PDA

View Full Version : What do players do?

antichrist
01-07-2009, 01:26 PM
What do the players do when the DOP is also playing and is three games late in finishing his games, everybody else has, or everybody of consequence, the DOP can see where all the rivals are placed as far as points earnt and then can decide to play for draw or wins himself. The other players playing on time do not have this luxury and may be unfair advantage.

Capablanca-Fan
01-07-2009, 01:51 PM
What do the players do when the DOP is also playing and is three games late in finishing his games, everybody else has, or everybody of consequence, the DOP can see where all the rivals are placed as far as points earnt and then can decide to play for draw or wins himself. The other players playing on time do not have this luxury and may be unfair advantage.
A player should not direct when there is money involved, e.g. I did not play when I directed the Logan Day of Knights. (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=8127&highlight=knights) In club chess, it's often unavoidable that a director is also a player, but he should recuse himself when it comes to his own games or games in which he has a conflict of interest. In such cases, there should be another person available to make rulings.

FWIW, I've been the director of the Logan club (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6189) for about a decade, with no problems of conflict of interest. I think Kevin Bonham is the same with the Hobart International club (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=3172).

Rincewind
01-07-2009, 03:02 PM

I agree with Jono's comments and would add that Wollongong Collegians have not had any issues in this regard that I'm aware of and the usual director is also a player in every event. Although he is a strong player in the context of the club he doesn't win as many games as I feel he could which is partially due to the effort of directing taking away time he could spend developing his game and preparing for opponents. There is also the occasional interruption during play which is sometime unavoidable and can have a detrimental effect on the directors results, more often than not.

That being said, I am a little confused how the DOP is privy to any insider information here. Surely the results are available to everyone (or should be) and thus any player still involved with a game and in the running for a prize can decide to play slowly, see if some rival's results change the tables such that a draw is all that is necessary and modify their play as necessary. If it is a question of tie-breaks, they should be known and advertised in advance and therefore any player can calculate these if they are so motivated.

antichrist
01-07-2009, 03:15 PM
I agree with Jono's comments and would add that Wollongong Collegians have not had any issues in this regard that I'm aware of and the usual director is also a player in every event. Although he is a strong player in the context of the club he doesn't win as many games as I feel he could which is partially due to the effort of directing taking away time he could spend developing his game and preparing for opponents. There is also the occasional interruption during play which is sometime unavoidable and can have a detrimental effect on the directors results, more often than not.

That being said, I am a little confused how the DOP is privy to any insider information here. Surely the results are available to everyone (or should be) and thus any player still involved with a game and in the running for a prize can decide to play slowly, see if some rival's results change the tables such that a draw is all that is necessary and modify their play as necessary. If it is a question of tie-breaks, they should be known and advertised in advance and therefore any player can calculate these if they are so motivated.

One can't really play slowly enough to be behind three games like the DOP was. Maybe the DOP should have forfeited himself/herself if could not genuinely complete the games in a timely manner.

Are you implying for the whole entrants to go slow and copy the DOP? That is playing ducks and dragons. Sometimes the consequences and how slow the DOP is not known until it has already arrived at and players don't like to take on the DOP probably, coz voluntary job and probably friends or at least friendly coz have known them for many years. And they also may be a NSCA official.

Kevin Bonham
02-07-2009, 01:33 AM
antichrist doesn't really convince me that the DOP he refers to has either (i) fallen behind because he is the DOP or (ii) used his DOP powers to get away with falling behind when he otherwise wouldn't. So I am not sure the issue has anything to do with his DOP status.

When directing a weekly tournament where it is not compulsory to sit out, I often choose to let others play and take the night off myself. However I am one of the most regular attendees so I know I can always catch up.

There is also the occasional interruption during play which is sometime unavoidable and can have a detrimental effect on the directors results, more often than not.

We have a convention here that when the arbiter attends to an incident the opponent stops their clock. However even so the distraction can still be detrimental. I particularly find it difficult if there are many incidents while I am trying to play one game.

The current situation is that I do not serve as an arbiter in the Tasmanian Open or Tasmanian Championships, though I may act as an organiser (a pure DOP role without arbiting) in either. I do serve as an arbiter in minor weekenders where required but we always appoint two assistants so that no arbiter ever rules on their own game.

antichrist
02-07-2009, 07:22 AM
I wont try to convince you as must work, but the players are sore about it because the DOP won by only half a point weeks after all the other important games.