PDA

View Full Version : Anand v Topalov World Championship Match

Garvinator
19-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Time for a new thread so updates on this 'match' can be posted somewhere new.

Garvinator
19-05-2009, 10:35 PM
http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2009/05/anand-and-topalov-to-play-in-india.html

Anand and Topalov to play in India, Bulgaria, or Russia?

Baku is also preparing a proposal

Report by Chessdom.com

In an interview for Yuri Vassilev and Sport Express, the FIDE President Kirsan Ilymzhinov has revealed the true cause of the break in negotiations between UEP and FIDE. The basis of the argument is the branding possibilities that the World Chess Championship offers.

The argument has started over the absence of the logo of FIDE and its later inappropriate size in Bonn. After the nice organization though, the World Chess Federation invited once again UEP to submit a bid, followed by a contract offer. The breach was one more time the FIDE logo / sponsors placement during the event.

Anand - Topalov World Championship

At the end of the interview Kirsan Ilymzhinov commented on the possible venues of the World Chess Championship match between Anand and Topalov. "We are totally calm about the fate of the match. I have already met with the Prime Minister of Bulgaria and will also talk to him during the closing ceremony of Mtel Masters. In addition there is interest from India and a pair of neutral nations, among which Russia," said Mr. Ilymzhinov. "In addition Azerbaijan are preparing a proposal."

The FIDE President also commented the words of Silvio Danailov in his interview for Chessdom, "There is a formal condition for the participants in the bidding process, which states the prize fund should not be under certain amount. If it is above that we can only be happy, FIDE will receive more money as well."

Source: Chessdom.com

Kevin Bonham
19-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I am looking forward to this match, and unlike several other matches I don't see any great reason to doubt it will go ahead. It is certainly marketable as these two are currently the two top-rated players in the world and are both exciting players; furthermore there are no rival titles to distract interest anymore. Whether it gets organised in time for the current deadline or not could be another question.

Garvinator
04-09-2009, 03:33 AM
Bulgaria will bid to host World Chess Championships match

Bulgaria will run for hosting the World Chess Championships match early next year, Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov said after meeting with grandmaster Vesselin Topalov and his manager Silvio Danailov. Mr Borissov accepted an invitation to chair the Committee responsible for the final’s organization and called on Bulgarian business and banks to sponsor the event. The final clash between Vesselin Topalov and Indian Viswanathan Anand is expected to be early next year. The cities of Grozny, Dubai and Delhi have also been willing to host the match. http://www.bnr.bg

Kevin Bonham
04-09-2009, 01:17 PM
It would be extremely odd to hold a world title match in the home nation of the challenger.

Garvinator
04-09-2009, 01:30 PM
It would be extremely odd to hold a world title match in the home nation of the challenger.
No it's not, this is fide remember, so it is perfectly logical by fide standards :lol:

Out of the four venues mentioned, surely Dubai has to be the best choice.

Grozny and Dehli have major security concerns and both Dehli and Bulgaria are the home countries. That leaves Dubai, who should be able to come up with a decent bid as they do have cash and a history of running decent events.

Kevin Bonham
04-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Agreed.

Capablanca-Fan
04-09-2009, 03:07 PM
No it's not, this is fide remember, so it is perfectly logical by fide standards :lol:
What standards? :hmm:

For many reasons. It was also the venue my first Olympiad, and was an excellent place to hold a tourney and accommodate the players (as long as they didn't know you were Jewish ;)

bobby1972
04-09-2009, 06:43 PM
topalov is 6 years younger no contest.

Capablanca-Fan
05-09-2009, 10:12 AM
topalov is 6 years younger no contest.
In what sense? Kramnik was also 6 years younger.

ER
05-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I think Ascaro means that the age factor works in favour of Topalov!

Capablanca-Fan
05-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I thought that's what he meant. So I pointed out that an equal age factor didn't help Kramnik.

ER
05-09-2009, 03:29 PM
I thought that's what he meant. So I pointed out that an equal age factor didn't help Kramnik.

Maybe it did in the case of his WC match vs Kasparov!
Which match did you mean the age factor did not help Kramnik?

Kevin Bonham
05-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Maybe it did in the case of his WC match vs Kasparov!
Which match did you mean the age factor did not help Kramnik?

Clearly Jono means the match against Anand. Kramnik is the same age as Topalov but was walloped by Anand in their last WC match. Therefore it does not automatically follow that Topalov being six years younger will cause him to win against Anand. Kramnik was also six years younger than Anand but lost.

Saragossa
05-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I am getting so pumped for this! I so want Topa to win. But I'm putting the smart money on Anand. I love watching the openings of WC matches it's where all the work culminates so you see the best tries.

ER
05-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Clearly Jono means the match against Anand. Kramnik is the same age as Topalov but was walloped by Anand in their last WC match. Therefore it does not automatically follow that Topalov being six years younger will cause him to win against Anand. Kramnik was also six years younger than Anand but lost.
ok I got it!

