PDA

View Full Version : NSW Chess Centre

PHAT
31-07-2004, 03:30 PM
I was just wondering, how is the NSWCA handling the NSW Centre issue. People may recall that I, as a former NCWCA counciller was given responsiblity to look into such a unilateral venture. However, I said that much larger forces had made such a venture folly.

Did the NSWCA council drop the ball AGAIN on Thursday night?

Bill Gletsos
31-07-2004, 07:37 PM
I was just wondering, how is the NSWCA handling the NSW Centre issue. People may recall that I, as a former NCWCA counciller was given responsiblity to look into such a unilateral venture. However, I said that much larger forces had made such a venture folly.
Even if this was true and thats a big if, given you never discussed the issue with Peter Parr and your so called discovery of "much larger forces" did not occur until late May from another source, then you have no excuse for doing nothing prior for over 5 mths.

Did the NSWCA council drop the ball AGAIN on Thursday night?
How could the council possibly drop the ball when it was you who were supposed to be the ball carrier.
If anything the Council has had to recover from the fact you never appear to have even handled the ball since it being handed to you after the AGM.

Since your removal from the Council was only in late June, only 4-5 weeks have passed.

Given you promised to organise meetings numerous times over the past 6 mths and did nothing, then even if the NSWCA Council does something in the next 8 weeks it will still have done more on this issue than you did.

BTW I had to work on an urgent issue last Thursday night, so I left the meeting prior to the Sydney Chess Centre being discussed, so until I see the minutes I wont know what transpired.

PHAT
01-08-2004, 06:56 AM
That's right. Blaim MS. The NSWCA is faultless. Just because it blew the chance last year by being timid, and is unable to act on info that is given to it publically [BTW, he who laughs last laughs hardest :lol: :owned:] , and the whole of the membership wants to know when the many tens of thousands of folding stuff is going to benefit them, hey don't feel pressured.

FMD. Stop shooting the messanger. Just say yes.

Bill Gletsos
01-08-2004, 04:52 PM
That's right. Blaim MS.The NSWCA is faultless.
In this particular case yes.

Just because it blew the chance last year by being timid, and is unable to act on info that is given to it publically [BTW, he who laughs last laughs hardest :lol: :owned:] ,
There was no missed opportuunity last year at all.
Also there was no information given to it either pubically or privately that was relevant. Speculation by people as to what Peter intends or does not intend is just that speculation. Of course you would have no clue since you never discussed it with him.

and the whole of the membership wants to know when the many tens of thousands of folding stuff is going to benefit them, hey don't feel pressured.
We dont feel pressured. The members at the AGM's and in general have not been lobbying for the spending of our finances.

FMD. Stop shooting the messanger. Just say yes.
One thing is certain you are no messanger.
You are just a load mouthed individual who criticises but when given the opportunity to do something did nothing. Now all you are trying to do is deflect the criticism of your total lack of effort.

Finally I will say yes,to the fact you are a waste of time.

PHAT
02-08-2004, 07:23 AM
There was no missed opportuunity last year at all.

:liar: Bridge Centre? Or was that a figment of our collective imaginations.

How goes the chess centre please?

AR

I replied 30-03-2004, "A feasibility study will be ready for interested parties by about September. It should contain a number of options. eg, a city venue, a parramata venue, a non-profit plan, a comercial joint venture, a piss-up with strippers, et cetera. Then it will be up to NSWCA members at the next AGM to vote on what to do about it."

Ah, but that will be difficult to do now, won't it Bildo. But that is how the NSWCA opperates, ain't it Bildo. The one NSWCA councillor who bothered to contact me by 'phone was Mal Marrel. That was when something important to our country players was afoot. So, I came to [/i]that[/i] meeting to make sure the country players were not screwed over again. (Naughty country player councillors are personae non grata, aren't they Bildo.

We dont feel pressured. The members at the AGM's and in general have not been lobbying for the spending of our finances.

Bollocks. what is the ratio of members who say "Spend it" to those who say "Don't spend it".

I think it is about time the NSWCA members knew exactly what is going on. Wil you tell them or will I? A deal is on the table, the money is in the bank, the NSWCA is umming and ahhing again and our members don't have a "home of chess".

Bill Gletsos
02-08-2004, 11:48 AM
:liar: Bridge Centre? Or was that a figment of our collective imaginations.
As usual it would appear you have no idea what you are talking about and this is just a figment of your imagination.
There was never any mention of the Bridge Centre being used as the Sydney Chess Centre either last year or this year. If you ever believed that it just shows you obviously paid no attention even at the Council meetings you did attend. Given the Bridge Centre is only available for our use on Sunday evenings from around 6pm it would make a lousy Chess centre.

The Bridge Centre was never mentioned at all last year and was only discussed this year as a possible venue for some tournaments. We eventually decided to run the NSW Masters and CJS Purdy events there.

I replied 30-03-2004, "A feasibility study will be ready for interested parties by about September. It should contain a number of options. eg, a city venue, a parramata venue, a non-profit plan, a comercial joint venture, a piss-up with strippers, et cetera. Then it will be up to NSWCA members at the next AGM to vote on what to do about it."
Who cares what you may have said on the BB. It just looks like grandstanding on your part.
You told the NSWCA Council on at least 2 occasions (the Jan meeting and March meeting, those being the only ones you attended this year) that you would organise chess centre committee meetings in the following month.
Those meetings were never organised by you and never occurred.

Ah, but that will be difficult to do now, won't it Bildo.
You did nothing for 6 months even though you said you would on at least two occasions.
There was no evidence that you would have done anything at all in the remaining 5 months.

:But that is how the NSWCA opperates, ain't it Bildo. The one NSWCA councillor who bothered to contact me by 'phone was Mal Marrel. That was when something important to our country players was afoot. So, I came to [/i]that[/i] meeting to make sure the country players were not screwed over again. (Naughty country player councillors are personae non grata, aren't they Bildo.
That is incorrect. Mal and I get on fine.
It is just on the NSW Masters and CJS Purdy events that he and I disagreed on the timing.

He was against supporting Ralph's initiatives for the holding the NSW Masters and CJS events because they clashed with some country tournaments.
I argued that the actual number of non local players who normally particpated in those country events who were NSW members was quite small.
If I recall the numbers it was something like 3-4 players at the two events at Laurieton and possibly 8 players at the Common man event.
As it turned out only 2 players max of those players who played in the NSW Masters and the CJS Purdy events were previous participants in the aforementioned Country events.

Bollocks. what is the ratio of members who say "Spend it" to those who say "Don't spend it".
The majority understand that the money is ear marked for future use on a chess centre.

I think it is about time the NSWCA members knew exactly what is going on. Wil you tell them or will I?
I'm not going to deal in speculation.
You can tell them what you think you know.

A deal is on the table, the money is in the bank, the NSWCA is umming and ahhing again and our members don't have a "home of chess".
As of Wednesday last week there was no deal of any kind on the table.

Peter Parr sent an email to the Council last Thursday which was theday of the Council meeting, to inform us that the both the ground floor and the first floor of the building he is currently in were vacant and up for lease.
He reminded the Council of our previous discussions with him a few years back when there was vacant floors in the building. Just like then for any arrangement to be successful it requires not only the participation of the NSWCA but also NSWJCL. Many would argue that the venue for a chess centre needs to be junior friendly and would question the suitability of the inner city especially that area.

Just like there was criticism of the ACF National Conference for accepting Cordovers claims that the Mt. Buller decision had to be made then and there,
then the same claim would be made against the NSWCA if it made a rushed decision here.

Of course the previous dicussions between Peter and the Council from a few years ago were raised at the 2004 January Council (one which you attended) because it was pointed out at that time the Peters current lease would expire later this year. A couple of days after that Council meeting and mainly for the benefit of new Council members the relevant documents regarding those earlier discussions were sent by email to all NSWCA Council members including yourself.

If as you had promised at the Jan Council meeting you had organised and held the Chess centre committee meetings, then perhaps the current Council would have the benfit of the findings/recommendations of said committee.

Of course you did nothing and simply demonstrated that you are high on rhetoric and bulls..t and low on action.

You arte a complete waste of everyones time.

PHAT
02-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Of course the previous dicussions between Peter and the Council from a few years ago were raised at the 2004 January Council (one which you attended) because it was pointed out at that time the Peters current lease would expire later this year. A couple of days after that Council meeting and mainly for the benefit of new Council members the relevant documents regarding those earlier discussions were sent by email to all NSWCA Council members including yourself.

And [drum roll] stillnoth-ing happ-ened.

If as you had promised at the Jan Council meeting you had organised and held the Chess centre committee meetings, then perhaps the current Council would have the benfit of the findings/recommendations of said committee.

The subcommitte was to have a final report ready by the end of THIS year - 4 months away. So, regardless of your posturing about not having enought info now, you wouldn't have had enough even if I was still on council.

The important points that seem to be convieniantly forgotten/ignored by you are:

1. The NSWCA dropped the ball once before on the SCC issue last year.
2. Council had no intention of persuing a SCC this year (if ever) except that I, as a councillor, took on the responsability to do so.
3. The NSWCA was unsuccessful in contacting me via email to assertain what was going on, and yet did not make even one 'phone call. :hmm:
4. Then one of the SCC committee (me) is sacked.
5. Now the NSWCA has its pants around its ankles and is stalled on the SCC issue.

Conclussion: NSWCA council does not want "outsiders" in its ranks. (And remember, I saw how it reacted to new broom Ralph Sebry when he started revamping the calender. Few people would be aware that before his death, Ralph resigned as Tournament Officer over his treatment.) Now, the NSWCA council is still sitting on $80,000 and doesn't want any damn "outsider" making recommendations about its use.

The best deal to take NSW chess forward is on the table right now and the NSWCA still does nothing. Yet, it continues to spend hours upon hours on how to word flyers, or how long one naughty player should get in the sin bin, or who should keep the clocks.

No volunteer run organisation can afford to lose voluteers before they have seen out the year. So, good on ya.

arosar
02-08-2004, 04:01 PM
He was against supporting Ralph's initiatives for the holding the NSW Masters and CJS events because they clashed with some country tournaments.

I received a rather funny email from RS re this.

Just like then for any arrangement to be successful it requires not only the participation of the NSWCA but also NSWJCL. Many would argue that the venue for a chess centre needs to be junior friendly and would question the suitability of the inner city especially that area.

Agreed: for a chess centre to work, it has to be junior-friendly. But what is it about THAT AREA that makes its suitability questionable? It's actually slowly being gentrified Bill. Very hip and trendy.

AR

arosar
02-08-2004, 04:07 PM
. . . Few people would be aware that before his death, Ralph resigned as Tournament Officer over his treatment.

There is something seemingly ugly about the way you name-drop his name. But you're right. That is what my source tells me also. Further, I hear that the NSWCA actually refused his resignation.

Now, the NSWCA council is still sitting on $80,000 and doesn't want any damn "outsider" making recommendations about its use.

It must be a considered and rationale 'use'. Everyone you talk to will support the centre in principle. But it's a friggin' huge investment mate. That 80K could just disappear in a ppfffft . . . ! Is that what you want?

AR

Alan Shore
02-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Now, the NSWCA council is still sitting on $80,000 and doesn't want any damn "outsider" making recommendations about its use.

