Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

FIDE Grand Prix in Nalchik

Fourth event in the now downgraded GP circuit (the GP circuit now qualifies two players to the eight player Candidates tournament) is to be held in Nalchik, Russia from 14-29 April. 14 April is just the opening ceremony so they probably play some chess late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning our time.

The eligible suspects are: Akopian (Armenia), Alekseev (Russia), Aronian (Armenia), Bacrot (France), Eljanov (Ukraine), Gelfand (Israel), Grischuk (Russia), Ivanchuk (Ukraine), Kamsky (USA), Karjakin (Ukraine), Kasimdzhanov (Uzbekistan), Leko (Hungary), Mamedyarov (Azerbaijan) and Svidler (Russia).

This will be Grischuk's fourth and final event of the six - if he does very well here he will have some chance of grabbing one of the two spots but I don't think an ordinary result will do.

Who will Shak accuse of cheating this tourney

Must start earlier at night than I realised (perhaps 9pm our time?) as most round 1 games are over as I type.

Including this one in which Mamedyarov just never seems to have much of a clue against Aronian:

PGN Viewer

Sac'ed two knights for a queen check. Would expect better from someone half his rating.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC International Master
    Not entirely on topic, except that it came to light during this event and not worth a whole thread unless anybody wants to discuss it at length. Chess Today reports that Sergey Karjakin is going to defect to Russia.

The report indicates that it isn't because of any sort of squabble in Ukraine, just for financial reasons. Unless it's an April 1st story that got held up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Sac'ed two knights for a queen check. Would expect better from someone half his rating.
    Shipov writes "Shakhriyar was unable to cope with his temper, imagination and creative mood." He also refers to the sacs as a product of being short on time.

Chessbase had a new kind of live game viewer up on their site yesterday but I can't find it there today.

Aronian is a very uncomfortable opponent for Shakh..
    Very silly loss!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Must start earlier at night than I realised (perhaps 9pm our time?) as most round 1 games are over as I type.
    The web site says the games start at 15.00 local time being GMT +3. Currently, according to my time calculating widget we in Eastern Aus are on GMT +9 so that makes the staring time 9.00pm our time if my maths are right. That should mean that rd 2 started almost 30 minutes ago. That looks pretty right as there are 7 games on line with about a dozen moves played in each.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Sigh. Another time trouble disaster for Ivanchuk losing an otherwise sharp game on move 29 against Svidler. I'm not sure his flag fell or if he managed to resign first. He was in the game on the board until the last half-dozen moves when terminal time trouble caused him to make too many mistakes.

PGN Viewer

Nice conversion in the endgame by Aronian against Akopian. Aronian 2/2.

PGN Viewer

Kamsky - Bacrot. The OCB ending with two pawns to nil is instructive. Sometimes these are won when pawns are so far separated but after 71...Be8! white's problems became clear. He has to keep the black king out of the a8-corner or black can simply sac the bishop for the g-pawn and draw. A sac of the bishop for the a-pawn loses, but white has no way to use his king to shepherd the a-pawn forwards without black being able to get his king into the corner. Therefore it is unwinnable.

PGN Viewer

Aronian 2/3. Lost quickly to Karjakin:

PGN Viewer

Kamsky lost a drawn KRB vs KR to Akopian in round five, including missing a fairly obvious stalemate trap save.

Ivanchuk, having a shocker, got done by Kasimdzhanov (0-1 in 25 moves!)

+2 Grischuk
    +1 Karjakin, Leko, Aronian, Alekseev
    = Kamsky, Kasimdzhanov, Bacrot, Svidler
    -1 Mamedyarov, Eljanov, Gelfand, Akopian
    -2 Ivanchuk

Aronian leads after round 6. Round 7 on now.

Game from last night. Akopian finishes off Karjakin by knighting a pawn (queening would have allowed a draw):

PGN Viewer

Karjakin-Kamsky round 7. Very messy Winawer but unfortunately Kamsky's poor clock handling gets him again - with only a few minutes for 14 moves he can't play accurately and eventually he runs out of time in a poor position.

It amazes me that these top-40 GMs can so often blow games by poor time management. Are the benefits of pushing the envelope really so great?

PGN Viewer

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    It amazes me that these top-40 GMs can so often blow games by poor time management. Are the benefits of pushing the envelope really so great?
    It does seem that it would be better if top tournaments used a 30 second increment from the start, instead of having 40 in 120 with no increment. Shame fide got rid of that option.

Thread Information