PDA

View Full Version : One pawn up?

Saragossa
03-06-2009, 01:19 AM
8/7p/6p1/3rp1k1/5pq1/8/5PPP/2R1Q1K1 b - - 0 1

You are one pawn ahead, you seem to have the intiative, slip into some kind of draw and you lose the half point you worked so hard for. But how do you do it? Your challenge is to create the best winning plan that you possibly can, if you don't think that it is winnable say why.

All answers in white text and have as much fun as possible!

The background for this is that me and Marcus often study/mess around with openings and middle game positions. And we were playing through a critical postion of an opening a couple of times and we ended up with this position. We both tried our best to find winning plans and found a couple of little surprises along the way, ENJOY!

Saragossa
03-06-2009, 02:04 AM
1...e4 appealed to use both.

1...e4 2.h3 Qf5 (Qe6 is also a try) 3.Rc4 Re5 4. h4+ (Qc1 seems to be an improvement) ...Kxh4 5. f3+ Kg5 6. fxe4 which I think gives black good chances.

I'll do more when I can because we found some lines where g3 worked really well in combination with pinning blacks pawns to his ing to make them targets.

Kevin Bonham
03-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Black needs to be very careful about swapping queens since white may be able to draw the KR ending with 4-3 on one side, although given the advancement of the black pawns it may be that black wins anyway. Wouldn't want to swap rooks in a hurry either.

One idea is 1...e4!? Black cannot take it and cannot move either heavy piece off the back rank. White might have to try 2.h3 then black could play ...Qe6 and build towards ...e3

Another idea I like is 1...Qd7. Same sort of idea - chain black's big pieces to the back rank with threats on d1 and work for either provoking a weakening kingside pawn move or else controlling the 7th.

Saragossa
03-06-2009, 02:37 AM
Just quickly looked at Kevin's idea and got a clever little triangulation type thing going to an otherwise alright looking idea.

1...Qd7 2. g3 (looks good attacking the central pawns, weakens the kingside abit but this is inevitable if you want to not get backranked) ...Qg4! back where we started but with the important difference compared to 1...f3? 2. g3 is that the d1 sqaure is still covered and you are threatening to bust up the kingside.

Kevin Bonham
03-06-2009, 02:42 AM
I've just noticed that if 1...Qd7 white has 2.Qe2 but then 2...Qd6 looks solid.

Against 2.g3 do have to watch for Qe4. Maybe 2...Qd6 there as well.

Saragossa
03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Looked at 1...Qd7 2. g3 bit different this time though.

1...Qd7 2. g3 Qg4 3. h4+ Kh5 4. Qb4 (pins f4)...Rd4 5. Qe7 (forking h7 and e5)

Tony Dowden
15-11-2009, 08:57 PM
8/7p/6p1/3rp1k1/5pq1/8/5PPP/2R1Q1K1 b - - 0 1

You are one pawn ahead, you seem to have the intiative, slip into some kind of draw and you lose the half point you worked so hard for. But how do you do it? Your challenge is to create the best winning plan that you possibly can, if you don't think that it is winnable say why.

All answers in white text and have as much fun as possible!

The background for this is that me and Marcus often study/mess around with openings and middle game positions. And we were playing through a critical postion of an opening a couple of times and we ended up with this position. We both tried our best to find winning plans and found a couple of little surprises along the way, ENJOY!

1...e4!? looks like the natural move (to prevent 2.f3 - although I'm not too sure if White really wants to do this or not). 2.h4+ is an interesting reply with three lines: [A] 2...Kxh4?? loses to 3.f3+, B: 2...Qxh4 3.Qxe4 and its hard to see Black winning any more, and [C] 2...Kf5! and although there is no back rank mate White pawns have been unnecessarily weakened. So maybe 2.h3 is better.

Jesper Norgaard
16-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Just quickly looked at Kevin's idea and got a clever little triangulation type thing going to an otherwise alright looking idea.

1...Qd7 2. g3 (looks good attacking the central pawns, weakens the kingside a bit but this is inevitable if you want to not get backranked) ...Qg4! back where we started but with the important difference compared to 1...f3? 2. g3 is that the d1 square is still covered and you are threatening to bust up the kingside.
In general terms I think there is no "winning plan" here as white should have fair chances to draw. His first positional threat in my opinon is to play f3 himself making the e5 pawn backwards. I like 1...e4 for that reason, and I would bet 1...Qd7 2.f3 is Okay for white. The biggest chance is to get a pawn endgame because that will sure-fire win even with a backward e5 pawn. A 4-3 pawns rook endgame would be pretty dead draw. I would expect a queen ending with 4-3 pawns to bee difficult too because of risk of perpetual. So at the moment there is an advantage in not exchanging rook or queen for black unless something more is obtained.

I see you say 1...f3? is a mistake but follow up with 2.g3. In my opinion 1...f3? is a mistake only because of 2.Qe3+,Kh5 3.Qxf3 or 2...Qf4 3.gxf3! and black has nothing. If however the black king had been at h5, then 1...f3!? 2.g3?!,Qh3! 3.Qf1,Kg4! is suddenly a deadly kind of zugzwang - oh wait, he has 4.Qc4+!,Rd4 5.Qe6+ - okay so 3...Qxf1+ 4.Rxf1,Kg4! 5.h4,Kh3 6.Re1,e4 with a serious zugzwang because of first rank mates - but we are one tempo off realizing it because of 1...Kh5 2.f3! or 1...f3? 2.Qe3+. Perhaps 1...f3? 2.g3? Kh5!? would work with the same idea, and if 3.Qf1,Rd2 4.h3,Qd4 white has serious problems, see 5.Rc4,Rd1! winning the pawn endgame. But 1...f3? is hope-chess, not recommended.