PDA

View Full Version : Touch screen phones

Alana
03-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I've just been searching the net for a new phone as I'm trying to convince mum to get me one for my 18th (not long now!).

Which are the best touch screen phones out there? I'm looking for one that isn't too expensive, and is prepaid.

Jim_Flood
03-08-2009, 10:02 PM
...I'm trying to convince mum to get me one for my 18th (not long now!).

If your current phone is still in working order, Alana, why should your Mum buy you a new phone? Are you working? If so, buy one for yourself or wait until you are working. You Mum has probably gone without a lot of things over 18 years to invest in you. Give her a break. Wry :)

shan_siddiqi
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
The iPhone is mostly just a marketing gimmick. The HTC Dream has all of the same features with a better/cheaper operating system. The HTC Touch HD is also better in most ways.

Basil
03-08-2009, 10:40 PM
The iPhone is mostly just a marketing gimmick. The HTC Touch HD is also better in most ways.
Wow! Did Apple rip it off?

Basil
03-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Wow! Did Apple rip it off?
Oh. I googled and the first I found was this (http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39030107,49299703,00.htm). It says ...

17 Apr 2009 in Reviews

Best touchscreen phones

Ever since Apple wowed us with its nifty iPhone, everyone is gagging for a screen they can touch. Here are four of our favourite sensitive handsets...

Looks like the copycat is calling the originator a marketing gimmick! Cute! And a path very very very well-worn. Nothing new under the sun, be it Apple's innovation or others knocking it or indeed others still copying it.

Carry on!

aransandraseg
03-08-2009, 10:58 PM
plans are a rip off.
Make sure other people like it.
Don't buy an I phone (biggest rip - offs)
if you do disable internet 3g or you'll get a $400 bill ( I guy I know told me.)

Alternatively, if you have a phone buy something more useful.
I'm 14 and I don't get why all u18's need to have phones.
They are retarded.

shan_siddiqi
03-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Looks like the copycat is calling the originator a marketing gimmick! Cute! And a path very very very well-worn. Nothing new under the sun, be it Apple's innovation or others knocking it or indeed others still copying it.

Carry on!

The iPhone isn't the originator of anything. There was no innovation. All they did was to make a pretty-looking operating system that was easy to market.

It doesn't matter what came first and what came later. There were plenty of touchscreen phones before the iPhone. What matters is what's better for the money.

Basil
03-08-2009, 11:07 PM
The iPhone isn't the originator of anything. There was no innovation. All they did was to make a pretty-looking operating system that was easy to market.

It doesn't matter what came first and what came later. There were plenty of touchscreen phones before the iPhone. What matters is what's better for the money.
Right. Thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:

Just one thing before I go. Did Apple originate the turny-aroundy screen thing? And ummm did Apple innovate the apps to go with the phone? And if not, which firm did. And ... never mind.

And never mind that Apple has filed more than 200 patents on the phone :wall:

I've wiki'd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone)(again!) and there seems to be a claim by one firm that Apple stole its idea from them! - which by itself proves nothing - and also means Apple moved incredibly quickly (nine months from pinching to launch). There's another suggestion that Apple pinched the name from a patent that had elapsed 10 years previously (being IPHONE)*.

For mine, Apple's reknown innovation for software and box design is behind both the OS and the feel of the phone - and nasty black boxes and faceless companies have been copying it ever since.

*Given Apple's launch of iPod and iTunes and iMac, I doubt any but the seriously and serially anti-Mac-ites would give this one any oxygen at all.

Miranda
03-08-2009, 11:11 PM
plans are a rip off.
Make sure other people like it.
Don't buy an I phone (biggest rip - offs)
if you do disable internet 3g or you'll get a $400 bill ( I guy I know told me.)

From what I've figured out about the iPhone, my friends who are terrible with techonology tell me that "it's the worst phone, don't get it", yet my friends who are good with it tell me that "it's a great phone". 3g internet is useful if you use it responsibly, not only with the iPhone. Another bonus to the iPhone is that it can use Wifi instead of 3g, so if you're at home it doesn't cost you anything.

Alternatively, if you have a phone buy something more useful.
I'm 14 and I don't get why all u18's need to have phones.
They are retarded.
:lol: I got my first phone when I was 10, and going to boarding school. Although now I'm not at boarding school, I just turned 15 and have one - it's an essential part of my day. If I'm at school, it allows me to communicate with my parents (or as it so happened today, to locate my sister so I could give her lunch money), and when I go out on the weekends with my friends it allows me to contact them, as well as call my parents so they don't worry about me too much!