Is this for real!? Where did all that cash come from?

arosar
02-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Is this for real!? Where did all that cash come from?

Of course! we're NSWelshmen. We don't lie.

10K of that came from anonymous benefactor - late last year I think it was.

AR

Brian_Jones
02-08-2004, 04:12 PM
So amiel, you chose to live in Bankstown and think Surry Hills is "hip and trendy". Does this tell us something about you!? You'll be telling us that Kings Cross is good for junior chess next?

Alan Shore
02-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Of course! we're NSWerlshmen. We don't lie.

10K of that came from anonymous benefactor - late last year I think it was.

AR

So what's being done with it? Surely there's a million good uses to put some of that money to? I can think of quite a few initiatives we could implement in QLD.. 80k is a lot to sit on.

arosar
02-08-2004, 04:18 PM
. . . Kings Cross is good for junior chess next?

Mate, don't talk to me about the Cross, right! You have any idea what the Sydney City Council have planned next? They wanna ban the shops at the X to stop using neon signs!! Mate, this is like telling them Greeks to stop painting their houses white. THis has really got me blood boiling mate.

Now I haven't actually said that the proposed location, above Parr's shop, should be the way to go. I am only questioning Bill's claim that the site is questionable. What makes it questionable? The answer could be a perfectly legit reason that I'll agree with.

AR

PHAT
02-08-2004, 04:28 PM
There is something seemingly ugly about the way you name-drop his name. But you're right. That is what my source tells me also. Further, I hear that the NSWCA actually refused his resignation.

Yes, I feel a bit reluctant to mention RS so soon after his death, but how do you tell a story about the NSWCA in 2004 without mentioning him. In any case, he was a breath of fresh air and I don't think we should forget it.

It must be a considered and rationale 'use'. Everyone you talk to will support the centre in principle. But it's a friggin' huge investment mate. That 80K could just disappear in a ppfffft . . . !

Actually it isn't a huge investment at all. Half of Sydney has that much parked in their garage. It is less than 5% of what is needed to buy SCC and the interest on $80k is not enough to pay rent. So, the deal that is on the table now is the only way forward in the forseable future. The alternative is to sit on the dosh, without a SCC, into the unforseable future.

antichrist
02-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Was Matt sacked from the NSWCA?? For what reason?

arosar
02-08-2004, 05:21 PM
So, the deal that is on the table now is the only way forward in the forseable future. The alternative is to sit on the dosh, without a SCC, into the unforseable future.

But I s'pose all that depends on who chooses to see or not see. Doesn't it?

AR

PHAT
02-08-2004, 05:31 PM

Missing three meetings without an appology being given.

Bill Gletsos
02-08-2004, 06:53 PM
And [drum roll] stillnoth-ing happ-ened.
Dont try and blame other for your own laziness.
The reason nothing happened is because you did nothing.
The previous correspondence from a few years back between the council and Peter was provided to you so you had the background info for your committee meetings.
You did nothing with it and nothing regarding the SCC overall.

The subcommitte was to have a final report ready by the end of THIS year - 4 months away. So, regardless of your posturing about not having enought info now, you wouldn't have had enough even if I was still on council.
The subcommittee was supposed be holding meetings in Februray as promised by you at the Jan Council meeting and again in April as promised by you at the March Council meeting.
You organised neither.
You did nothing.

Stop trying blame others for your ineptitude and lack of any effort.
You are a complete joke.

The important points that seem to be convieniantly forgotten/ignored by you are:

1. The NSWCA dropped the ball once before on the SCC issue last year.
I have no idea what you are referring to hear.

2. Council had no intention of persuing a SCC this year (if ever) except that I, as a councillor, took on the responsability to do so.
What a total misrepresenatation of the facts.
You raised the issue on the old ACF BB. I reworded your motion to try and assist in getting it passed at the AGM, otherwise your original wording would never have had a chance in hell of getting supported by the majority. On joining the NSWCA Council at the AGM you were given the responsability of organising the SCC meetings. You pronised to do this on various occasions and never did anything about it.

3. The NSWCA was unsuccessful in contacting me via email to assertain what was going on, and yet did not make even one 'phone call. :hmm:
What basis do you have for this claim of thre NSWCA being unsuccessful in contacting you via email. This just looks like another attempt by you to lay blame elsewhere rather than acknowledge the fact you did nothing whilst on the council.
You made promises at the council meetings you attended only to do nothing regarding them.

4. Then one of the SCC committee (me) is sacked.
Yes because your time on council was a complete waste.
You did absolutely nothing in any capacity.

5. Now the NSWCA has its pants around its ankles and is stalled on the SCC issue.
The only one with there pants around their ankles is you and with your head up your .... as usual.

Conclussion: NSWCA council does not want "outsiders" in its ranks.
There is no point having people like you who do nothing.

(And remember, I saw how it reacted to new broom Ralph Sebry when he started revamping the calender. Few people would be aware that before his death, Ralph resigned as Tournament Officer over his treatment.)
It is easy for you to make such claims but I doubt you ever actually spoke to Ralph about it.
I spoke to him a number of times regarding this, including not long before he died.

Ralph was disappointed with the lack of support he received regarding the NSW Masters and the CJS Purdy event and tendered his resignation to the Council. I asked him to reconsider and he did. However even though the NSW Masters tournament was subsequently passed by the Council, Ralph decided he no longer wanted to be formally on the Council and his resignation was accepted at the April Council meeting. Ralph did however agree to continue assisting in the Tournament Officers role just no longer on Council. He was still prepared to be the contact for the reamining tournaments and was going to be the Arbiter for a couple of events. He and I were still discussing his plans for a Sydney Masters event for later in the year.

As has been said before the major part of those funds have long been planned for use towards a Chess centre by successive Councils over many years, Councils headed by numerous Presidents.

The best deal to take NSW chess forward is on the table right now and the NSWCA still does nothing.
Since you seem to know what the current deal is perhaps you would care to enlighten all of us.

Yet, it continues to spend hours upon hours on how to word flyers, or how long one naughty player should get in the sin bin, or who should keep the clocks.
All of the above functions are important.
Its clowns like you who would nitpick over any minor errors in the adverts, therefore it is important to try and get them correct.
Badly behaved players need to be reprimanded.
As to who keeps the clocks, Norm is handling the role of equipment officer.

No volunteer run organisation can afford to lose voluteers before they have seen out the year. So, good on ya.
You were a do nothing individual.
Having been exposed as such all you are attempting to do now is deflect your inadequacies onto others.
You are a joke.

Bill Gletsos
02-08-2004, 07:02 PM
I received a rather funny email from RS re this.
I can imagine. He and I discussed the issue a number of times.

What is interesting is that Matt was one of those who voted against the NSW Masters & the CJS Purdy events being held this year. He said so in an email he sent to Ralph and the other Council members on 5th April.

A week or two later when a new vote was taken on the issue, Matt did not bother to vote.

Agreed: for a chess centre to work, it has to be junior-friendly. But what is it about THAT AREA that makes its suitability questionable? It's actually slowly being gentrified Bill. Very hip and trendy.
My point was the venue has to be acceptable to the NSWJCL.

Bill Gletsos
02-08-2004, 07:03 PM
He was sacked in line with the NSWCA Constitution for missing 3 successive council meetings. Out of 6 meetings this year he missed 4. He never apologised for missing any of them, either before or after.

He promised at those he attended to organise meetings of the SCC Committee but he did nothing.
In fact his whole time on Council involved him doing nothing.

PHAT
15-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Let us talk about how the NSWCA council "slackers" are going.

A person has offered to pay all setting up costs for a chess centre in the CBD as well as paying 50% of the rent - very generous! That person has not received any response since 29th July 2004, this despite two monthly NSWCA council meetings since the offer was made.

Not one phone call.
Not one email.
Nothing.
It can only presume the NSWCA has no interest at all in a chess centre. Has any one else ever offered to pay all setting up costs plus 50% of the rent?

In July NSWCA Treasurer, and Friday 23rd July 2004, NSWCA President Bill Gletsos were told by the person involved, that the ground floor level and first floor level at 72 Campbell St are vacant and available for lease.The premises are today being re-painted and are in excellent condition.

In the past, a two month delay by NSWCA and NSWJCL in reaching a decision resulted in the premises being rented to another party. The person involved, is prepared to start the ball rolling again, but the enthusiasm must come from NSWCA and NSW Junior League rather than just him

A chess centre is for the benefit of the entire chess community and NOT a one person project. We know there are reservations as a larger premises in a better location and cheaper rent were a requested.

Has anyone ever heard that we have to cut our suit to the cloth.

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 03:45 PM

A person has offered to pay all setting up costs for a chess centre in the CBD as well as paying 50% of the rent - very generous! That person has not received any response since 29th July 2004, this despite two monthly NSWCA council meetings since the offer was made.

Not one phone call.
Not one email.
Nothing.
It can only presume the NSWCA has no interest at all in a chess centre. Has any one else ever offered to pay all setting up costs plus 50% of the rent?

In July NSWCA Treasurer, and Friday 23rd July 2004, NSWCA President Bill Gletsos were told by the person involved, that the ground floor level and first floor level at 72 Campbell St are vacant and available for lease.The premises are today being re-painted and are in excellent condition.

In the past, a two month delay by NSWCA and NSWJCL in reaching a decision resulted in the premises being rented to another party. The person involved, is prepared to start the ball rolling again, but the enthusiasm must come from NSWCA and NSW Junior League rather than just him

A chess centre is for the benefit of the entire chess community and NOT a one person project. We know there are reservations as a larger premises in a better location and cheaper rent were a requested.

Has anyone very heard that we have to cut our suit to the cloth.
The person referred to above by you needs to get the NSWJCL on side with his proposal.
The chance of the NSWCA getting involved in anything that does not have committed support from the NSWJCL is extremley unlikely to happen.

Of course you were informed back in January that Parr's lease was expiring late this year. If you had organised and held the Sydney Chess Centre Committee meetings as you promised the NSWCA Council then perhaps some sort of recommendation may have been forthcoming and available in July. However none of this occurred because do nothing Matt did nothing at all.

Once again you are publishing information in a private email on a public forum.
No wonder you are considered a complete joke.
No one would ever trust you with confidential information.

The NSWCA Council will not be discussing any converstaions it is having with any party regarding a chess centre on a bulletin board.

Eric
15-09-2004, 03:52 PM

Not one phone call.
Not one email.
Nothing.

Has anyone very heard that we have to cut our suit to the cloth.

Hi weeney. I'm baaack! Miss me? Of course you do. I can picutre you now sitting at the keyboard with that idiotic smirk crossing your vacant face. I can almost hear the sound resonating through your empty cranium of your eyeballs rolling in their sockets as you go 'Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk ' like Cruly Howard. But enough of this rank sentimentality. I digress.

You're pretty good at taking shots questionaing other people's integrity, comptence and credibility. At the moment you're taking shots at the NSWCA and NSWJCL. In the past you taken shots also at the ACA, Ian Rogers, Brian Jones, Kerry and Bill just to name a few. What about your credibility? Last week it was pointed out how you lied about being a member of the NSWJCL. That's not my favorite though. My favourite is when you were on the turps and vowed to remove your urine stained carcass from the bb for good. What happened to that pledge?

