PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian top ten active players 1997 - present

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2009, 02:06 AM
This is just something I've been curious about for a while - having a look at changes in the Tasmanian top ten active ratings over time. Hope Tassie posters in particular find it interesting but any comments, feedback etc welcome.

The data I've used are the ACF active lists as stored on Barry's website (http://www.bjcox.com/modules.php?name=Downloads). I've used the top ten player orders exactly as they appear there except for crediting David Small to the Tasmanian list as soon as he started playing here again (one period earlier than his actual appearance) and disregarding Michael Rolph who has not lived in the state for many years. I'm aware that in some cases, because of retrospective system revisions and so on, there might be slight differences between what is on Barry's site and what is now held as past player ratings, but they shouldn't affect anything too much.

A total of 38 lists are used from April 1999 to Sep 2009. Three per year for 1999-2002 and four per year thereafter. The only list issued I haven't used was a transitional one issued one November which showed very little change for most leading Tas players.

In the following table:

HP = Highest position in top ten
L#1 = Number of lists on which #1
WP = Worst position in top ten
LI = Number of lists in top ten
Av = Average position in top ten when in it.

So it can be seen, for instance, that I am the only one who has been in the top ten for every single rating list, but my average position when in the list is about fourth, whereas most of the others who have been #1 have typically been in the top three when on the active list at all.

Top players will often play one tournament then become inactive and stay on the list in a high position until they fall off it for inactivity. That is one reason why everyone who has been #5 or higher has been on at least five lists, although some (eg Fearnley-Sander) have only actually played one tournament in the period in question.

HP L#1 WP LI AV
Sakov 1 8 5 21 2.52
Dowden 1 7 3 15 1.67
Bemrose 1 5 3 7 1.43
Small 1 5 1 5 1
Hornung 1 3 6 12 2.83
Markovitz 1 3 3 9 2
Wagg 1 3 2 6 1.5
Bonham 1 2 8 38 3.84
Knight 1 2 10 31 4.9
Pavicic 2 0 9 25 5.92
Oriol 2 0 6 9 4.11
Fearnley-Sander 2 0 3 5 2.8
Gibbs 3 0 10 24 7.29
Todd 3 0 9 15 6.13
Rezaie 3 0 10 15 6.6
Lucas 3 0 6 14 5.29
Billam 3 0 6 10 4.6
Frame 4 0 10 28 8.5
Kacic 4 0 10 20 6.95
Premilovac 4 0 9 13 6.15
Rothlisberger 5 0 9 13 7.15
Dyer 6 0 9 6 7
Chadwick 7 0 10 17 9.24
Steward 7 0 9 4 8
Djekanovic 7 0 8 2 7.5
Stubbs 8 0 8 1 8
Radosavljevic 9 0 10 5 9.8
Harvey 9 0 9 3 9
George 9 0 9 1 9
Donnelly 10 0 10 4 10
Hannon 10 0 10 1 10
M Bretag 10 0 10 1 10

Both the cutoff point for the list and the average rating of the list move about from list to list as players gain and lose points, enter the list, leave it through inactivity etc. However, there is a general trend of decline over time in both the average of the list and the rating of whoever is #10 at any particular time. The exception to this trend is when there are substantial uplifts to the ratings pool. I have shown these on the graph below.

The current list is the first time since the 150 point uplift that Tasmania has not had ten active 1700+ players. Three of the current top ten have not played a rated game in over a year so it is possible the shortage of high-rated players will become more acute in the future.

The current Tassie top ten is Small, Dowden, Markovitz, Bonham, Knight, Dyer, Steward, Pavicic, Frame, Chadwick.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/therealsleepycat/tassietoptengraph.jpg

PS: If anyone can resize the graph .jpg without it looking awful, feel free to post a resized version and I'll delete this one which is over-width.

ER
01-09-2009, 02:55 AM
That's a very interesting comparative work and I will take some time to go through it.
opssss I deleted my remark about ratings since it was made before I had seen the second graph!

Kevin Bonham
01-06-2010, 01:40 AM
There has been a shakeup in the Tassie top ten in the June 2010 list. Two players (Knight and Pavicic) dropped off for inactivity while heavy points losses for many players in the Tasmanian championships have meant that Tony Dowden resumes the #1 position despite shedding 23 points.

The rating of the state #1 (1984), the average of the top ten ratings (1816, down 54 points since last list) and the #10 rating (1670) are all now at their lowest levels since the 150-point uplift in 2000. Indeed since then the average rating at the pointy end is down by 110 points despite the 70-point uplift for FIDE parity.

Are we really all getting that bad? ;) Perhaps we are ...

The current Tassie top ten is Dowden, Dyer, Small, Steward, Markovitz, Bonham, Frame, Chadwick, Hendrey (first time entry) and Rezaie.

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Following the release of the substantially rerun ratings the average increase for the Tassie top ten is 75 points taking the average for the top ten to 1888. The last time the average was that high (pre-rerun) was June 2008. The average of the top ten averages for lists from the 70 point uplift (March 2004) until June 2008 was also 1888. It's possible that deflation at the top end of the Tassie pool has mainly happened in the last 3 years, although changes in players contributing to it also need to be considered.

Anyway the current top 10 is Dowden, Dyer, Steward, Small, Markovitz, Bonham, Frame, Chadwick, T Hendrey and M Bretag. Last two tied for 9th.

Rincewind
01-03-2011, 09:31 AM
I could do a better job if you send me the spreadsheet or a vector image of the graph. But just resizing the jpeg which already has some compression artifacts is not going to look as good. But here is what it looks like at 600 pixels wide.

Kevin Bonham
02-03-2012, 08:12 PM
With David Small now off the list for inactivity we now have both Bretags in the top ten for the first time (and I believe at least one of them might be playing again pretty soon!)

The current Tasmanian top ten is Dowden, Dyer, Steward, Markovitz, Bonham, Chadwick, Frame, M Bretag, Donnelly and L Bretag.

rob
04-03-2012, 05:42 AM
With David Small now off the list for inactivity we now have both Bretags in the top ten for the first time (and I believe at least one of them might be playing again pretty soon!)

The current Tasmanian top ten is Dowden, Dyer, Steward, Markovitz, Bonham, Chadwick, Frame, M Bretag, Donnelly and L Bretag.

Denis McMahon moved from WA to Tas a year or so ago. I know he played and did well in a quick play in Tas, but I'm not sure if he has played any rated games. He has rating of 1761! - the same figure as M Bretag.

Former Tas player Jon Chandler 1742 has started well in the WA Metro Club Championship 'B' division - he is on 2.5/3. Cross-tables and games of the 52 players are available from http://metrochessclub.org.au

Kevin Bonham
04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Denis McMahon moved from WA to Tas a year or so ago. I know he played and did well in a quick play in Tas, but I'm not sure if he has played any rated games.

He has - he played six rated games when he tied for first in the Tas Open last year. Probably he should now be transferred to Tas on the ratings list - initially I think there was doubt about how long he would be here.

I was wondering where Chandler had suddenly reappeared on the list from!

ER
05-03-2012, 01:10 AM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_4171.jpg

Bonham (left), and McMahon (right) pondering their next moves during last year's Tasmanian Open in Hobart. The two players eventually tied for first! Photo: Elliott Renzies (from the Chess Players Collection)

Thunderspirit
20-03-2012, 08:19 PM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_4171.jpg

Bonham (left), and McMahon (right) pondering their next moves during last year's Tasmanian Open in Hobart. The two players eventually tied for first! Photo: Elliott Renzies (from the Chess Players Collection)

Where's the long haired, death metal t-shirt wearing dude I met in Sydney?:(

Kevin Bonham
20-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Where's the long haired, death metal t-shirt wearing dude I met in Sydney?:(

Haha. It would have been a goth band t-shirt. Unfortunately most of my favourite goth bands are long defunct and hence no longer producing t-shirts. As for the hair, it's still quite long at the back.

Kevin Bonham
01-06-2012, 01:55 AM
I've finally, and not before time, been bumped off #1 in the Tassie rapid ratings - Neil Markovitz's easy win of the HICC Open Rapid was good for 2248? to my 2197!!

The main-list Tassie top ten is now Dowden, Dyer, Steward, Markovitz, Bonham, Chadwick, Frame, M Bretag, Nagy (new entry) and Donnelly but I think Steward will drop off the active list next period. #1 to #2 = 2 points.

