PDA

View Full Version : Commonwealth Championships 2009

Alana
21-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi All

I'm just passing on the news that the 2009 Commonwealth Championship has been cancelled from Weng Nian Siow. He is unable to post it himself due to his gmail account not working with chesschat.

Here is the article from the FIDE website which can be viewed at http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/4-tournaments/3991-commonwealth-chess-championship-2009 :

Due to some very unfortunate developments in Malaysia, the Kuala Lumpur Chess Association and its sponsor have decided not to organise this year's Commonwealth Chess Championship in Ipoh, Malaysia. We spent considerable time and effort to find a solution but unfortunately are unable to satisfy the interests of ALL the parties concerned.

Instead, the event will now be organised in Singapore from 9th to 15th December 2009 in conjunction with the 6th Singapore International Chess Festival. Official invitation with full details will be announced by the first week of July 2009. For information, the dates given are dove-tailing several international open tournaments in this region and will be a great opportunity to all players.

I apologise for the inconveniences caused and look forward to your joining us in a festive chess season in the Far East in November-December.

Ignatius Leong
President
Commonwealth Chess Association

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm just passing on the news that the 2009 Commonwealth Championship has been cancelled from Weng Nian Siow. He is unable to post it himself due to his gmail account not working with chesschat.

Yes, gmail is blocked here for reasons of spam control; at a certain point we were getting several dozen gmail spammers signing up per day and there was really nothing else we could do. Virtually any other common email provider is fine.

Thanks very much for passing on this news. Since the event will still be held I will now be calling for applications for expressions of interest in selection as an adult representative probably around September. I am not sure what will happen with junior selections but I will make sure something does.

Denis_Jessop
21-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Yes, gmail is blocked here for reasons of spam control; at a certain point we were getting several dozen gmail spammers signing up per day and there was really nothing else we could do. Virtually any other common email provider is fine.

Thanks very much for passing on this news. Since the event will still be held I will now be calling for applications for expressions of interest in selection as an adult representative probably around September. I am not sure what will happen with junior selections but I will make sure something does.

Might I suggest that the misleading thread title also be changed. [done - mod]

DJ

Alana
21-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Might I suggest that the misleading thread title also be changed. [done - mod]

DJ

Thanks for this. The name was misleading :D

Kevin Bonham
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
2009 COMMONWEALTH CHAMPIONSHIPS OPEN-AGE SELECTIONS

The 2009 Commonwealth Open Championships will be held from 9-15 December in Singapore. A PDF giving event details is available on request.

The event is conducted in a Commonwealth Open section and also in U20, U16 and U12 sections. Junior selections have been conducted separately.

Australia is entitled to nominate one entrant (of any age) in the open section who shall receive a twin-share room and breakfast.

Australia is also allowed to nominate one entrant with a FIDE rating under 2200 to enter the Commonwealth Open, which is otherwise limited to players over 2200 FIDE. Being nominated as this entrant does not entail any other benefits.

Applications for these two positions are now open, and close on Monday, 21 September. It is expected that the selected players will be advised and announced not later than 9 October.

Applicants for selection as Australian representatives must email the Selections Director, Kevin Bonham, at k_bonham@tassie.net.au by 21 September, advising that they wish to apply. Players who have not applied to represent Australia in an adult event before must supply all applicable details in section 5.4 of the ACF selection by-laws (http://www.auschess.org.au/constitution/Selection%20Procedures%20after%2012%20Feb%202008.p df)

Players who have applied before do not need to supply these details but must ensure that they advise of any recent change of details, especially of address, email address and phone number.

Players may supply a list or summary of their tournament results over the previous two years (noting that the selection panel will be supplied with results of ACF-rated events in this period), and may also supply up to 400 words of comment in support of their application. As the timeframe for selections is somewhat tight, it is possible the quick selection method (average of FIDE/ACF ratings) will be used instead of the panel method, but at this stage it is expected that the latter will be used.

If an application is not acknowledged within seven days, please call 0421 428 775. Applicants are required to retain a copy of their email applying for selection. Claims for late application on the grounds of email delivery problems will not be accepted unless accompanied by a copy of the original email and a letter from the applicant's ISP confirming that the email was sent before the deadline.

