PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Championships 2004

ursogr8
18-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Victorian Championships 2004

Enries close Friday August 13
Games begin August 21.

Details are available in a beautiful brochure which will probably become a collector's item. The Photo on the front sheet is taken at the marvellous new Federation Square site, and on the back cover, the display on the huge outside digital screen is a game in progress from last years Championship.
Inside the brochure is a coloured shot of the honour board that apparently strained relations 6 months back; but now should be seen for the treasure that it is. GM Darryl Johansen features with other photos of various participants from last year.

Now here is the best part (except for the quality of the brochure of course); the Championships are played over 4 different venues. Back in the 70's we used to call this a progressive banquet, when schools had such dinners as fund-raisers. (Do they still occur?)

There will be a recognition prize for the first to post on this board the name of the four venues to be used for this years Victorian Championships.

Finally, can anyone from CV please update us here with plans and progress of the event now that you have made such a fantastic start to advertising the event.

starter

Garvinator
18-07-2004, 04:21 PM
There will be a recognition prize for the first to post on this board the name of the four venues to be used for this years Victorian Championships.
what is the prize cause i think i just won it :D
elwood, box hill, mcc and federation square in that order.

ursogr8
18-07-2004, 04:27 PM
what is the prize cause i think i just won it :D
elwood, box hill, mcc and federation square in that order.

ray'ray'

How good are you mate?
You must have been parked on the BB just waiting for the question.

Well the prize is, as stated in the original post, we recognise you as the winner. Well done.

But you got the order part wrong. Do you want one more try. Hint. You will only need one.

starter

Garvinator
18-07-2004, 04:44 PM
But you got the order part wrong. Do you want one more try. Hint. You will only need one. i dont need another try unless the cv site is incorrect. http://www.chessvictoria.com/Co04_VC_0(4).htm yes that addy is correct, surprised it does come up with the blue link

Edit (Jeo): You need to put it in URL tags when it has odd characters.

http://www.chessvictoria.com/Co04_VC_0(4).htm

eclectic
18-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Finally, can anyone from CV please update us here with plans and progress of the event now that you have made such a fantastic start to advertising the event.

starter

starter,

don't you sense a possible symbiosis between chesschat.org and another well known? "chesschat" ?

information is at its most reliable when gathered at the source.

unless of course dissemination of such information has been duly delegated via the trickle down effect

;) :whistle:

eclectic

ursogr8
18-07-2004, 08:19 PM
starter,

don't you sense a possible symbiosis between chesschat.org and another well known? "chesschat" ?

information is at its most reliable when gathered at the source.

unless of course dissemination of such information has been duly delegated via the trickle down effect

;) :whistle:

eclectic

eclectic

You must either be a Victorian or have a copy of the brochure, to make that chesschat link. So, at least I understand that one of your sentences.

Now the second sentence has got me thinking. If 'eclectic = GW' then this would be the equivalent of patting ones own back. Out of character for both. I will have to ruminate on that one. Of course I agree that it is true for some only; you don't have to be a guru to see that.

The third sentence is a big mystery. Who has been delegated? Not me; my role is the 'official leak'. And leaks don't go trickling down do they?

starter

ursogr8
18-07-2004, 08:24 PM
i dont need another try unless the cv site is incorrect. http://www.chessvictoria.com/Co04_VC_0(4).htm yes that addy is correct, surprised it does come up with the blue link

Edit (Jeo): You need to put it in URL tags when it has odd characters.

http://www.chessvictoria.com/Co04_VC_0(4).htm

GG""

You do need another try mate. Just like you did in State-of-Origin.
I have had a look at the site since you gave us the link......and in style it could only be maintained by one person. Where are you reading the order?

starter

Garvinator
18-07-2004, 08:52 PM
GG""

You do need another try mate. Just like you did in State-of-Origin.
I have had a look at the site since you gave us the link......and in style it could only be maintained by one person. Where are you reading the order?

starter
part way down, i see deadlines and then competition starting with elwood opening ceremony and first round optional session at elwood starting at 1pm

Garvinator
20-07-2004, 04:39 PM
part way down, i see deadlines and then competition starting with elwood opening ceremony and first round optional session at elwood starting at 1pm
does starter have an answer to this?

ursogr8
20-07-2004, 05:14 PM
does starter have an answer to this?