Tony Dowden
01-06-2012, 09:46 PM
... we now have both Bretags in the top ten for the first time (and I believe at least one of them might be playing again pretty soon!)

Yes indeed, I had 8-10 blitz games with the more locquacious of the two in the uni caf in Lonnie at lunchtime on Tuesday. Haven't had the luxury of lunchtime blitz for more than 10 years :cool:

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2012, 12:24 AM
The new Tasmanian top ten is Dowden, Dyer, Markovitz, Bonham, Frame, Chadwick, Nagy, Donnelly, MacMahon, Russell Horton. The last four are all in their highest ever positions.

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2012, 01:41 AM
Alastair Dyer has become the #1 listed "Tasmanian" player for the first time (although he has been interstate for the last two years studying). He takes over from Tony Dowden who is still on the Tas list but who we expect to be moved to the Qld list next time.

Rod Macfarlan appears in the list for the first time after an outstanding result in the HICC Champs.

The Tassie top ten is Dyer, Dowden, Markovitz, Bonham, Chadwick, Frame, Nagy, Donnelly, Macfarlan and Macmahon.

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2013, 12:08 AM
With a couple of losses from the previous top ten (one through inactivity, one through departure) the new Tasmanian top ten is Dyer, Markovitz, Bonham, Chadwick, Frame, Nagy, Macfarlan, Macmahon, Lucas and Saunders.

This is Michael Saunders' first appearance in the TTT while Peter Lucas is back for the first time since 2008 (in 2006 he was at one stage #3).

The current TTT has the lowest average rating since before the 150-point uplift back in 2000. In this case I'm very confident that issues to do with junior ratings are not the reason.

Kevin Bonham
01-06-2013, 02:40 AM
Alastair Dyer is still #1 in absentia but I think he will be off for inactivity next time if he hasn't played by then; in any case Neil Markovitz is now close behind him. Peter Knight has come back in at #3 putting me down to 4 and Charles Chadwick is off for inactivity so the rest of the top ten below me are the same.

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Big changes this month with Alastair Dyer dropping off the top of the list as predicted, so Neil Markovitz is the new #1 and deservedly so, but Phil Donnelly (1867) jumps back onto the list at a career-high #4 (his previous high was #8) after winning the Tasmanian Open with 6/6. A similar thing happened with Andrew Todd in 2007.

The new Tasmanian top ten is Markovitz, Knight, Bonham, Donnelly, Frame, Nagy, Macfarlan, D Rolph (first time entry), McMahon and R Horton.

Nagy has had a lot of losses in the HICC Champs and may fall off the list next time.

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2013, 12:00 AM
HICC Champion Joshua Loh jumps onto the list at 2133? but is listed on the overseas list. Neil Markovitz goes over 2000 by beating Loh in the HICC Champs (rather spectacularly too - queen sac deflection)

The new Tasmanian top ten is Markovitz, Knight, Bonham, Donnelly, Frame, Macfarlan, McMahon, Lucas, D Rolph and Harvey. Reg Harvey makes the list for the first time since 2004 after co-winning the 9-player Burnie Shines with McMahon. From something I saw on another forum I think our #4 may be living in Poland.

Kevin Bonham
01-06-2014, 03:50 AM
There are two new entries on the Tasmanian top ten list though one has not been formally transferred to the Tas list yet. Ian Rout has moved here and Mason Carter makes the top ten for the first time. Bill Kerr has also moved here and will likely go in on the next list (indeed at present he'd go straight to the top).

The new TTT is Markovitz, Knight, Bonham, Donnelly, Rout, Frame, Macfarlan, M Carter, McMahon, D Rolph.

I saw #2 in town the other day; not content with just being very good at chess he's distracted by other games for the time being!

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2014, 12:24 AM
Another major shakeup this quarter with the two Tasmanian Open winners Bill Kerr and David Small (one a transfer to the Tasmanian list, one emerging from inactivity) going straight to the top of the pack. The top ten ratings are now at their highest average level since late 2007.

The new Tasmanian top ten is Kerr, Small, Markovitz, Knight, Bonham, Donnelly and Rout (tied), Frame, Macfarlan and Carter.

The top ten Tasmanian quick ratings are held by Small, Kerr, Markovitz, Bonham, Knight, Rout, McMahon and Harvey (tied), Lucas and Hughes.

GoodNite
01-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Hi Kevin, where can the rapid ratings list be found? I have only seen the classic ratings posted by Bill. David

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Hi Kevin, where can the rapid ratings list be found? I have only seen the classic ratings posted by Bill. David

They are not online yet but I believe they'll go up on the ACF site shortly. If anyone from Tasmania doesn't want to wait they can let me know via PM or email and I'll send them a copy. People in other states can contact their own state rating officer.

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2014, 12:39 AM
A loss of 34 points for Bill Kerr sees him now tied with David Small on 2051, however Kerr is 2051!! while Small is 2051? Denis McMahon returns to the top ten in ninth after winning the Burnie Shines.

The new Tasmanian top ten is Kerr and Small (tied), Markovitz, Knight, Bonham, Rout, Donnelly, Frame, McMahon and Carter.

James Peirce
01-12-2014, 09:32 AM
This is the top 20 rapid ratings player instead of 10 (mainly because i wanted to include myself)Only players with ! or !!

Top Rated Tasmanian Players (Rating Position)
Kevin Bonham 2006 (2)
Mason Carter 1804 (4)
Scott Cohen 1666 (10)
Reg Harvey 1749 (6)
Russell Horton 1598 (15)
David Hughes 1670 (9)
Milutin Ivkovic 1651 (11)
Bill Kerr 2112 (1)
Dylan Kuzmic 1620 (13)
Lenard Lange 1633 (12)
Nigel Lewis 1580 (16)
Peter Lucas 1701 (8)
Denis McMahon 1801 (5)
David Rolph 1732 (7)
James Peirce 1515 (18)
Alex Nagy 1557 (17)
Ian Rout 1818 (3)
Ian Little 1512 (19)
Fred Duiker 1607 (14)
Carey Kuzmic 1424 (20)

Adamski
01-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Has Ian Rout played any standard length games in Tasmania yet? I see he has played some rapid.

idledim
01-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Has Ian Rout played any standard length games in Tasmania yet? I see he has played some rapid.

Ian is also playing great classic chess. He won the Burnie Club Championship without losing a game and repeated that in the Robert Isted Memorial. He also placed 3rd= in the Burnie Shines (he had me completely busted in our game but i fluked the win); and he finished with 3.5/6 in a very strong Tasmanian Open field.

Adamski
01-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks for that idledim. Ian has long been a strong player - clearly that has not changed with his geographical move!

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2014, 11:16 PM
Revision to the rating list has increased Bill Kerr's rating by a point, meaning he is now sole state #1 for this period.

billkerr
02-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Revision to the rating list has increased Bill Kerr's rating by a point, meaning he is now sole state #1 for this period.

Unfortunately, "things" didn't work out for me in Launceston. I'm now living in Melbourne. Thanks to the Hobart and Burnie players for their hospitality in the two events I did play in. Also to Nevile Ledger for sharing his history of Tasmanian chess with me.

idledim
02-12-2014, 08:24 PM
That's the saddest news all day, Bill. I know i speak for all the players here when i say that it was an honour and a treat to get to play you and Tassie chess will be much the poorer for your leaving. Speaking of chess history, I suppose it's a belated return to Melbourne - I remember once reading a story in Chess World from 1965 about a very talented young chap from Melbourne Grammar who, according to the writer, had done brilliantly at matriculation and who had subsequently travelled up to Sydney to beat Ralph Shaw 3-1 in a play-off and claim his second Australian Junior title - the first person to win successive titles. The article was headed: 'Bill Kerr's double.' - so i suppose it's a belated return. Thanks for playing, Bill.

Kevin Bonham
02-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Unfortunately, "things" didn't work out for me in Launceston. I'm now living in Melbourne. Thanks to the Hobart and Burnie players for their hospitality in the two events I did play in. Also to Nevile Ledger for sharing his history of Tasmanian chess with me.