Bill, go easy on weeny about his loitering while on the Council. He's put that bit of vagrancy at the top of his CV. It's right above the entry about the two years he spent shovelling chicken manure in Cooper Pedy.

Garvinator
15-09-2004, 03:53 PM
is this for real and not just some squabble between you too again :rolleyes:

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 03:56 PM
is this for real and not just some squabble between you too again :rolleyes:
Its quite true.
Sweeney was included in the email to the NSWCA Council as well as two other non NSWCA Councillors.

Garvinator
15-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Its quite true.
Sweeney was included in the email to the NSWCA Council as well as two other non NSWCA Councillors.
:hmm: sounds rather similiar to the predicament another organising team faces atm, receiving confidential information and discussion points, cant reveal those points, then gets accused of not releasing information :whistle: :whistle:

PHAT
15-09-2004, 04:07 PM

Don't be a complete dikhed. All this info is common knowledge around the traps, ya cramp. It is only our interstate friends who don't know how the NSWCA opporates.

The NSWCA Council will not be discussing any converstaions it is having with any party regarding a chess centre on a bulletin board.

You dont even have conersations with the person who wants to get a SCC going. You, a so called President, treats the SCC idea like something sticking to the bottom of your shoe. You have shown your colours regarding a SCC and I can see now why you did not want the NSWCA SCC Committee to survive - it is also why you killed it with neglect. We all know you better now by your making of,
"Not one phone call.
Not one email.
Nothing.
It can only presume the NSWCA has no interest at all in a chess centre. Has any one else ever offered to pay all setting up costs plus 50% of the rent? "

I might joke about on the BB but, it is you who is the real life joke in NSW chess admin. AR says I might be dangerously active. :lol: But you, the danger you pose is one of a dead gallah in the water tank of NSW chess. You are making us all sick.

PHAT
15-09-2004, 04:11 PM
:hmm: sounds rather similiar to the predicament another organising team faces atm, receiving confidential information and discussion points, cant reveal those points, then gets accused of not releasing information :whistle: :whistle:

Gray, all this info is not private. It has been out there for a long time, you would be hard pressed to find any active NSW player who doesn't know about these issues. BG is simply p.ssed off that his true nature is out there for all to see.

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Don't be a complete dikhed. All this info is common knowledge around the traps, ya cramp. It is only our interstate friends who don't know how the NSWCA opporates.
The only person being a so called dikhead is you.
You show no respect for private emails.
You are a disgrace.

You dont even have conersations with the person who wants to get a SCC going. You, a so called President, treats the SCC idea like something sticking to the bottom of your shoe. You have shown your colours regarding a SCC and I can see now why you did not want the NSWCA SCC Committee to survive - it is also why you killed it with neglect. We all know you better now by your making of,
"Not one phone call.
Not one email.
Nothing.
It can only presume the NSWCA has no interest at all in a chess centre. Has any one else ever offered to pay all setting up costs plus 50% of the rent? "
I'm not about to discuss what may or may not have been done by memeers of the NSWCA Council with regards the email.
All I will say is you have no actual clue.

I might joke about on the BB but, it is you who is the real life joke in NSW chess admin.
You shouldnt just limit yourself to being considered a joke only on the BB.

AR says I might be dangerously active. :lol:
Dangerously inactive would be more accurate you do nothing individual.

But you, the danger you pose is one of a dead gallah in the water tank of NSW chess. You are making us all sick.
You are just a complete joke. You speak for no one but yourself.

Garvinator
15-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Gray, all this info is not private. It has been out there for a long time, you would be hard pressed to find any active NSW player who doesn't know about these issues. BG is simply p.ssed off that his true nature is out there for all to see.
irrelevant, did you receive the information you have provided from a private email?

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 04:22 PM
It hasnt been out there for a long time at all.
The email you are quoting from was sent on the 6th Sept.
The majority of chess players in NSW would know nothing about it.
The few who may would have heard about it directly from the author of the email.

All you are now just trying to do is defend your disgraceful behaviour.

Of course I cannot understand why you were copied on the email in the first place. the person concerned was well aware you were no longer a member of Council.
However they would be well aware of you penchant for publishing confidential emails like you did last year when you commented on Parr's email questioning Brian Jones profit from the Australian Open at Penrith.

You are nothing but a disgrace.

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 04:23 PM
irrelevant, did you receive the information you have provided from a private email?
Yes parts of his post are direct extracts from the email in question.

Matt also seems to be deliberately ignoring the fact that in any organisation it is the Secretary who responds to formal communications, not the President or any other official.

PHAT
15-09-2004, 04:36 PM

Most of the information is in the public domain. The only information i posted, that could only have come from an email sent to me, was that, BG has not responded in months, to the well known, renewed offers to start a SCC.

BG's pants are aound his ankles.

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Most of the information is in the public domain.
How is it in the public domain.
Was it posted in a bulletin somewhere.
No
Was it perhaps in a newspaper.
No.
You are a disgrace.

No one on any committee would ever trust you.

The only information i posted, that could only have come from an email sent to me, was that, BG has not responded in months, to the well known, renewed offers to start a SCC.
The council responds to formal communications via the Secretary

BG's pants are aound his ankles.
This is nothing more than a typical beatup on your part.

What is completely accurate is that for over 6 months you did absolutely nothing with regards the Sydney chess centre Committee. You did nothing.
You are a joke and just a complete fool.
As usual all you are doing is just practicing proctology on yourself.

PHAT
15-09-2004, 04:45 PM
All you are now just trying to do is defend your disgraceful behaviour.

When will you start behaving like NSW chess matters.
When are you going to contact PP? Next year?

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 04:50 PM
When will you start behaving like NSW chess matters.
When will you start behaving like youi have an actual clue about anything.

When are you going to contact PP? Next year?
The Council will respond to formal communications via the Secreatry.

You of course are just a complete joke because you never spoke to Parr about a chess centre during your time on Council.

PHAT
15-09-2004, 04:53 PM
No one on any committee would ever trust you.

Correct, no one should trust me to keep quiet when NSWCA need the wistle blown on it.

What is completely accurate is that for over 6 months you did absolutely nothing with regards the Sydney chess centre Committee.

You two faced leghorn Hoover. That is exactly what you wanted!

You are the disgrace. HCN to you.

Garvinator
15-09-2004, 04:53 PM
ok enough of the bill v matt show again

PHAT
15-09-2004, 05:00 PM
The Council will respond to formal communications via the Secreatry.

When? Next year?
What will the NSWCA say? Will the members ever find out? Or will it stay a massive cover-up of squandered opportunities?

You are the true, real live, riggy-didge "do nothing." I am a mear pretender to your standard culpable neglect of NSW chess.

PHAT
15-09-2004, 05:09 PM
ok enough of the bill v matt show again

The NSWCA president does not want to advance chess in Sydney. We have to wonder why? What is going on?

As for the so called "private email", there were several other unrealated issues contained in it which I know were not already common knowledge. These very sour issues are private between the NSWCA admin. and the other party, I therefore, cannot post them here. The SCC issue is everywhere, so, not private.

BG is in the frying pan. Smell that BiG PiG frying.

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Correct, no one should trust me to keep quiet when NSWCA need the wistle blown on it.
What they should do, is trust you to misrepresent the facts.

You two faced leghorn Hoover. That is exactly what you wanted!
You had every opportunity to contribute. You chose not to.
You promised to organise the SCC meetings, you didnt.
You have no one to blame but yourself.

You are the disgrace. HCN to you.
THe only digrace is you, you fool.

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 06:03 PM
When? Next year?
What will the NSWCA say? Will the members ever find out? Or will it stay a massive cover-up of squandered opportunities?
When and what we say is up to the council to decide, not you.
The members can of course find out at the next AGM.

You are the true, real live, riggy-didge "do nothing." I am a mear pretender to your standard culpable neglect of NSW chess.
Yeah, yeah.
You were a complete waste whilst on the NSWCA Coiucnil.
You contributed nothing.

PHAT
15-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Hi weeney. I'm baaack! Miss me? Of course you do. I can picutre you now sitting at the keyboard with that idiotic smirk crossing your vacant face. I can almost hear the sound resonating through your empty cranium of your eyeballs rolling in their sockets as you go 'Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk ' like Cruly Howard.

Let me help yor imagery :) :rolleyes: :banana:

You're pretty good at taking shots questionaing other people's integrity, comptence and credibility. At the moment you're taking shots at the NSWCA and NSWJCL. In the past you taken shots also at the ACA, Ian Rogers, Brian Jones, Kerry and Bill just to name a few.

So? I dish it out. I cop it sweet. What other astute observations do you have for us.

What about your credibility? Last week it was pointed out how you lied about being a member of the NSWJCL.
A simple mistake in my understanding of what "Family Membership" means on the renewal form. Hardly a "lie".

That's not my favorite though. My favourite is when you were on the turps and vowed to remove your urine stained carcass from the bb for good. What happened to that pledge?

I don't remember it :lol:

Bill, go easy on weeny about his loitering while on the Council. He's put that bit of vagrancy at the top of his CV. It's right above the entry about the two years he spent shovelling chicken manure in Cooper Pedy.

:lol:

Thank goodness you have a sense of humour. I thought for a while there, you were going to be a Masked Bill Gletsos. :D

BTW, it is Coober Pedy. ;)

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 06:06 PM
FO, cane toad.

The NSWCA president does not want to advance chess in Sydney. We have to wonder why? What is going on?
The NSWCA council has to consider whats best for NSW, not what is best for Peter Parr or any other individual.
It also needs the committed support of the NSWJCL.

As for the so called "private email", there were several other unrealated issues contained in it which I know were not already common knowledge. These very sour issues are private between the NSWCA admin. and the other party, I therefore, cannot post them here. The SCC issue is everywhere, so, not private.
The parts you posted were not in the public domain as you call it.
You are just a disgrace.

BG is in the frying pan. Smell that BiG PiG frying.
You are just a joke.

PHAT
15-09-2004, 06:23 PM
The NSWCA council has to consider whats best for NSW, ... It also needs the committed support of the NSWJCL.

So which is the tail and which is the dog.

If the NSWCA had a SCC, it could poach every JCL junior playing chess outside the school system in under 12 months. When you have the JCL by the balls, its heart and mind will follow. It is time for a leader to lead. Apparently we have a NSWCA president who is there under false pretences.

When will you tell the members that you have $80k, a high cred benefactor, a plan for a SCC, and no intention of taking the next step?

PHAT
15-09-2004, 06:30 PM
[post deleted - mod]

Oi, Billy. When are you going to tell your mate eric that he is a vulgar disgrace?

I s'pose you won't, since he is a mate of yours. Oops! Mistake. I forgot you middle name was Nigel.

PHAT
15-09-2004, 06:42 PM
When and what we say is up to the council to decide, not you.

That is right, it isn't up to me. That is why am asking:

What will the council tell its members is the reason for gouging them for cash and sitting on $80k and not getting into a SCC?

We are all wanting to know. Or do you have some secret deal with someone else?

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 06:56 PM
So which is the tail and which is the dog.

If the NSWCA had a SCC, it could poach every JCL junior playing chess outside the school system in under 12 months. When you have the JCL by the balls, its heart and mind will follow. It is time for a leader to lead. Apparently we have a NSWCA president who is there under false pretences.