Well yes gg'', I do have a response, now that you have poked me. Your post #8 was a bit wide of the mark, but on first reading I decided not to embarass you by doing a Bill.

But if you must...then let me ask this first............what do you mean by order.

starter

Garvinator
20-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Well yes gg'', I do have a response, now that you have poked me. Your post #8 was a bit wide of the mark, but on first reading I decided not to embarass you by doing a Bill.

But if you must...then let me ask this first............what do you mean by order.

starter
now lets not try for a pedantmaster norm starter :P clearly the order would be the order that the site lists for play. So to me that would be the 1st optional playing session, then the 2nd playing session and so on and so forth, until the fourth playing venue appears.

You asked for the venues and i added the order of the venues.

ursogr8
21-07-2004, 08:11 AM
now lets not try for a pedantmaster norm starter :P clearly the order would be the order that the site lists for play. So to me that would be the 1st optional playing session, then the 2nd playing session and so on and so forth, until the fourth playing venue appears.

You asked for the venues and i added the order of the venues.

So gg'' you have been selective to choose the first 4 venues. What about the next 4 rounds, or the last 4 rounds? Is it not reasonable that if the 'order' is dependent on the selection, then there is in fact no repetitive order?

starter

Garvinator
21-07-2004, 09:41 AM
So gg'' you have been selective to choose the first 4 venues. What about the next 4 rounds, or the last 4 rounds? Is it not reasonable that if the 'order' is dependent on the selection, then there is in fact no repetitive order?

starter
i actually chose the 4 venues in the order they appeared. it just happens that it was the first, second, third and last rounds that the venues appear.

DoroPhil
21-07-2004, 02:32 PM
1. The correct order is: elwood, followed by mcc, then box hill and, finally federation square.
2. Gray is stupid.
3. Starter, do I get a prize/ mention for guessing the right order?

ursogr8
21-07-2004, 02:47 PM
1. The correct order is: elwood, followed by mcc, then box hill and, finally federation square.
2. Gray is stupid.
3. Starter, do I get a prize/ mention for guessing the right order?

Well, actually, Phil O'Dor, I don't think there is any order that is consistent through the tournament. That was the genesis of my orginal response back to GG. The VIC Championships is famous (maybe notorious) in Victoria in that it jumps around 4 venues, evening after evening, round after round. One needs a roadmap to navigate to the next venue.
Added complexity is that entrants can elect to play at some venues and not at others. Confused? Well most of the entrants are by the end of the tourney.

It all makes sense only if you have the wonderful coloured brochure that is produced for the event.

This Championship is the annual event that Chris de Pasquale wrote a memorable newspaper column on about 10 years back. The column focussed on the trials and tribulations of a qualifier from a previous year who tries to enter the Championship in the next year. It would be just terrific if a poster could somehow get it reproduced (or linked) here. Now there is a challenge for the forensic historians. :hmm:

starter

arosar
21-07-2004, 02:49 PM
2. Gray is stupid.

Maybe just pretending to be stupid to get his post-count up. Let's help him out a bit.

arosar
21-07-2004, 02:50 PM
No, gray...you're wrong!

AR

ursogr8
21-07-2004, 02:55 PM
No, gray...you're wrong!