Garvinator
05-09-2009, 07:10 PM
I am getting so pumped for this! I so want Topa to win. But I'm putting the smart money on Anand. I love watching the openings of WC matches it's where all the work culminates so you see the best tries.
I just want to see the match played. For me, that is an achievement in itself with the history of these world champ matches!

Of course it has to be in a decent venue ie not Grozny :uhoh:

Tony Dowden
06-09-2009, 03:09 PM
How about a couple of polls?

1. The sentimental favourite or who we hope will win, and 2. Who we think will actually win.

Kevin Bonham
06-09-2009, 08:00 PM
How about a couple of polls?

1. The sentimental favourite or who we hope will win, and 2. Who we think will actually win.

Number 1 up now. I think we should switch to #2 when the dates and venue are confirmed.

bobby1972
06-09-2009, 09:11 PM
kaspa is 26 games up against anand incredible

Capablanca-Fan
07-09-2009, 12:40 AM
kaspa is 26 games up against anand incredible
Kaspa is only 9 up against Topalov (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?yearcomp=exactly&year=&playercomp=either&pid=15940&player=&pid2=12089&player2=&movescomp=exactly&moves=&opening=&eco=&result=), but scored one of his greatest brilliancies (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1011478) against him. So did Karpov (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1069169).

Tony Dowden
14-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Funnily enough I very much want Anand to win but think that Topalov's drive might give him the edge.

Tony Dowden
14-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Number 1 up now. I think we should switch to #2 when the dates and venue are confirmed.
Thanks KB :)

Kevin Bonham
15-09-2009, 02:25 AM
Topa is still in my bad books for his behaviour against Kramnik in their match. All the same I suspect a win for him (if it happens) would have positives for chess, as well as dangers given that his manager is not the easiest guy to deal with. On balance my sentimental preference is with Anand.

What will happen? I don't really have a clue. Perhaps Topalov will have more hunger for it, since he, Anand and Kramnik have been of similar strength for a while yet he is the only one lacking an undisputed title to his name.

Adamski
15-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I am also hoping Anand can win. I don't like Topa's antics, and those of his "minder". But Anand's recent results are up and down (some surprisingly well down) so he will have his work cut out for him.

Garvinator
25-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Sofia bids to host Topalov-Anand chess crown match in April 2010
Fri, Sep 25 2009 11:50 CET
by Petar Kostadinov

Bulgaria has officially applied to host the 2010 match for the world chess crown between Bulgarian grandmaster Vesselin Topalov and world champion Viswanathan Anand, Bulgarian news agency Focus said on September 25 2009.

Bulgaria's bid is to host the FIDE World Championship Match 2010 on April 5-24 next year in Sofia. The deadline for submitting bids for the match before the World Chess Federation (FIDE) expires on September 30 2009.

On October 1, FIDE will open all bids and is expected to pick the location by October 9 at the latest. So far, Turkey and Singapore have also filed bids, Focus said.

Each bid is required to detail the proposed exact dates of the event in April 2010, the proposed tournament venue, the proposed prize fund for the players (a minimum of one million euro after taxes), the proposed official hotel (must be four-star or higher) and commitment to cover all organisational costs.

When Bulgaria first announced its intention to bid, on September 3 2009, media reports said Chechen capital Grozny, Dubai and Delhi were in the running as well.

On Bulgaria's side, Prime Minister Boiko Borissov has promissed the Government's support for organising the match and was even made chairperson of the organisational committee.

Topalov and Anand will play 12 matches for the title. In case of a draw the winner will be decided in a tie-break of four rapid games.

Garvinator
02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
FIDE Press Release / Thursday, 01 October 2009, 13:35

World Championship Match GM V. Anand – GM V. Topalov

When the deadline expired for bids for the World Championship Match between GM V Anand (current World Champion) and GM V Topalov, three bids had been received at the FIDE Secretariat in Athens, Greece from Bulgaria, Singapore and Turkey.

These bids were opened in the presence of the FIDE Deputy President, Georgios Makropoulos and the FIDE Executive Director, David Jarrett.

Under the terms of the bidding procedure, the bids should have been accompanied by financial guarantees. As none of the bids provided such a guarantee, it has been decided that the bidders have until October 15th, the day before the opening of the FIDE Executive Board at Halkidiki, Greece, to meet this condition.

Garvinator
16-10-2009, 10:00 PM
From: http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2009/10/match-will-take-place-in-sofia.html

"The Match" will take place in Sofia

A unanimous vote was made at the 80th FIDE congress in Halkidiki, Greece. The Anand - Topalov world championship match will be held in Sofia, Bulgaria.

The prize funds will be 3 million euros gross, with 2 million euros net to the players, 20% to FIDE, and the rest for organizational expenses.

