Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The Luzhin defense is an excellent movie and is wonderfully acted by the very talented pair of John Turturro and Emily Watson. There are silly points to the movie, such as when Watson plays Turturro's opponent after his demise so as to finish off the game. To suggest that the equal best player in world may have missed a five move combination after many months of analysing is ridiculous of course, however that was never the point and the movie was not made to the small chess playing market, btu to the wider audience. Nabikov of course has an experieince with chess players, with suggestions the maths professor from lolita was based on a strong chess player he knew. and The Luzhin Defense touches on the paranoia and introvertness prevalent in the chess community. There is a touch of Morphy to what is going on as Lushin fights an ultimately losing battle against his inner demons. Watson adds a lot with her portrayal as the only person to infiltrate the barrier surrounding the brilliant but tragic Luzhin.

Highly recommend it 7/10

The order of the 5 chess movies I have seen would be

1 The Luzhin Defense
    2 Fresh
    3 Searching for Bobby Fischer
    4 The Chess Master
    5 Knight Moves

What about Joan of Arcadia last night on Channel 9? This chick beat the school's #1 by "accident". No one could explain this. But some chessmaster butts in and gave his wisdom. This chick, apparently someone who did not even know the basic rules, won because the #1 chess player was using logic and this chick wasn't. Something to do with chaos theory or something.

AR

Also, the Tarzan cartoon last Sunday had chess as a theme.

Good morning boys! Just thought I'd share that.

AR

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Also, the Tarzan cartoon last Sunday had chess as a theme.

Good morning boys! Just thought I'd share that.
    Damn, must have missed it. I thought last Sunday was the flourescent ape who could magically heal other animals. Was that the Sunday before?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

From the early 1980's, I remember a Blakes Seven episode in which one of the stars gambles his life in a game of chess. I was fascinated at the time because the games looked real.

Fast forward to today: a quick net search turns up a partial reconstruction of the games, but no mention of whether they are historical games (as in 2001):

http://www.btinternet.com/~blakes.se..._24_gambit.htm

I can't find any form on the first game. Perhaps it was played in high level British competition but not high enough to make my database.

However game 2. Vila - The Klute was a GM game. It was Nunn-Soos, 1979 - the same year as the Blake's 7 episode.

Here is the full game.

PGN Viewer

Thank you very much! How did you do that? Give the program a position and it finds any games with that position?

--
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pballard
    Thank you very much! How did you do that? Give the program a position and it finds any games with that position?
    Yep. I used SCID and a large database of games to search for the position after white's 19th move. One game was found. A quick check of previous moves confirms the identity.

As I said no form could be found on Game 1. It is a much wilder position and may have been concocted for the show. If anyone digs something up, please post it here.

If you want a "heavy" film with a chess theme running through it you can't go far beyond Ingmar Bergman's "The Seventh Seal" (1957) - Swedish with subtitles! - starring Max von Sydow in which a knight challenges Death to a game of chess. It's actually one of Bergman's best films in my opinion as I don't like his later ones very much.

Denis Jessop

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    However game 2. Vila - The Klute was a GM game. It was Nunn-Soos, 1979 - the same year as the Blake's 7 episode.
    An excellent choice by the producers; a game by a talentless robotic freak.

Quote Originally Posted by kegless
    An excellent choice by the producers; a game by a talentless robotic freak.

Well your right in this instance in particular. The game has as much excitement as a tourist tea-towel. I doubt you would need a computer of Orac's emmense power to see the regulation double bishop sac for 20 move forced draw by rep. The Klute must have been a patzer for allowing it if Vila had white and draw odds.

Well your right in this instance in particular. The game has as much excitement as a tourist tea-towel. I doubt you would need a computer of Orac's emmense power to see the regulation double bishop sac for 20 move forced draw by rep. The Klute must have been a patzer for allowing it if Vila had white and draw odds.
    Yeah, strange choice of game indeed.

Even the first game is a bit of a disappointment, because I (well actually GNUChess) reckon in the final position white can draw with 26 Bc1.

Maybe their chess consultant money came out of their special effects budget (i.e. practically zero).

--
    Peter

CC Candidate Master
    Damn, must have missed it. I thought last Sunday was the flourescent ape who could magically heal other animals. Was that the Sunday before?
    Not sure if you and 'arosar' also like the original 'Tarzan' with Johhny W - recently they've released two DVD's for about $8 each - they contain three films on each I got mine from ezydvd - I don't know if you have that in the East.

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    Not sure if you and 'arosar' also like the original 'Tarzan' with Johhny W - recently they've released two DVD's for about $8 each - they contain three films on each I got mine from ezydvd - I don't know if you have that in the East.
    I'm more of a 'Toon fan (not that I would consider Tarzan top-shelf) but I used to watch the old Tarzan tv show. I believe that had Ron Ely in the title role.

Even at my age I still like cartoons . . . I like Kim Possible too.

AR

Thread Information