AR

Amiel, GG
You guys are posting co-incidentally with me.
Don't miss my post #15

starter

Garvinator
21-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Competition

Aug 21 Sat 12:50 pm Elwood Opening 1:00 pm Optional Session 1

24 Tue 7:30 pm Box Hill Optional Session 2

26 Thu 7:30 pm Melbourne Optional Session 3

28 Sat 1:00 pm Elwood Optional Session 4

31 Tue 7:30 pm Box Hill Optional Session 5

Sep 2 Thu 7:30 pm Melbourne Optional Session 6

4 Sat 1:00 pm Elwood Optional Session 7

7 Tue 7:30 pm Box Hill Optional Session 8

9 Thu 7:30 pm Melbourne Optional Session 9

14 Tue 7:30 pm Box Hill Optional Session 10

16 Thu 7:30 pm Melbourne Optional Session 11

18 Sat 1:00 pm Elwood Optional Session 12

21 Tue 7:30 pm Box Hill Optional Session 13

23 Thu 7:30 pm Melbourne Optional Session 14

25 Sat 1:00 pm Elwood Optional Session 15

28 Tue 7:30 pm Box Hill Optional Session 16

Oct 3 Sun 1:30 pm Federation Square Final Round & Prizegiving

this is a copy of the competition schedule copied straight from the cv website on the regulations governing the 2004 victorian championships.

Bill Gletsos
21-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Doesnt AR's post show the same order as GG suggested and not DoroPhils order.
Also as starter noted there appears to be no consistent order throughout the event.

As such if gg is stupid in this instance then so are dorophil and AR.
However I would be more inclined to suggest they are all semi right and semi wrong with no stupidity evident.

arosar
21-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Bill, close your mouth. No one wants you here. Your boy doesn't need you.

AR

Garvinator
21-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Doesnt AR's post show the same order as GG suggested and not DoroPhils order.
Also as starter noted there appears to be no consistent order throughout the event.

As such if gg is stupid in this instance then so are dorophil and AR.
However I would be more inclined to suggest they are all semi right and semi wrong with no stupidity evident.
actually bill i will disagree with you here. The order of the venues for the victorian championships is clear according the cv regulations. Where the players choose to play is their choice. It goes from Elwood to Box Hill then on to Melbourne and the final round is at Federation Square.

Bill Gletsos
21-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Bill, close your mouth. No one wants you here. Your boy doesn't need you.
Well I was simply making an observation.
An observation you could have made if you had checked your facts.
However your post now has me considering if I should change my assessment of you in the previous post.

arosar
21-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Look at him. He's starting a schit fight again. Can't help himself this bas.tard!!

Watch everybody....here we go. Bill Gletsos on the lose. At least your in theme though. Never wanna come from behind.

AR

Bill Gletsos
21-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Look at him. He's starting a schit fight again. Can't help himself this bas.tard!!

Watch everybody....here we go. Bill Gletsos on the lose. At least your in theme though. Never wanna come from behind.
Actually AR the only one starting something here is you.
You will note I suggested that if dorophil was correct in calling gg stupid then so was he and you were also.
However I made it clear I did not believe any of you were stupid, just partly right and partly wrong.

Bill Gletsos
21-07-2004, 03:19 PM
actually bill i will disagree with you here. The order of the venues for the victorian championships is clear according the cv regulations. Where the players choose to play is their choice. It goes from Elwood to Box Hill then on to Melbourne and the final round is at Federation Square.
Oh I understand how you got your order, I was just wondering if your answer however was what starter was actually looking for.

Garvinator
21-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Oh I understand how you got your order, I was just wondering if your answer however was what starter was actually looking for.
well starter actually only asked for the name of the venues, i threw the order in for free :wall: :doh:

arosar
21-07-2004, 03:30 PM
:wall: :doh:

It amazes me that you've been bangin' your head on that wall so long that you're actually still postin'. But maybe that's why you keep whistlin' dixie half the bloody time.

AR

Garvinator
21-07-2004, 03:32 PM
It amazes me that you've been bangin' your head on that wall so long that you're actually still postin'. But maybe that's why you keep whistlin' dixie half the bloody time.

AR
now that your posting here and ruining starter and my debate, ill stop :hand:

arosar
21-07-2004, 03:38 PM
. . . ill stop :hand:

Sooner or later someone will lop off that hand of yours.