When will you tell the members that you have $80k, a high cred benefactor, a plan for a SCC, and no intention of taking the next step?
You have no knowledge of the NSWJCL or anything else for that matter.
Waffle on all you like, I will not be discussing NSWCA Council matters on the BB.

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Oi, Billy. When are you going to tell your mate eric that he is a vulgar disgrace?

I s'pose you won't, since he is a mate of yours. Oops! Mistake. I forgot you middle name was Nigel.
I dont approve of Eric's language.
However how others choose to reply to your vulgar responses is up to them.
You are just plain vulgar to those that have not been to you.

As for Eric being my mate, I have no clue who he is.

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 07:02 PM
That is right, it isn't up to me. That is why am asking:

What will the council tell its members is the reason for gouging them for cash and sitting on $80k and not getting into a SCC?

We are all wanting to know. Or do you have some secret deal with someone else?
The NSWCA Constitution places the responsability for the handling of the NSWCA finances in the hands of the NSWCA Council and not the members.

You can ask what questions you like and get answers at the NSWCA AGM in late November.

peanbrain
15-09-2004, 09:35 PM
I dont approve of Eric's language.
However how others choose to reply to your vulgar responses is up to them.
You are just plain vulgar to those that have not been to you.

As for Eric being my mate, I have no clue who he is.

Nothing wrong with Eric's language.
matt talks crap so he deserves all the crap that he's getting.

peanbrain
15-09-2004, 09:38 PM

matt can repeat like a broken record as much as he likes, but at least we've got $80K.

If matt was in charge we would have a sweet FA! :hand:

Bill is right, matt is a joke, a do nothing, good for nothing joke.

Garvinator
15-09-2004, 09:39 PM
FO, cane toad.
straight away matt descends right back into the gutter hurling abuse.

Bill Gletsos
15-09-2004, 10:54 PM
matt can repeat like a broken record as much as he likes, but at least we've got $80K.

If matt was in charge we would have a sweet FA! :hand:

Bill is right, matt is a joke, a do nothing, good for nothing joke.
Matt of course has no clue whatsoever what the yearly rent is either.

Alan Shore
15-09-2004, 10:59 PM
The words of wisdom for tonight for Matt and Bill:

"But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgement. Again, anyone who is contempuous toward his brother is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

(Matthew 5:22)

Play nice, kids.

Rincewind
16-09-2004, 08:18 AM
The words of wisdom for tonight for Matt and Bill:

"But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgement. Again, anyone who is contempuous toward his brother is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

(Matthew 5:22)

Or my favourite...

"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD."

Deut 23:1

So, PLEASE, play nice.

ursogr8
04-11-2004, 07:15 AM
The NSWCA Constitution places the responsability for the handling of the NSWCA finances in the hands of the NSWCA Council and not the members.

You can ask what questions you like and get answers at the NSWCA AGM in late November.

hi Bill

Any proposals on this topic likely to be tabled at the AGM?

regards
starter

Bill Gletsos
04-11-2004, 10:33 AM
hi Bill

Any proposals on this topic likely to be tabled at the AGM?

regards
starter
The tabling of any proposals was not part of the motion passed at last years AGM.
It was about feasability.

ursogr8
04-11-2004, 12:05 PM
The tabling of any proposals was not part of the motion passed at last years AGM.
It was about feasability.

thanks Bill

As ever, your post contains excrutiating exactitude of expression. :rolleyes:
Just a pity about the spelling of the big word you introduced. ;)

As you were the proposer of the motion (if I recall correctly) I knew I could come to you for the drum. :clap:

regards
starter

Bill Gletsos
04-11-2004, 12:57 PM
thanks Bill

As ever, your post contains excrutiating exactitude of expression. :rolleyes:

Yes, well I'm not about to degenerate into your world of "marketing puff" rubbish.

Just a pity about the spelling of the big word you introduced. ;)
Careful starter or I might have to start picking on your spelling/typing abilities.

As you were the proposer of the motion (if I recall correctly) I knew I could come to you for the drum. :clap:
Maybe you would be better served focusing on your own state instead of others.

Gringo
04-11-2004, 02:09 PM
We'd be better served if you focused on another State , Billy.

Bill Gletsos
04-11-2004, 02:17 PM
We'd be better served if you focused on another State , Billy.
Another useless post by some do nothing anonymous clown.

Paul S
12-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Hi Bill

I was in Peter Parr's shop about 1 month ago (to cash in my "$50 Chess Voucher NSWCA Grade Matches Board Prize"). Peter mentioned in passing that he had recently made the NSWCA a reasonable offer for a "Chess Centre" in the vicinity of his premises (ie the floor above him).

What is happening with this proposal?

Also, what is happening with the "NSWCA/NSWJCL Chess Centre" proposal generally (ie as per the last NSWCA AGM)? What options/alternatives are "on the table" to be decided/debated on at the upcoming NSWCA AGM?

Paul S
14-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Hi Bill

I was in Peter Parr's shop about 1 month ago (to cash in my "$50 Chess Voucher NSWCA Grade Matches Board Prize"). Peter mentioned in passing that he had recently made the NSWCA a reasonable offer for a "Chess Centre" in the vicinity of his premises (ie the floor above him).

Also, what is happening with the "NSWCA/NSWJCL Chess Centre" proposal generally (ie as per the last NSWCA AGM)? What options/alternatives are "on the table" to be decided/debated on at the upcoming NSWCA AGM?

Hello again, Bill.

You are usually quick to respond on this forum, but for whatever reasons you appear to have let this question "go through to the keeper".

I forgot to add that when I was with Peter Parr (in October) that he told me he submitted his proposal to the NSWCA 2 months ago (which would mean in August) but nobody from the NSWCA had contacted him since then (maybe they have recently since when I was there a few weeks ago).

Anyway, I understand that Peter's proposal is very similar to the one he made a few years ago, which looked to me to be about as good a deal as what the NSWCA/NSWJCL could expect for a Chess Centre (I was inadvertently emailed this proposal, which I read and promptly deleted).

Bill Gletsos
14-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Hi Bill

My understanding is that a response to Peter was sent by the Sydney Chess Centre Committee.

The the findings of the SCC will be given at this years AGM.

Bill Gletsos
14-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Hello again, Bill.

You are usually quick to respond on this forum, but for whatever reasons you appear to have let this question "go through to the keeper".
Only because I missed it.

I forgot to add that when I was with Peter Parr (in October) that he told me he submitted his proposal to the NSWCA 2 months ago (which would mean in August) but nobody from the NSWCA had contacted him since then (maybe they have recently since when I was there a few weeks ago).

Anyway, I understand that Peter's proposal is very similar to the one he made a few years ago, which looked to me to be about as good a deal as what the NSWCA/NSWJCL could expect for a Chess Centre (I was inadvertently emailed this proposal, which I read and promptly deleted).
There are a number of significant differemnces between the two.
Previously the Annual rent was around $24,000 per year, nows its $64,000 not including GST.
Also previously the NSWJCL were prepared to be involved.
They are not prepared to be involved this time.

The_Wise_Man
03-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Close to the Airport
Hotels near-by and cheaper than the city (for inter-state players)
Rent is cheaper than city
Parking is better than city
Transport is pretty good.
Safer than the city...

Just an idea.... Your thoughts appreciated...

Wise

Gringo
03-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Let's hire the Church hall at Broadway, what a Cracker of a place that was..... Parr only thinks about his cash register .

arosar
03-02-2005, 01:34 PM
You mean St Barnabas?

AR

antichrist
25-05-2005, 11:14 AM
25-05-2005, 03:23 AM #29
antichrist
CC Grandmaster

Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
Your method is stupid, like you.
I left it out because not only was it irrelevant to the current discussion, but as was reported to the NSWCA AGM a chess centre was not financially viable at this time. Nothing has changed in the mean time for the NSWCA Council to revisit the issue.

You never heard one third the story on the chess centre so how would you know if it was feasible at that time. And you may never hear the other 2/3. Certain times and circumstances can offer unique opportunities and that is what NSWCA did not know and did not seem interesting in knowing so I did not waste my precious time with them.

From PaulS & Antichrist flamewar thread
Originally Posted by antichrist
You never heard one third the story on the chess centre so how would you know if it was feasible at that time. And you may never hear the other 2/3. Certain times and circumstances can offer unique opportunities and that is what NSWCA did not know and did not seem interesting in knowing so I did not waste my precious time with them.

Bill Gletsos
You were all words and no action.
You were asked at the 2002 NSWCA AGM the following: "The Chairman invited Peter Hanna to present a proposal and budget to Council."
You didnt decline this invitation at the time, however you never did anything about it. This was noted in the minutes of the 2003 NSWCA AGM.

antichrist
But remember one thing, I led other people into excellent real estate investments at this time and I had an excellent building "maybe" lined up for the NSWCA which would also have been an absolute bargain. And I had a "maybe" terrific way of funding it.

I won't broadcast it but can discuss in person one day if you are in the mood.

Bill Gletsos
Unfortunately we only have your word for it. You never discussed it with anyone on Council.
Your lack of broadcasting it last time at least to Council no doubt contributed to nothing being done.

A/C
I was going to pull off the old Lebo Muslim trick. I would donate $10,000 towards the building and get about another 50 to 100 people to do likewise. The form of the donation or loan could be flexible, with some it could be a staight out donation, and others a perpetual loan or a fifty-year loan interest free. Any combination.

I had put it to P. Parr at the time, now for the $10,000 question: would you and PaulS have contributed your $10,000. You are not going to be seen to be outdone by A/C are you. And all those people I was supposed to have upset on all those committees, they are not going to be seen to be out done by the A/C are they? The money would have come in pouring in. Or otherwise they would have seen to be weak. For donations of , for example, $50,000 one could have a room named after them. For say a much bigger amount even the building named after them.

I know an atheist mob who did this, and though fitting in a phone box they own a premises worth about 3/4 million bucks. They rent the upstairs out which pays for the outgoings of the association plus they accumulate thousands over the long term.

At that time I was negiotating with a person who had the perfect building. I was busting to show Bob Keast but we never got around to it.

That site now has been reclassified under those home unit rules close to the station and can fit about 40-50 home units. It is worth a few million now at least.

You don't have only my word for it on doing that investment mentioned earlier. I and a few other people have documents, tax returns, bank statements, valuations etc to prove it. We were getting a whopping 12% when we went in, then had the biggest rise in all Sydney according to those lists of suburbs etc. No bulls...... their price went up 300%. AND BEFORE GOING IN EVERYBODY SAID I WAS MAD. JUST AS I WANTED TO INVEST IN LEBOLAND WHILST THE CIVIL WAR WAS GOING ON AND EVERYBODY SAID I WAS MAD. Now they are pulling their hair out that they did not follow my advice. The price of buildings went up hundreds of percent and currency went up a few times over as well. Well if it had gone from about 2:1$US down to about 2000:1$US, of course there is only one way it is going to go - AND THAT IS UP UP UP. Sometimes I can see the obvious which others, maybe more intelligent than myself, don't even think of. So PaulS and maybe yourself should not judge people based on perceived intelligence. I have made a handful of people quite richer than they ever would have been and I will always be their messiah.

