PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks

Muzzy
21-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

Anyone here own a Netbook? If so, what brand and model and are you happy with it?

I hear that Intel is bringing out a new atom chip for the Netbooks. I'm considering on buying a netbook but I think it might pay off to wait it out and purchase towards the end of the year when we will have more competition around xmas time.

What do you all think?

Saragossa
21-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

Anyone here own a Netbook? If so, what brand and model and are you happy with it?

I hear that Intel is bringing out a new atom chip for the Netbooks. I'm considering on buying a netbook but I think it might pay off to wait it out and purchase towards the end of the year when we will have more competition around xmas time.

What do you all think?

I was tossing up whether to get a mac 13" or a netbook. I'll be looking into both options at the end of the year. Should be interesting to look at the comparison.

Or hopefully a Mac netbook!

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/54503

Miranda
21-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Saragossa: if you get a Mac I will add you to my ignore list and never speak to you again. ;) but then again, that might be exactly why you end up purchasing one.. :hmm:

Garvinator
21-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Saragossa: if you get a Mac I will add you to my ignore list and never speak to you again. ;) but then again, that might be exactly why you end up purchasing one.. :hmm:
By this standard, Gunner should already be on your ignore list :P

Adamski
21-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I own a Netbook. A nice slick little number with its own Unix operating system. Runs Open Office e.g. Its the famous Asus Eee PC 4G. It cost less than $300 from a good web site, Catch of the Day. Very portable.

ER
22-08-2009, 03:57 AM

Oh c'mon boss don't be so harsh on him, he is a great kid, look at his pic! :)

post #16

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=10549&page=2

By the way this is a great picture of Lawrence (here in a skeleton outfit) and Marcus (the blonde characters in the back row) !!! Usually it is Lawrence that smiles all the time and Marcus is the serious one, but not here!

Miranda
22-08-2009, 10:53 AM
By this standard, Gunner should already be on your ignore list :P
I've given up on gunner, he's alreay too brainwashed ;). Saragossa still has some hope left though!

William AS
22-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Everyone,

What do you all think?
I have an early Asus Eee PC 900 with the small solid state hard drive. It was up and running very quickly after taking it out of the box and I think it is very good for what I use it for.

It came with Windows XP 1Gb ram, Sun Office (Open Office equivalent) and Microsoft Works already installed and is mainly used for chess, so I added Fritz 9 (rescued from my obsolete software bin) Chessbase and Swiss Perfect.

Only $500 and about a third the size and weight of a normal laptop so will fit in my briefcase with every thing else.

Not suitable for those with poor closeup vision, playing the latest games, photograph or video editing, CAD programs or touch typing the novel you are writing.

Great for those who want to do basic word processing on the run and have a limited budget.

Not having a DVD drive means you may have to use a little lateral thinking to install extra programs, or use an external DVD drive.

The latest versions of Fritz may not be suitable (others may be able to comment on this?)

littlesprout85
22-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Excellent topic here Muzzy,

Those Asus brand of netboks are awsome. Sprouty concure with Adamski's on ems choice of netbooks.

Asus borrors the best tech. stuff from other companys and puts it all together in sleek very affordable laptops & netbooks. =D Cant go wrong with an Asus.

-Sprout85 =)

Garvinator
22-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I think for chess clubs wanting to get a laptop for running chess tournaments and clubs only, then the netbook is the way to go. They are small, easily portable and can do everything required for a chess tournament.

Also, they would not take up too much cash out of any grants received, which leaves plenty of cash for other items.

Muzzy
24-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I have an early Asus Eee PC 900 with the small solid state hard drive. It was up and running very quickly after taking it out of the box and I think it is very good for what I use it for.

It came with Windows XP 1Gb ram, Sun Office (Open Office equivalent) and Microsoft Works already installed and is mainly used for chess, so I added Fritz 9 (rescued from my obsolete software bin) Chessbase and Swiss Perfect.