But honestly dude, it sooo girlie to do that hand thing you know. It's so like, Alicia Silverstone, you know. It's like whatever!

AR

ursogr8
21-07-2004, 03:45 PM
...... :rolleyes:
AR......

Guys
All

If you have got energy to burn......go to post #15 and track down the de Pasquale item. It is a read worth resurrecting. May even be in his book
'My 60 memorable columns'
if you have a copy.

starter

ursogr8
21-07-2004, 03:50 PM

Order! Order!

There is no order. That was the point of my post back to GG''.
The b.loody tournament wanders all over the metro. area like Brown's cows. Only Gazza can understand who plays what where. And maybe that is why he constructs it like he does.

starter

Garvinator
21-07-2004, 03:58 PM
There is no order.

my previous post:

The order of the venues for the victorian championships is clear according the cv regulations. Where the players choose to play is their choice. It goes from Elwood to Box Hill then on to Melbourne and the final round is at Federation Square.

I think there is an order to the vic champs.

Kevin Bonham
21-07-2004, 07:17 PM
This Championship is the annual event that Chris de Pasquale wrote a memorable newspaper column on about 10 years back. The column focussed on the trials and tribulations of a qualifier from a previous year who tries to enter the Championship in the next year. It would be just terrific if a poster could somehow get it reproduced (or linked) here.

"The Rook by Franz Kafka" appeared in the July 1998 issue of Australian Chess Forum with no indication that it had been previously published elsewhere. Is this the one you are referring to?

ursogr8
21-07-2004, 08:57 PM
"The Rook by Franz Kafka" appeared in the July 1998 issue of Australian Chess Forum with no indication that it had been previously published elsewhere. Is this the one you are referring to?

Could be, Kevin
The article, as I said in an earlier post, is about a qualifier who fronts the tournament organiser at the start of a tournament, only to learn that there are problems with the qualifiers entry. Downhill all the way from there. Very humourous.
Does this sound like the one?
My ACF's only go back to Nov/Dec 1998.

starter

ursogr8
21-07-2004, 09:09 PM
my previous post:

I think there is an order to the vic champs.

Sometimes raggy' I think you hit the SUBMIT REPLY button like a robotic poker-machine-player hoping to get a pay-out. And other times I think you are just adding to your post-count. :P
This time you are just being plain repetitive.
Enter the tournament; play remote (they have DGT boards); and then tell me at the end if you haven't been all around Melbourne, haphazardly.

starter

Garvinator
21-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Enter the tournament; play remote (they have DGT boards); and then tell me at the end if you haven't been all around Melbourne, haphazardly.
are you saying i would be playing from up here on the net, or otb down there in melbourne?

If it is the latter, i will get enough travels around melbourne seeing Gary Bekker and also getting the dgt boards for buller.

ursogr8
21-07-2004, 09:26 PM
are you saying i would be playing from up here on the net, or otb down there in melbourne?

If it is the latter, i will get enough travels around melbourne seeing Gary Bekker and also getting the dgt boards for buller.

Well gg'', I have to admit to being a bit tongue-in-cheek about you playing remote. Now, Gazza Wastell probably would not like his picture-perfect plans upset by admitting remotees; but Gazza Bekker would be a very willing accomplice as he wants to demonstrate the concept for FIDE. Thus, I leave it to you to negotiate with the Mexicans.
But, if it is any help, one of the four venues...Box Hill....., has demonstrated the capability to broadcast from DGT. And I think MCC is about to.

starter

Garvinator
21-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Well gg'', I have to admit to being a bit tongue-in-cheek about you playing remote. Now, Gazza Wastell probably would not like his picture-perfect plans upset by admitting remotees; but Gazza Bekker would be a very willing accomplice as he wants to demonstrate the concept for FIDE. Thus, I leave it to you to negotiate with the Mexicans.
But, if it is any help, one of the four venues...Box Hill....., has demonstrated the capability to broadcast from DGT. And I think MCC is about to.

starter
i am curious about more details regarding playing remote actually. I have looked the vic champs site and i dont seem to qualify except perhaps under special considerations. But it doesnt say what can qualify for special consideration :hmm:

Kevin Bonham
21-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Could be, Kevin
The article, as I said in an earlier post, is about a qualifier who fronts the tournament organiser at the start of a tournament, only to learn that there are problems with the qualifiers entry. Downhill all the way from there. Very humourous.
Does this sound like the one?

