PDA

View Full Version : Best Chess Quotes

Alan Shore
16-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Funny we don't have a thread for these:

'And the most important superiority, the most total one, is the superiority of the mind. I mean, your opponent must be destroyed. Fully destroyed.'
- Garry Kasparov

"Chess is so inspiring that I do not believe a good player is capable of having an evil thought during the game." - Wilhelm Steinitz

"On the chessboard, if nowhere else, justice does triumph." - Irving Chernev

"The profuse phallic symbolism of chess provides some fantasy gratification of the homosexual wish, particularly the desire for mutual masturbation." - Reuben Fine, The Psychology of the Chess Player, 1956

"Checkers is for tramps." - Paul Morphy

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing" - Signature of an anonymous message board user.

And my favourite:

"The passion for playing chess is one of the most unaccountable in the world. It slaps the theory of natural selection in the face. It is the most absorbing of occupations. The least satisfying of desires. A nameless excrescence upon life. It annihilates a man. You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess." H.G. Wells, Certain Personal Matters, 1898

Rincewind
16-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Chess is a game. Chess is a battle. Chess is war. It is art, science, logic, and beauty. Chess is the ultimate contest between two minds. Chess is the mental torture of one's opponent, and the mental torture of oneself. Chess is drama. It is tragedy. It is tears and frustration. Chess is despair. Chess is laughter, joy, and triumph. Chess is a friendship formed through a contest. Chess is 16 pieces, 32 men, 64 squares. It is openings and endgames, tactics and strategy. Chess is combinations. Chess is planning. Chess is the sharpening of the mind, the exercise of the brain. Chess is thinking. Chess is pure thought. Chess is tension, toil, and strife. Chess is losing. Chess is winning. Chess is beating and being beaten. Chess is where all excuses fail. Chess is a hobby, a mania, a fixation. Chess is an addiction. Chess is a waste of time. Chess is a distraction. Chess is passion. Chess is truth. Chess is life. – Daniel White

1min_grandmaster
16-08-2005, 06:26 PM
One of the funniest scenes I have ever in a chess tournament was in the Fairfield Winter Cup of 2005. The DOP, Charles Zworestine, was announcing the mobile phone rule before one of the rounds when he asked the audience if they had any questions. Johny Bolens put up his hand and then proceeded to complain, amazingly, about how he was unhappy that the arbiter had constantly announced the mobile-phone rule (in previous tournaments). Anyone who has met Bolens will have an idea what a character he is, and what a funny scene this would have been. The entire playing hall was listening to what he had to say and found it very amusing. His comments went on for quite some time, so it is hard to quote exactly what he said, but I definitely remember the following passage correctly:

"Everytime you mention this mobile phone rule! I don't care if people talk on their mobile phone! Mobile phone people can talk as much as they like!" - Johny Bolens

antichrist
16-08-2005, 08:00 PM
H.G. Wells: Chess is a brilliant waste of time
Steinitz: Not even God can give me a queen start
A/C: You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just may find that you get what you need.

Rincewind
16-08-2005, 08:03 PM
A/C: You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just may find that you get what you need.

Hey, that was Mick Jagger! Although many accused him of being the A/C.

antichrist
16-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey, that was Mick Jagger! Although many accused him of being the A/C.

I do have an original but fortunately cannot remember it. But the above does have truth?

bergil
18-08-2005, 11:45 AM
"I have many vices, I drink, I smoke, I gamble and chase girls but postal chess is not one of them!" -Tal

antichrist
18-08-2005, 12:04 PM
And guess who has a copy of "Chess - Quotations from the Master" by Henry Hunvald 1972.

Here are some:
Chess is a sea in which a gnat may drink and an elephant may bathe.
Russian.

No fool can play chess, and only fools do. German.

