Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar

Melbourne Chess Club Endgame Group

Melbourne Chess Club Endgame Group

We welcome all players to join our group and discuss and learn endgames from both a theoretical and practical perspective. Interesting endgames from recent Grandmaster practice are examined and then players may try out the endgames themselves. Or members are invited to bring their own endgames in to be analysed.

Recent Endgames that have been discussed include:

Rook versus Knight, a theoretical draw though not as easy when put into a practical setting.

Queen versus Rook, a theoretical win but again, not so easy to implement in practice.

Rook and 4 pawns v Rook and 3 pawns on one wing, a drawing haven for a lot of players, but not as straightforward as you might think.

The group meets every second Wednesday, the next meeting being Wednesday 8th April 2008. Meeting time is 7.30pm at the Melbourne Chess Club.

Cost: Free to members of the Melbourne Chess Club
    $20 to non members for a year’s membership to the group.
    $5 for an occasional visitor’s fee for any who attend on a one off basis.
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

CC FIDE Master
    If I am not wrong, the endgame group is back on this Wednesday, so I encourage anyone to come and have a look.

CC Candidate Master
    Yeah will come check this out when i can sounds like fun
    “Every Chess master was once a beginner” (Chernev)

Damn that'd be great for me to join as I suck at endgames, but it's in the wrong state!
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alana
    Damn that'd be great for me to join as I suck at endgames, but it's in the wrong state!
    Yes, but in the right club!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

The Endgame Group has continued to meet every second Wednesday and now has a small core group of interested members. We welcome players of all strengths to the group to discuss endgames and to try to improve our endgame technique.

Next meeting, this Wednesday 20th May with a look at 2 endgame greats Rubinstein and Capablanca and whether either could have been said to have been the greater endgame player.

Another interesting night at the Endgame Group tonight, and welcome to Elliott Renzies at his first session.

A look at classic games of 2 of the all time greats, Rubinstein and Capablanca was followed by some practical experience trying to follow in the great Rubinstein's steps in his amazing victory against Matisons from Karlsbad 1929.

Event: Karlsbad
    Site: Karlsbad
    Date: 1929.08.04
    Round: 4
    White: Matisons, Hermanis
    Black: Rubinstein, Akiba
    Result: 0-1
    ECO: C68
    PlyCount: 76
    EventDate: 1929.07.31
    EventType: tourn
    EventRounds: 21
    EventCountry: CZE
    Source: ChessBase
    SourceDate: 1999.07.01

PGN Viewer

what a brilliant initiative!!!

Knowing Carl Gorka and the man's strive for excellence I was expecting quality!
    What I witnessed for first time tonight was amazing!
    The lecturer's approach in explaining the positions, underlying the concepts and encouraging participation by the audience was a new, rewarding and enjoyable experience!
    I was paired with Sarah for the practice which involved playing both colours in the main studied position. After enjoying her magnificent home made chocolate brownies I also enjoyed her sound endgame technique since she convincingly beat me with White as well as Black!
    Thank God during the game her mobile phone rang and I claimed the forfeit! Didn't help me much though!!!
    Looking forward to next Wednesday!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Looking forward to next Wednesday!
    Just to confirm, the Endgame Group meets every second Wednesday so the next meeting will be on :

Wednesday 3rd June 7.30pm

All levels of player are welcome, from complete novices to Grandmasters. And if you are a member of MCC it is free, if not it costs $20 for a year!!

Next meeting we will be looking at some great endgames of Rubinstein.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by fireeater
    Just to confirm, the Endgame Group meets every second Wednesday so the next meeting will be on :

Wednesday 3rd June 7.30pm

All levels of player are welcome, from complete novices to Grandmasters. And if you are a member of MCC it is free, if not it costs $20 for a year!!

Next meeting we will be looking at some great endgames of Rubinstein.
    Not sure if i am free but if i am - i might pop in!~
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar

Thumbs up This sounds like a great idea!

(@Michael: ... so said Mr Humphries to Mr Peacock... )

Sadly, I'll probably never be able to make it to these lectures myself, but they sound extremely interesting. Given the vast nature of the endgame, I would imagine it will take a long while before the lectures need to be repeated. (Although, if my own chess learning is anything to go by, I suspect that certain lessons will need to be repeated! )

As someone who might want something similar presented at my club (albeit at a much lower level) I am just wondering how the practical side of things is structured in such a teaching/learning environment.

For instance, are players given a set position and a time limit (eg 15 minutes each on the clock), with the lower rated player getting the "theoretically won" position, (which all players have just learned about from analogous examples) with the higher rated player getting the "theoretically lost" position and trying to hold them off? (I would quite enjoy that from both perspectives!)

Also, do you have set lesson plans? (eg themes to be covered each week, followed by a complementing theme the next week, etc... )

I am not actually asking you for such plans (indeed, these should be considered your intellectual property!), just whether or not such plans are relevant in teaching the subject matter.
    Last edited by ElevatorEscapee; 25-05-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Not sure if i am free but if i am - i might pop in!~
    It would be good to see you there....the more the merrier

Thanks for the reply EE, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

First the group was never envisaged by me to be a lecturer/students type of thing. It is more of a mutual help group. I am nothing more than a group leader providing information to the group to be discussed, analysed, and practised upon. I suppose the success of the group will depend on how interesting the information is that is presented.

The aims of the group are simple. To improve the endgame play of all our members and to add to each members confidence in playing and studying endgames. This includes me, as the leader and I'm sure there are plenty out there who know my style of play wondering what I'm doing as a leader of an endgame group

The format varies depending on what is being looked at. For instance, one session was mostly playing a K+QvK+R endgame, after a very short look at some basic positions to aim for, and some very good players who were unable to find winning plans. While this endgame is very easy to understand, it is very difficult to practically win in the given time, so we all had quite a few goes at trying to win or thwart other members of the group.

The last session was much more practical or less theoretical perhaps. We looked at a couple of classic rook and pawn endgames and then chose a starting position from one of them and played some games. The endings were first examined with some basic guidance of the typical ideas that were being employed so we all had some idea of the things we should be trying to do, even if we couldn't always get things right.

Although the sessions have now been structured to look at some classic endgames, to get material I have been looking at a recent TWIC, sorting the games by 'number of moves' and then looked at the endgames and chosen some that I find interesting to show to the group. For instance, recently I have seen a number of endings of K+RvK+N, so I found a little theory and showed it to the group. We then played some positions for practice. This is perhaps the most important thing as practicing endgames in anything other than a real tournament game is rare for most players. The members of this endgame group are testing practical endings every second week and hopefully it will inspire at least some of us to examine the endgame on our own as well.

If you would like some material, I could send you a few ideas. Just message me, though I only come online a couple of times a wekk nowadays.

This Wednesday 3rd June, MCC Endgame Study Group will meet looking at some endgames of the great Rubinstein.

Whether endgames interest you, you are a great endgame player/theorist who may have some things to add to the group, or your endgames need some work, come along and discuss with like minded people.

The group meets at 7.30pm every second Wednesday, everyone welcome

Sorry Carl
    I can't make it tonight I got held back at work! I have already sent you PM! my apologies to the others as well. If Sarah brought her magnificent choc brownies tonight, well that's another reason for me to kick myself for missing out!
    See you all next time!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information