Kevin Bonham

ACF Selections Director

Kevin Bonham
11-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Concerning junior selections for the C'wealth Champs, at this stage I'm not doing them and don't have any info about them, but I am checking with Shannon to see what the current state of progress is. If anyone has been involved and knows whether they have already been completed, please let me know.

Mischa
11-09-2009, 11:06 PM
If I am reading his correctly (probably not at this time of night)...juniors are not sponsed in the under 12/16/20?

Kevin Bonham
11-09-2009, 11:29 PM
If I am reading his correctly (probably not at this time of night)...juniors are not sponsed in the under 12/16/20?

Correct so far as I know. The info sent by the organisers only indicated that each federation gets one entry in the Commonwealth Open section who gets free accommodation and breakfast.

Kevin Bonham
14-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Shannon tells me that junior selections were completed in July.

Kevin Bonham
26-09-2009, 03:37 AM
Applications were received from the following:

FM Igor Goldenberg
Max Illingworth
Ben Lazarus *
WIM Alex Jule *
Emma Guo *

* = FIDE under 2200.

Results expected in about two weeks.

Kevin Bonham
03-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Igor Goldenberg has withdrawn his application as he is unable to play in the tournament.

Kevin Bonham
10-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Provisional selections:

Nominated entrant to receive twin share room and breakfast

Max Illingworth

Reserves in order:
Ben Lazarus
Emma Guo
WIM Alex Jule

Nominated entrant to play in Commonwealth Open despite being under FIDE 2200

Ben Lazarus

Reserves in order:
Emma Guo
WIM Alex Jule

My thanks to the selectors who were: IA Charles Zworestine, Ian Rout, IM Guy West, FM Geoff Saw.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

APPEAL RIGHTS

Any applicant may appeal the result of the selections within seven days, ie by 17 October 2009. Appeals can be made only on one or both of the following grounds:

* That there was a material error or omission in the selection process that has disadvantaged the applicant. (Appeals cannot be made on the grounds of any alleged material error or omission relating to the eligibility of an applicant for selection.)

* That the applicant was clearly ranked such that no selectors could have reasonably given the applicant that ranking based on the information
supplied to the selectors. Note: It is not sufficient to appeal on the basis that a player thinks that he/she should have been selected. The ranking of
the selectors has to be clearly incorrect and unreasonable.

Any player wishing to appeal shall send their appeal as an attached document to the ACF Selections Director, Kevin Bonham, email k_bonham@tassie.net.au (or by post to 410 Macquarie Street, South Hobart Tas 7004). Appeals must be accompanied by a deposit of $200 to the ACF also by 17 October - please ask for appropriate ACF bank account details if required. The deposit will be refunded if the appeal is successful.

If any appeals are lodged, applicants will be advised and invited to respond as soon as possible.

Max Illingworth
14-12-2009, 11:32 PM
http://chess-results.com/tnr27873.aspx?art=1&rd=9&lan=1&fed=AUS&m=-1&wi=1000

http://chess-results.com/tnr27872.aspx?art=1&rd=9&lan=1&fed=AUS&m=-1&wi=1000

http://chess-results.com/tnr27871.aspx?art=1&rd=9&lan=1&fed=AUS&m=-1&wi=1000

http://chess-results.com/tnr27870.aspx?art=1&rd=9&lan=1&fed=AUS&m=-1&wi=1000

Congratulations to all the Australian players :clap: :clap:

Oepty
16-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Very strong performance by Max Illingworth
Scott

Garrett
16-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Scott

yes well done Max !

brett
18-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Excellent performance Max!

Does anyone know if this result was good enough for an IM norm?

Brett

siow, weng nian
18-12-2009, 08:15 AM
An anonymous poster on my Blog left a message saying that Max needed a win in the lasy round for an IM norm but he drew unfortunately.

BTW, as I posted on my blog, Mighty Max came ahead of more highly rated players including 4 IMs (such as Malaysia's GM-aspirant IM Mas Hafizulhelmi) and 6 FMs.

http://www.australian-junior-youth-chess.blogspot.com/
http://rydeeastwoodchessclub.blogspot.com/

Adamski
18-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Scott3rd equal. Max! That's terrific in that company. Good luck for the Aus Champs.:clap: :clap: :clap:

AzureBlue
18-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Wow, congrats Max! :clap:

Adamski
19-12-2009, 07:28 AM
There is a story about Max, with photo, on page 6 of the Manly Daily today. And a small pic on the front page.