You may knock you opponent down with the chessboard, but that does not prove that you are the better player. English

On demand I will include George Bernard Shaw's beauty

bobby1972
19-08-2005, 03:17 PM
how come no chess player took a baseball bat to that bastard fine when he was alive he he he

Rhubarb
19-08-2005, 03:25 PM
how come no chess player took a baseball bat to that bastard fine when he was alive he he heThe metaphor of the baseball bat symbolises a need for phallic power. The implied violence demonstrates a wish to kill the father, with pseudo-Oedipal tendencies.

Then again, sometimes a baseball bat is just a baseball bat.

antichrist
19-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Chess is a foolish expedient for making idle people believe they are doing something very clever, when they are only wasting their time. G.B.Shaw

The Knight's move is compounded of a straight square and an oblique one; the former betokens his legal power of collecting rents, etc., the latter his extortions and wrongdoings. The Gesta Romanorum

The refutation of a sacrifice frequently consists of its acceptance. Wilhelm Steinitz

Spiny Norman
19-08-2005, 06:48 PM
I like the moment when I break a man’s ego.
- Bobby Fischer

Chess is war over the board. The object is to crush the opponent's mind.
- Bobby Fischer

PHAT
19-08-2005, 07:49 PM
"Chess at its best it should be a distraction from feeding the ego but the ego usually eats the chess." - Sath

Kaitlin
20-08-2005, 12:40 AM
"Chess at its best it should be a distraction from feeding the ego but the ego usually eats the chess." - Sath

when in doubt...c3

antichrist
20-08-2005, 01:12 AM
nobody has ever won a game by resigning. Tartakover.

this clashes with KB's: one does not improve their position by resigning??

PHAT
20-08-2005, 01:33 AM
when in doubt...c3

I C 1. But then again my eyes converge perfectly, when sober.

Dozy
20-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Chess can be sweet or sour depending on which side of the table you are sitting at the time but you'll come out smiling if you remember the golden rule—do unto others before they do you!

(Quoted from "Sweet & Sour Chess" http://www.rootyhillchess.org/sweetsour.html)

antichrist
20-08-2005, 11:49 PM
The mistakes are all there, waiting to be made. Tartakover

I may be an old lion, but if someone put his finger in my mouth I will bite it off. Wilhem Steinitz

bunta
21-08-2005, 01:47 AM
One of the funniest scenes I have ever in a chess tournament was in the Fairfield Winter Cup of 2005. The DOP, Charles Zworestine, was announcing the mobile phone rule before one of the rounds when he asked the audience if they had any questions. Johny Bolens put up his hand and then proceeded to complain, amazingly, about how he was unhappy that the arbiter had constantly announced the mobile-phone rule (in previous tournaments). Anyone who has met Bolens will have an idea what a character he is, and what a funny scene this would have been. The entire playing hall was listening to what he had to say and found it very amusing. His comments went on for quite some time, so it is hard to quote exactly what he said, but I definitely remember the following passage correctly:

"Everytime you mention this mobile phone rule! I don't care if people talk on their mobile phone! Mobile phone people can talk as much as they like!" - Johny Bolens

LOL, i heard that one!

Kevin Bonham
21-08-2005, 07:27 PM
nobody has ever won a game by resigning. Tartakover.

this clashes with KB's: one does not improve their position by resigning??

Not sure where you got that from that I had said that. On the resigning thread I said the quote was "No one ever won a game by resigning". Probably the quote was not originally in English so there are slight variations in translation (no one/nobody).

I have had positions so bad they would certainly have been improved by resigning. Won from plenty of them too.

antichrist
21-08-2005, 09:55 PM
They're weak, all women. They're stupid compared to men. They shouldn't play chess, you know. They're like beginners. They lose every single game against a man. There isn't a woman player in the world I can't give knight-odds to and still beat.

Bobby Fischer

Frank Walker
21-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Antichrist, just stop being sexist

antichrist
21-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Antichrist, just stop being sexist
You ae not the ex-attorney-general are you?

i was just quoting Bobby.

Frank Walker
22-08-2005, 05:57 PM
You ae not the ex-attorney-general are you?

i was just quoting Bobby.