There is no exact date as far as I know for the match but it will be around April - May 2010.

Kevin Bonham
16-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Looking at the history it is actually not all that unusual for a match to occur in the nation of the challenger, although it seems veyr irregular to me. There has not before been a case where FIDE have sanctioned a match between an unequivocal world champion and an unequivocal challenger in the homeland of the latter but not the former, but they have had few opportunities to do so since so much of their rule over a unified title was Russia vs Russia.

Euwe's successful challenge against Alekhine in the pre-FIDE days was contested in Euwe's home nation.

ER
16-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Euwe's successful challenge against Alekhine in the pre-FIDE days was contested in Euwe's home nation.

What about the return match Kev?

For historical purposes I have to refer to the fact that my very dear friend and comrade in arms Mrs Marieke van Dijk whom I only see in interstate events these days, was Dr Euwe's student, and the actual first match took place either in or not far from the School she was attending then.
Mrs van Dijk was until 2-3 years ago a very popular personality and committee member (correct me if I am wrong here) of the Box Hill Chess Club, has made donations to the Club, but nowadays she plays for Ranges Chess Club offering her invaluable services to their growing Chess Community!:clap:

Kevin Bonham
16-10-2009, 11:29 PM
What about the return match Kev?

That was also contested in Euwe's home nation.

By the way the Alekhine-Euwe match took place in a total of 23 different venues and 13 different cities and the return match also moved about the Netherlands considerably.

Garvinator
16-10-2009, 11:34 PM

By the way the Alekhine-Euwe match took place in a total of 23 different venues and 13 different cities and the return match also moved about the Netherlands considerably.
While the match was held in the Netherlands, considering the two matches were held in 1935 and 1937, they may have been very difficult to stage in Germany, considering the times.

Kevin Bonham
16-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Another match held on the challenger's home turf was the Lasker-Marshall wipeout.

ER
16-10-2009, 11:52 PM
How Lasker managed to win that Berlin Defence Lopez with Black pieces and doubled Pawns is beyond me! How is Lasker rated as an endgame player vs Capa, Rubinstein etc? Is it worth to study his endgames? On the other hand was Marshall ever World Championship material?
I know this is out of the scope of the thread but I coulnd't resist it!

Tony Dowden
17-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Money talks - especially lots of it - as FIDE have just (unanimously) accepted Sofia, Bulgaria to host the World Championship. If the event goes ahead on the 'neutral' venue of Sofia (we are assured by the Bulgarian President that neutrality is guaranteed!), then there can't be too many cases of a World Champion agreeing to play in the Challenger's country - unless, in the case of the Soviet era, they come from the same country.

It most cases its hard to imagine a World Champion willingly playing in the challenger's country. Try Fischer-Karpov in Moscow :eek: or Kramnik-Topalov in Sofia :lol: (Maybe Karpov-Korchnoi somewhere in Switzerland works though, because Merano, Italy was just next door).

Anand is notably affable and pleasant - something that didn't help Spassky much in his match against Fischer in '72 - but agreeing to play in Sofia concededs a disadvantage before the match starts. In his shoes I would be expecting a very healthy appearance fee built into the prizemoney structure.

Garvinator
17-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Anand is notably affable and pleasant - something that didn't help Spassky much in his match against Fischer in '72 - but agreeing to play in Sofia concededs a disadvantage before the match starts. In his shoes I would be expecting a very healthy appearance fee built into the prizemoney structure.
There was no agreement to play in Sofia. Bids were opened long ago and Bulgaria was the only country that offered a tender with financial guarantees actually paid and this was even after the first deadline expired with no correct bids.

This has all be articulated in previous posts in this thread.

India had a clear opportunity to put in a fully compliant bid and they could not do so. For a country that is supposed to be so in love with chess and money supposedly easily available, to not be able to organise a decent bid is pretty poor in my opinion.

With sufficient planning, they could have organised it around the Commonwealth Games to cut down on organising costs.

Garvinator
17-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Bulgarian capital to host Anand-Topalov WCC Gamehttp://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/chess/top-stories/Bulgarian-capital-to-host-Anand-Topalov-WCC-Game/articleshow/5132912.cms

The world chess federation (FIDE) in its congress at Halkididki (Greece) on Friday allotted the match to Sofia as the Bulgarian city had no competition at all.

Surprisingly, India had not submitted its bid as planned. In the Congress it was revealed that Singapore and Turkey were the only other bids to host the match, but the three-million euro bid (Rs 20 crore) of Sofia was too big.

In fact, both the bids were withdrawn once they knew the Bulgarian offer. All India Chess Federation secretary DV Sundar had indicated that India would probably bid for the match if it got enough corporate support.

Sofia, backed by the Bulgarian government, assured to give three million euros for prize, organisational costs and FIDE fees (20 per cent of prize fund).

