Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    ok apologies i had to finish lunch!

El torro (pl. los torros) = the tower (s) in Spanish
    El toro (pl. los toros) = the bull (s) in Spanish
    Eek. Need more lunch? La torre = the tower. Las torres = the towers.
    El toro = the bull. Los toros = a sad spectacle.

Back to “las peliculas”. LOL

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNite View Post
    Eek. Need more lunch? La torre = the tower. Las torres = the towers.
    El toro = the bull. Los toros = a sad spectacle.
    Back to “las peliculas”. LOL
    As nobody has specifically mentioned it, I'll point out the obvious: La torre is also the name for the rook/castle in Spanish. Which is the explanation for Tartakower's play on words.

And, to be fair to ER, the gender of nouns in Spanish (as in French, which I studied at school) doesn't always make sense - a dress is male (el vestido), while a necktie is female (la corbata).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    the gender of nouns in Spanish (as in French, which I studied at school) doesn't always make sense - a dress is male (el vestido), while a necktie is female (la corbata).
    Also for the definite articles you have the plural form (el, los, la, las)
    for the indefinite articles you have also the plural form as in un, una, (unos and unas).

As for our movie in discussion A Requiem for Bobby Fischer an interesting linguistic phenomenon can be observed when one studies the Serbian language.
    There aren't any articles (def. or indef.) so the endings of words are used to to indicate the case.
    In the Hellenic language there are masculine, feminine and neutral def. and indef. articles each with their own inflections in all cases.
    Last edited by ER; 28-12-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Attachment 4991
    Our Man in Havana is a 1959 British spy comedy film shot in CinemaScope, directed and produced by Carol Reed, and starring Alec Guinness, Burl Ives, Maureen O'Hara, Ralph Richardson, Noël Coward and Ernie Kovacs. The film is adapted from the 1958 novel Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene.
    Text: wikipedia
    Poster: From my own collection, Source: https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/340373684334852090/
    Doubt: Not sure if the movie has been mentioned here before. I only had a quick look and it hasn't. I will check more thoroughly tomorrow!
    Last edited by ER; 14-10-2021 at 10:54 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

CC Rookie
    Fahim is a boy from a poor family who plays chess with talent. And in 2008, Fahim immigrated to France with his father, and he was taken to one of the best chess schools. But he and his father were rejected, and they had to literally live on the street, without documents and registration. But in the end everything ended well: Fahim, having overcome difficulties, won the national championship, gained worldwide fame and a residence permit for himself and for his father.

Director Pierre-François Martin-Laval told this story in an inspiring and kind way. He revealed all the difficulties that the future champion faced: how he mastered French, how he made new friends, how he missed his mother, how he learned patience and the skill to resist rivals. Martin-Laval paid special attention to Fahim's relationship with his coach, Xavier Parmentier, who saw talent in the boy (in the film his name is Sylvan Charpentier and played by Gerard Depardieu). In life, they really had a very close and warm relationship.

Last edited by WillFairfax89; 28-10-2021 at 06:10 PM.

CC Rookie

Queen of Katwe

And one more movie about chess filmed relatively recently:

This film about the chess player Fiona Mutezi from Uganda was directed by Mira Nair (director of Vanity Fair with Reese Witherspoon). Katwe's Queen was inspired by her work on a documentary about Robert Katenda, Fiona's trainer.
    Katwe is the poorest region in Uganda, where hunger, poverty and crime are rife. Robert himself said in an interview that life in Katwa is very difficult, and people live there, simply because they have no choice. Fiona was born in Katwa, her mother had no money to pay for school, so she could not read or write. Once, wandering around Katwa in search of food, the girl looked into the window of the local church, where Robert taught children to play chess and fed them.
    So, in exchange for a plate of porridge, Fiona began to play. And she did so well that at first she beat all the boys, then Robert himself, and then completely began to represent Uganda at international competitions and became the African junior champion. And in 2010 she attended the World Chess Olympiad in Russia.
    The Queen of Katwe shows Fiona's journey from a little slum girl to the chess queen of Uganda. The film was released by Disney studio, it turned out to be very kind and bright, smoothing corners in places. Throughout the film, the heroine demonstrates fortitude, hard work and determination. Her history proves that you can never say never.

Thread Information