Only $500 and about a third the size and weight of a normal laptop so will fit in my briefcase with every thing else.

Not suitable for those with poor closeup vision, playing the latest games, photograph or video editing, CAD programs or touch typing the novel you are writing.

Great for those who want to do basic word processing on the run and have a limited budget.

Not having a DVD drive means you may have to use a little lateral thinking to install extra programs, or use an external DVD drive.

The latest versions of Fritz may not be suitable (others may be able to comment on this?)

Thanks for sharing your experience mate.

I know what you mean in regards to not expecting heavy duty usage from a Netbook. My main goal with it is to be able to do chess on the go. I travel to work on a long train trip each day (over an hour to and from), so I would like to install Fritz/Chessbase and do my database and analysis. I would also use it to train with the Fritztrainer DVD's but that would probably require a DVD drive.

They currently have the MSI Wind U1000 at Fluidtek (fluidtek.com.au) for $470 which is quite a good deal IMO.

I'm trying hard to be patient with my purchase since there will be more competition towards the end of the year. :hmm:

Muzzy
24-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I own a Netbook. A nice slick little number with its own Unix operating system. Runs Open Office e.g. Its the famous Asus Eee PC 4G. It cost less than $300 from a good web site, Catch of the Day. Very portable.

I've never used Unix OS. How is it?
Would I be able to install chess software on it? Fritz/Chessbase?

Adamski
24-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I've never used Unix OS. How is it?
Would I be able to install chess software on it? Fritz/Chessbase?Hi Muzzy. It's easy and most if not all is hidden from the user. Very Windows like user interface. And yes, no problems installing standard chess software - as long as you have an external DVD/ CD drive like I do!! Asus models (At least AFAIK) do not come with a DVD drive. Mine certainly did not. And I have used Chess Chat on it too no probs.

Muzzy
24-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi Muzzy. It's easy and most if not all is hidden from the user. Very Windows like user interface. And yes, no problems installing standard chess software - as long as you have an external DVD/ CD drive like I do!! Asus models (At least AFAIK) do not come with a DVD drive. Mine certainly did not. And I have used Chess Chat on it too no probs.

Great. I'm assuming that the main advantage of using Unix would be that it's not as resource hungry which would give you better performance on a Netbook. The other thing might be that you're less susceptible to viruses and spyware..

Desmond
24-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

What do you all think?
"Netbooks" with Atoms came out about a year ago. Most manufacturers already have them on the market, and if they don't by now then they most likely don't plan to anytime soon. I doubt we would see much reduction in price from now until the end of the year other than normal price reductions as technology gets replaced (lifecycle).

I thought we had another thread about "netbooks" but I can't find it now. Perhaps we discussed it on sprouty's laptop thread.

Muzzy
24-08-2009, 02:46 PM
"Netbooks" with Atoms came out about a year ago. Most manufacturers already have them on the market, and if they don't by now then they most likely don't plan to anytime soon. I doubt we would see much reduction in price from now until the end of the year other than normal price reductions as technology gets replaced (lifecycle).

I thought we had another thread about "netbooks" but I can't find it now. Perhaps we discussed it on sprouty's laptop thread.

Yes they did come out about a year ago. However, the 'new' atom chip I'm referring to is rumoured to be released Oct-Nov in the US. We might not get them here in Oz until end of year or after NY.

Intel's next gen processor is codenamed 'Pine Trail'. Pine Trail will integrate a graphics processor directly onto the same piece of silicon as the main processor--a first for Intel. Allegedly the end result is better performance. The official name is the 'Atom N450'.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Pine-Trail-View-Launch,8046.html

Once the new processor is launched we will definately see a slump in the price for the current Netbooks which were first to hit the market..

Adamski
24-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Great. I'm assuming that the main advantage of using Unix would be that it's not as resource hungry which would give you better performance on a Netbook. The other thing might be that you're less susceptible to viruses and spyware..Yes to both points!