So if you like I will put on my long list for free financial advice, but you must have the guts to jump in even when you think I am mad. The ones who followed me are now retiring early and the ones who never are squirming, spewing and kicking themselves -- and slaving away at jobs which they may hate.

And you must shout me to many free lunches at top restaurants like the others do in appreciation. But I am a tee-totaller so don't worry, just the grub is enough.

starter
In the share -market we call them counter-cyclicalists (not sure of spelling...Baz?...kegless?).
Anyhow, you have lunch with the official investment analysts from the large broking houses; you listen to their gossip on what to buy_sell; and then you sell_buy.
Can work a treat.

Sounds like a/c uses a similar strategem.

starter

antichrist
No not really, I just do my own thing, I don't consult anyone or listen to anyone to counter. People around me just try to caution me, that is how I know what the prevailing position is.

When I think of it, this method would be the last place a conservative NSWCA would be likely to jump in. One can't do a in-depth financial report on one's intuition. And my character is just to explain by one sentence and if they can't understand or want to query it I am not interested in discussing anymore. Because they cannot see what I can see, it is as simple as that. I did the same thirty years ago and got 300% also in three years. And against all professional advice. I bought six properties would you believe, and I was only on a wage. My mother used to accuse me of being the patron saint of .........

This is why I don't respect all the previous and current chess admininstrators in NSW. If they would have had one Lebo in there they would have had their premises 100 years ago.

positive?

FG7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bot
Just because I'm a member of the NRMA or MBF etc does not mean I can just waltz in and attend a board meeting. It is no different with NSWCA Council meetings and the NSWCA Contitution gives members no such right.

Autocrat!

Cheers Fg7

antichrist
25-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by antichrist
I was going to pull off the old Lebo Muslim trick. I would donate $10,000 towards the building and get about another 50 to 100 people to do likewise. The form of the donation or loan could be flexible, with some it could be a staight out donation, and others a perpetual loan or a fifty-year loan interest free. Any combination.

Bill Gletsos
I remember Peter Parr announcing this sort of idea (I think the amount was much less than $10,000) with regards a chess centre back in his Chess in Australia/Australian Chess Magazine and as I understand it he never got very many takers.

antichrist
25-05-2005, 11:45 AM
I can't remember him telling me this. Chess followers must be the most dedicated followers of all yet they all have snakes in their pockets.

This is exactly what I found out when running the Sydney CBD Chess Club. Barristers would come in every week and refuse to join for $5 or anything to help us with equipment. KS agrees with me that chessplayers are stingy.

Now you know my MO, whether it be NSWJCL, NSWCA or SYDNEY CBD CHESS CLUB, if I am not appreciated etc nor other people contributing as well I walk out. I won't be a sucker.

Eric
25-05-2005, 02:05 PM
I can't remember him telling me this. Chess followers must be the most dedicated followers of all yet they all have snakes in their pockets.

This is exactly what I found out when running the Sydney CBD Chess Club. Barristers would come in every week and refuse to join for $5 or anything to help us with equipment. KS agrees with me that chessplayers are stingy.

Now you know my MO, whether it be NSWJCL, NSWCA or SYDNEY CBD CHESS CLUB, if I am not appreciated etc nor other people contributing as well I walk out. I won't be a sucker.

'You 'attended' only one meeting of the NSWJCL. After 15 minutes into the meeting you feel into a deep sleep from which you did not awake until the end of the meeting. There was no issue involved in you being appreciated as you contributed absolutely nothing. Yes, you did 'walk out' after waking up.

Bill Gletsos
25-05-2005, 03:28 PM
'You 'attended' only one meeting of the NSWJCL.Sounds like a worse record of attendence at meetings than Matt had at NSWCA meetings. :hmm:

After 15 minutes into the meeting you feel into a deep sleep from which you did not awake until the end of the meeting. There was no issue involved in you being appreciated as you contributed absolutely nothing. Yes, you did 'walk out' after waking up.Yes, well at least Matt stayed awake.
In fact A/C's record on a chess centre was very similar to Sweeneys.
A/C was asked to provide a report to the NSWCA Council and did nothing about it.
Matt abrogated any rights to criticise the NSWCA Council with regards a Sydney Chess Centre when he failed to do absolutely anything about it when give the opportunity to do so last year. :whistle:
As has been said repeatedly before he was asked as chairman of the SCC committee with organising a SCC meeting at the Jan 2004 NSWCA council meeting and reporting back to the Feb meeting. He failed to organise the meeting and did not attend the Feb Council meeting (no apology was given). At the March meeting he was again asked to organise the a SCC meeting and report back to the April Council meeting. He again failed to do so and did not attend the April, May or June council meetings all with no apology. In line with the NSWCA constitution he was removed from Council. The Council then appointed ex ACF President Robert Coulhoun to chair the SCC meetings. The SCC Committee determined that a SCC was not financially viable at this time, a view supported by the Council.

Duff McKagan
25-05-2005, 04:16 PM
The Council then appointed ex ACF President Robert Coulhoun to chair the SCC meetings. The SCC Committee determined that a SCC was not financially viable at this time, a view supported by the Council.

What did Peter Hanna and Matthew Sweeney say about that when it was reported to the AGM if they were there? :lol:

Bill Gletsos
25-05-2005, 04:32 PM
What did Peter Hanna and Matthew Sweeney say about that when it was reported to the AGM if they were there? :lol:Peter wasnt at the meeting. Matt was present but as far as I recall he didnt make any real comment and he certainly didnt raise any criticism of the Council at that time. Of course if he had we would have highlighted how useless he had been and done nothing whilst on Council.

antichrist
25-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Eric you are a big liar, I did not attend one meeting of JCL, I did not attend any, you must have had me mixed me up with someone else. I only used JCL as an excuse when I wanted to have a night out on the town with a fluesy. That is why I am not sure and mix things up.

I am sure Kerry will vouch that he did not recognise me there at all.

Duff McKagan
25-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Peter wasnt at the meeting. Matt was present but as far as I recall he didnt make any real comment and he certainly didnt raise any criticism of the Council at that time. Of course if he had we would have highlighted how useless he had been and done nothing whilst on Council.

Because this chess centre thing is causing trouble all around, could the report by Robert Colquhoun which recommended a chess centre in Sydney was not financially viable be made available for people here to see what the real situation is in detail?

Bill Gletsos
25-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Because this chess centre thing is causing trouble all around, could the report by Robert Colquhoun which recommended a chess centre in Sydney was not financially viable be made available for people here to see what the real situation is in detail?The motion passed at the 2003 AGM was that the SCC committee provide a report for the Council, not the members. The Council was to report on the preferred option at the 2004 AGM.
If everyone was so interested in it they should have attended the 2004 AGM where they could have discussed the chess centre.

Eric
26-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Eric you are a big liar, I did not attend one meeting of JCL, I did not attend any, you must have had me mixed me up with someone else. I only used JCL as an excuse when I wanted to have a night out on the town with a fluesy. That is why I am not sure and mix things up.

I am sure Kerry will vouch that he did not recognise me there at all.

You attended one JCL meeting. After 15 minutes you fell into a deep sleep which lasted the rest of the meeting. You 'walked out' after you woke up and never attended another one. Don't expect Kerry or anyone else to lie for you.

Duff McKagan
26-05-2005, 07:49 AM
The motion passed at the 2003 AGM was that the SCC committee provide a report for the Council, not the members.

OK, but what were the details in the in the report? We only want to know what the numbers were. :rolleyes: You know, stuff like prices and repayments and commercial partners etc

Cheers :)

Bill Gletsos
26-05-2005, 11:08 AM
OK, but what were the details in the in the report? We only want to know what the numbers were. :rolleyes: You know, stuff like prices and repayments and commercial partners etc

Cheers :)Duff,
I mentioned figures at the AGM.
I'm not prepared to publish them on the BB. However next time I see you, I'll answer your questions.

antichrist
26-05-2005, 11:44 AM
You attended one JCL meeting. After 15 minutes you fell into a deep sleep which lasted the rest of the meeting. You 'walked out' after you woke up and never attended another one. Don't expect Kerry or anyone else to lie for you.

Oh, now I remember that night. During the sleep I had a ... dream, woke up all soaken and the whole room was looking at me and laughing.. That was a beauty, how could I forget.

Eric
26-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Oh, now I remember that night. During the sleep I had a ... dream, woke up all soaken and the whole room was looking at me and laughing.. That was a beauty, how could I forget.

It is you who tells the lies and acts the fool. Trust me, you were laughed at long before you went to sleep and woke up.

antichrist
26-05-2005, 12:21 PM
It is you who tells the lies and acts the fool. Trust me, you were laughed at long before you went to sleep and woke up.

Now ek, what is your real gripe, is it that I am a happy, jovial fello who doesn't get upset at all the chess mitfits around the place. They all take themselves so seriously. KB's face wouldn't crack a smile if a double decker bus ran into him -- his nickname is "the undertaker" I believe. Kerry, in a moment of solidatory with those imprisoned refugees, sewed his lips up, and Jase has got the bitchy PM down to an art.

What is your real name anyway, I have so many enemies I wouldn't have a clue who you are.

Gringo
26-05-2005, 12:28 PM
A Fruit Loop calling others "Chess Misfits" is beyond the Pale.

Eric
26-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Now ek, what is your real gripe, is it that I am a happy, jovial fello who doesn't get upset at all the chess mitfits around the place. They all take themselves so seriously. KB's face wouldn't crack a smile if a double decker bus ran into him -- his nickname is "the undertaker" I believe. Kerry, in a moment of solidatory with those imprisoned refugees, sewed his lips up, and Jase has got the bitchy PM down to an art.

What is your real name anyway, I have so many enemies I wouldn't have a clue who you are.

I'm not your enemy. I just don't suffer boofheads who lie gladly. There is a distinction between being jovial and stupid. Unfortunately for you, you fall in the latter category.

antichrist
26-05-2005, 12:39 PM
You have made a lot of allegations there, so we will just treat one at a time. Why do you waste your time with me if that is your opinion? You obiously don't know my MO.

Eric
26-05-2005, 12:48 PM
You have made a lot of allegations there, so we will just treat one at a time. Why do you waste your time with me if that is your opinion? You obiously don't know my MO.

I know your 'MO' all too well. It's perpetual stupidity. You're right. I'm bored with you. You're about as challenging as shooting fish in a barrel.

antichrist
26-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I know your 'MO' all too well. It's perpetual stupidity. You're right. I'm bored with you. You're about as challenging as shooting fish in a barrel.

Another win for A/C!

Eric
26-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Another win for A/C!

Yea, just like the Blues and Manchester United.

antichrist
30-05-2005, 11:48 PM
The NSWCA as far as I know may have between $40,000 and $80,000, this is more than sufficient to kick things off. Haven't you heard of borrowing money, of members giving guarantees, of members giving large donations, of renting premises out to help make installments, of wills being left in favour of associations etc etc. You don't have much imagination so I can see why you can't imagine a chess centre. I must argue with Bill because he is an influential member of the committee and is part of the problem of why we don't have a centre. So you just close your eyes and don't get in the way. Another point, I was told by chess gurus in Sydney that I would not get 10 people to the SEC, it shows that I can see a little better than "experts" and I was only a beginner in the chess world then. My own regret it that I was too busy when I had the idea before the lastest round of hyper real estate price rises in Sydney.

jase
31-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Conceptually a Sydney Chess Centre, within walk of the transport hubs in the city (eg. Central/Broadway or any of the train stations in town) would be terrific. The NSW Bridge Centre established in the city 20 years ago, through a bequest, and have maintained an excellent venue of some 400m2.

