PDA

View Full Version : Computational Knowledge Engine

Rincewind
18-05-2009, 09:40 AM
www.wolframalpha.com

Works for some things and not others. Don't expect it to know much about chess. I tried

"solve eight queens problem"

and got the reply

"there are less than eight queens in a deck of cards".

:lol:

bergil
18-05-2009, 09:46 AM
www.wolframalpha.com

Works for some things and not others. Don't expect it to know much about chess. I tried

"solve eight queens problem"

and got the reply

"there are less than eight queens in a deck of cards".

:lol:Not in some decks I've seen. :wall:

Ian Rout
18-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Quite humorous to read this example along with the news article quoting the Wolfram spin doctor meowing that "Google searches are really dumb. They're using simple words without knowing what they mean." Well it's early days, maybe the next version will be better. At least it didn't respond with the address of a gay brothel.

Kevin Bonham
18-05-2009, 03:42 PM
I tried entering in "1.e4 c5" and got a nice graph of the equation y=10,000*c^5, including derivative and integral.

pappubahry
18-05-2009, 04:45 PM
It taught me something about Australia and cricket that I didn't previously know (http://www06.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=australia+cricket), which surprised me.

Hobbes
18-05-2009, 05:03 PM
I am struggling to get any response except "Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input".

Denis_Jessop
18-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I just put in "chess" referring to a general topic and received the response

Additional functionality for this topic is under development...

with an invitation to leave my e-mail addresss so that they can tell me when they have something on it. The problem is that the only sports and games they so far cover seem to be US Major League Baseball, US NFL Football, lotteries and card games. That explains the interesting reference to Cricket.

DJ

Basil
18-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I entered:
"Understanding Axiom"

WA replied:
"Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input"

I replied:
"Dude, don't sweat it, we understand" :lol:

ER
18-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I tried entering in "1.e4 c5" and got a nice graph of the equation y=10,000*c^5, including derivative and integral.
Try 1.e4 e6 next time! :P
I got

integral 10000. e^6 de = 1428.57 e^7+constant
plus
a dunny looking parabolic graph
root where e=0
Δ = 0
min {10000. e^6} = 0 at e = 0
with output
{0., {e -> 0.}}

Rincewind
18-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Try 1.e4 e6 next time! :P
I got

integral 10000. e^6 de = 1428.57 e^7+constant
plus
a dunny looking parabolic graph
root where e=0
Δ = 0
min {10000. e^6} = 0 at e = 0
with output
{0., {e -> 0.}}

Unsurprisingly the maths side is pretty strong (Wolfram produce a widely used maths package called Mathematica). For example type

"integrate exp(-x^2) from 0 to infinity"

and it knows exactly what you're talking about and give the the exact and approximate decimal answer.

Google with the same input links to a much of pages where people work through the answer but they need to be sifted through and may not give you the answer in the form you were expecting

(see for example http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-30928.html )

Ian Rout
18-05-2009, 08:34 PM
I thought the problem might be that Wolfram is optimised for important questions. We all know what the Sicilian Defence is so it's not much help telling us.

To test this I instead asked what is Black's best line in the Open Sicilian. It didn't understand. Then I asked it what tomorrow's Oz Lotto numbers will be and it was equally confused. Finally it invalidated my hypothesis by finding an actor born on the same day as me.

Oepty
18-05-2009, 08:54 PM
It is left wing biased, it know who Kevin Rudd, Paul Keating and Bob Hawke are but not John Howard.
Scott

Adamski
18-05-2009, 09:11 PM
It taught me something about Australia and cricket that I didn't previously know (http://www06.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=australia+cricket), which surprised me.The distance from Australia to Cricket is 16,645 KM! LOL!

Miranda
18-05-2009, 09:13 PM
It appears to be just like a calculator, rather than a search engine...

Denis_Jessop
19-05-2009, 12:46 PM

It depends what category you choose. I could get it to give me details about Canberra including the current time and weather. Then, because of its knowledge about a tiny US town called Cricket, I asked it about Queanbeyan, which is bigger, and it gave me info about it too. But it was stumped by both White Cliffs and Wilcannia. :)

DJ

Basil
19-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Because it isn't a search engine (http://www06.wolframalpha.com/faqs.html).