Found it!

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/therook.txt

The ACF version also carried a disclaimer which read:

Author's note: This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination, or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons living or dead, is entirely coincidental. Any person, living or dead, who believes any of the characters resembles them in any way, should seek therapy immediately.

eclectic
22-07-2004, 05:29 AM
Sometimes raggy' I think you hit the SUBMIT REPLY button like a robotic poker-machine-player hoping to get a pay-out. And other times I think you are just adding to your post-count. :P
This time you are just being plain repetitive.

starter

wasn't the idea of playing "remote" the subject of another long, long ago thread?

couldn't it stay there?

or is starter wanting to change the tone of this thread from "order" to "chaos"?

eclectic

ursogr8
22-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Found it!

Author's note: This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination, or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons living or dead, is entirely coincidental. Any person, living or dead, who believes any of the characters resembles them in any way, should seek therapy immediately.

KB
Yes! Yes! Yes!
This is the article by Chris de Pasquale.
Thank you.

All

The link quoted by Kevin is a highly recommmended read. Get yourself a cup of coffee or whatever, settle back and read a 5 star chess piece.

starter

ps Of particular relevance in the first paragrah of the article is the likeness of the VIC Championship to an orienteering event. Those who have followed this thread so far will surely smile at that reference.

ursogr8
22-07-2004, 08:34 AM
i am curious about more details regarding playing remote actually. I have looked the vic champs site and i dont seem to qualify except perhaps under special considerations. But it doesnt say what can qualify for special consideration :hmm:

gg''

There are nuances in the VICTORIAN Championship. One of them is that an individual has to qualify. (Read the C de Pasquale article...linked by Kevin; to better understand the importance of qualifying...in VIC. ;) )
But you could play in the lower ranking events. Perhaps.

starter

Garvinator
22-07-2004, 09:41 AM
wasn't the idea of playing "remote" the subject of another long, long ago thread?
couldn't it stay there?
or is starter wanting to change the tone of this thread from "order" to "chaos"?
eclectic
eclectic sir, the idea of playing remote was discussed as a way for Petra Blazkova to get her up to 20 acf normal rated games. As it turns out, this proved unnecessary.

Now I am willing to help Gary Bekker out as i think the idea has merit and is worth trying. Also as I am unlikely to win any major prizes, my entry will not affect prizes a whole lot. Also I am asking in relation to the vic champs 2004, this is the vic champs thread isnt it :uhoh: ;)

eclectic
22-07-2004, 10:40 AM
eclectic sir, the idea of playing remote was discussed as a way for Petra Blazkova to get her up to 20 acf normal rated games. As it turns out, this proved unnecessary.

Now I am willing to help Gary Bekker out as i think the idea has merit and is worth trying. Also as I am unlikely to win any major prizes, my entry will not affect prizes a whole lot. Also I am asking in relation to the vic champs 2004, this is the vic champs thread isnt it :uhoh: ;)

i thought the vic champs were for victorians ... unless you're a queenslander temporarily satisfying residency criteria eg david smerdon

the way i read it the format is confusing enough as it is without complicating it further

besides, i'm for strictly over the board encounters unless, a la fischer 1965, visa restrictions prevent actual attendance at the venue

eclectic

Garvinator
22-07-2004, 10:49 AM
besides, i'm for strictly over the board encounters unless, a la fischer 1965, visa restrictions prevent actual attendance at the venue

eclectic
well since im one of the organisers for mt buller 2, i would have thought my safety cant be guaranteed in vic ;)

ursogr8
22-07-2004, 12:31 PM
well since im one of the organisers for mt buller 2, i would have thought my safety cant be guaranteed in vic ;)

''yy

On the contrary, Victorians are particularly adept at understanding the difference in accountability for

> decision managers
>> decision makers
>>> decision implementers (i.e organisers).