Basil
04-08-2009, 12:04 AM
I can't vote because I haven't used (or been usefully exposed to) the others. I assume the voters have. I do know that SWAMBO has an iPhone and loves it (as does Master 3). I also know that a staff members (Ms 23) has an imitation (I don't know which one) and loathes it.

Miranda
04-08-2009, 07:59 AM
I recieved an LG Xenon for my birthday and so far, it's an excellent phone. It has a touchscreen as well as a QWERTY keyboard, long battery life, and compacts up quite small, so in any case I feel obliged to vote for it :lol:

If you're looking for a decent phone that's easy to use, I'd buy that. The iPhone is slightly harder to text with (the keyboard is touchscreen, although it takes a while to get used to it) and if you want to get the most out of it, you usually seem to require a bit of technical knowledge. Be prepared to end up buying apps - there are a host of free ones, but once you spot a game that looks fun or something entertaining for $1.19, you'll have a bunch of them before long!

Space_Dude
04-08-2009, 08:12 AM
My brother just an iphone hust because I bought HTC touch (not diamond or HD) its got windows 6 but only 200 mb of space and ram... wi-fi but no gps. My brothers Iphone has 18gb and wifi with gps and is way more expensive...
Mine was only 300 dollars but my brothers iphone 3g s was 920 dollars... I really dont think iphone is worth all that money...

Desmond
04-08-2009, 09:20 AM
The iPhone is the only one in the list I've heard of. Whether that says more about the product being the best or being the best-marketed (or possibly both) I don't know.

Bill Gletsos
04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
My brother just an iphone hust because I bought HTC touch (not diamond or HD) its got windows 6 but only 200 mb of space and ram... wi-fi but no gps. My brothers Iphone has 18gb and wifi with gps and is way more expensive...
Mine was only 300 dollars but my brothers iphone 3g s was 920 dollars... I really dont think iphone is worth all that money...That is to buy it outright and is not that different from competing phones.

The Nokia N97 sells for $1129 just like the N95 before sold for over $1000 when bought outright.

The HTC Touch pro2 sells for between $959-$1100.

AzureBlue
04-08-2009, 04:48 PM
The iPhone is the only one in the list I've heard of. Whether that says more about the product being the best or being the best-marketed (or possibly both) I don't know.
Yeah same, it looks pretty cool though :)

Axiom
04-08-2009, 08:16 PM
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article6736587.ece

littlesprout85
04-08-2009, 09:11 PM
This topic Alana seems to definatly fit in the 1337 lounge.

Sprout thinks that maybe in the future that the g networks and the phone price per unit will go down to a reasonable rate. WoW, Sprouty neva would pay a grand for a Iphone -dats nuts m8's.

Why would you want all dat on your cellphone. That is like having your laptop connected to your forehead(body) 24/7. Dont get Axioms started on this subject.

Now the biggest problem with your picking out a new Iphone is that your requesting that it be pre-paid/no contract Alana. Mostly unheard of with a 3g network. Good luck with da hunt over there in the land down underz. :doh:

-Sprout85 =)

shan_siddiqi
04-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Did Apple originate the turny-aroundy screen thing?
No, it's been on cameras for a few years now; Apple just applied it to the phone. Granted, it was a good idea... but again, it wasn't revolutionary.

And ummm did Apple innovate the apps to go with the phone? And if not, which firm did. And ... never mind.
No, most of the apps are created by various third-party companies, just like the apps that have always been around since PDA phones were first released years ago. Apple just did a better job of collecting them all into a single "app store" - again, an excellent piece of marketing.

And never mind that Apple has filed more than 200 patents on the phone :wall:
Again, that speaks more to their marketing prowess... they decided to patent everything that was even mildly novel. The Android OS, on the other hand, is all about open-source... their operating system is free, and any developer can modify it and upgrade it - with no patents to restrict other people from using the same feature. Most of Apple's iPhone patents are on several random little lines of code in their software, not on their actual hardware itself.

For mine, Apple's reknown innovation for software and box design is behind both the OS and the feel of the phone - and nasty black boxes and faceless companies have been copying it ever since.
Yeah, I'm annoyed by the nasty black-box companies that try to mimic its look too. But we're not talking about those companies, we're talking about big reputable companies like HTC.

