PDA

View Full Version : Exachess (Apple Mac)

sleepless
02-05-2009, 10:04 AM
I've been a fan of the easy to use database and analysis features of Exachess for quite a while. The latest version allows you to use engines like Hiarcs/Shredder etc and is well worth a look even if you run Fritz/Chessbase on the PC side of your computer. It's available at http://www.exachess.com/

Denis_Jessop
02-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I've been a fan of the easy to use database and analysis features of Exachess for quite a while. The latest version allows you to use engines like Hiarcs/Shredder etc and is well worth a look even if you run Fritz/Chessbase on the PC side of your computer. It's available at http://www.exachess.com/

I have only ExaChess Lite but I have Sigma Chess plus HiArcs in the latest version. I haven't used either very much but I don't use Fritz or ChessBase much either. I rather prefer the appearance of Sigma chess. Have you used it and been able to compare the two? I also find Vektor 3 to be good for reading pgn files though it makes silly noises of pieces moving etc and I can't see how to turn them off :( .

DJ

sleepless
03-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I have Sigma Chess as well and I use that to teach beginners on an Interactive White Board (IWB) at school. It looks really good, combines well with Hiarcs and it's easy to set up a position.
I think Sigma have made a mistake in not sourcing a professional to do their help files. Analysis features don't seem to be as intuitive to use as other mainstream programs. I just wish it would let you explore variations or annotate easily on the board you start with. With Exachess it all seems immediately obvious.

Denis_Jessop
03-05-2009, 05:41 PM
I have Sigma Chess as well and I use that to teach beginners on an Interactive White Board (IWB) at school. It looks really good, combines well with Hiarcs and it's easy to set up a position.
I think Sigma have made a mistake in not sourcing a professional to do their help files. Analysis features don't seem to be as intuitive to use as other mainstream programs. I just wish it would let you explore variations or annotate easily on the board you start with. With Exachess it all seems immediately obvious.

Thanks for the info. :)

DJ