YOU are safe in Melbourne; (sinister sky will be gone soon).

starter

ursogr8
31-07-2004, 10:53 AM

Enries close Friday August 13
Games begin August 21.

Details are available in a beautiful brochure which will probably become a collector's item. starter

Just a reminder that early bird entry fees are applicable if your payment is received by 6 August.
I noticed that David Hacche was considering his entry to the field last night. In terms of rating points; a GIVER or a RECEIVER?

starter

ursogr8
04-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Just a reminder that early bird entry fees are applicable if your payment is received by 6 August.

Can be paid this Friday night at Box Hill Chess Club.

starter

ursogr8
08-08-2004, 08:23 AM

Can be paid this Friday night at Box Hill Chess Club.

starter

Well, a goodly number took advantage of the early bird discount and we had many visitors presenting to Box Hill to pay their entry fee. A little foresight would have avoided the difficulties of not having enough change to break the large notes that everyone seems to carry. Perhaps the easiest foresight is to persuade Gazza not to set discounts that require gold coins as change for notes. :rolleyes:

Judging by the number of entries to date, many strong players have set their sights on this EVENT.

starter

ursogr8
16-08-2004, 09:50 PM
The first round pairings for the 2004 VICTORIAN Championships are due to be published tomorrow.

Those who have a copy of the commemorative brochure will be able to answer this trivia question >>

Darrel Johansen has won 6 out of 8 of the past Victorian Championships. Who are the two players to break his run of wins?

And for 2 points, which was the year of his first win?

starter

jeffrei
16-08-2004, 10:37 PM
1: Michael Gluzman (1997) and David Smerdon (2002).

2: 1978

ursogr8
17-08-2004, 07:48 AM
1: Michael Gluzman (1997) and David Smerdon (2002).

2: 1978

Full points to jeffrei.

And yes, you read correctly; DJ won the VIC Championship in
1978....ages ago.

eclectic
17-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Full points to jeffrei.

And yes, you read correctly; DJ won the VIC Championship in
1978....ages ago.

and now to the event almost at hand

[taking the liberty to adjust a certain something - ;) ]

@ 21/8 Date Event Starts ___??/?? Date We Get First Report ___ Day Differential = ??

:whistle:

eclectic

ursogr8
17-08-2004, 09:01 AM
and now to the event almost at hand

[taking the liberty to adjust a certain something - ;) ]

@ 21/8 Date Event Starts ___??/?? Date We Get First Report ___ Day Differential = ??

:whistle:

eclectic

:clap: Cute comment of yours.

Actually, there might not be many reports.
Gazza does not visit here.
The minute-taker never does.
fg7 says the lights are out.
GL has got busy at work and has resigned.
GH does not know how.

Could you do it? :uhoh:

starter

eclectic
17-08-2004, 02:00 PM
:clap: Cute comment of yours.

Actually, there might not be many reports.
Gazza does not visit here.
The minute-taker never does.
fg7 says the lights are out.
GL has got busy at work and has resigned.
GH does not know how.

Could you do it? :uhoh:

starter

sorry,

i am and will be nowhere near the action

eclectic

arosar
17-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Speaking of the Vic Ch, take a look at this blast from the past in the year 1947.

