Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar

Aussie Top Career Ratings

GM Zhao needs 37 FIDE rating points to catch GM Rogers - the countdown begins - just like Hazem El Mastri (my lebo mate) last night gaining the record for highest points scored in rugby league

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    GM Zhao needs 37 FIDE rating points to catch GM Rogers - the countdown begins - just like Hazem El Mastri (my lebo mate) last night gaining the record for highest points scored in rugby league

As usual you cannot get even the most simple of things correct.

Rogers highest FIDE rating was 2618 on the January 1999 list.
    Zhao has a current rating (which is his highest) of 2577.
    That is a difference of 41 points.

Now FIDE currently shows Zhao will gain another 6.4 points and will be 2583 on the April 2009 list.
    That is a difference of 35 points.

This shows that maths clearly isnt your strong point.
    Of course I suspect you dont have a strong point.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos

Now FIDE currently shows Zhao will gain another 6.4 points and will be 2583 on the April 2009 list.

As you may know the 37 points calculation is the work of the Tool in another place so no wonder it's wrong.

Lesson No. 1 (for AC) - Never believe what you read in the Toolbox.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    As you may know the 37 points calculation is the work of the Tool in another place so no wonder it's wrong.

Lesson No. 1 (for AC) - Never believe what you read in the Toolbox.

DJ
    on banking sites there is often a "tools and calculators" link

the abovementioned site is one place where they should not go together

Pointless comparisons

I believe that trying to compare Chess achievements in rating terms between a young and talented Australian GM and a legend of Australian Chess who has retired from actual play is pointelss and disrespectful for both!
    Whatever statistical merits this comparison has are just that! Statistical details which have only numerical value since they were reached in different chronological eras!
    Bear in mind that GM Ian Rogers achieved and kept his highest ever for an Australian player over a period that spanned many decades, whereas GM Zhao is just beginning his, hopefully similarly successful, career in the international arena as a Grand Master!
    I don't know if flactuations of rating systems can also be a factor in "comparing" the real value of players.
    Whatever the case might be, I maintain that GM Ian Rogers's invaluable contribution to the Australian Chess is not only his undisputable chess playing abilities but his continuous presence in every aspect of our sport apart from his personal and collective (when represented Australia) efforts over the board!
    GM Rogers's career achievements can only be an example for following and not a record to break!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    I believe that trying to compare Chess achievements in rating terms between a young and talented Australian GM and a legend of Australian Chess who has retired from actual play is pointelss and disrespectful for both!
    Whatever statistical merits this comparison has are just that! Statistical details which have only numerical value since they were reached in different chronological eras!
    Bear in mind that GM Ian Rogers achieved and kept his highest ever for an Australian player over a period that spanned many decades, whereas GM Zhao is just beginning his, hopefully similarly successful, career in the international arena as a Grand Master!
    I don't know if flactuations of rating systems can also be a factor in "comparing" the real value of players.
    Whatever the case might be, I maintain that GM Ian Rogers's invaluable contribution to the Australian Chess is not only his undisputable chess playing abilities but his continuous presence in every aspect of our sport apart from his personal and collective (when represented Australia) efforts over the board!
    GM Rogers's career achievements can only be an example for following and not a record to break!
    Hey Justa, this is as wordy as one on the books of the Holy Book. In case you didn't know Rogers trained Zhao a fair bit I think.

Oldies I know in the game will show me brilliantcys of Zhao, they remember them in their heads, whereas they never quote me such of GM Rogers or Smerdon. That was why I was picking on Smurf.

LIsten Bill, you are the biggest so and so. I have been whinging for weeks for someone to let the board know what the points difference and no one opened their mouth. Now when someone from the opposition does it you get jealous and shoots him down.

Well in good will and greetings I welcome you to share the excitement as Mr Zhao does an El Masri. I wont hold your unco-operation against you.

Isn't Mr Zhao fortunate I forced you to adjust those St George Comp results otherwise he would not have got there so quickly or at all.

Hero I am.

WE have a Lebo Aussie lead the football points and soon a Chinese Aussie lead the chess ratings - poor skippies

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Hero I am.
    Receiving grammar lessons from Master Yoda you have.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

still no point of comparison

I still maintain that comparisons of this kind are pointless!

Quote Originally Posted by AC
    Hey Justa, this is as wordy as one on the books of the Holy Book.
    Nothing wrong with the Holy Book, bless you!

In case you didn't know Rogers trained Zhao a fair bit I think.
    That also speaks volumes for Ian!

Oldies I know in the game will show me brilliantcys of Zhao, they remember them in their heads, whereas they never quote me such of GM Rogers or Smerdon.
    Without underestimating Zhao whose talent I praised in my posting, brilliancies can also occur vs weaker opponents. Rogers and/or Smerdon have their own share of those as well as brilliant strategic wins vs GMs. I do not see the point of this!

That was why I was picking on Smurf.
    Where does Smerdon fit in this? I think the topic of your thread has to do with Zhao's achieving a better rating than Rogers!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

So we are looking at a rating difference of either 41 or 35 points at the time of my original asking about 10 days ago.

If my memory is correct (as I cannot find the original posts) the difference in ACF rating was bout 20 points. That is about half of the FIDE rating difference - seems a bit odd to me.

As Pauline Hanson used to tell us when dressed: Please explain.

If FIDE ratings are worth half ACF ratings my FIDE rating would be 3,000 - world champ would be I

Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Bear in mind that GM Ian Rogers achieved and kept his highest ever for an Australian player over a period that spanned many decades
    AC is discussing the subject of highest ever FIDE ratings by an Australian.
    Unfortunately your wording suggests Ian's highest FIDE rating was maintained over many decades. That is clearly false.

I suspect what you meant to say was that he achieved and kept his position as Australias highest rated player over a period that spanned many decades.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    AC is discussing the subject of highest ever FIDE ratings by an Australian.
    Unfortunately your wording suggests Ian's highest FIDE rating was maintained over many decades. That is clearly false.
    I meant "his highest" as his best, being the top Australian player in every facet of the sport for a long time, an example for others to follow!
    I got out of the ratings argument, referring to other aspects of Ian's contribution to Chess, just to show that such (ratings based) comparisons are pointless!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I suspect what you meant to say was that he achieved and kept his position as Australias highest rated player over a period that spanned many decades.
    Exactly! I think my point of view is clearly expresed in the heading as well as the introduction of my posting:
    Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    Last edited by ER; 15-03-2009 at 07:46 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

So we are looking at a rating difference of either 41 or 35 points at the time of my original asking about 10 days ago.
    Correct.
    If my memory is correct (as I cannot find the original posts) the difference in ACF rating was bout 20 points. That is about half of the FIDE rating difference - seems a bit odd to me.
    Your memory is as usual faulty. No figure has been made regarding the difference between Roger's and Zhao's highest ACF rating
    Remaining dribble ignored.

LIsten Bill, you are the biggest so and so. I have been whinging for weeks for someone to let the board know what the points difference and no one opened their mouth.
    Not my probem that no one answered you here.
    Now when someone from the opposition does it you get jealous and shoots him down.
    Not at all. I just pointed out that the maths were wrong.
    Isn't Mr Zhao fortunate I forced you to adjust those St George Comp results otherwise he would not have got there so quickly or at all.
    You are deluded as ever.
    Hero I am.
    Idiot you are.

In case you didn't know Rogers trained Zhao a fair bit I think.
    This is correct.Zhao calls the the Rogers' his "chess parents".

Thread Information