The world championship, scheduled for April 5 to 24, 2010, will have 12 games with classical time control.

Tony Dowden
17-10-2009, 07:04 PM
... This has all be articulated in previous posts in this thread ...

Er, yes ... thanks for pointing it out :)

I missed it of course.

Tony Dowden
17-10-2009, 07:08 PM

Amazing, fancy that! Sounds like a travelling circus :lol:

Hard to imagine these days.

Denis_Jessop
17-10-2009, 07:47 PM
While the match was held in the Netherlands, considering the two matches were held in 1935 and 1937, they may have been very difficult to stage in Germany, considering the times.

Why Germany? Alekhine was living in France.

DJ

ER
18-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Why Germany? Alekhine was living in France.

DJ

In ... anticipation you know! ;)

littlesprout85
18-10-2009, 06:46 PM
holy salami, lets just ring inz a say that Anands is on an up turn as of late and has the wind in ems sails. Topalov has the wisdom here for this match. The answer is to which one of em keeps the rust off & practices more. You think for that many euro's it be worth the study time :eek:

-Sprout85 =)

Capablanca-Fan
20-10-2009, 01:08 PM

AVRO 1938 also moved everyone all over the Dutch map, which was especially hard on the older players Capablanca and Alekhin.

Capablanca-Fan
20-10-2009, 01:33 PM
How Lasker managed to win that Berlin Defence Lopez with Black pieces and doubled Pawns is beyond me! How is Lasker rated as an endgame player vs Capa, Rubinstein etc? Is it worth to study his endgames? On the other hand was Marshall ever World Championship material?
I know this is out of the scope of the thread but I coulnd't resist it!
You mean this game (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1094674)? Yes, Lasker was a superb endgame player, although not quite so well known for it. He even won classic endgames against the abovementioned Rubinstein in 1914 (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1119764)and 1925 (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1100022), and Capa (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1258181), as well as against the endgame theoretician Chekhover (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1100022).

Marshall was easily in the top 10 in the world from about 1900 to 1927 (consider 4th in Paris 1900 beating Lasker in their individual game; winner Cambridge Springs 1904 two points ahead of Lasker; one of the five finalists in the strong St Petersburg 1914 (Rubinstein and Nimzovich missed out); 4th in NY 1924 behind only Lasker, Capa and Alekhine and ahead of Réti, Tartakover, Bogolyubov, Maróczy, etc.; 4th in Moscow 1925 behind Bogolyobov, Lasker, Capa and ahead of Tartakower, Réti and Spielmann among others). He was well known for his tactical sharpness and not so well known for being an excellent endgame player himself, behind only the greats above.

ER
20-10-2009, 01:40 PM
You mean this game (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1094674)? Yes, Lasker was a superb endgame player, although not quite so well known for it. He even won classic endgames against the abovementioned Rubinstein in 1914 (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1119764)and 1925 (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1100022), and Capa (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1258181), as well as against the endgame theoretician Chekhover (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1100022).

Marshall was easily in the top 10 in the world from about 1900 to 1927 (consider 4th in Paris 1900 beating Lasker in their individual game, winner Cambridge Springs 1904 two points ahead of Lasker, one of the five finalists in the strong St Petersburg 1914, 4th in NY 1924 behind only Lasker, Capa and Alekhine, 5th in Moscow 1925). He was well known for his tactical sharpness and not so well known for being an excellent endgame player himself, behind only the greats above.

Yes Jono, that's the game I was talking about and thanks for all this fantastic information which I included in its entirety in the quotation!
I was wrongly under the impression that the greatest offering to Chess by Marshall was his Spanish (Ruy Lopez) Variation and his fiendish traps. I didn't know that he was a player of such a high quality and in particular his placement amongst the World's Ten Best for such a long period of time!
Thanks again!

Garvinator
20-10-2009, 04:05 PM
There was no agreement to play in Sofia. Bids were opened long ago and Bulgaria was the only country that offered a tender with financial guarantees actually paid and this was even after the first deadline expired with no correct bids.
This quoted post above is wrong. The money has not been transferred. http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5847

Republic of Bulgaria
The Prime Minister

Sofia, 12 October 2009

Dear Mr. President, dear delegates,

Unfortunately, attributable to the technical reasons, we cannot present the bank guarantee for the organization of WCC match Topalov-Anand in April 2010.

However, I kindly request that this letter be treated as an official guarantee for our presentation for the bid. In case that our bid is approved, I personally guarantee the budget of three million euro for the match and we will be ready to transfer the money and to sign the contract with FIDE in two months from now, not later than 10 December of this year.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Best regards,

BOYKO BORISSOV
Chairman Organizing Committee WCC match Topalov-Anand

To

The 80th FIDE Congress
Halkidiki, Greece, October 15-17th 2009

cc: Mr. Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, FIDE President