[Event "Vic Ch"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "1947.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Hanks, J.N.."]
[Black "Oliver, L.L."]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "E32"]
[PlyCount "57"]
[EventDate "1947.??.??"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. Qc2 O-O 5. e4 Nc6 6. e5 Ne8 7. Be3 b6 8. Bd3 f5 9. Nge2 Bb7 10. a3 Bxc3+ 11. bxc3 d6 12. f4 Ne7 13. Rg1 Ng6 14. O-O-O Qe7 15. g4 dxe5 16. fxe5 Qxa3+ 17. Kd2 Nh4 18. Rdf1 Nf3+ 19. Rxf3 Bxf3 20. gxf5 exf5 21. Nf4 Nd6 22. exd6 Qxd6 23. Bxf5 Qh6 24. Be6+ Kh8 25. Ng6+ Qxg6 26. Rxg6 hxg6 27. Qxg6 Rf6 28. Qg3 Rxe6 29. Qh3+ 1-0

AR

firegoat7
17-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Hi,

I was hoping somebody like starter may be able to inform us of the fields for the events.

Cheers FG7

eclectic
18-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Hi,

I was hoping somebody like starter may be able to inform us of the fields for the events.

Cheers FG7

hi FG7

amazingly they're up at the CV site

:rolleyes:

eclectic

ursogr8
19-08-2004, 08:20 AM
hi FG7

amazingly they're up at the CV site

:rolleyes:

eclectic

And so they are eclectic.
I think it calls for more than your :rolleyes: ; I think a :eek: followed by a :clap: , and then a :cool: reaction was appropriate for this outbreak of communication.

starter

ps I wonder if fg7 can bring himself to applaud?

ursogr8
14-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Hi,

Cheers FG7

Even better firegoat; I can add to your nascent collection of mobile phone forfeits. Remember the first one that is recorded on the VIC Interclub thread? And who will forget jeffrei's wonderful observation about how some-one 1000km away can cause a forfeit?

To add to the collection we now have a recent occurrence from the current Victorian Championship.
First we set the scene. Our technophobe draws the arbiters attention to an error on his opponents scoresheet in that he has written Qe8 when Qd8 was actually played. He asks for it to be corrected. The Arbiter waits for the opponent to complete the next move, then saunters over first to check the infraction, and then politely to ask for a correction. No probs says the opponent, and scribbles a correction. (Btw I personally checked the technophobe's hand-writing in a later game tonight; let me tell you...it was hard to read).
The game continues when our technophobe returns to the room (MCC venue) after a smoko outside. He faces a tough position which requires at least 18 minutes of thought. He may have required more but his mobile rings at that mark. Two symptons could have given him away; the red-face behind the white-framed sunglasses, or the hand fumbling in his pocket to switch the d.amn thing off. But he gets away with it because the Arbiter is on the far side of the room and cannot immediately see the culprit. Whew. "I need another smoke thinks our mobile-phone holder". He gets half way to the door and no prize for guessing what happened next >> his mobile rings again.

Only one question remains. Does he go down 1-0 or 2-0?

starter

ps Technophobe is probably the wrong word or tense. What is the correct term for some-one who is about to dislike technology in the near future.

ursogr8
14-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Progressive scores in the 2004 Championship
Froehlich 3.5/5
Lojanica 1/5
dePasquale 2.5/5
Johansen 5/6
Stojic d 1.5/4
Dragicevic 4/5
Aghamalyan .5/4
Sandler 5/5
Skiotis 0/5
Hacche 3/6
Dizdarevic 2/6

Pairings 14 September
3v1, 2v9, 6v4, 11v5, 10v8,

starter

ursogr8
14-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Progressive scores in the 2004 Championship Reserves
Beattie 4, Belletty 2.5, Wertheim 1.5, Beaumont 1.5, Soesanto 2, Frost 3, Lin 3.5, Rikalo 1.5, Yachou 3, Matelan 2.5

eclectic
14-09-2004, 11:01 PM
ps Technophobe is probably the wrong word or tense. What is the correct term for some-one who is about to dislike technology in the near future.

technoveriturist

made that one up from

techno (greek)
+
veriturum esse = to be about to fear (latin)

;)

eclectic

Don't knock it starter if shakespeare could make up words by mixing latin and greek together then so can I !!