Yes, but you are still sexist
Here we are trying get more girls and women to play chess and you are running around the bullettin board claiming they are all stupid. Whilst I have to run around claiming you are stupid.

Frank

Frank Walker
22-08-2005, 06:02 PM
I C 1. But then again my eyes converge perfectly, when sober.

When in doubt gxf7#.

Sutek
22-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Spassky's comments about his married life -

"Me and my wife lived in the same house, but we were like opposite color bishops"

Frank Walker
22-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Spassky's comments about his married life -

"Me and my wife lived in the same house, but we were like opposite color bishops"

Thats good, otherwise they would be trying to attack eachother all day. Unless it is Harry Potter Chess where a bishop can get a sword and smash another piece on an opposite coloured square when they are miles away, (not suggesting this can happen in real life, or can it...).

Sutek
22-08-2005, 08:18 PM
"I never beat a well person in my life" - Frank Marshall

Frank Walker
22-08-2005, 08:23 PM
"I dont think the fact that I lost to the fools mate makes me a fool" Garry Kasparov, Age of 4
Addmitted that he said that himself in one of his books

Spiny Norman
22-08-2005, 08:24 PM
"When I am white I win because I am white. When I am black I win because I am Bogoljubov"
- Efim Bogoljubov

Sutek
22-08-2005, 08:25 PM
"Chess is as much a mystery as women" - Purdy

antichrist
22-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Nothing so easily ruins a positionas pawn moves. Tarrasch.

Sutek
22-08-2005, 08:32 PM
"The fact that a player is very short of time is, to my mind, as little to be considered an excuse as, for instance, the statement of the law-breaker that he was drunk at the time he committed the crime" - Alexander Alekhine

bobby1972
24-08-2005, 02:25 PM
take it easy kegless,nasty remarks there man.

Rhubarb
24-08-2005, 04:32 PM
take it easy kegless,nasty remarks there man.Sorry, bobby. It was meant to be a psychoanalytical satire, since a lot of it has been discredited, not directed towards you. I should have made that clearer.

Kevin Bonham
24-08-2005, 05:25 PM
"The fact that a player is very short of time is, to my mind, as little to be considered an excuse as, for instance, the statement of the law-breaker that he was drunk at the time he committed the crime" - Alexander Alekhine

I like that one.

bobby1972
25-08-2005, 08:43 AM
so i looked up the dictionary for nothing

Frank Walker
25-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Think twice before doing nothing.

antichrist
25-08-2005, 11:27 PM
AR, here is one esp for Pinoys!

You tell me a poor man has no right to have a large family. You say his doing so is not honest, is a positive injury to his country and to humanity. I tell you you are wrong and I'll prove it. My father was a poor man, a very poor man. My father was an honest man, a very honest man. Well, he had thirteen children, and I, Wilhelm Steinitz, the Chess Champion of the world, I am the thirteenth! Wilhelm Steinitz

bergil
10-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Tal - On becoming world blitz champion said, he was glad of the opportunity once more of becoming an ex-world champion...

Kevin Bonham
18-11-2006, 09:13 PM
During a training camp I was running today some players were commenting on a game that was meant to be under semi-serious conditions. I said the usual "ssh! no advice" kind of line and one of Hobart's stronger juniors who had heard the moves suggested said this:

It's not advice if it's bad.

Sheroff
28-05-2009, 10:25 AM
"Imperfection is not the tragedy of chess, but its attraction". - Page 9

"Black is mangled" - Page 22

"The French Fried" - Page 21 (The title of Game 3)

"According to the Icewacas (an acronym for 'Instant Chess Experts With A Computer Analysis System')..." - Page 95

"20.bxa3 Qa5! leads to a grisly demise." - Page 61

Just a few random quotes taken from "Australian Chess Briliancies"...

Beware the Icewacas...

KC

Desmond
28-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Icewacas - nice one

Richard Goldsmi
28-05-2009, 03:32 PM
The best quote which links in with this story I have heard was from a mate who was pulled over by a policeman in Far North Queensland for speeding on his motorbike.