The chess community would require a space that could accommodate 100 people. For the NSW Junior Chess League to come on board, the space might need to be larger, since most of their events exceed 100 players. For the purposes of this post, let us consider the viability of a space of 200m2 - large enough for perhaps 120 players (a rule of thumb is 2m2 per player, but no doubt we could fit extra in for a big tournament).

Such a premises might cost from $60K annually to rent, or upwards of $600K to purchase outright. So from the outset we identify that the NSWCA has sufficient funds to cover the 1st year of rent, or a deposit on a purchase.
This ought to end any reasoned discussion about NSWCA reserves being the cornerstone of funding a Sydney Chess Centre.

It does not terminate the prospects of such a premises coming into being, it just denotes that NSWCA reserves have only a small part to play.

The NSWCA therefore needs the support of one or more of the following:

a. NSWJCL
b. Private Enterprise
c. Benefactor/s

--------------------------------

a. NSWJCL

It has previously been established that the NSWJCL has stern reservations about the location of such a premises. There are extremely conservative views at play which need appeasing. These views do not necessarily reflect a symbiosis with the facts concerning matters such as safety in the inner-city, however the NSWJCL is a far larger and healthier organisation than its senior counterpart, and their involvement is essential to the viability of a city premises. Thet are by far the liklier to be in a position to control their own premises within the next decade.

b. Private Enterprise

Essentially the concept is that a retailer manages the space, subsides the rent, recouping outlays through increased turnover as a result of more patrons.

Peter Parr owns Chess Discount Sales. His proposal, about a year ago, was to rent the ground floor of the building where his shop is located (it is in the basement level). The rent at that time was about $50K, of which Peter offered to pay half, with the NSWCA and NSWJCL coming to terms regarding the other half. The space is approximately 170m2 in size.

The NSWJCL expressed concerns over size and location: it wasn't big enough for many of their activities, and they find the location unseemly. It's an excellent spot for adults, close to major transport hubs.

Sydney's western sprawl may continue apace, but the city remains the ideal location by a country mile. If you think otherwise, try this: Take a map of Sydney. Pin it to a wall. Steo back a few paces and throw 10 darts at it. Calculate the time it will take by public transport to reach the city from these 10 spots (www.131500.com). Measure it against your own location. Okay? A better argument for a non-city venue is cost.

Peter's was an excellent proposal, however it presented complex issues such as conflicts of interest, viability, and management. These were not adequately addressed by any of the parties (Peter Parr, the NSWCA, the NSWJCL) at the time. For example the NSWJCL thought it would not be able to make good use of the venue, however still offered to put in about $5K a year if it would make the venture happen. Peter Parr failed to address the NSWJCL's concerns to their satisfaction.

c. Benefactor/s

The notion that 50 or 100 chess players are going to tip in $10K each befits its promoter on this thread. However benefactors do exist, as evidenced by the firm that donated $10K about a year ago.

I am certain that if a sizable bequest was made to the NSWCA or NSWJCL, a purchase of their own premises would be high on the agenda. It is how the MCC came to life; ditto the aforementioned NSW Bridge Centre. Certainly there is considerable wealth in some pockets, however it remains to be seen if any of it finds its way towards the purchase of a chess premises.

-----------------------------

I think that for a city premises to succeed, the involvement and co-operation of all three of the above concerns is required. Such a venture, if undertaken, needs to be done very well to be a success. A Sydney Chess Centre is not of its own accord a panacea for the NSWCA and its community.

Spiny Norman
31-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Why not take a long-term view? Its much harder to convince people to part with $10K of hard-earned when they're in their prime. Cash is king. People need it to put their kids through school, etc.

Set up a cookie-cutter will, so that people can relatively easily make a bequest. Accumulate funds over the next 20-25 years or so.

Bill Gletsos
31-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Peter Parr owns Chess Discount Sales. His proposal, about a year ago, was to rent the ground floor of the building where his shop is located (it is in the basement level). The rent at that time was about $50K, of which Peter offered to pay half, with the NSWCA and NSWJCL coming to terms regarding the other half. The space is approximately 170m2 in size.Actually Peter first raised this issue back in 1998. He raised it again last year as his lease was expiring. The rent according to the real estate agent was around $64k per annum.

For example the NSWJCL thought it would not be able to make good use of the venue, however still offered to put in about $5K a year if it would make the venture happen. Peter Parr failed to address the NSWJCL's concerns to their satisfaction.Actually that $5,000 you mention was for the 1998 proposal by Peter. The NSWJCL indicated they were not interested at all in Peter's proposal last year.

pax
31-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Why not take a long-term view? Its much harder to convince people to part with $10K of hard-earned when they're in their prime. Cash is king. People need it to put their kids through school, etc.

Set up a cookie-cutter will, so that people can relatively easily make a bequest. Accumulate funds over the next 20-25 years or so.

This is the best idea of the lot.

Lobbying people to bequest to the Chess Association is a really good way to go, especially if you can do the legwork in order to make it easier for people to add Chess to their wills.

Send letters, lobby actively, tell people what they make happen with the money (contribute to a Chess Centre, endow a Master tournament, endow a coaching fund etc etc). The main thing is planting the idea that Chess can be a great high profile way of doing something really great and constructive with your will. Just look at all the press coverage of the $16m donation to the conservatorium last week.

antichrist
31-05-2005, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=jase]Conceptually a Sydney Chess Centre, within walk of the transport hubs in the city (eg. Central/Broadway or any of the train stations in town) would be terrific. The NSW Bridge Centre established in the city 20 years ago, through a bequest, and have maintained an excellent venue of some 400m2.

The chess community would require a space that could accommodate 100 people. For the NSW Junior Chess League to come on board, the space might need to be larger, since most of their events exceed 100 players. For the purposes of this post, let us consider the viability of a space of 200m2 - large enough for perhaps 120 players (a rule of thumb is 2m2 per player, but no doubt we could fit extra in for a big tournament).

Such a premises might cost from $60K annually to rent, or upwards of $600K to purchase outright. So from the outset we identify that the NSWCA has sufficient funds to cover the 1st year of rent, or a deposit on a purchase.
This ought to end any reasoned discussion about NSWCA reserves being the cornerstone of funding a Sydney Chess Centre. ...

A/C
I have not checked out but I imagine $80K to cover deposit and fees would be sufficient. Donations or private loans could be called for if there is a deficit. The most important calculation is if the premises were rented out that installments and other expenses could be covered. A very big IF but not beyond us. The other possibility is of a chess-playing business premises owner in the city prepared to sell at a discount - which should be canvassed.

I think where you are way out is the $600K price tag, 10 years ago maybe, still today???

jase
31-05-2005, 12:40 PM
I think where you are way out is the $600K price tag, 10 years ago maybe, still today???

Commercial property prices start at $3K per square metre; it depends on where you want to buy.

In city fringe suburbs like Alexandria or Roseberry you might find it a little cheaper. For example http://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/44745/upn

Closer to Central in suburbs like Surry Hills, prices start at about $3.5K per square metre, like: http://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/41825/upn

antichrist
31-05-2005, 03:36 PM
What it comes down to is that people fluctate in out of situations. If there was a building fund or purchase money will be donated or left in wills, whilst there is nothing not much money comes in.

If I make a hot investment as sometimes do and in a good mood even I could donate a hefty amount, whereas other times I have the ar.e out of my pants, which shows in my dressing.

But on only seeing skepticism and inaction by the assoc. I just put the money elsewhere and the assoc. gets nowhere while prices skyrocket over the past 100 years since chess has been going here.

arosar
03-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Never mind a NSW Chess Centre. The fellas held their first chess night at Strawberry Hills Hotel tonight. Start time is just as the free jazz sessions begin - at 5.30PM. We play in the back just behind the band. Great place, cheap $5 steaks! If we're not here, we're prolly at the Spanish Club.

AR

The_Wise_Man
07-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Arosar

Can you confirm the day of the week and starting time?

Wise

arosar
07-07-2005, 06:02 AM
It's informal man - not a proper club. We just rock up to the pub around about 5.30 or so on Sunday evening. But not every Sunday. I'm just saying, it's a good venue to play chess in on your Sunday avros.

AR

Trent Parker
10-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Couldn't find Strawberry hills hotel at yellowpages.com.au but found it searching on sensis!

arosar
10-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Well, glad you did find the place though. Didn't expect to see you there.

For everyone else who wants to come along, the pub is at the corner of Elizabeth and Devonshire Sts in Surry Hills. Regular fixtures every Sunday, 5-8PM, is The New Orleanians - with band leader Bill Dudley.

Great music, cheap steaks, and good comfy atmosphere.

AR

PHAT
11-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Surry Hills.

OMFG! Imagine chess there. :eek:

[Sarcasm for those who are not from Sydney and don't know that some fools don't wont to a chess centre there.]

antichrist
11-07-2005, 12:03 PM
OMFG! Imagine chess there. :eek:

[Sarcasm for those who are not from Sydney and don't know that some fools don't wont to a chess centre there.]

Surry Hills has been chic for years, next door to Peter Parr's. Bet you could not afford there.

PHAT
11-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Surry Hills has been chic for years, next door to Peter Parr's. Bet you could not afford there.

Try this, I have sourced 200 sqm @ $20k per year in Mary St. Nobody in NSW chess wants to know about it because they are too risk averse and fightened of the new. :P

jase
11-07-2005, 03:43 PM
I know Mary St. Do you have a url link? I'm curious - that sort of space would normally be $40-70K, depending on type of space, fitout, floor level etc.

Is there a catch or is it a great deal?

antichrist
17-09-2006, 03:04 PM

Lo and behold, picked up an old Chess in Aussie March 1987 and there Peter Parr talks about issueing shares of $2000 bucks each, with him taking $50 grands worth. Estimated cost of building $350K. What a shame it did not go ahead.

bergil
17-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Lo and behold, picked up an old Chess in Aussie March 1987 and there Peter Parr talks about issueing shares of $2000 bucks each, with him taking $50 grands worth. Estimated cost of building $350K. What a shame it did not go ahead.Don't worry mate, From Mr Parr's site "Provision is being made for the purchase of a substantial building in the Sydney CBD for a chess centre from the year 2025." Looks like he's going to leave it to the NSWCA when he passes on. :clap:

MichaelBaron
17-09-2006, 05:24 PM
2025.....Still a long way away.:hmm:

peter_parr
19-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Don't worry mate, From Mr Parr's site "Provision is being made for the purchase of a substantial building in the Sydney CBD for a chess centre from the year 2025." Looks like he's going to leave it to the NSWCA when he passes on. :clap:

The purchase of a substantial building in the year 2025 in the Sydney CBD announced at the end of the last year century remains on schedule.