I wondered about that when I saw you had played in a Melbourne tournament. It was great to have you here, albeit briefly, and good luck.

billkerr
02-12-2014, 09:21 PM
That's the saddest news all day, Bill. I know i speak for all the players here when i say that it was an honour and a treat to get to play you and Tassie chess will be much the poorer for your leaving. Speaking of chess history, I suppose it's a belated return to Melbourne - I remember once reading a story in Chess World from 1965 about a very talented young chap from Melbourne Grammar who, according to the writer, had done brilliantly at matriculation and who had subsequently travelled up to Sydney to beat Ralph Shaw 3-1 in a play-off and claim his second Australian Junior title - the first person to win successive titles. The article was headed: 'Bill Kerr's double.' - so i suppose it's a belated return. Thanks for playing, Bill.
mmm... thanks Denis, I think I remember that Chess World article. There were some inaccuracies there, although I'm a great admirer of Cecil Purdy since he taught me how to play well, for those times (before we had any GMs in Australia) simply by following the meticulous advice in his magazine. One of his suggestions was to simply hide the moves of the GM game you were playing through and try to guess them. Such a simple idea and so hard to get it right. The bit about Ralph Shaw and the second title is correct. But I went to Box Hill Tech, not Melbourne Grammar and so I never did matriculation, except indirectly. That rubbed off in my teaching career later because I taught only in government schools and often in disadvantaged schools in low socio-economic areas at that. Lots of stories and thoughts from those times but sadly some of movers and shakers from then are no longer with us (the Koshnitsky's, the Purdy's, Max Fuller, Terrey Shaw and some other lesser well known names).

idledim
02-12-2014, 09:39 PM
That rubbed off in my teaching career later because I taught only in government schools and often in disadvantaged schools in low socio-economic areas at that.

Glad to hear it - being wrongly accused of going to Melbourne Grammar can't have been easy! I had a similar teaching career in the govt. system - and i blame it on having gone to Shore in Sydney. Anyhow Bill: - as they say - good luck in all your future endeavours.

Ian Rout
03-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Disappointing to see the entire Launceston chess scene move interstate but at least we had Bill play a couple of tournaments. Good luck with things on the mainland.

James Peirce
04-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Disappointing to see the entire Launceston chess scene move interstate but at least we had Bill play a couple of tournaments. Good luck with things on the mainland. Any idea what Evan Gale is up to now as I know his a very strong player?

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2015, 09:29 PM
A fairly big shakeup with Bill Kerr moving to Victoria, Nigel Frame off for inactivity after being in the top ten continuously since 2009 and Peter Knight also off for inactivity. The new top ten is Small, Markovitz (who we think may have moved to NZ), Rout, Bonham, Donnelly, McMahon, Carter, Macfarlan, D Rolph and R Harvey. David Small was previously #1 in 2008-10.

Kevin Bonham
08-06-2015, 11:10 PM
I've discovered Joshua Loh should have been listed as Tasmanian - he's been here for 6 years and is now working here. This means he has actually been the top-rated Tasmanian since entering the list in December 2013. I've backdated my records of the top ten ratings accordingly.

The current Tasmanian top ten is Loh, Small, Markovitz (who I think has moved to NZ), Rout, Bonham, Donnelly, McMahon, Carter, Macfarlan, D Rolph.

Of the 28 players who appeared on the top ten list between April 99 and Dec 05 I am the only one currently still there, and only two of the others are still active within the state.

James Peirce
09-06-2015, 01:20 PM
Current Tasmanian Top 20 (Quick)
1. David Small 2290?
2. Neil Markovitz 2189?
3. Kevin Bonham 1998!!
4. Ian Rout 1982!
5. Charles Chadwick 1874?
6. Denis McMahon 1869!!
7. Felix Ellis 1854!!
8. Mason Carter 1809
9. Reg Harvey 1781!
10. Peter Lucas 1740!!
11. Nigel Lewis 1737!!
12. David J Rolph 1712!
13. James Peirce 1696!!
14. Scott Cohen 1682!
15. Neville Ledger 1681!
16. David Hughes 1673!!
17. Russell Horton 1669!!
18. Davis Kim 1626?
19. Milutin Ivkovic 1624!
20.Dylan Kuzmic 1620!!

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2015, 12:09 AM
Alastair Dyer has returned to the active list after playing in the August Masters. He's listed as #1 in the state on the ACF list but that's only because Joshua Loh hasn't yet been transferred to Tas.

The new TTT is Loh, Dyer, Small, Markovitz, Rout, Bonham, Donnelly, McMahon, Carter and Macfarlan. Colin Bemrose is listed as active and between Donnelly and McMahon but I believe has moved to another state.

James Peirce
01-09-2015, 08:26 AM
Top 10 Tasmanian Quick Ratings
1.David Small 2290?
2.Neil Markovitz 2189?
3.Kevin Bonham 1957!!
4.Ian Rout 1919!!
5.Denis McMahon 1878!!
6.Charles Chadwick 1875?
7.David J Rolph 1831!!
8.Mason Carter 1810?
9.Felix Ellis 1793!!
10. James Peirce 1791!!

James Peirce
02-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Comparing June and September Top 20 Quick Ratings(TAS)
(June)
1. David Small 2290?
2. Neil Markovitz 2189?
3. Kevin Bonham 1998!!
4. Ian Rout 1982!
5. Charles Chadwick 1874?
6. Denis McMahon 1869!!
7. Felix Ellis 1854!!
8. Mason Carter 1809
9. Reg Harvey 1781!
10. Peter Lucas 1740!!
11. Nigel Lewis 1737!!
12. David J Rolph 1712!
13. James Peirce 1696!!
14. Scott Cohen 1682!
15. Neville Ledger 1681!
16. David Hughes 1673!!
17. Russell Horton 1669!!
18. Davis Kim 1626?
19. Milutin Ivkovic 1624!
20.Dylan Kuzmic 1620!!
(September)
1.David Small 2290?
2.Neil Markovitz 2189?
3.Kevin Bonham 1957!!
4.Ian Rout 1919!!
5.Denis McMahon 1878!!
6.Charles Chadwick 1875?
7.David J Rolph 1831!!
8.Mason Carter 1810?
9.Felix Ellis 1793!!
10.James Peirce 1791!!
11.Reg Harvey 1741!!
12.Peter Lucas 1741!!
13.Nigel Lewis 1728!!
14.Charlie Rolph 1720!
15.Dylan Kuzmic 1709!!
16.Scott Cohen 1682!
17.Neville Ledger 1681!
18.Russell Horton 1665!!
19.David Hughes 1658!!
20.Davis Kim 1627?

James Peirce
02-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Big movers in the September Quick Top 20(TAS)
David Rolph up from 1712(position 12) to 1831(position 7)
James Peirce up from 1696(position 13) to 1791(position 10)
Dylan Kuzmic up from 1620(position 20) to 1709(position 15)
Felix Ellis down from 1854(position 7) to 1793(position 9)
Kevin Bonham down from 1998 to 1957(still position 3)
Ian Rout down from 1982 to 1919(still position 4)

Ian Rout
02-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Big movers in the September Quick Top 20(TAS)
Ian Rout down from 1982 to 1919(still position 4)

Yes, I did think that was a little harsh from a record of something like +11 =3 -1 (from memory - maybe it was an overly selective memory), but as my real rating went up more than I expected I'm not unhappy.

James Peirce
02-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Yes, I did think that was a little harsh from a record of something like +11 =3 -1 (from memory - maybe it was an overly selective memory), but as my real rating went up more than I expected I'm not unhappy. That could be right as you played 15 rated Quick games(one was a draw vs Me rated 1696 at the time)

Kevin Bonham
02-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Joshua Loh should be slotted in at #4 on the quick list (1941) - he was erroneously registered as OS by me when he first played in Tas and hasn't been switched over yet.

Yes, I did think that was a little harsh from a record of something like +11 =3 -1 (from memory - maybe it was an overly selective memory), but as my real rating went up more than I expected I'm not unhappy.

I was also a little surprised to lose 41 quick rating points after scoring +19=3-2. I did however drop 2.5 points to substantially lower-rated players and I also had several very low rated opponents in that mix.

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2015, 09:57 AM
The new TTT is Loh, Dyer, Small, Markovitz, Rout, Bonham, Donnelly, McMahon, Carter and Macfarlan. Colin Bemrose is listed as active and between Donnelly and McMahon but I believe has moved to another state.

Compiling a Tasmanian Top Ten is increasingly subjective because Loh is now going overseas as well (and I believe Markovitz moved to NZ last year). I'll remove Loh from the list next time assuming this is correct (he's always been listed as OS on the ACF list) but for the meantime the only change is at position 10 with Charlie Rolph (1689) cracking the top ten for the first time.