The police turned off the siren, ambled up to him on his bike and said.

"Do you see that sign there?" Pointing at the blaently obvious speed control sign.

My mate, noted for quick of mind and tounge said "Yes"

"Do you know what it's for?" asked the cocky policeman pulling out his paperwork.

"Yeah...Well there is a circle around the number one hundred in the middle"

"Do you know what it means?" pulling his pen from his pocket pressed the policeman.

"Yeah...it means you can do around a hundred!" replied my smartass mate.

Stunned but equal to the task of wit, the policeman replied.

"Well if thats so, how about I write you a speeding ticket of say around....$150"

The morale of this is, becareful who you think you are smarter than! And always play by the rules.

Enjoy your day!

Nicholas D-C
01-08-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure if there's already a thread like this, but whenever you hear a good chess quote, post it here. I'll start off with a quote I saw at chessgames.com today: "Whoever sees no other aim in the game than that of giving checkmate to one's opponent will never become a good chessplayer." ---Max Euwe. Another good quote can be seen in my sig:cool:

aransandraseg
03-08-2009, 11:22 PM
"when in doubt...c3"
a3 you mean?
or h3?
a lot of people play c3 anyway.

Metro
26-12-2009, 12:20 AM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM2OTQwMzcxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTczODI4Mg@@._ V1._CR0,0,285,285_SS80_.jpg
I didn't decide I'm gonna be an actress cause I wanna be respected for how I play chess.

machomortensen
13-11-2011, 12:12 AM
"Chess is as much a mystery as women" - Purdy

Is it from one of his books??

machomortensen
13-11-2011, 04:21 AM
From "AUSTRALIAN CHESS - into the eighties" by Ian Rogers (1981).

Guy West: "He [Ian Rogers] is a walking encyclopaedia of obscure gambits, little-knowns themes, brilliant new moves - and their refutations. His excellent theoretical preparation also extends to middlegame positions and most endings." (Page 11)

Douglas Hamilton: "When one is short of time with a bad position, one move threats are attractive!" (Page 24)

Robert Jamieson: "Chess is an eternal struggle against one's own stupidity!" (Page 81)

aroniyang
13-11-2011, 06:37 PM
One that I came up with-

"If soccer is the world game, then chess is the world sport".

:D

ER
13-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Life is too short to lose a chess game on time! E.R.

Max Illingworth
13-11-2011, 08:17 PM
'The spectators see the chess game better than the players; the outsider sees things more clearly than one involved' - Chinese proverb

Paul Cavezza
14-11-2011, 03:52 AM
me on CC: Which world champ was it who said "only chickens don't play e4"?
someone: Muhammad Ali?!

Kevin Bonham
23-09-2012, 12:44 AM
I recently found out that when he was being praised after winning his famous game (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1132699) against von Bardeleben at the age of 59, Steinitz said:

Alas, it is a game of my younger days.

Dr Swartz
14-11-2012, 10:33 AM
"Chess is a game by its form, an art by its content and a science by the difficulty of gaining mastery in it. Chess can convey as much happiness as a good book or work of music can. However, it is necessary to learn to play well and only afterwards will one experience real delight." – Tigran Petrosian.

machomortensen
14-11-2012, 03:03 PM
@ Dr Swartz.

Interesting. Where and when did he say so??

Rincewind
14-11-2012, 04:03 PM
@ Dr Swartz.

Interesting. Where and when did he say so??

FWIW it's listed on Wikipedia but not with source. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigran_Petrosian

Dr Swartz
02-12-2012, 11:15 AM
"Chess is a fairy tale of 1001 blunders." - Savielly Tartakower.

Geelong Grizzle
11-12-2012, 01:00 AM
Cult of fame a triumph for banality.

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box - Italian proverb.

Rincewind
11-12-2012, 01:25 AM
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box - Italian proverb.

Checkmate is the great equaliser? :)

Geelong Grizzle
11-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Clever one!

