 (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1066825), or a more recent Karpov simul game against Finnish Olympian Raaste (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1069368).

**Luisin**
26-09-2009, 10:11 PM
@jono: I can't believe none of the players I played with told me that, I was always looking to improve, that makes a lot of sense.thanks.

@Boris: The reason I played that way was to counterattack the style of the players where I played, but it got boring really fast

If any of you could tell me aggressive defence with black I really want to keep as I am with black but not with the scandinavian I read a book of the caro-kan and another of the sicilian dragon and also one on the KID and the one I liked most was the KID.

I dont care if I lose a pawn.

James Peirce
20-11-2012, 10:36 AM
I know an alternative to the Ruy Lopez, the Scotch it is fairly uncommon but has been played by Kasparov in his World Championship Match with Karpov, on my chessmaster database of over 350,000 games the Scotch only occurs about 3,000 times. I am an expert on the Scotch but i still have trouble playing against it as Balck

MichaelBaron
24-11-2012, 12:07 AM
I could but I am a professional coach!

LOL who would guess :)