PDA

View Full Version : Should there be an adult section on the board?

Kevin Bonham
27-07-2004, 04:12 AM
Matthew Sweeney has proposed that there be an adult (18+) section on the board:

I hope one feature will be an 18+ zone - a place where adults can be candid and free to be mature.

This would probably work as follows. The adult section would be a Restricted Access forum which posters would need to apply to join. Even posters known to be adult would not be automatically added unless they wanted to be. Posters would be expected to prove they were over 18 in order to join.

There would be no moderation (or moderation only in very extreme cases) for language, crudity, grossness, anatomical imagery etc. Certainly it would be at least as liberal as an Australian R rating. We haven't discussed it yet but I assume there would still be some moderation of illegal material - defamation etc. Not sure if there would be thread management to split threads that go off-topic, but there would be room for both chess and non-chess posts there.

On balance I'm in favour of this idea just because it would open up a venue for adults to express themselves with less censorship - such a venue seems desirable to me whether it is used much or not. Plus it would provide a good answer to people complaining about getting censored for language - they could post their say on the adult section instead. Maybe it would even lead to some posters being less crude on the main section ... OK, I am allowed to dream ...

Some reservations:

(i) I would hope that if it does come about, posters will keep most substantive chess discussions on the open-age section. Otherwise the open-age section may lose topic or post volume.

(ii) Despite Matt's claim that it will be a place where adults can be candid and "free to be mature", my experience of the very primitive and difficult-to-censor ACF BBs from 2002 and before was that most of the adult content posted there was not especially "mature" but was instead toilet humour, sexist sleaze and gross-out attempts. Still, there would have been some quality (mostly off-topic) content that would be censored if it appeared here now.

Garvinator
27-07-2004, 08:48 AM
I am plainly against this idea. I know it would lower what quality this board already has and just encourage garbage and rude postings.

arosar
27-07-2004, 09:28 AM
I am plainly against this idea. I know it would lower what quality this board already has and just encourage garbage and rude postings.

You idiot! If you don't wanna be there, then don't be there. It's opt-in!!

Impolement this idea immediately.

AR

Garvinator
27-07-2004, 09:49 AM
You idiot! If you don't wanna be there, then don't be there. It's opt-in!!

Impolement this idea immediately.

AR
i knew having you on ignore was a good idea, im returning you to ignore.

arosar
27-07-2004, 09:54 AM
i knew having you on ignore was a good idea, im returning you to ignore.

Oh I'm sooo touched!

AR

Ian Rout
27-07-2004, 10:40 AM
I voted Yes on this one. I'm not really fussed about a few rude words on the main boards - I know there are young people reading but a visit to the Woden bus interchange, or the equivalent in your locality, will demonstrate that there are no "adult" words or concepts that they don't already know, and employ incessantly.

However a policy on language has been announced and implemented and it is tedious in the extreme to have the Matthews of the world deliberately flouting the policy, with the obvious intention of having the post edited so they can get on their high horse about being censored. Scholar's Mate is harder to pick. If we can get this nonsense off the serious topics then it has to be a good thing.

Garvinator
27-07-2004, 10:59 AM
If we can get this nonsense off the serious topics then it has to be a good thing.
but ian, as soon as a moderator moves any posts from the chess section to the adult section, the matts of the world will complain anyway. there is no way to stop the complaining. I just dont think garbage is required to be encouraged in any form. It seems we are moving away from the higher moderation standards that was promised when we moved here from the old bb.

skip to my lou
27-07-2004, 01:46 PM
I will check poll tonight and make a decision.

Kevin Bonham
27-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Currently the "no" vote leads by one so it looks like the idea is quite contentious and will probably get scrapped if support does not pick up.

Garvin: We haven't discussed this but I assume that, to discourage people from posting adult material in the general section expecting the mods to move it, any adult material posted in the general section would simply be deleted - there would need to be a firm no-move policy.

Garvinator
27-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Currently the "no" vote leads by one so it looks like the idea is quite contentious and will probably get scrapped if support does not pick up.

Garvin: We haven't discussed this but I assume that, to discourage people from posting adult material in the general section expecting the mods to move it, any adult material posted in the general section would simply be deleted - there would need to be a firm no-move policy.
why does there need to be an adult only section anyways?

Alan Shore
28-07-2004, 02:32 AM
why does there need to be an adult only section anyways?

Is there even anyone under 18 on this board that posts?

skip to my lou
28-07-2004, 02:36 AM
Yes

PHAT
28-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Is there even anyone under 18 on this board that posts?

More to the point, are there any U18s here whose parents would care if there was some blue collar humour?

Garvinator
28-07-2004, 10:36 AM
well so far 4 for 7 against.

skip to my lou
28-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Ok guys, I will not be adding adult only section.

Alan Shore
28-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Yes

Hardly any.

skip to my lou
28-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Hardly any post. But I know many that read.

Alan Shore
28-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Hardly any post. But I know many that read.

On another forum I go to there is a whole section that is Unmoderated. (This is a forum about games and stuff so many u18). Some of the stuff in there is diabolical.. a bit of foul language is the least of anyone's worries. I guess it's an idea, rather than an o18 section that would probably be moderated anyway.. and too hard to check validity of participants.

ursogr8
20-10-2004, 08:40 AM
hi Jeo
What was the drum with the new member WHITE ELEPHANT?
Last night it (the handle) was appearing as a BANNED member? Today, exonerated.

starter

WhiteElephant
20-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Perhaps asking me might be a good idea?

Hello everyone. My name is George. I joined the forum last night but when I introduced myself it appears I was judged by association and my handle was banned.

I was permitted to reactivate my handle on the condition that I do not mention certain details.

As cryptic as that may sound, I look forward to being part of the forum and getting to know some of you.

ursogr8
20-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Perhaps asking me might be a good idea?

Hello everyone. My name is George. I joined the forum last night but when I introduced myself it appears I was judged by association and my handle was banned.

I was permitted to reactivate my handle on the condition that I do not mention certain details.

As cryptic as that may sound, I look forward to being part of the forum and getting to know some of you.

W.E.

Welcome from me anyway W.E., even if you got on the end of a forward pass from Jeo.

The fact that you give me a cryptic answer, which just titillates rather than provides the actually answer, just re-inforces the goodness of my first instinct which was to ask Jeo for an explanation. ;)

starter

skip to my lou
20-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Ask WhiteElephant by private message.

ursogr8
24-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Another new member appears.
His name is !^letmein^!

But this one gets banned too.
What is the story behind this one Jeo?

regards
starter

skip to my lou
24-10-2004, 09:54 PM
This person registered plenty of accounts with fake email address, with no posts at all. Yes I can confirm it is the same person. Usually such accounts are created for spamming.

ursogr8
24-10-2004, 10:02 PM
This person registered plenty of accounts with fake email address, with no posts at all. Yes I can confirm it is the same person. Usually such accounts are created for spamming.

Sounds like a good decision of yours K.

eclectic
25-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Another new member appears.
His name is !^letmein^!

But this one gets banned too.
What is the story behind this one Jeo?

regards
starter

sheesh ...

what imaginative names these spammers give themselves !!

;)

eclectic

ursogr8
25-10-2004, 09:04 PM
sheesh ...

what imaginative names these spammers give themselves !!

;)

eclectic

Perhaps the spammer set out to find a word that was the best possible from diverse sources.
I know someone else who did that. :hmm:

Recherché
25-10-2004, 09:37 PM
I know someone else who did that. :hmm:

Or perhaps several. ;)