Geelong Grizzle
21-12-2012, 09:07 PM
By this measure (on the gap between Fischer and his contemporaries), I consider him the greatest World champion. (Garry Kasparov)

Dr Swartz
04-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Cult of fame a triumph for banality.

I really love this quote. This reminds me of Murong Bo, a character in my favorite novel - "Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils". Murong Bo is a descendant of the royal families of the Yan states in the Sixteen Kingdoms era in China. He is a ruthless man who want to restore Yan at all cost. He did so many bad things. In the end, he was saved by the Sweeper Monk. After that, Murong Bo abandoned his delusional ambitions and became Sweeper Monk's student. He finally understood an important point: it doesn't matter if you're a king or a normal person - everyone will die; wealth, power, social-status and pleasure do not exist in the after-life.

We all need to have meaningful goals in life but we should not get obsessed with them to the point that we want to realize those goals at all cost - even by unscrupulous means.

Today I found an interesting quote by Savielly Tartakower: Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do.

...and another interesting quote by Rudolf Spielman:
I can see the combinations as well as Alekhine, but I cannot get into the same positions.

These quotes reminds me of a chapter I've read from "Do less achieve more" by Chin ning Chu. The chapter named "Trade what you have for what you want". When talking about "preparing to succeed", Chu stated that we should always prepare for the moment when the goddess of fortune visits us. Everyone knows what to do in good times, yet only winners know what to do in bad times (when there is nothing to do). In order to be a chess champion, a player needs to know not only how to win a winning position (tactics) but also how to create a winning position (strategy). In order to be a champion in life, a person needs to know what to do when he is still at the bottom of the ladder and does not see any hope in life - this is when he develops a strategy for his life.

Adamski
04-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Good quotes from the good Dr.

machomortensen
05-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Dr. Swartz

Where did you find them?

Dr Swartz
05-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Dr. Swartz

Where did you find them?

From chessgames.com and Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savielly_Tartakower

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1012578

Kevin Bonham
10-06-2014, 12:07 AM
A quote from Jan Hein Donner that sums up my experience this weekend and probably at many other times:

"I love all positions. Give me a difficult positional game, I will play it. Give me a bad position, I will defend it. Openings, endgames, complicated positions, dull draws, I love them and I will do my very best. But totally won positions, I cannot stand them."

MichaelBaron
10-06-2014, 03:48 AM
It is not enough to be a good chess players. You also need to play well! (Romanovsky)

Adamski
10-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Dr Tartakower's classic: "No-one ever won a game by resigning." (Temporarily forgotten by Jeff Cabilin last week and at other times by me.)

It occurred to me that it is still a loss even if the opponent keels over in surprise and dies!

ER
19-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Super GM Anish Giri cracks me up. His latest published jewel of wisdom ... "The only problem with Pawn sacrifices is that you have to sacrifice Pawns"! :P :)

Nick Connor
28-09-2015, 01:29 AM
"While all artists are not chess players, all chess players are artists" -
Marcel Duchamp

ER
28-09-2015, 02:01 AM
"While all artists are not chess players, all chess players are artists" -
Marcel Duchamp

well he was both! :) welcome aboard mate!

triplecheck
20-12-2015, 10:56 PM
GM Bent Larsen, late in his career:

"Most days now I have no ideas and just play the English."

-----

I always liked this one from GM Miguel Najdorf, one of the world's top ten players for quite a long period:

"When, in a position that has been played a thousand times, my opponent plays a NEW MOVE, I say to myself: Either this is a genius move or an idiot move. A genius is born once every hundred years. An idiot every minute."

Geelong Grizzle
22-12-2015, 02:16 AM
"All that now seems to stand between Nigel and the prospect of the World crown, is the unfortunate fact that fate brought him into this world only two years after me."
Garry Kasparov - prophetic 1987 comment.

Kevin Bonham
22-12-2015, 09:11 AM
GM Bent Larsen, late in his career:

"Most days now I have no ideas and just play the English."