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2016, 12:07 AM
With Loh removed from the list for the reason stated above and Phil Donnelly off the list for inactivity, Peter Lucas returns to the top 10 for the first time in two years and Felix Ellis is on the list for the first time.

The new TTT is Dyer, Small, Markovitz, Rout, Bonham, McMahon, Carter, C Rolph, Lucas, Ellis.

The Quick list for Tasmania has a very lopsided look with David Small currently #1 by 354 points. The top ten on the Quick list are Small, Rout, McMahon, Chadwick, Bonham, Peirce, Carter, Ellis, Lucas, C Rolph.

James Peirce
07-03-2016, 07:52 PM
Not all the players in the top 10 have ! or !! ratings i presume?
In the quick list Small,Chadwick,Carter have a ? next to their name and Ellis hasn't been seen since December.
(or i am just trying to move my ranking up:lol:)

Kevin Bonham
07-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Not all the players in the top 10 have ! or !! ratings i presume?

No but that isn't required for listing in a state top-10. It is required for the national Top Players list.

idledim
07-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Ellis hasn't been seen since December.

For the record, James: Felix played his last game at Devonport on 13/8/15. If no-one has seen him since December, I suggest we call the authorities.

James Peirce
08-03-2016, 06:56 AM
For the record, James: Felix played his last game at Devonport on 13/8/15. If no-one has seen him since December, I suggest we call the authorities.
Hasn't been seen at a CHESS tournament since december(approximately)

Kevin Bonham
01-06-2016, 12:14 AM
With Small and Markovitz off the list for inactivity there's been quite a shake-up in the Tasmanian top ten which is now at its lowest average rating (1761) since before the 2000 uplift.

The new TTT is Dyer, Rout, Bonham, Carter, McMahon, D Rolph, Lucas, Ellis, Hughes and D Kuzmic. David Hughes and Dylan Kuzmic are first-time entrants to the list and Carter, McMahon, D Rolph and Ellis are all at their highest positions so far.

James Peirce is at #11 (and 14 points away from passing what remains of my Quick rating.)

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2016, 11:36 AM
As expected Martin Friebe has gone straight to the top of the list which is now Friebe, Dyer, Rout, Bonham, McMahon, D Rolph, Lucas, Ellis, Peirce, Lee. (Carter now inactive). James Peirce and Kam Lee make the list for the first time (in Lee's case following his 4/4 in the August Masters - a win over Ian Rout counting for quite a lot given his limited activity!)

Kevin Bonham
02-12-2016, 11:04 AM
The new Tasmanian top ten list unusually contains two ties. It is Friebe, Dyer equal with Rout, Bonham, D Rolph, Lucas, Ellis, McMahon equal with Lee, Smith. Andrew Smith enters the list for the first time.

The quick top ten is Small, Rout, Friebe, Dyer, McMahon, Peirce, Chadwick, Bonham, D Rolph, Ellis.

ER
03-12-2016, 05:03 AM
What? Ian Little and Aidan Cox on neither list???
How far are they from the top ten then?
Actually can we have a more complete presentation of lists with ratings and clubs of players please?

Kevin Bonham
03-12-2016, 06:49 AM

#17 and #26 (standard) and #19 and #16 (quick) respectively.

Actually can we have a more complete presentation of lists with ratings and clubs of players please?

Not from me. This is all I feel like doing in this regard. Time is very important to me.

ER
03-12-2016, 08:17 AM
#17 and #26 (standard) and #19 and #16 (quick) respectively.

Not from me. This is all I feel like doing in this regard. Time is very important to me.

Thanks anyway, I will do some search by myself!

squashaddict
07-12-2016, 12:37 AM

I'm glad you share my outrage Elliott :) Alas my chess skills are lagging behind my outrage.

ER
07-12-2016, 02:15 AM
I'm glad you share my outrage Elliott :) Alas my chess skills are lagging behind my outrage.

you 'll get there son, don't you worry! :)

James Peirce
01-03-2017, 10:34 AM
March Tasmanian Top 10(Quick)
1. David Small 2329?
2. Ian Rout 2145!
3. Martin Friebe 2065
4. Alastair Dyer 2044
5. Toby Straton 1977
6. James Peirce 1963!!
7. Dennis McMahon 1959!!
8. Kevin Bonham 1905!!
9. David Rolph 1825!!
10. Aidan Cox 1805!

Congratulations to Aidan Cox on finally making it to the top 10!

squashaddict
01-03-2017, 04:12 PM
It appears my decision to travel down to Hobart rather then Devonport was a good one! My blitz always has been better than my rapid :)

James Peirce
02-03-2017, 08:54 AM
March Tasmanian Top 10(Classic)
1. Martin Friebe 2087
2. Ian Rout 1942!
3. Alastair Dyer 1941
4. Kevin Bonham 1916!
5. David Rolph 1684!
6. Peter Lucas 1664!
7. Felix Ellis 1661??
8. Denis McMahon 1651!
8. Kam Lee 1651
10. Andrew Smith 1635!
and im stuck at number 11 with a rating of 1618
What is interesting is the huge gap of 232 points between number 4 and 5 and that 1-4 and 5-10 are all grouped together ratings wise

James Peirce
01-06-2017, 08:46 AM
June Tasmanian Top 10 (Quick)
1. David Small 2329?
2. Ian Rout 2102!
3. Martin Friebe 2065
4. Alastair Dyer 2044?
5. James Peirce 1956!!
6. Denis McMahon 1954!!
7. Toby Straton 1905!
8. Kevin Bonham 1900!!
9. David Rolph 1825!
10. Andrew Smith 1820!

James Peirce
01-06-2017, 08:50 AM
1. Martin Friebe 2086?
2. Ian Rout 1976!
3. Alastair Dyer 1941
4. Kevin Bonham 1917!
5. Denis McMahon 1702!!
6. David Rolph 1683!
7. Peter Lucas 1664
8. Kam Lee 1651
9. Ian Little 1639!!
10(Equal). James Peirce 1635
10(Equal). Andrew Smith 1635

James Peirce
01-06-2017, 08:54 AM
It appears my decision to travel down to Hobart rather then Devonport was a good one! My blitz always has been better than my rapid :)
You only went down 10 points and dropped from 10th to 12th, seems rather unfair to me!

idledim
01-06-2017, 09:10 AM
I'm guessing the system had reset Michael Baldini as unrated (probably on the 2nd. anniversary of Neville's tournament), since it now seems to show he's only played 1 rated game (vis. his win for us in the Ledger Interclub). On current form, he should be somewhere in the Tas. top 10 (IMHO).

Ian Rout
02-06-2017, 01:21 PM
I'm guessing the system had reset Michael Baldini as unrated (probably on the 2nd. anniversary of Neville's tournament), since it now seems to show he's only played 1 rated game (vis. his win for us in the Ledger Interclub).A little harsh if so. Completed ratings hang around no matter how long since the last game. We periodically hear pensioners being indignant at suggestions that their twenty year old ratings may be not entirely meaningful.

idledim
02-06-2017, 02:34 PM
My guess was based on this from the ACF Ratings page:

Players are reset as unrated if:

They have played less than 9 rated games in total and have not played in the last 2 years.

Kevin Bonham
02-06-2017, 06:29 PM
I'm guessing the system had reset Michael Baldini as unrated (probably on the 2nd. anniversary of Neville's tournament), since it now seems to show he's only played 1 rated game (vis. his win for us in the Ledger Interclub). On current form, he should be somewhere in the Tas. top 10 (IMHO).

It's unfortunate. There are not that many classic-rated tournaments and over the years Michael plays in one every now and then but never two close enough together to get a rating.

At least his quick rating is available for seeding purposes.

Kevin Bonham
03-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Posts on the WA top lists thread have drawn my attention to the excellent historic resource that is The Gap Chess Club's list of scanned ACF ratings booklets:

http://www.thegapchessclub.org.au/ratings/ratings.htm#acf

For those with an interest in historic Tasmanian ratings, I should note that there was a period of chaos in the mid-1990s. Many tournaments were not being submitted for ratings for whatever reason. This was finally fixed in the April 1997 rating list (http://www.thegapchessclub.org.au/ratings/acf/1997-04_ACF_Ratings.pdf) when 16 Tasmanian tournaments from 1995 and 1996 were processed simultaneously, resulting in Tasmanians swamping the "busiest players" lists.