Mischa
15-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Can we have some reults from the qualifying events?

ursogr8
16-09-2004, 07:43 AM

Sure can.
They are available in the weekly bulletins that were handed to all participants last Tuesday night. I will post a summary tonight.

starter

ursogr8
16-09-2004, 08:13 PM

From Qualifier #1
+3 Morris, Vijayakumar
+2 Nikolaevsky
+1 Dour
-1 Beraup, Bekker, Omeragic
-2 Ivanov
-4 Chong

From Qualifier #2
+4 Schon
+3 Yap
-2 Spencer
-1 Glenton, Vijaykumar
-3 Glasson

From the RESERVES
+2 Beattie, Lin
+1 Frost, Yachou,
= Bellety, Matelan
-1 Beaumont, Soesanto
-2 Rikalo, Wertheim

All scores prior to the games on Tuesday this week.

Mischa
22-09-2004, 10:04 PM
thank you

ursogr8
29-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Progressive scores in the 2004 VICTORIANChampionship
Froehlich 6/9
Lojanica 3/9
dePasquale 5/9
Johansen 7.5/9
Stojic D 2.3/9
Dragicevic 5.5/9
Aghamalyan 4/9
Sandler 7/9
Skiotis 2.5/9
Hacche 3.5/9
Dizdarevic 3/9

Pairings 1st October........FINAL ROUND....Federation Square 1.30 pm start

The only one that matters for first prize is Sandler v Johansen.
Good luck to both.
Will be worth the visit to watch.

starter

Recherché
29-09-2004, 10:20 AM
It looks like being an exciting final round. Sandler will need to press for a win with white unless he's happy to settle for second. I'm looking forward to watching the game. :)

Starter:

Are you aware of any plans for a pre-tournament simul like that given by Denis Bourmistrov last year?

ursogr8
29-09-2004, 10:27 AM
It looks like being an exciting final round. Sandler will need to press for a win with white unless he's happy to settle for second. I'm looking forward to watching the game. :)

Starter:

Are you aware of any plans for a pre-tournament simul like that given by Denis Bourmistrov last year?

R

No knowlege by me.
Suggest you visit
http://www.chessvictoria.com/
find an e-mail link (GW reads frequently)
and ask.

starter

ursogr8
03-10-2004, 02:49 PM

Sandler starts e4 and Johansen chooses the French. The game and the player-cam are being beamed to the huge matrix screen at Federation square...and to a few other screens in the City. Six boards in total using DGT.

1 e4 e6; 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 Bb4 4 e5 Qd7 5 Qg4 f5 6 Qg3 b6 7 a3 Bc3 8 Qc3.

Starter:

Simul. started after 1.30 and Domagoij Dragicevic is to be dragooned I think.

starter

Recherché
03-10-2004, 11:06 PM
For those who weren't in attendance earlier today, here are the final standings (insofar as I can recall them) from the Victorian Championships:

1. GM Darryl Johansen (8/10)
2. IM Leonid Sandler (7.5/10)
3. IM Peter Froelich (6.5/10)
4. FM Chris Depasquale; Domagoj Dragicevic (6/10)

And the reserves:

1. David Beaumont (6.5/10)
2. Nur Yachou (6/10)

I'm not sure who grabbed third, but it may have been Roger Beattie (5/10).

Simul. started after 1.30 and Domagoij Dragicevic is to be dragooned I think.

Indeed. Very successful, I'd say; it drew quite a crowd. I had two very entertaining games against him myself. :)

Garvinator
03-10-2004, 11:14 PM
And the reserves:
1. David Beaumont (6.5/10)
well done to firegoat7, does this automatically qualify fg7 for the championship section next year?

Recherché
03-10-2004, 11:24 PM
does this automatically qualify fg7 for the championship section next year?

Yes, it does.

ursogr8
04-10-2004, 07:56 AM
well done to firegoat7, does this automatically qualify fg7 for the championship section next year?

gg''

I think you have to go back and read the article that Kevin located at ChessCafe...The Castle....written by Chris de Pasquale.
Could fg7 get a spot in a tourney run by..... .(see footnote)

starter

footnote