That increasingly explains my repertoire with white too.

ER
22-12-2015, 02:37 PM
That increasingly explains my repertoire with white too.

How can you do that to me??? :eek: I kept on practicing my antibonham four knights variations for the last 10 months! :wall:

machomortensen
25-12-2015, 07:41 AM
@ Triplecheck

"GM Bent Larsen, late in his career:

"Most days now I have no ideas and just play the English.""

Do you remember where and when he said that??

Kevin Bonham
25-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Yes it would be useful to source that one since it isn't sourced anywhere online that I can find.

James Peirce
25-12-2015, 08:24 PM
"Before the endgame the gods have placed the middlegame."-Tarrasch
" A pawn is worth a little trouble."-Tarrasch

triplecheck
02-01-2016, 05:43 PM
@ Triplecheck

"GM Bent Larsen, late in his career:

"Most days now I have no ideas and just play the English.""

Do you remember where and when he said that??

I shortened it from memory into something more pithy. From a chess magazine interview I think, but finding it now would be a major effort. It stuck in my mind but not as verbatim text.

Desmond
02-01-2016, 07:32 PM
"It's not a quote if you change the words." Albert Heinseight

Adamski
02-01-2016, 10:23 PM

In hindsight, Heinseight is right!

MichaelBaron
02-01-2016, 11:54 PM
''Patzer sees check - Patzer plays check'' (Unknown Author)

triplecheck
03-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Might have a lot of trouble with that, especially if it's translated.

Heck, they're still arguing about what Armstrong said when he stepped on to the moon. He meant to say "a" before man but it's not audible. He didn't remember whether or not he said it. There's the burst-of-static-dingo-ate-my-baby theory. Then there's the gunman on the grassy knoll to consider...

ElevatorEscapee
03-01-2016, 06:36 PM
''Patzer sees check - Patzer plays check'' (Unknown Author)

One of my regular lightning opponents happily said that every time I placed him in check... one day, I placed him in mate, which he didn't immediatley realise, and he cried out "patzer sees check, patzer plays check", to which I politely responded: "patzer sees mate, patzer plays mate". :D

Craig_Hall
04-01-2016, 05:38 PM
One of my regular lightning opponents happily said that every time I placed him in check... one day, I placed him in mate, which he didn't immediatley realise, and he cried out "patzer sees check, patzer plays check", to which I politely responded: "patzer sees mate, patzer plays mate". :D

Another old classic comes to mind - "Never miss a check, it might be mate" :D.

Kevin Bonham
09-01-2016, 09:17 AM
I was discussing preparation with the late Glen Gibbs once and he said something like "My opponents have a sixth sense for my preparation, and avoid it".

Desmond
09-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Instead of: All the Gear, no idea
All the books, can't play endings with rooks!

Kevin Bonham
09-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Instead of: All the Gear, no idea
All the books, can't play endings with rooks!

That would be me then.

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2017, 12:06 PM
My approach is quite old fashioned, and I prefer to avoid, especially with black, playing openings I know nothing about...

source (http://en.chessbase.com/post/so-on-so)

Frank
21-01-2017, 02:09 PM
source (http://en.chessbase.com/post/so-on-so)

I have found it rather difficult to find chess quotes with definitive sources. William Winter has something to say about it. (I have to admit that I myself can't resist the titillative power of common quotes that have untaceable attributions - take with a grain of salt).

Capablanca-Fan
21-01-2017, 04:36 PM
I have found it rather difficult to find chess quotes with definitive sources. William Winter has something to say about it. (I have to admit that I myself can't resist the titillative power of common quotes that have untaceable attributions - take with a grain of salt).

Probably Edward Winter, the scourge of sloppy chess writing.

Frank
21-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Probably Edward Winter, the scourge of sloppy chess writing.

You are on the ball, absolutely right!!!

Kevin Bonham
30-01-2017, 12:28 AM
Idiocy. Anger. Disgust.

- tweeting after losing a game today.