Here is a revised copy of the list from #1, now covering 1997-now:

HP L#1 WP LI Avg
Dowden 1 18 3 29 1.45
Loh 1 9 1 9 1
Wagg 1 9 2 12 1.25
Sakov 1 8 10 26 3.19
Small 1 7 4 21 2.38
Bemrose 1 5 3 7 1.43
Dyer 1 5 9 29 3.14
Friebe 1 4 1 4 1
Markovitz 1 4 5 35 3.11
Hornung 1 3 6 12 2.83
Bonham 1 2 8 76 4.33
Knight 1 2 10 41 4.71
Kerr 2 0 2 2 2
Oriol 2 0 6 15 3.27
Rout 2 0 8 13 4.15
Fearnley-Sander 2 0 7 9 4.56
Pavicic 2 0 9 28 6.14
Browne 3 0 3 1 3
Billam 3 0 6 11 4.64
Premilovac 3 0 9 19 5.37
Steward 3 0 9 18 5.61
Todd 3 0 9 16 5.94
Lucas 3 0 9 25 6.24
Rezaie 3 0 10 17 6.82
Gibbs 3 0 10 31 7.52
Anderson 4 0 4 2 4
Kacic 4 0 10 25 7.08
Donnelly 4 0 10 19 7.63
Carter 4 0 9 7 7.71
Frame 4 0 10 52 7.83
Chadwick 4 0 10 30 8.33
Rothlisberger 5 0 9 16 6.81
Rolph D 5 0 10 10 7.6
McMahon 5 0 10 19 7.74
Nagy 6 0 9 6 6.83
Djekanovic 7 0 8 2 7.5
Ellis 7 0 10 5 8
Macfarlan 7 0 10 11 8.18
Lee 8 0 10 4 8.5
Hendrey 8 0 9 6 8.83
Stubbs 8 0 10 3 9
M Bretag 8 0 10 9 9
Rolph C 8 0 10 2 9
Harvey 9 0 9 3 9
George 9 0 9 1 9
Hughes 9 0 9 1 9
Little 9 0 9 1 9
Peirce 9 0 10 2 9.5
Radosavljevic 9 0 10 5 9.8
Hannon 10 0 10 1 10
L Bretag 10 0 10 2 10
Horton, R 10 0 10 2 10
Saunders 10 0 10 2 10
Kuzmic D 10 0 10 1 10
Smith 10 0 10 3 10
Berzins 10 0 10 3 10

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Reg Harvey back in the classic top ten at a high of #6 after winning the Burnie Club Championships; he was last in the list in December 2004. Scott Cohen in the top ten for the first time after a strong second in the Hobart Club Champs.

The new Tasmanian classic top ten based on the unofficial lists is Friebe, Dyer, Rout, Bonham, McMahon, Harvey, Peirce, D Rolph, Cohen and Smith.

James Peirce
01-09-2017, 10:08 AM
September Tasmanian Top 10 (Quick)
1. David Small 2329??
2. Martin Friebe 2065?
3. Ian Rout 2046!
4. Alastair Dyer 2044?
5. James Peirce 1941!!
6. Kevin Bonham 1907!!
7. Toby Straton 1905
8. Denis McMahon 1884!!
9. Aidan Cox 1833!!
10. David Rolph 1825!

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Surprised my Quick rating went up; I won the Rapid but both my blitz tournaments this period were longer and not very good.

James Peirce
01-09-2017, 10:13 AM
September Tasmanian Top 10 (Classical)
1. Martin Friebe 2086?
2. Alistair Dyer 1941
3. Ian Rout 1940!!
4. Kevin Bonham 1908!!
5. Denis McMahon 1729!!
6. Reg Harvey 1711!!
7. James Peirce 1689!
8. David Rolph 1683!
9. Scott Cohen 1659!
10. Andrew Smith 1644

James Peirce
01-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Surprised my Quick rating went up; I won the Rapid but both my blitz tournaments this period were longer and not very good.
Now only 1 point separates your Classical and Quick rating!

idledim
04-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Is there a reason for Tan Thanh Nguyen not appearing in the Top Ten Quick list? (1883). He was deemed eligible enough for the State Lightning title.

Kevin Bonham
04-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Is there a reason for Tan Thanh Nguyen not appearing in the Top Ten Quick list? (1883). He was deemed eligible enough for the State Lightning title.

He has not yet been transferred from NSW to Tas on the ratings list. I requested he be transferred but it usually takes one rating cycle for these changes to take effect, sometimes longer.

When I compile my classic Top Ten list I take account of players who are incorrectly listed and either include or omit them as appropriate. However I am not tracking the quick list.

By the way on the revised classic list the active players have generally lost 3 points from the list with ratings above.

Kevin Bonham
22-10-2017, 02:14 PM
There was an unusual bug in the processing of ratings of the 2017 Hobart Champs that has resulted in a number of players becoming a bit underrated, and this will be fixed on the December ACF ratings list.

The bug resulted from the event being submitted when one game had not been played in order to make the previous ratings list. The missing result caused Vega to treat all the last round games as double losses. Players who won in the final round are particularly affected.

For the purposes of these lists I'll just update when December comes out, but I'm around where Alastair and Ian are and Scott is around where Reg is.

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2017, 08:33 AM
The most important news in Tassie ratings this quarter is that Michael Baldini finally has a classic rating!

The classic top ten is Friebe, Bonham, Dyer, Rout, McMahon, Peirce, Harvey, Cohen, Nguyen and D Rolph. (Nguyen still listed under NSW).

I was last number 2 in June 2007 and won't be there much longer! There will be more shakeups next quarter.

The quick top ten is Pirotais (2443??), Friebe, Dyer, Rout, Pearce, Straton, McMahon, Nguyen, Bonham, D Rolph

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2018, 07:26 AM
Jerome Pirotais has still played only 7 Classic games so doesn't have an ACF rating yet.

The new top ten is Friebe, Bonham, Dyer, Rout, McMahon, Peirce, Harvey, Cohen, D Rolph and Straton. Straton's rating is pulled down by old games; he is stronger than 1659. I haven't counted Bemrose who is still listed under Tasmania but hasn't lived here for a long time.

The new quick top ten is Small (2416), Pirotais (2399), Friebe, Rout, Dyer, Peirce, Straton, McMahon, Bonham, Nguyen.

[edit: I believe these are being reviewed]

Kevin Bonham
01-06-2018, 01:05 AM
Ian Rout is the new Tasmanian number 1, the first time he has been on top. Martin Friebe has fallen off the main list for inactivity and Jerome Pirotais still doesn't yet have enough main list games. Toby Straton jumps six places off his Tas Champs equal first (and is still in my view a little bit underrated!)

The new top ten is: Rout, Dyer, Bonham, Straton, McMahon, Peirce, Cohen, Harvey, Lee, Smith. (Again: Bemrose not counted, not in Tasmania.)

The new quick top ten is: Small, Pirotais, Friebe, Rout, Dyer, Bonham, Peirce, Straton, McMahon and Cox.

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2018, 01:04 AM
Jerome Pirotais is the new Tasmanian number 1 as he finally has enough main list games. The other new entries are Dylan Kuzmic off a strong Burnie club championships (second behind Ian Rout in terms of raw scores, not sure about the conversion formula!) and Aidan Cox finally making it in in equal tenth place.

The new top ten is: Pirotais, Rout, Bonham, Straton, McMahon, Peirce, Cohen, D Kuzmic, Harvey, Lee tied with Cox. (Again: Bemrose not counted, not in Tasmania.)

The new quick top ten is: Small, Pirotais, Rout, Straton, Bonham, Dyer, Peirce, McMahon, Cox and D Kuzmic.

Kevin Bonham
02-12-2018, 07:45 PM
There were no changes to the Tasmanian classic top ten in the current list because no tournaments were rated and no-one in the top ten became inactive.

The new quick top ten is: Small, Pirotais, Rout, Straton, Dyer, Bonham, Peirce, McMahon, Wagg and Cox.

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2019, 12:12 AM
There were again no changes to the top ten (with only 2 players active) except that Derek Roebuck reappeared in 4th place, but I assume he played outside Tasmania, so I'm not including him in my tracking at this stage. (I'm also unsure whether we'll see any more of Jerome here - he may have left the state - so it may be Ian Rout is the real #1 now).