*Given Apple's launch of iPod and iTunes and iMac, I doubt any but the seriously and serially anti-Mac-ites would give this one any oxygen at all.

I'm not an anti-Mac-ite; I used to love my MacBook Pro (I got it from work), but I didn't replace it with another Mac because an equivalent PC was much cheaper.

The iPod was preceded by many other MP3 players with hard drives, but the iPod just looked prettier.
iTunes was preceded by other MP3 downloading programs, but iTunes just looked prettier.
iMac wasn't really any different from any other computer, except that it used the Macintosh operating system and it looked prettier.

Apple does a great job of designing their products for aesthetics and then selling them effectively. Almost all of their products are more stable because they're less customizable (ask any programmer if they use Apple, and they'll laugh) - basically, they make it hard for you to break it.

Basil
05-08-2009, 02:51 AM
Thanks for that. It seems a well-informed piece of prose and if most of the commentary is accurate (and I have every reason to believe it is) I am the wiser. I do feel that you are holding back just a tad on the praise for mac in that the software is also quite stable and robust (compare to its commercial competitors) which is asked to do a heck of a lot. I note that some of these phones are running windows.

I was aware that the apps are largely 3rd party, as we have purchased a few and we elect to receive the inevitable tracking/ offers etc. I was asking whether mac innovated the driving of 3rd party apps.

I haven't sought to argue to argue that Apple invented the telephone, computer, touch-screen, camera, internet, digital games etc.. As you would know with patent, copyright law and similar, there comes a point when something is legally imitated and when its not. I make the point and I will make it again that Apple does a great job at giving consumers what they want, never minding competition and being royally mimicked! And then, THEN! having to endure various ill-conceived cat-calls.

When Apple launches something, the consumer says it looks like a computer or a phone or an mp3 player.
When the vast majority of computing products are launched these days, many are forgiven for saying they look like ... Apples.

Basil
05-08-2009, 03:12 AM
I'm not an anti-Mac-ite; I used to love my MacBook Pro (I got it from work), but I didn't replace it with another Mac because an equivalent PC was much cheaper.
This has been discussed well here on this board. While I have not had cause to touch a PC in 20 years (and everything I see and hear reinforces the sagacity of the decision), I understand that if one
- accurately and fairly matches specs,
- tosses in TCO, (whizz, bang, burp, pop - did someone say Vista?, where's that tech, and how much is downtime worth?, resale, lifespan)
- doesn't place a high value on PC gaming
- places some value on aesthetics

then a PC is far from obvious in the better value stakes.

Igor_Goldenberg
05-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't know how long iPhone has been available on the market.
In the beginning of 2004 I got a PocketPC which is combined with mobile phone (not a smartphone or blackberry). Looks like it had all the functionality that iPhone has (even though it does not look trendy like iPhone does).

shan_siddiqi
05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I was aware that the apps are largely 3rd party, as we have purchased a few and we elect to receive the inevitable tracking/ offers etc. I was asking whether mac innovated the driving of 3rd party apps.
No, 3rd-party apps were available for Palm and Windows PDAs/phones for years before the iPhone.

I make the point and I will make it again that Apple does a great job at giving consumers what they want, never minding competition and being royally mimicked! And then, THEN! having to endure various ill-conceived cat-calls. That's true. They do usually give people what they want, which is enough to make a person buy one. It just doesn't usually give me what I want - the ability to customize the software, to run as many third-part apps as possible (especially my chess training apps), and to be inexpensive.

When Apple launches something, the consumer says it looks like a computer or a phone or an mp3 player.
When the vast majority of computing products are launched these days, many are forgiven for saying they look like ... Apples.
Yeah, I guess it's stupid to say that aesthetics are completely irrelevant when you buy a product. Again, it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

In the beginning of 2004 I got a PocketPC which is combined with mobile phone (not a smartphone or blackberry). Looks like it had all the functionality that iPhone has (even though it does not look trendy like iPhone does)."
That's why I've never bought an iPhone... it doesn't seem to have any features that I didn't have on my Windows Mobile phones (I've had two of them since 2005), so I didn't see the need to spend the extra money. Still, some people like the aesthetics. Also, the iPhone does have a better touchscreen.

Basil
05-08-2009, 08:13 PM
That's true. They do usually give people what they want, which is enough to make a person buy one. It just doesn't usually give me what I want - the ability to customize the software, to run as many third-part apps as possible (especially my chess training apps), and to be inexpensive.
Amen. And all I want from a phone is the ability to make phone calls. I reckon SWAMBO et al are as batty as ... but each to their own.

Also, the iPhone does have a better touchscreen.
:cool:

Alana
24-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Ok! Thanks all!

Now I have a reason to get a new phone - the cover of my phone has fallen off and I can't find it! So the battery keeps falling out :(

shan_siddiqi
24-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Ok! Thanks all!

Now I have a reason to get a new phone - the cover of my phone has fallen off and I can't find it! So the battery keeps falling out :(

Some people would just buy a new cover...

Saragossa
24-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Duct tape???

Hobbes
24-08-2009, 11:18 PM

Hey, I bet you get invited to all the parties! :owned:

Basil
24-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Duct tape???
Hey, I bet you get invited to all the parties! :uhoh: :D

Alana
25-08-2009, 08:47 AM

A new cover?

The phone's old so they probably don't sell the covers anymore. Anyway the phone was only worth $90 so the cover would possibly be more expensive!

Duct tape is currently holding my phone together, but it looks horrible.

Desmond
25-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Those people who sell the covers might. But probably not if they also sell new phones.

shan_siddiqi
25-08-2009, 01:33 PM
You can buy covers for anything on eBay.

Regardless, I just said that "some people" would buy a new cover. I'm not one of those people. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new toy.

Speaking of which, I've had my previous phone for a year now, which means that I feel like getting something new. Anybody interested in an HTC Trinity (P3600) PDA phone for $200 (with Windows Mobile 6.1, GPS, WiFi, 3G, Bluetooth, and pretty much every other feature that phones have these days)? I thought I was getting a bargain when I picked it up slightly used for $300 USD (which was $450 AUD at the time), but I guess I should have gotten an older model if I didn't want it to depreciate.

Saragossa
26-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Duct tape is currently holding my phone together, but it looks horrible.

Makes you look hell ghetto and tough.

Hey, I bet you get invited to all the parties!

The painful truth ;)

On a slightly related note at a party I went to on the weekend six kids lost their phones and one camera was smashed to bits, careless careless.

Spiny Norman
26-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Where's the "none of the above" option. "Other" doesn't cut it for me. All touch screen phones are a wank and a complete waste of time and money IMO.

Alana
27-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Makes you look hell ghetto and tough.

Maybe. Well I still want an iPhone, and my dad's birthday pressie gave me most of the money for it!

Currently tempted to buy a 16gb 3g iPhone which is $600 at the moment. Expires tomorrow though, so I'll have to ask mum to use her account to get it!

I'm 18 in 28 days, doo-dah, doo-dah. I'm 18 in 28 days, doo-dah doo-dah day. :eek: :owned: ;) :rolleyes: :whistle:

On a slightly related note at a party I went to on the weekend six kids lost their phones and one camera was smashed to bits, careless careless.

That's just skill... I'm always losing stuff (purse, bus pass, money, clothes), but never managed to lose a phone =)

littlesprout85
27-08-2009, 05:58 PM
OMG !!!!!!

Alana is going to be 18 in How Many Days :? (Sprout runs in circles and trips . . . . Falls off stage left):eek:

Meh just have to get Alana something nice- yup-yup

Sprouty is wishing Alana All da best in da world on her B-Day & hopes she gets ems new I-Phone with unlimited service :eh:

-Sprout85 =)

Igor_Goldenberg
09-09-2009, 10:12 PM
My brother just an iphone hust because I bought HTC touch (not diamond or HD) its got windows 6 but only 200 mb of space and ram...
Memory capacity problem is usually rectified by SD card (getting cheaper every day!). Even though bigger RAM makes PDA faster.

Igor_Goldenberg
09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
The iPhone is mostly just a marketing gimmick. The HTC Dream has all of the same features with a better/cheaper operating system. The HTC Touch HD is also better in most ways.

Recently I decided to get a new PDA/phone after some research decided on HTC Touch HD. Having bought it I recalled this thread and came across your recommendation. Speaking of coincidence...

shan_siddiqi
11-09-2009, 02:51 PM
problem is usually rectified by SD card
Yes! That's another thing about Apple's brilliant marketing... they make you think that the iPhone is the only way to get a 16GB hard drive on a phone. I have a 16GB microSD card in my Windows Mobile phone.

decided on HTC Touch HD
Yes! I'm jealous. I want one of those; it's a great phone.

littlesprout85
12-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Oh No000oOoo tell sprouty it aint so :S

16 gb is bigger than sprout Din0 of a desktop pc which is only 3 gb's - :(

How much ram does dat new phone of yours have Igor G. - meh Din0 has 32 mbs of ram :eek: one of the mbs is borrowed from da video card -lol

One last thang- Wat da heck is Windows 6 (sprout is totally lost)

-Sprout85 =)

Igor_Goldenberg
15-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Yes! That's another thing about Apple's brilliant marketing... they make you think that the iPhone is the only way to get a 16GB hard drive on a phone. I have a 16GB microSD card in my Windows Mobile phone.

That 16Gb on iPhone - is it RAM or HD?
If it's HD, is it still faster then SD?

BTW, I only have 8Gb microSD card (had 2Gb on the old phone).

Another question:
I could not work out the time when TouchFlo was introduced (found some references for 2007). Was before or after iPhone?

Igor_Goldenberg
15-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh No000oOoo tell sprouty it aint so :S

16 gb is bigger than sprout Din0 of a desktop pc which is only 3 gb's - :(

How much ram does dat new phone of yours have Igor G. - meh Din0 has 32 mbs of ram :eek: one of the mbs is borrowed from da video card -lol

One last thang- Wat da heck is Windows 6 (sprout is totally lost)

-Sprout85 =)
512Mb Rom
288Mb Ram
8Gb - micro SD card

Windows Mobile is an OS used by PocketPC. Currently 6.1 is the latest with 6.5 coming out soon. HTC Touch HD has an upgrade option (to 6.5), but I'll wait until 6.5 is tested out (and maybe a patch or two released). I never rush with installing latest version of Windows :D

On the subject of being lost - layout of your post makes it easy.

Alana
16-09-2009, 10:29 AM
YAY! I finally fullfilled my dreams and bought the iPhone I wanted off eBay.

3g, 16gb for $500 :)

shan_siddiqi
18-09-2009, 12:03 AM
I think the iPhone has a hard drive, but I never really notice the difference in speed... especially if you buy a high-speed SD card.

Bill Gletsos
18-09-2009, 12:19 AM
I think the iPhone has a hard driveNo it is using flash memory. i.e the 8GB, 16GB or 32GB.
The memory in the 3GS is 256MB.

Igor_Goldenberg
18-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Started using my HTC couple of days ago.
So far I was happy with two exceptions:
1. Many applications (especially old) are not ready for high definition screen.
2. Strange problem with emails - can see them in the preview, but when I open them can only see empty screen - the body is missing completely. Called HTC, they said their procedure is: delete email settings and recreate them. if it does not help - hard reset the device. What the heck!!! In other words their support leaves a lot to desire.

Desmond
26-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Nokia lawsuit seeks a piece of the iPhone pie
(http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/323553/nokia_lawsuit_seeks_piece_iphone_pie?fp=16&fpid=1)

Nokia is taking Apple to court, alleging that the iPhone infringes on 10 different technology patents owned by Nokia. Nokia is entitled to protect its investments in research and development and its intellectual property, but there is reason to be skeptical of Nokia's timing and motives...

Garrett
27-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey, I bet you get invited to all the parties! :uhoh: :D

ha ha

This is the first time I've visited this thread because

(A) I have had the same $90 Optus prepaid for 3 years, and
(B) I've been drinking.

but that was darn funny !

cheers
Garrett.

littlesprout85
17-08-2011, 09:44 PM
wohooo,

Sprouty just heard that Google Just bought A Division of Motorola for something like 12 billion. Meh is wondering if Google is coming out with its own versions of da IPhones now :S

-Sprout85 =)

Adamski
17-08-2011, 11:30 PM
wohooo,

Sprouty just heard that Google Just bought A Division of Motorola for something like 12 billion. Meh is wondering if Google is coming out with its own versions of da IPhones now :S

-Sprout85 =)
It already has. Android! My phone is an Android (Galaxy S from Samsung) and I am happy with it. Has wi-fi, GPS etc, and rather than $350 plus, the phone itself cost me $0 as the upgrade was part of the package with renewing my contract with Optus for 2 years.