PDA

View Full Version : Swissperfect help pls

WhiteElephant
12-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Can someone advise me how to handle the following in Swissperfect.

I have a field of 120 players. I want to make sure that players in the bottom half play only others in the bottom half (& top half play only top half) for the first 2 rounds. Then all play all based on the points they have scored from round 3.

Kevin Bonham
12-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Can someone advise me how to handle the following in Swissperfect.

I have a field of 120 players. I want to make sure that players in the bottom half play only others in the bottom half for the first 2 rounds. Then all play all based on the points they have scored from round 3.

Go to Tournament Options: Accelerated Pairings.

In the space for Participants from 1 to whatever, enter 60.

In the space Points allocated to this group enter 2.

In the space stop acceleration AFTER round enter 2.

Players will only play players from their own half of the draw (and in round 2 with the same score as them) in each of the first two rounds.

NB I do not actually recommend this system, just telling you how to do it. :D

WhiteElephant
12-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks, Kevin, I will play around with it and see how I go.

I am not a fan of acceleration myself but the purpose here is to avoid kids in prep/grade 1 & complete beginners playing experienced players so they don't get discouraged.

I guess if they are on 2/2 they can then play someone older & stronger but in that case they deserve it as they have won 2 games.

Not sure how well it will work and not 100% sure I should implement it but I think I will give it a shot.

Kevin Bonham
12-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I am not a fan of acceleration myself but the purpose here is to avoid kids in prep/grade 1 & complete beginners playing experienced players so they don't get discouraged.

That is a quite good reason for adopting such a system. I retract my previous non-recommendation; it sounds like a pretty good idea for that sort of case. Most likely all the weak half will get a hard game in round 3 but will have at least had some practice and many of them will have wins under their belt rather than being on zip/2.

Garvinator
12-06-2009, 04:31 PM
I was thinking that WE might have been asking this question with tongue in cheek a bit considering the other thread :lol: ;)

Kevin Bonham
24-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Curiously enough in a mixed interschool yesterday I had a request to quarantine the weaker littlies from the strongest highschool players so I used almost exactly the system WE mentioned. It meant that although there were highschool-primary matchups there were none involving strong highschool players playing weak primary players.

This could also be done using made-up ratings to seed the field.

WhiteElephant
25-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Heh I actually didn't end up doing this because of the problem of having to make up ratings. As far as I know, Swissperfect doesn't let you move players around in the seeding order unless they have ratings. I didn't realise this till the morning of the tournament. And I didn't feel like experimenting with making up ratings on the day without having tested it. I suppose you could do it by giving the top half of the field a rating of one and the rest a rating of zero to split the field?

I'll try it next time.

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2009, 03:03 AM
I suppose you could do it by giving the top half of the field a rating of one and the rest a rating of zero to split the field?

That is basically what I did (small field so not much effort involved).