The new quick top ten is Small, Pirotais, Rout, Straton, Dyer, Peirce, McMahon, Bonham, Wagg, Harvey. I fall two places on account of a poor Aus Blitz and Harvey comes in after winning the Burnie blitz with a perfect score.

pappubahry
01-03-2019, 04:24 PM
except that Derek Roebuck reappeared in 4th place, but I assume he played outside Tasmania
Yes, he played in the Perth Open (and is also playing at the Metro club here).

rob
30-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Yes, he played in the Perth Open (and is also playing at the Metro club here).

Yes Derek Roebuck will appear as WA in the June 2019 rating.

Kevin Bonham
01-06-2019, 01:27 AM
I'm treating Jerome as having left the state though he is still listed as Tas for now; on that basis:

The classic active top ten is Rout, Bonham, Straton, McMahon, Peirce, D Kuzmic, Cox, Nguyen, Baldini (new entry) and Harvey. Cohen and Lee are temporarily off based on the active list time limit but both are playing in the Hobart Champs at the moment.

The quick active top ten is Small, Rout, Straton, Bonham, D Kuzmic, Dyer, Peirce, McMahon, Nguyen and Harvey tied with Wagg.

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2019, 10:45 PM
A mere fifteen and a half years since my only previous spell at the top (six months) I've made it back again by two points, but with the lowest #1 rating for Tasmania since the 150 point uplift. Tas Open winner Yang Liu debuts at 5.

The new Tassie Top 10 is Bonham, Rout, Straton, McMahon, Liu, Harvey, D Kuzmic, Cox, Cohen, Nugyen
The new Tassie Quick Top 10 is Small, Rout, Straton, Bonham, Rumley and D Kuzmic tied, Dyer, McMahon, Peirce and Liu.

James Peirce
01-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Tasmanian Top 10 Quick Ratings
1. David Small 2399?
2. Ian Rout 2156!!
3. Toby Straton 2107!!
4. Kevin Bonham 2029!!
5. William Rumley 1965!!
5. Dylan Kuzmic 1965!!
7. Alastair Dyer 1954?
8. Denis McMahon 1919!!
9. James Peirce 1900!
10. Yang Liu 1880!
Still trying to figure out how i only lost 5 ratings point when i had a 1750-1800 performance at the recent Tas Rapid.:owned:

Bill Gletsos
01-09-2019, 10:33 AM
Still trying to figure out how i only lost 5 ratings point when i had a 1750-1800 performance at the recent Tas Rapid.:owned:Because your performance rating was actually between 1840-1900.

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2019, 02:51 PM
I estimated a TPR for James but it would have been based just on raw ratings and not taking into account !!, ?, interim ratings etc. So a Glicko PR would have marked him down less for the draw against Patrick who has a much less reliable rating than some of his other opponents.

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2019, 12:27 AM
With only one classic tournament processed there were relatively minor changes in the classic order for Tasmania this month. The new classic top ten is Bonham, Rout, Straton, McMahon, Harvey, D Kuzmic, Cox, Liu, Cohen, Nugyen. Reg Harvey is at his highest position so far.

David Small is now off the Quick list for inactivity for now so the new quick top ten is Rout, Straton, Bonham, Rumley, Peirce, Liu, D Kuzmic, McMahon, Harvey, Cox. In January I will as usual donate at least 100 Quick points to other entrants in the Aus Blitz.

James Peirce
01-12-2019, 08:10 AM
My decision to only play in the Launceston Cup and not the Lightning seems to have payed off:D, is the ratings for both top 10's out yet?
EDIT; Im blind��

James Peirce
01-12-2019, 08:34 AM
Tasmanian Top 10 Quick Ratings (December)
1. Ian Rout 2199!!
2. Toby Straton 2121!!
3. Kevin Bonham 2031!!
4. William Rumley 1965
5. James Peirce 1942!
6. Yang Liu 1932!
7. Dylan Kuzmic 1922!!
8. Denis McMahon 1901!!
9. Reg Harvey 1895!!
10. Aidan Cox 1894

Kevin Bonham
29-02-2020, 11:00 PM
The March Tasmanian classic top ten is unchanged, nobody played a rated game.

The March Quick top ten is Rout, Straton, Bonham, Peirce, Liu, D Kuzmic, Cox, Nguyen and Rumley tied with Harvey.

Kevin Bonham
31-05-2020, 11:13 PM
The June Tasmanian top ten is unchanged.

The June Quick top ten is Rout, Straton, Bonham, Peirce, Liu, D Kuzmic, Rumley, Cox, R Harvey and new listing Marius Reika.

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2020, 10:16 PM
The new classic top ten is Bonham, Rout, Straton, McMahon, D Kuzmic (career high 5th), Harvey, Cox, Liu, Cohen and making his debut in the classic top ten Will Rumley.

The quick top ten is unchanged with no games processed.

James Peirce
30-11-2020, 10:40 AM
I get the feeling the top 10 quick could look rather different with the December ratings list.

Kevin Bonham
30-11-2020, 11:07 AM
I get the feeling the top 10 quick could look rather different with the December ratings list.

I'm not even sure I'll still be in it.

James Peirce
30-11-2020, 11:14 AM
I'm not even sure I'll still be in it.

Pretty sure Eddy Amos will be in it, for his Launceston Cup+Lightning performance using Paxman's ELO calculator he gets a TPR of 1943. I'm not aware of him playing any other rated quick games outside of those.

Kevin Bonham
30-11-2020, 11:36 AM
David Small will come back on the list, I think still at #1 despite a loss to me, and Rares-Daniel Ocoleanu will go on it with a high rating c/- one extremely strong event. Will Rumley should go into the top five.

James Peirce
30-11-2020, 11:39 AM
I think the top 10 will have the most 2000+ rated players in a while and the highest rating of the number 10 player. (And probably the youngest average age ever! :lol: )

idledim
30-11-2020, 04:11 PM
Pretty sure Eddy Amos will be in it, for his Launceston Cup+Lightning performance using Paxman's ELO calculator he gets a TPR of 1943. I'm not aware of him playing any other rated quick games outside of those.

According to the vega files, Eddy's TPR was 1806 for the Lightning and 1571 for the Cup.

James Peirce
30-11-2020, 04:29 PM
According to the vega files, Eddy's TPR was 1806 for the Lightning and 1571 for the Cup.

Are you sure that's correct? 10/11 for the Lightning getting a TPR of 1806 seems awfully low. With his only loss being to you and beating Toby I assume his TPR would be at least 1900. I excluded all his games against unrated players when using the calculator, perhaps vega is treating those unrated players as having a 0 rating?

James Peirce
30-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Ran it through the calculator again http://paxmans.net/performance_calc.php, for the Lightning he gets 8/9 from rated games (Duboudin and Savitha are unrated) for a TPR of 2055 or 2038 depending on method.

For the Cup it's 3/6 (Bryan is unrated) for a TPR of 1600 or 1603 depending on method.

pappubahry
30-11-2020, 04:48 PM
Vega doesn't calculate true performance ratings, it calculates FIDE-style performance ratings, which are not the same. (The FIDE/Vega calculations typically go wildly wrong when someone has one or more very low-rated opponents.)

James Peirce
30-11-2020, 05:00 PM
Vega doesn't calculate true performance ratings, it calculates FIDE-style performance ratings, which are not the same. (The FIDE/Vega calculations typically go wildly wrong when someone has one or more very low-rated opponents.)

That explains it, one of Eddy's opponents (played against in both tournaments) is rated a bit under 600

idledim
30-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Are you sure that's correct? 10/11 for the Lightning getting a TPR of 1806 seems awfully low. With his only loss being to you and beating Toby I assume his TPR would be at least 1900. I excluded all his games against unrated players when using the calculator, perhaps vega is treating those unrated players as having a 0 rating?

Yes, I am sure.

Launceston Cup 2020
Launceston - 07/11/2020, 08/11/2020

Rating variation at round 7

N NAME K Rtg var Per.Rtg
---------------------------------------------------------
1 Rout,Ian C 0 2174 0 1571
2 Straton,Toby 0 2060 0 1966
3 Peirce,James 0 1942 0 2054
4 McMahon,Denis 0 1859 0 1775
5 Djatschenko,Addison 0 1624 0 1282
6 Patrick,John 0 1581 0 1696
7 Swan,Owen 0 1580 0 1414
8 Duboudin,Christian 0 1542 0 1571
9 Amos,Eddy 0 1530 0 1571
10 Brown,Monty 0 1477 0 1243
11 Fry,Dallas 0 1467 0 1349
12 Bryan,Jonathon 0 1450 0 1191
13 Keerthiratne,Himash 0 1298 0 1667
14 Mapitigamaarachchi,S 0 1120 0 1529
15 Campbell,Andrew 0 1053 0 1148
16 Beeton,Luwanna 0 929 0 1207
17 Beeton,Bayani 0 577 0 1305

Generated by Vega - www.vegachess.com
(copy licensed to: Devonport Chess Club - AUS)

Launceston Open Lightning 2020
Launceston - 07/11/2020, 07/11/2020

Rating variation at round 11

N NAME K Rtg var Per.Rtg
1 Straton,Toby 0 2060 0 1636
2 McMahon,Denis 0 1859 0 1568
3 Djatschenko,Addison 0 1624 0 1450
4 Patrick,John 0 1581 0 1483
5 Swan,Owen 0 1580 0 1680
6 Duboudin,Christian 0 1542 0 1319
7 Amos,Eddy 0 1530 0 1806
8 Brown,Monty 0 1477 0 1252
9 Keerthiratne,Himash 0 1298 0 1509
10 Mapitigamaarachchi,S 0 1120 0 1198
11 Beeton,Luwanna 0 929 0 1094
12 Beeton,Bayani 0 577 0 1126

pappubahry
30-11-2020, 06:37 PM
True performance ratings from my calculator (https://pappubahry.com/misc/tpr_vega/):

Pos NAME Rtg Perf T Fed Pts | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Buc1 BucT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Peirce,James 1942 2195 TAS 6.0 | +B12 +W6 +B8 +W2 +B3 =W4 =B7 | 26.5 29.5
2 Straton,Toby 2060 2047 TAS 5.5 | +W15 +B9 +W3 -B1 =B7 +W6 +B4 | 26.5 28.0
3 McMahon,Denis 1859 1857 TAS 5.0 | +W13 +B10 -B2 +W6 -W1 +B11 +W9 | 24.5 27.0
4 Patrick,John 1581 1741 TAS 4.5 | -W10 +B13 +W15 +B8 +W9 =B1 -W2 | 24.0 25.5
5 Keerthiratne,Himash 1298 1681 TAS 4.5 | -W11 +B7 -W13 +B15 +W8 =B9 +B10 | 19.0 20.5
6 Duboudin,Christian 1542 1707 TAS 4.0 | +W14 -B1 +W10 -B3 +W12 -B2 +W11 | 25.0 27.0
7 Rout,Ian C 2174 1548 TAS 4.0 | -B8 -W5 +BYE +B10 =W2 +B15 =W1 | 24.5 26.0
8 Amos,Eddy 1530 1654 TAS 4.0 | +W7 +B11 -W1 -W4 -B5 +B13 +W14 | 24.0 26.0
9 Swan,Owen 1580 1447 TAS 3.5 | +B16 -W2 +B14 +W12 -B4 =W5 -B3 | 24.5 26.0
10 Mapitigamaarachchi,Savitha 1120 1454 TAS 3.0 | +B4 -W3 -B6 -W7 +BYE +B12 -W5 | 24.5 26.5
11 Djatschenko,Addison 1624 1297 TAS 3.0 | +B5 -W8 -B12 +W16 +B14 -W3 -B6 | 22.5 24.0
12 Fry,Dallas 1467 1307 TAS 3.0 | -W1 +B17 +W11 -B9 -B6 -W10 +W16 | 22.0 23.5
13 Bryan,Jonathon 1450 1125 TAS 3.0 | -B3 -W4 +B5 -W14 +B16 -W8 +BYE | 22.0 23.5
14 Beeton,Bayani 577 1299 TAS 3.0 | -B6 +BYE -W9 +B13 -W11 +BYE -B8 | 19.5 22.0
15 Brown,Monty 1477 941 TAS 2.0 | -B2 +W16 -B4 -W5 +BYE -W7 -B17 | 23.0 24.5
16 Campbell,Andrew 1053 1050 TAS 2.0 | -W9 -B15 +W17 -B11 -W13 +BYE -B12 | 16.5 18.0
17 Beeton,Luwanna 929 1184 TAS 2.0 | -- -W12 -B16 +BYE -BYE -BYE +W15 | 15.5 17.0

Pos N NAME Elo Perf T Fed Pts | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 7 Amos,Eddy 1530 2068 TAS 10.0 | * 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
2 1 Straton,Toby 2060 1782 TAS 9.0 | 0 * 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
3 5 Swan,Owen 1580 1868 TAS 9.0 | 0 1 * 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1
4 2 McMahon,Denis 1859 1684 TAS 8.0 | 1 0 0 * 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1
5 4 Patrick,John 1581 1561 TAS 6.5 | 0 0 0 0 * 1 1 1 1 1 1
6 9 Keerthiratne,Himash 1298 1596 TAS 6.5 | 0 0 1 0 * 0 1 1 1 1 1
7 3 Djatschenko,Addison 1624 1503 TAS 6.0 | 0 0 0 1 0 1 * 0 1 1 1 1
8 6 Duboudin,Christian 1542 1285 TAS 4.0 | 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 * 0 1 1 1
9 8 Brown,Monty 1477 1147 TAS 3.0 | 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 * 0 1 1
10 10 Mapitigamaarachchi,S 1120 1019 TAS 2.0 | 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 * 0 1
11 11 Beeton,Luwanna 929 777 TAS 1.0 | 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 * 0
12 12 Beeton,Bayani 577 922 TAS 1.0 | 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 *

idledim
30-11-2020, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the calculator, Pappubahry - much appreciated (and certainly more useful than questioning whether a disinterested reporter doing disinterested reporting of the vega numbers had reported those numbers correctly).

Bill Gletsos
30-11-2020, 11:47 PM
Yes, I am sure.

Launceston Cup 2020
Launceston - 07/11/2020, 08/11/2020

Rating variation at round 7

N NAME K Rtg var Per.Rtg
1 Rout,Ian C 0 2174 0 1571
2 Straton,Toby 0 2060 0 1966
3 Peirce,James 0 1942 0 2054
4 McMahon,Denis 0 1859 0 1775
5 Djatschenko,Addison 0 1624 0 1282
6 Patrick,John 0 1581 0 1696
7 Swan,Owen 0 1580 0 1414
8 Duboudin,Christian 0 1542 0 1571
9 Amos,Eddy 0 1530 0 1571
10 Brown,Monty 0 1477 0 1243
11 Fry,Dallas 0 1467 0 1349
12 Bryan,Jonathon 0 1450 0 1191
13 Keerthiratne,Himash 0 1298 0 1667
14 Mapitigamaarachchi,S 0 1120 0 1529
15 Campbell,Andrew 0 1053 0 1148
16 Beeton,Luwanna 0 929 0 1207
17 Beeton,Bayani 0 577 0 1305

Launceston Open Lightning 2020
Launceston - 07/11/2020, 07/11/2020

Rating variation at round 11

N NAME K Rtg var Per.Rtg
1 Straton,Toby 0 2060 0 1636
2 McMahon,Denis 0 1859 0 1568
3 Djatschenko,Addison 0 1624 0 1450
4 Patrick,John 0 1581 0 1483
5 Swan,Owen 0 1580 0 1680
6 Duboudin,Christian 0 1542 0 1319
7 Amos,Eddy 0 1530 0 1806
8 Brown,Monty 0 1477 0 1252
9 Keerthiratne,Himash 0 1298 0 1509
10 Mapitigamaarachchi,S 0 1120 0 1198
11 Beeton,Luwanna 0 929 0 1094
12 Beeton,Bayani 0 577 0 1126

(copy licensed to: Devonport Chess Club - AUS)Since Duboudin is ACF/FIDE unrated, where did his 1542 rating come from?

idledim
01-12-2020, 12:00 AM
Since Duboudin is ACF/FIDE unrated, where did his 1542 rating come from?

It was his chess.com Rapid rating when the event was played and was accepted as a reasonable estimate because it was derived mostly from his participation in online events organised for the TCA - and because that was the only guiding info. we had.

James Peirce
01-12-2020, 06:33 AM
December Ratings List Top 10 (Standard)
1. Kevin Bonham 2029!
2. Ian Rout 1967!
3. Toby Straton 1772
4. Denis McMahon 1743!
5. Dylan Kuzmic 1666!
6. Reg Harvey 1660!
7. Aidan Cox 1657?
8. Nigel Lewis 1655!
9. Yang Liu 1647?
10. Scott Cohen 1638

James Peirce
01-12-2020, 06:39 AM
December Ratings List Top 10 (Quick)
1. David H Small 2336?
2. Ian Rout 2060!
2. Rares-Daniel Ocoleanu 2060
4. Toby Straton 2059!!
5. William Rumley 2053!!
6. James Peirce 2008!
7. Kevin Bonham 1968!!
8. Yang Liu 1932
9. Dylan Kuzmic 1896!
10. Aidan Cox 1894

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2020, 09:27 AM
Thanks James for posting the lists. That's the debut for Nigel Lewis in the classic top ten.

James Peirce
27-02-2021, 12:09 PM
I'm curious what will happen with my quick rating, since the only tournament I played between December and now I had 5/5 vs rated players but 0.5/2 versus unrated/no games (one has a Standard rating) :hmm:

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2021, 12:58 AM
Only one classic tournament rated for this period but all the Hobart players around the top ten have gained points. The new top ten is Bonham, Rout, Straton, McMahon, Cohen, Rumley, Nguyen, D Kuzmic, Harvey and Lewis. Cohen, Rumley and Nguyen are all at the highest positions they have been at.

The new quick top ten is Small, Dyer, Peirce, Ocoleanu, Straton, Rout, Bonham, Amos, Rumley and Lim.

James Peirce
01-03-2021, 08:35 AM
March Ratings List Top 10 (Quick)
1. David Small 2336?
2. Alastair Dyer 2119!
3. James Peirce 2078!
4. Rares-Daniel Ocoleanu 2060?
5. Toby Straton 2055!!
6. Ian Rout 2046!!
7. Kevin Bonham 2036!!
8. Eddy Amos 1985!!
9. William Rumley 1981!!
10. Zacharias Lim 1954

There has been quite a increase in the average rating of the top 10 over the past year and a half, the September 2019 list looked like this.

Tasmanian Top 10 Quick Ratings
1. David Small 2399?
2. Ian Rout 2156!!
3. Toby Straton 2107!!
4. Kevin Bonham 2029!!
5. William Rumley 1965!!
5. Dylan Kuzmic 1965!!
7. Alastair Dyer 1954?
8. Denis McMahon 1919!!
9. James Peirce 1900!
10. Yang Liu 1880!

James Peirce
01-03-2021, 08:39 AM
March Ratings List Top 10 (Standard)
1. Kevin Bonham 2065!
2. Ian Rout 1967!
3. Toby Straton 1891
4. Denis McMahon 1743!
5. Scott Cohen 1696
6. William Rumley 1683
7. Tan Thanh Nguyen 1671!
8. Dylan Kuzmic 1666!
9. Reg Harvey 1660!
10. Nigel Lewis 1655!

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2021, 11:05 AM
Only one classic tournament rated for this period but all the Hobart players around the top ten have gained points.

Something quite unusual has happened here because of the 16 already rated players who played in the Hobart Spring Swiss - none of whom played in any other rated tournament - 13 have gained points and only 3 have lost points. The average result for these 16 players is a gain of 60 points.

James Peirce
01-03-2021, 11:17 AM
Something quite unusual has happened here because of the 16 already rated players who played in the Hobart Spring Swiss - none of whom played in any other rated tournament - 13 have gained points and only 3 have lost points. The average result for these 16 players is a gain of 60 points.

I'm guessing most hadn't played many standard rated games so that one tournament had a bigger swing on their ratings?

James Peirce
01-03-2021, 11:21 AM
I was quite surprised I went from 2008 to 2078 rapid rating for 5.5/7. Was probably because the draw and loss were both to unrated players (with Zacharias Lim being the draw and Paul Summers being the loss, they ended up with intial ratings of 1954 and 1889? respectively.)

idledim
01-03-2021, 12:01 PM

It does look a bit odd. Another example? At a glance: Burnie submitted 1 tournament. Leon finished with 0/7 and improved his rating from 1089 to 1101; Fred & Dylan finished with 4 / 7 (about expected) and improved from 1876 to 1909 and from 1896 to 1922 respectively. Reg finished with 5/7 and improved from 1869 to 1935. Zac and Ian also played in the Launceston Cup - so harder to read. James (3/7) goes from 1449 to 1567. Ricky (1) got his first rating - 1225. No idea if all this looks normal or not - might be worth another look?!

James Peirce
01-03-2021, 12:05 PM
Ian played in the Launceston cup, Zach played in the LCC Northern Allegro. The rating changes do seem a bit odd?

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2021, 12:06 PM
I'm guessing most hadn't played many standard rated games so that one tournament had a bigger swing on their ratings?

Many have played large numbers but Toby Straton who performed very strongly in the tournament hasn't played that many. All the ratings are more volatile at the moment because of lower activity in the pandemic but that would normally apply in both directions.

I was quite surprised I went from 2008 to 2078 rapid rating for 5.5/7. Was probably because the draw and loss were both to unrated players (with Zacharias Lim being the draw and Paul Summers being the loss, they ended up with intial ratings of 1954 and 1889? respectively.)

I would assume that would be part of it (you take very little damage for dropping points to them because their ratings are so unreliable) but would also be worth checking whether active players on the rapid list for Tasmania have also gone up in this period.

James Peirce
01-03-2021, 12:22 PM
Rating Changes from December to March for players who had games in that period (Rapid) (Top 20 for March List)
James Peirce 2008-2078
Toby Straton 2059-2055
Ian Rout 2060-2046
Kevin Bonham 1968-2036
Eddy Amos 1845-1985
William Rumley 2053-1981
Reg Harvey 1869-1935
Dylan Kuzmic 1896-1922
Fred Duiker 1876-1909
Tan Thanh Nguyen 1867-1907
Denis McMahon 1831-1902
Scott Cohen 1825-1866

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2021, 12:23 PM
I've just checked the whole list and for the 41 Tas players who played on the Quick list this period and were active on the Quick list last period there is an average gain of 54 points, so about the same as the classic ratings. 34 went up, 7 went down.

James Peirce
01-03-2021, 12:28 PM
Those 12 players I listed increased on average by ~39pts.

pappubahry
01-03-2021, 01:15 PM
It was an average 55-point gain on the Classic list in WA as well (for players who played games), with three players losing points, and 28 players gaining.

idledim
01-03-2021, 02:33 PM
Ian played in the Launceston cup, Zach played in the LCC Northern Allegro. The rating changes do seem a bit odd?

That's right - Ian's other tournament in the period was the Tas. Rapid. You posted his TPR as 1829 for that event (using Pappubahry's calculator). I'm still struggling with the idea that someone can score 0/7 in an event and have their rating go up, but if it's that simple I'll try to do it more often.

Andrew Hardegen
01-03-2021, 08:30 PM
It was an average 55-point gain on the Classic list in WA as well (for players who played games), with three players losing points, and 28 players gaining.

It does seem interesting to see such a large average gain. Then again, without many OTB tournaments, hundreds of juniors have been stuck at home playing online blitz 12 hours per day, gaining 150 points in strength each rating period, without being able to improve their OTB rating. It wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that there could have been a moderate average increase in OTB strength among active players in a 3 month interval, even if very little OTB chess was played.

I'm still struggling with the idea that someone can score 0/7 in an event and have their rating go up, but if it's that simple I'll try to do it more often.

Well, we learn more from our losses than our wins. The rating system should take this into account. :D

Kevin Bonham
01-06-2021, 12:17 AM
James Peirce re-enters the classic top ten at a new highest position. The new classic top ten is Bonham, Rout, Straton, Peirce, McMahon, D Kuzmic, Cohen, Nguyen, Rumley and Lewis.
The new quick top ten is Small, Dyer, Rumley, Peirce, Lim, Rout, Bonham, Straton, Amos and Liu.

James Peirce
04-06-2021, 10:28 AM
June Top 10 (Quick)

1. David Small 2336?
2. Alastair Dyer 2119!
3. William Rumley 2084!
4. James Peirce 2078!!
5. Zacharias Lim 2068!!
6. Ian Rout 2063!!
7. Kevin Bonham 2042!!
8. Toby Straton 2034!!
9. Eddy Amos 1985!!