PDA

View Full Version : How do you remember the piece count when doing a combo?

Paul Cavezza
20-07-2009, 02:48 AM
I always find myself forgetting and having to start the calculation again.

Or, if my calculation is interspersed with piece counts after every move I probably get more calculations wrong..

it's a simple thing but pretty annoying, i was wondering if anyone has a system for it.

Desmond
20-07-2009, 09:12 AM
I remember once years ago I played a combination, feeling suitably pleased with myself, it was 4 or so moves and I was winning a pawn. Realised at the end of it that I was a piece down. :doh: :lol:

Rincewind
20-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I remember once years ago I played a combination, feeling suitably pleased with myself, it was 4 or so moves and I was winning a pawn. Realised at the end of it that I was a piece down. :doh: :lol:

Yeah it happens sometimes. However I tend to not use piece counts in terms of defense and attack of squares as you have to take into account the relative worth of the pieces in question and importantly the order in which they are able to capture. For example, if a queen and rook are defending a passed pawn is the queen in front of or behind the rook. Therefore I tend to try to visualise the combination move by move to verify there are no points where the opponent can bail out with a material advantage.

Paul Cavezza
20-07-2009, 10:28 AM
my calculations go like this:

"Ok.. knight takes pawn, rook takes knight, Bishop check forks... King moves there... Bishop takes rook.. Pawn takes bishop... ok.. now... wait... am I... up an exch...... concentrate on the position: Knight takes pawn.. ok.. so that's... 2 pawns...... a bishop and a knight for me.. andd.... a rook and........ for him...."

Next move you see your queen off the table!

ER
20-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Use the right hand's fingers for moves and the left's for pieces! If you run out of fingers use toes, after they are used too, I don't know, be a centipede next life! :P

Igor_Goldenberg
20-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Use the right hand's fingers for moves and the left's for pieces! If you run out of fingers use toes, after they are used too, I don't know, be a centipede next life! :P
If you have to use both fingers and toes the combination is too complicated to rely on calculation.

ER
20-07-2009, 03:06 PM
If you have to use both fingers and toes the combination is too complicated to rely on calculation.
lol, hi Igor, in my case every combination comprising more than one move is considered complicated! :wall: :doh: :lol:

Paul Cavezza
20-07-2009, 07:00 PM
haha- is that one of those 'rules for good chess'?

#47. If the combination requires fingers and toes.......