Thebes
30-01-2017, 12:58 AM

He actually tweeted that on the 25th, his tweet today after his loss to Wesley was where he replied to the tweet you mentionted with "High time to quote yourself"

Frank
30-01-2017, 01:08 AM

Spent inordinate amount of time looking for a quote and missed Federer - idiocy, anger, disgust

idledim
30-01-2017, 09:42 PM
When I have a good tournament, people say I'm a good player; when I have a bad tournament, they say I'm a good guy. (Aronian)

Frank
31-01-2017, 07:47 AM

Against GM Wesley So?

ER
31-01-2017, 11:18 AM
chess is very much like life ... only in life you 're not allowed j'adoubes! (mine)

machomortensen
08-02-2017, 09:33 PM
BENT LARSEN:

" The sale of chess books in England is fantastic; it must be as well organized as the sale of alcohol."

["A Book of Chess" (1973)]

machomortensen
08-02-2017, 09:35 PM
PAUL BROEKHUYSE:

"Carlsen's behaviour at the post-game press conferences was unimpressive. At times he showed the sort of petulance that would make Nick Kyrgios blush."

(The Australian 10th December 2016)''

Off topic: Kyrgios probably NEVER blushes.

MichaelBaron
08-02-2017, 11:14 PM
PAUL BROEKHUYSE:

"Carlsen's behaviour at the post-game press conferences was unimpressive. At times he showed the sort of petulance that would make Nick Kyrgios blush."

(The Australian 10th December 2016)''

Off topic: Kyrgios probably NEVER blushes.

Well...sounds entertaining..but totally disagree :)

machomortensen
09-02-2017, 03:19 PM
Count Alberic O’Kelly de Galway:

“The black king is in the gas chamber and stoically awaits his end.”

(“Tigran Petrosian World Champion” (1965))

0-0-0

Michael Adams:

"As usual in Ostend, I had prepared for this game with a few beers followed by a Jean-Claude van Damme film."

(“Chess in the Fast Lane” (1996))

0-0-0

Joel Benjamin:

“No one has even been ruined by facing strong competition, but plenty of players have failed to develop from not facing strong competition.”

(“American Grandmaster” (2007))

0-0-0

Mark Dvoretsky on Karpov:

“We spent one night at the train station in Berlin. To pass the time, we played cards. Karpov demonstrated his striking talent at game-playing. I explained the rules of a game that he had never played before to him, and Tolya began beating everyone right away.”

("For Friends & Colleagues Volume 1" (2014))

0-0-0

Dominic Lawson:

“Kasparov booked a table at Ken Lo's Memories of China in Ebury Street. At the end of the dinner, when the Russian was paying the bill, the waiter suddenly seemed to recognize Nigel. "Excuse me," the Chinese asked Short, "but aren't you the world chess champion?" "Kasparov looked amazed," Nigel told me, giggling with the memory of it. "So I said to the waiter, "No, I am not the world chess champion. I am the next one.”

(”The Inner Game” (1993))

0-0-0

ER
09-02-2017, 09:31 PM
(...)Dominic Lawson:
“Kasparov booked a table at Ken Lo's Memories of China in Ebury Street. At the end of the dinner, when the Russian was paying the bill, the waiter suddenly seemed to recognize Nigel. "Excuse me," the Chinese asked Short, "but aren't you the world chess champion?" "Kasparov looked amazed," Nigel told me, giggling with the memory of it. "So I said to the waiter, "No, I am not the world chess champion. I am the next one.”
(”The Inner Game” (1993))

LOL good one Henrik!

machomortensen
27-03-2017, 06:47 AM
"Tomato" - whoever he is - said so (23-03-17): "Chess is 50% chess, the other 50% is about your lifestyle, health, etc."

