PDA

View Full Version : Splitting up the tournament news and results forum

Davidflude
16-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I wish to suggest splitting the Tournament News and Results forum. At present there are so many tournaments being posted that a tournament appears on top of the list for only a few minutes.

I would suggest splitting this forum into separate sections for each state.

Garvinator
16-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I would suggest splitting this forum into separate sections for each state.
How about splitting up each state into different sections? ;)

sleepless
16-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I wish to suggest splitting the Tournament News and Results forum. At present there are so many tournaments being posted that a tournament appears on top of the list for only a few minutes.

Yes, it's an active forum, mostly free of provincial thinking.

Kevin Bonham
21-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Poll added to thread to see what members think.

Poll result will be treated as indicative and not necessarily binding.

ER
21-08-2009, 01:01 AM
I voted! :P leave as is please, it's more fun this way, if it gets too complicated Kev or Bill will split anyway!

Desmond
21-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I voted to leave as is. Too many sub-forums makes things cluttered and can actually make things harder to find.

Kevin Bonham
21-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I voted to leave as is. Too many sub-forums makes things cluttered and can actually make things harder to find.

I am also quite concerned about this (to the point of not being in favour of the change at the moment), while at the same time taking the point that the number of tournaments listed is such that tournaments do quickly fall down the list and even within a week onto the second page.

Not sure what the best solution is.

Basil
21-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I voted for leave it as it is. Der! ;)

H Dawg in da haus.

Capablanca-Fan
21-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Status quo for me too.

Ian CCC
23-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I think it would be better to split the forum in two. One forum for promotion of coming events (New Tournaments) and one for events under way or completed (Tournament Results).

The first would serve players looking for the next event to play in. Perhaps the date for the event should be included in the title. Once an event starts, its thread would no longer be added to and would gradually fall towards the bottom of the forum. A new thread would need to be started in the other forum for results.

The second forum would keep the community informed of current results. As events finish, their threads would fall towards the bottom of the forum.

I think this would be a partial solution to the current "clutter".

Ian.

Watto
24-08-2009, 04:47 AM
I think it would be better to split the forum in two. One forum for promotion of coming events (New Tournaments) and one for events under way or completed (Tournament Results).

The first would serve players looking for the next event to play in. Perhaps the date for the event should be included in the title. Once an event starts, its thread would no longer be added to and would gradually fall towards the bottom of the forum. A new thread would need to be started in the other forum for results.
Not sure it's such a good idea to split a single event into two threads. I also think that the history of an event, including all the questions and answers and discussion leading up to it and about it, is useful/interesting information even once an event is under way.

I actually voted to keep the forum as is but one possibility could be to have a separate forum for different playing formats (eg weekenders as opposed to weekly events.)

Kevin Bonham
24-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Not sure it's such a good idea to split a single event into two threads.

Same here, though I think the before/after idea is interesting; this could be done without splitting into two threads but the mods would have to move each thread after its tournament finished.

I actually voted to keep the forum as is but one possibility could be to have a separate forum for different playing formats (eg weekenders as opposed to weekly events.)

That also sounds like a better idea than having one for each state.

Ian CCC
30-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Not sure it's such a good idea to split a single event into two threads.

I agree that it is preferable to keep lead up and event results together, however my concern is that there is a problem with promotion of events.

If a new event thread is commenced to promote an event, then the thread can be quickly swamped by incoming results/commentary from active events. Very quickly the new event is relegated to page 2 - which, if my browsing is anything to go by, very few look at. So, in order to keep it towards the top of page 1, promoters are encouraged to make unnecessary posts, thus adding to the clutter.

Hence my suggestion that the forum is broken into promotion and result threads.

As an altenative, I think that an Tournament Calendar page would be useful. It would have brief details of the event and a link to its Tournament thread. This would allow people to easily see what events are coming up and access the thread quickly. There would then be less need for unnecessary posts to keep the thread close to the top of the forum.

ER
30-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Ian I can see your point, although I believe that co - existance of constant with variable interaction / commentary is not of detremental effect to the event(s)/
What really missing is frequent reference to the link of the original page of the event(s). This we all agreed upon quite some time ago but we never kept!

Watto
31-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I agree that it is preferable to keep lead up and event results together, however my concern is that there is a problem with promotion of events.

If a new event thread is commenced to promote an event, then the thread can be quickly swamped by incoming results/commentary from active events. Very quickly the new event is relegated to page 2 - which, if my browsing is anything to go by, very few look at. So, in order to keep it towards the top of page 1, promoters are encouraged to make unnecessary posts, thus adding to the clutter.

Hence my suggestion that the forum is broken into promotion and result threads.

As an altenative, I think that an Tournament Calendar page would be useful. It would have brief details of the event and a link to its Tournament thread. This would allow people to easily see what events are coming up and access the thread quickly. There would then be less need for unnecessary posts to keep the thread close to the top of the forum.
If the mods were happy to take on the extra work of moving event threads over once they have begun, it's a good idea to have a promotion forum and a results forum (I’d probably prefer this to a separate Calendar page (and it might be less work for the mods?) )

Once a tournament is finished it would just drop down the results forum and so wouldn’t clog that one up anymore either.

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2009, 06:50 PM
OK, what we have done is set up one thread for promotion of upcoming tournaments and discussion (inc results) of tournaments in progress, and another for tournaments that have finished. As events finish they will be moved from one to the other.

To discourage duplicate threads Bill has set it up so that only mods and admins can start new threads in the Completed Tournaments section, but all posters should be able to post. If someone can test that this is the case (delete your post after you make it, or we can) then report back here that would be great.

Ian CCC
31-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I was able to post and delete the post in the Completed Tournaments forum.

I was prevented from starting a new thread in that forum.

So, it seems to be working as required.

Hopefully, it will reduce some of the "clutter". It will be interesting to see what feedback the change gets.

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Excellent. We thought it was worth a try and if it doesn't work we can easily put it back to how it was.