A board of 5 will govern the centre. It will not be left to the NSWCA. In 1979 I sold my two storey house investing the proceeds in renting a chess centre in the CBD (80 players) 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

It was a great success 300 members in 9 months and profitable despite high inner city rent.
More than 100 years of NSW Championships sees a very poor grand total entry of 47 in 2006.

NSW has made little progress in 100 years yet a penniless pommy assisted passage migrant has sold millions of dollars worth of chess goods in the last third of a century in the Sydney CBD.

When will NSW wake up??
Chess is more popular now that at any time in history.
Sales of chess products in Sydney CBD increase every year.

A chess centre in the Sydney CBD could open much sooner if NSWCA were interested My offers to pay all setting up costs plus 50% of the rent are rejected - but I will not be the first to wait 40 years in the wilderness to enter the promised land (building).

Future generations of chess players will be grateful even if I do not see the opening myself in the year 2025.

The_Wise_Man
19-09-2006, 01:54 PM
I would say that if the NSWCA cannot go it alone, then it should seek tenders of interest in such a venture. An independent and open process that does not disadvantage any parties. The successful tenderer would then with the NSWCA procure a Chess Centre in the Sydney CBD.

Its time that the NSWCA acted with proper due diligence and governance on such an important issue.

Wise

MichaelBaron
19-09-2006, 02:21 PM
NSW has made little progress in 100 years yet a penniless pommy assisted passage migrant has sold millions of dollars worth of chess goods in the last third of a century in the Sydney CBD.

Future generations of chess players will be grateful even if I do not see the opening myself in the year 2025.

:clap: I think we should thank Peter for his generosity.

As for NSWCA..its inefficiency is not surprising. That the case with many state associations I guess (certainly with Chess Victoria). I think its about time we learned that professinal chess managers/coaches/booksellers are the people who are needed in chess administration.

In Melbourne we got about 5 or so successful chess coaching firms. In NSW, Peter Parr and Brian Jones are living proof that chess indeedcan be profitable. Yet, when it comes to ACF, Chess Victoria and other "non-profit" bodies such successes never seem to be emulated.:hmm:

Denis_Jessop
19-09-2006, 03:10 PM
:clap: I think we should thank Peter for his generosity.

As for NSWCA..its inefficiency is not surprising. That the case with many state associations I guess (certainly with Chess Victoria). I think its about time we learned that professinal chess managers/coaches/booksellers are the people who are needed in chess administration.

In Melbourne we got about 5 or so successful chess coaching firms. In NSW, Peter Parr and Brian Jones are living proof that chess indeedcan be profitable. Yet, when it comes to ACF, Chess Victoria and other "non-profit" bodies such successes never seem to be emulated.:hmm:

I agree in many respects with your sentiments, Michael, but I think that there is an important reservation to be made to the general proposition.

Chess administration involves two main aspects - first, administration pure and simple, for example simply keeping the organisation running and making policy decisions and, secondly, the provision of services such as the running of events, maintenance of a website and newsletter and fund raising.

The first of these aspects can, for people running chess businesses, involve conflicts of interest and it is probably wiser for them to stay clear of it. The second however can benefit greatly from cooperation between the administrators and the chess business operators. The ACF is moving in that direction. For example, this year (and next) it has a really professionally run Grand Prix, thanks to Brian Jones. I hope and expect this trend to continue and to grow. The opportunities for this kind of cooperation are relatively recent as it is only in recent years that chess coaching, for example, has become a realistic commercial proposition. I would also like to see the ACF run its own events rather than relying on State Associations to do so, especially when the State Associations outsource the event to someone else. The ACF can do that direct. That is being done with the Australian Open this year and I am confident that it will succeed.

DJ

PS as edit: I should clarify my comment about State Associations. I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't run ACF Championships - they have a lot of organisational expertise on the ground - but that the basis of their doing so should be re-thought. At present it rests on out-of-date historical grounds.

DJ

antichrist
21-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Don't worry mate, From Mr Parr's site "Provision is being made for the purchase of a substantial building in the Sydney CBD for a chess centre from the year 2025." Looks like he's going to leave it to the NSWCA when he passes on. :clap:

Yes maybe, but is a very poor 4th best option, 40 years too late and involving no responsibility or involvement of chess community like there should have been to 1987 option. Real estate prices of 1987 would have been a fraction of 2025. Now Peter must be careful that no one knocks him off to get at the dough.

peter_parr
25-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Now Peter must be careful that no one knocks him off to get at the dough.

The provision for the purchase stated in 1999 and confirmed in 2006 is for the year 2025 in the Sydney CBD.

Date of death is not relevant maybe the later the better the provision.

antichrist
26-09-2006, 03:07 PM
The provision for the purchase stated in 1999 and confirmed in 2006 is for the year 2025 in the Sydney CBD.

Date of death is not relevant maybe the later the better the provision.

Well it had better be called the Peter Parr Chess Centre

Brian_Jones
26-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Well it had better be called the Peter Parr Chess Centre

I would ask to see the colour of his money first.

Ian Murray
26-09-2006, 06:11 PM

As a Brisbane onlooker I have no axe to grind, but is the CBD a good option, seeing as the geographical centre of Sydney is now around Parramatta somewhere, and moving west.

Though perhaps Peter has a locked-down option on a CBD property

peter_parr
27-09-2006, 12:08 PM
I would ask to see the colour of his money first.

Your grandchildren will say well done(!) at the 2025 opening ceremony.
Peter Parr was right.

Brian approves of the new Chess Centre near Central station in the CBD in Ankara but not Sydney. Why is that Brian?

It will be in the CBD and not around aptly named parr-amatta.

arosar
27-09-2006, 12:15 PM
It will be in the CBD and not around aptly named parr-amatta.

OK, now that made me laugh. Totally unexpected. A big hit. Classic post nomination?

AR

Brian_Jones
27-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Brian approves of the new Chess Centre near Central station in the CBD in Ankara but not Sydney. Why is that Brian? It will be in the CBD and not around aptly named parr-amatta.

In Sydney, the Central Station is not very central.

Parramatta is more central and is a convenient location for important chess events.

But chess clubs need to be located in all major centres all over Sydney.

The ACF and NSWCA themselves can decide where they want their HQs.

Maybe Peter Parr wants to sponsor the SIO at Parr-amatta.
Here is a sponsorship form.

Garvinator
27-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Maybe Peter Parr wants to sponsor the SIO at Parr-amatta. Here is a sponsorship form.
Sorry, but I found this comment from Brian as hysterically funny. Peter sponsoring a Brian Jones event :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pax
27-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Sorry, but I found this comment from Brian as hysterically funny. Peter sponsoring a Brian Jones event :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least Brian would say thankyou ;)

Garvinator
27-09-2006, 02:10 PM
At least Brian would say thankyou ;)
maybe the Gold sponsorship could be in Gold glass chess sets :whistle:

Desmond
27-09-2006, 02:21 PM
maybe the Gold sponsorship could be in Gold glass chess sets :whistle:Is that where you get to sit in Meran recliners and play in the dark?

arosar
27-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Is that where you get to sit in Meran recliners and play in the dark?

Oooohhh...yeah....with a Slav woman sitting on your lap. Mmm...

AR

pax
27-09-2006, 02:28 PM
In Sydney, the Central Station is not very central.

Parramatta is more central and is a convenient location for important chess events.

It's "in the middle" - that does not necessarily make it easier to get to. I wouldn't fancy trying to get there from Manly or Cronulla by car, let alone by public transport. At least the CBD is accessible by public transport from nearly everywhere.

arosar
27-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Listen here pax, I thought we were on a roll there. You broke the rhythm you know.

Anyway, I so agreed with you. I am far from the CBD but I prefer to travel there than West Ryde.

AR

Brian_Jones
27-09-2006, 03:03 PM
At least the CBD is accessible by public transport from nearly everywhere.

But most people travel by car, especially for leisure activities such as chess.

Only the CBD workers travel by public transport (and many of these would use their cars if only they had free parking spaces!)

pax
27-09-2006, 03:08 PM
But most people travel by car, especially for leisure activities such as chess.

Only the CBD workers travel by public transport (and many of these would use their cars if only they had free parking spaces!)

Some people only have one car, and a family that wants to use that car on the weekends. Some people don't even have a car (fancy that)..

I think you might be surprised to see the number of people that use public transport to get to chess events - if that option is available to them.

antichrist
27-09-2006, 03:25 PM
I am all for the Central public transport option. I have went to many events at Central and people came from all over Sydney, why, because it is usually only one mode of public transport away from their home.

And Brian, when we see the colour of your will/affadavid(?) or trust fund in favour of the Brian Jones Parramatta Chess Centre well then you can comment - you will be in the same league. I hope that Peter even picks up another honour for such a generous act. We should treasure our heros. The only person in 100 years of chess in Sydney to be responsible on this issue on a number of occasions. Halaluya brother. (this Lebo was sidestepped by the Sydney property boom from having a go at it) (if anyone sees a "Rose Hancock" get anywhere near Peter warn me and I will crash tackle her - in more way than one - sorry AR)

bergil
27-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Some people only have one car, and a family that wants to use that car on the weekends. Some people don't even have a car (fancy that)..

I think you might be surprised to see the number of people that use public transport to get to chess events - if that option is available to them.Well then why doesn't the other family member drop them and or pick them up, you could carpool/get a lift or ride a bike? Government buses go to Parramatta and did you know there is a train station there as well. :rolleyes:

C'mon Pax, the city and Eastern Suburbs have been tried and didn't pull the numbers; they also cost more in room hire to run the tournament there as well.

I think as many of the chess clubs in Sydney as possible should host a weekend tournament.

pax
27-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Well then why doesn't the other family member drop them and or pick them up, you could carpool/get a lift or ride a bike? Government buses go to Parramatta and did you know there is a train station there as well. :rolleyes:

C'mon Pax, the city and Eastern Suburbs have been tried and didn't pull the numbers; they also cost more in room hire to run the tournament there as well.

I think as many of the chess clubs in Sydney as possible should host a weekend tournament.

Are you even following this argument?

It is not about weekenders in Parramatta/Penrith/wherever. It is about whether a Sydney Chess Centre is best placed in the CBD or Parramatta or somewhere else.

Brian_Jones
27-09-2006, 04:59 PM
It is about whether a Sydney Chess Centre is best placed in the CBD or Parramatta or somewhere else.

No it's not. It's about the basic feasibility of a Sydney Chess Centre.

A full-time Chess Centre or chess club is is a pipedream without the support of NSWCA, NSWJCL and/or chess businesses.

The project would require real money not the promise of something (maybe) in 20 years time from Parr or Hanna!

pax
27-09-2006, 05:10 PM

A full-time Chess Centre or chess club is is a pipedream without the support of NSWCA, NSWJCL and/or chess businesses.

The project would require real money not the promise of something (maybe) in 20 years time from Parr or Hanna!

If somebody says to the NSWCA: "Here is a CBD property that you can have in 2025 as a Chess Centre", how could they possibly refuse such an offer? In my view a NSW Chess Centre is a pipedream without a massive bequest, donation or sponsorship (to the tune of many hundreds of $ks).

peter_parr
28-09-2006, 01:06 PM
I repeat my post 113 below

Note - The decision on the location made in 1999 in the CBD is final.
A board of 5 will govern the chess centre not NSWCA.
Thousands of overseas tourists stay in the CBD not the suburbs.