James Peirce
27-03-2017, 02:15 PM
"It seems utterly impossible for either player to save the game" Staunton
"Rook endgames are always drawn" Tarrasch
"Chess is too important to commit memory" Lasker
" If i offer a draw it means i am losing" Me

guruduff
05-05-2017, 11:40 PM
reporter:" Is chess better than sex?"
Kasparov: "it depends on the position"

guruduff
05-05-2017, 11:44 PM
During the FIDE candidates matches, when Garry Kasparov was asked who the challenger would likely be, he made the glib answer: "It will be Short and it will be short!"

Capablanca-Fan
06-05-2017, 08:41 AM
"Rook endgames are always drawn" Tarrasch
But Tarrasch won this rook endgame against Thorold (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1257895), which Irving Chernev called "The most instructive Rook and Pawn ending ever played" (in The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3YE81A/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1), a book I think all club players would enjoy and learn from. If the descriptive notation is too hard, then play through the moves on ChessGames.com (http://www.chessgames.com)).

Kevin Bonham
06-05-2017, 02:12 PM
It doesn't seem to be clearly established who originally said "all rook endings are drawn" or when they said it. See #5498 here: http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter45.html for instance.

machomortensen
07-05-2017, 05:38 AM
"reporter:" Is chess better than sex?"
Kasparov: "it depends on the position""

Normally, Aljechin is quoted for that one ... Although I'm not sure that he ever said so.

idledim
22-05-2017, 12:58 PM
" A little shocked by the news of the Nobel Prize for Literature, William Golding blundered into a knight fork." (Latest NIC Magazine)

Kevin Bonham
04-09-2017, 11:34 PM
I tell them that the most important tournament is the one you are in.

Explanation: http://gorkachc.blogspot.com.au/2017/09/mcc-open-round-2.html

Capablanca-Fan
06-09-2017, 02:13 AM
Explanation: http://gorkachc.blogspot.com.au/2017/09/mcc-open-round-2.html

By the same reasoning, wouldn't the most important game be the one you're playing?

ER
30-01-2018, 01:07 PM
From Face Book earlier today

Robert Huntington's response:

Careful. People have been burned for lesser heresies.

Frank
09-02-2018, 11:03 AM
A quote from Jan Hein Donner that sums up my experience this weekend and probably at many other times:

"I love all positions. Give me a difficult positional game, I will play it. Give me a bad position, I will defend it. Openings, endgames, complicated positions, dull draws, I love them and I will do my very best. But totally won positions, I cannot stand them."

A primary source?

idledim
09-02-2018, 12:49 PM
A primary source?

It's from his essay, On the Justice of Chess (p.19 in my NIC 2nd. edition of The King - Chess Pieces, J.H. Donner )

Frank
09-02-2018, 02:25 PM
It's from his essay, On the Justice of Chess (p.19 in my NIC 2nd. edition of The King - Chess Pieces, J.H. Donner )

Many thanks!

Kevin Bonham
23-11-2018, 02:38 AM
"Chess is a constant struggle between my desire not to lose and my desire not to think" - attributed to GM Jan Gustaffson.

A neater version of "Chess is a battle between your aversion to the pain of losing and your aversion to the pain of thinking" (source unknown)

antichrist
23-11-2018, 06:29 AM
During the FIDE candidates matches, when Garry Kasparov was asked who the challenger would likely be, he made the glib answer: "It will be Short and it will be short!"

But as the spoken word would not have capitals we presume you have it correct.

Kevin Bonham
13-01-2019, 07:44 PM
From @chess24.com:

Nepomniachtchi on choosing to play the Pirc vs. Giri: "The usual citizen has his own day. So in the morning he goes to work - sees his children, he hugs his wife. But some professional chess players begin their day with analysing the Najdorf or Berlin..."

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Often not a fan of Evgenij Miroshnichenko's commentary but he just made a great comment:

"The lower the time control, the less respect you have for your opponent".

MichaelBaron
26-09-2019, 03:55 PM
Often not a fan of Evgenij Miroshnichenko's commentary but he just made a great comment:

"The lower the time control, the less respect you have for your opponent".

This actually depends....when it comes to the final seconds..the kids indeed fight it out bravely but for older players -sometimes respect ''kicks in''