Talking You mean he actually won a game?

Well okay, I'm a little chuffed at the moment but I'm sure you've all been there yourselves at one point. We played round 3 of the local club tournament last night (1hr clock) and I recorded my first 'win' in comp chess so far.

PGN Viewer

Yeah, I know I played rubbish with a clear disdain for tactics and position, but a win is a win and I'll take it any way I can get it.

My opponent resigned (perhaps a little early?) on turn 15 with Rd8 and I have to admit deep down I was doing the little happy dance as I don't win very often in any format of the game, yet alone in a long timed comp game like this.

My only goal for my first club event was to win just one game, so I'm already happy (and preparing for 6 straight losses to finish the event!) hehehehe

Did you know that the literal translation for Silver is actually Money in 14 different languages, across 51 different countries?
    Who is John Galt?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Your tactics look spot-on to me. The only move you made that I might criticise objectively (although only mildly) is 10.Bxc6. It's not a really bad move but it does give up bishop for knight when there is no real reason to do so, and if Black plays 10...Bxc6 he has probably improved his position. Often in this sort of position (which I get a lot of, eg out of Rossolimo Sicilians 2...Nf6 3.Bb5) Black will sooner or later waste a tempo making you take that knight.

As it happened he instead played the disaster move 10...Qxc6?? and your response to that was completely accurate! Well done.

As for his decision to resign he could have tried ...Nf6 but it is still only a matter of time if you play accurately before he will be a whole rook down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausknight
    Well okay, I'm a little chuffed at the moment
    Congrats on your first club win V happy for you Dan.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Nice game, well played!
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

ta

Cheers guys, I can tell ya it's been a bloody long time coming too!

I'm actually surprised you guys think I played it alright. I must be thinking the wrong way then because when I was looking at the score sheet it felt like I was just playing any old rubbish to be honest

d3 then d4 a move later is not to be recommended in general, but in this position it seems justified because Black's two moves in the meantime were time-wasters. But yes it was a nice game, you developed logically, and when he blundered you took advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausknight
    Cheers guys, I can tell ya it's been a bloody long time coming too!
    I heard a player Don did not win a game at Melbourne Chess Club for 2 years!
    He went on to become a 1600+ player

CC International Master
    Well done Ausknights all the study is beginning to pay off and I guarentee that this game is one of many.

I always find it inspiring that people who don't do all that well at first usually end up really good. Aslong as they train hard.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

CC Candidate Master
    are you saying this is the first tournament game you've won?
    Well you play pretty well. Why on earth have you won only won game?

CC FIDE Master

That's an achievement?

Quote Originally Posted by Met
    I heard a player Don did not win a game at Melbourne Chess Club for 2 years!
    He went on to become a 1600+ player
    Wow, 1600. Is that an achievement?

Well done AusKnight, I still remember my first win against an adult player as a junior after playing chess for about seven years. Keep it up.
    Last edited by Thunderspirit; 02-08-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Thread Information