The purchase will revolutionise chess in NSW. When I sold my house in 1979 and opened a rented chess centre open 12 hours a day 7 days a week in the CBD I had over 300 annual members within nine months. I anticipate that within 12 months of opening in 2025 the Chess Centre of NSW will have the largest membership and will become the organisation in NSW affiliated to ACF. The board of 5 governors is important with my strict conditions of board membership.

Of course chess clubs in suburbs like Parr - amatta would be essential. The teaching of chess to thousands of children, internet connections, enormous chess activity in the Chess Centre in the CBD will I am sure multiply many times the level of activity of chess.

The purchase of a substantial building in the year 2025 in the Sydney CBD announced at the end of the last year century remains on schedule.

A board of 5 will govern the centre. It will not be left to the NSWCA. In 1979 I sold my two storey house investing the proceeds in renting a chess centre in the CBD (80 players) 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

It was a great success 300 members in 9 months and profitable despite high inner city rent.
More than 100 years of NSW Championships sees a very poor grand total entry of 47 in 2006.

When will NSW wake up??
Chess is more popular now that at any time in history.
Sales of chess products in Sydney CBD increase every year.

A chess centre in the Sydney CBD could open much sooner if NSWCA were interested My offers to pay all setting up costs plus 50% of the rent are rejected - but I will not be the first to wait 40 years in the wilderness to enter the promised land (building).

I acknowledge receipt of the request of Brian Jones for sponsorship of his tournament. My reply follows.

In the year 2006 my sponsorship includes numerous beautiful glass chess sets and boards valued by many for life, 25 chess clocks for juniors in Canberra in the nationals, books for NSW Junior Chess League as well as sets and boards donated overseas. In each and every case I am satisfied that 100% of the sponsorship given is received by the intended recipient.

On checking the finances of the Australian Open run by Brian Jones at Penrith I have checked Brian's financial statements.
There were a number of sponsors including $5000 from The Pratt Foundation. The Brian Jones Management fee was $1500 and profit of $3616 divided between Brian Jones and the chess administration.

Half the entry fees were returned as prizes. It is with regret that based on these figures supplied by Brian Jones I have decided not to donate to this event.

Brian_Jones
28-09-2006, 01:40 PM
On checking the finances of the Australian Open run by Brian Jones at Penrith I have checked Brian's financial statements. There were a number of sponsors including $5000 from The Pratt Foundation. The Brian Jones Management fee was $1500 and profit of $3616 divided between Brian Jones and the chess administration. .

Yes, my fee was $1500. We live in a modern era, where professionals are paid for their efforts.

Yes, Penrith 2003 made an unplanned surplus of $3616 due to retrospective reduced rental costs.

Yes, the surplus was paid as a dividend to the organisers in accordance with the ACF By-laws.

So 50% of the surplus went to the ACF and 25% of the surplus went to the NSWCA Inc.

As the joint organiser, 25% was retained by Australian Chess Enterprises (ACE) for use in future projects.

The Sydney International Open (SIO) at Parramatta is one of those future projects.

BTW Peter, who will be on your NSW Chess Centre board of 5?

antichrist
28-09-2006, 03:55 PM

You are as bad and negative as the worse I have met in NSW chess. And when Peter's proposal comes to fruitition the negatives they will be run over just like they were when I set off on the SEC to everyone's negative opposition.

And now that we have something to aim at, a focal point, I also will try to leave the chess centre something. When I commenced the CBD chess club every week new potential members and players came in. The club was an instant hit just because it was in the city. With that experience, and with the experience of many other voluntary organisations in the city over decades, I fully recommend and support a CBD chess centre.

Match Peter's offer then open your mouth!

Brian_Jones
28-09-2006, 04:12 PM
And now that we have something to aim at, a focal point, I also will try to leave the chess centre something.

Promises promises. I hope you try real hard Peter. Maybe get the bequest witnessed? I will watch with great excitment!

In the meantime, I will continue to publish chess magazines, organise real chess tournaments and support major projects like the Doeberl Cup and/or the Australian Open!

I promise to continue to avoid Sydney CBD events including your precious SEC!

antichrist
28-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Promises promises. I hope you try real hard Peter. Maybe get the bequest witnessed? I will watch with great excitment!

In the meantime, I will continue to publish chess magazines, organise real chess tournaments and support major projects like the Doeberl Cup and/or the Australian Open!

I promise to continue to avoid Sydney CBD events including your precious SEC!

Someone was doing something positive, after trying a few times in the past and has only copped poop from some posters here. That is absolutely outrageous, and now you are doing the same to myself, why you just be positive or shut up, as Cathy Freeman advised Pauline Hanson.

We need all types of events and some of us are wide-eyed sufficiently to see that, only you are spiteful. Wake up to yourself.

fletch
05-10-2006, 12:02 PM
why do chess players have to put up with dishonset bullies like brian jones running chess events.

the people who allow him to get away with it are as much to blame as he is.

is there anyone running chess in NSW or VIC who cares about doing the right thing.

Basil
05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
why do chess players have to put up with dishonset bullies like brian jones running chess events.

the people who allow him to get away with it are as much to blame as he is.

is there anyone running chess in NSW or VIC who cares about doing the right thing.

'Dishonest' is a big call.

EGOR
05-10-2006, 12:08 PM
'Dishonest' is a big call.
I agree.

Fletch,
Do you have any evidance to support this claim of dishonesty on the part of Brian Jones?

Brian_Jones
05-10-2006, 12:15 PM
why do chess players have to put up with dishonset bullies like brian jones running chess events.the people who allow him to get away with it are as much to blame as he is. is there anyone running chess in NSW or VIC who cares about doing the right thing.

Seems like an unsubstantiated personal attack to me. Who are you fletch? Why are you running away?

fletch
05-10-2006, 12:18 PM
it makes it hard prove anything when it seems people will either back him up or not speak out against him.

the point is in my opion he creates and unpleasent atmosphere and he is one of those bullies who will try to make other people look bad to make himself feel big and to control people and get what he wants.

fletch
05-10-2006, 12:20 PM
i am not running away in fact i will be comming to NSW looking for you.

when you realise who i am you will know why.

EGOR
05-10-2006, 12:24 PM
the point is in my opion he creates and unpleasent atmosphere and he is one of those bullies who will try to make other people look bad to make himself feel big and to control people and get what he wants.
This is not the same as calling him dishonest, if you some way of backing up your claims about Brian, please feel free to PM them to me.
I'd also like to know who you are, but it's up to you.

WhiteElephant
05-10-2006, 12:46 PM
This is not the same as calling him dishonest, if you some way of backing up your claims about Brian, please feel free to PM them to me.
I'd also like to know who you are, but it's up to you.

I believe fletch was the same guy criticising myself, heaviestknight and others for not using our real names as handles. Yet I didn't see him mention his own name anywhere.

Fletch, if you have something to say about Brian, well you are entitled to, but back up your claims rather than make unfounded generalisations.

MichaelBaron
05-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I believe, I do know Fletch's real name ;)

Brian_Jones
05-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Andrew or Steven?

MichaelBaron
05-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Andrew or Steven?

;)

Brian_Jones
05-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Just to set the record straight, I have no real objection to a NSW Chess Centre in the Sydney CBD.

Although the location would not suit me personally, and I could not support NSWCA or NSWJCL committing largescale funding, I am in favour of the project going ahead. Furthermore, I am more than happy to:

1. Become a member of the chess club.

2. Take a modest personal share in any building fund (subject of course to due diligence.)

So come on antichrist and others, I offer some positive support to whoever is going to run with the NSW Chess Centre project!

Garvinator
05-10-2006, 03:06 PM
I am sure there are many people who would have given long odds to a Peter Parr and Brian Jones large scale project ;) :uhoh:

antichrist
05-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Just to set the record straight, I have no real objection to a NSW Chess Centre in the Sydney CBD.

Although the location would not suit me personally, and I could not support NSWCA or NSWJCL committing largescale funding, I am in favour of the project going ahead. Furthermore, I am more than happy to:

1. Become a member of the chess club.

2. Take a modest personal share in any building fund (subject of course to due diligence.)

So come on antichrist and others, I offer some positive support to whoever is going to run with the NSW Chess Centre project!

I WAS very happy to run with it a few years ago when real estate prices were down but now i think we are relying on Peter Parr to do the tremendeous right undeserved generous thing by us. I just wish I was younger to see it all come about and be there for the opening ceremony.

fletch
06-10-2006, 03:13 PM
first of all since i think most chess players who know me know me as fletch
i am not hiding behind a fake handle.

also i admit most of my comments were based on personnel opion however this is based on the experience of being bullied by lee and brian and being told that lee and brian were out to harm me someway(i have no idea why) and being told that lee had once entered a tournament just to stop me from winning.

EGOR
06-10-2006, 03:22 PM
I still don't know who you are, but that's my problem, not yours.

also i admit most of my comments were based on personnel opion however this is based on the experience of being bullied by lee and brian and being told that lee and brian were out to harm me someway(i have no idea why) and being told that lee had once entered a tournament just to stop me from winning.
Bullied by Brian & Lee! I'm finding myself wanting to make all kinds of jokes, sorry. I can only imagine my response to Brian & Lee trying to bully me as laughter, but I'm not you.
If they have really treated you this way my hope is that they wake up to themselves, a apologies.
On the other side, if they bully you again, let me know and "I'll make them an offer they cannot refuse".:D

bergil
06-10-2006, 03:31 PM
i am not hiding behind a fake handle.Are you the Mark Fletcher that attended Waverly College?

fletch
06-10-2006, 05:46 PM
no i am the fletcher from the old tv series porrige.

WhiteElephant
06-10-2006, 06:02 PM
i admit most of my comments were based on personnel opion however this is based on the experience of being bullied by lee and brian and being told that lee and brian were out to harm me someway(i have no idea why) and being told that lee had once entered a tournament just to stop me from winning.

Outrageous!!! Brian, tell us it isn't true. :)

MichaelBaron
07-10-2006, 01:42 AM

Its ok...Fletch...you will get em..just ask Rogers and Johansen to enter the next tournament Lee is playing..so he does not win :owned:

Brian_Jones
07-10-2006, 08:35 AM
also i admit most of my comments were based on personnel opion

What no facts? I'll take this as an apology (and a withdrawal of what you said earlier).

experience of being bullied by lee and brian and being told that lee and brian were out to harm me someway(i have no idea why) and being told that lee had once entered a tournament just to stop me from winning.

And this is where you lose all your credibility.

antichrist
07-10-2006, 02:45 PM

Now Fletch, tell them the whole story, how you offered to pay my entry fees to knock out the Jones family but I was too busy.

firegoat7
07-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Bullied by Brian & Lee! I'm finding myself wanting to make all kinds of jokes, sorry. I can only imagine my response to Brian & Lee trying to bully me as laughter, but I'm not you.
If they have really treated you this way my hope is that they wake up to themselves, a apologies.
On the other side, if they bully you again, let me know and "I'll make them an offer they cannot refuse".:D

I find this difficult to believe and urge you to seek medical help immediately.

cheers Fg7

EGOR
09-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I find this difficult to believe and urge you to seek medical help immediately.
I'm told that I'm beyond medical help.:lol: