Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    We should get paid if any thing we did at school benefitted anyone.
    If anything you did at school benefited anyone, that one was you.
    meep meep

I was going to 'get stuck in' but decided against it on account of it being a teens thread. But seeing as I'm here , Sara do you believe all labour should be paid by 'someone'?

Here's a hypothetical. A parent of one of you school chums suffers a catastrophic disability in a car accident. Let's say it's the mum. Then the dad has to stop work and care full time for the mum (he decides not to put her in a home and move on with his life). My question is who pays the dad for the full-time care? He doesn't work. He can draw a pension I suppose - as can the mother. But what about the wage you speak of?

Or is it only some labour that should be paid?
    Or is it only school labour?
    Or is it only labour that isn't caring for another human, coz that's not really work is it?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    I was going to 'get stuck in' but decided against it on account of it being a teens thread. But seeing as I'm here , Sara do you believe all labour should be paid by 'someone'?

Or is it only some labour that should be paid?
    Or is it only school labour?
    Or is it only labour that isn't caring for another human, coz that's not really work is it?
    That situation is unfortunate and yes I believe the father should be paid by the government. I don't believe school labour should be paid. Yes that is real work.

(This is in response to the 'benefit you' guy). I did home schooling for a part of my life and I still maintain that I learnt more there in 3 years then I have at school in 7 keeping in mind I do private study of subjects that interest me.I have also been on isolated aboriginal communities and from my mothers experience know that the classes were personalised but the kids spoke no english...they still learned a hell of alot in comparison to kids in the school I attend at the moment because they don't get any personalised time (I actually forgot the point of me saying this but I'm sure you will draw something). I might have to re-read over some of my previous comments that didn't come out right so I will read over those and correct where neccessary (if needed to begin with).
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    If anything you did at school benefited anyone, that one was you.
    Hilarious. What I mean to say is that there is alot of bull taught in school many life skills are not taught so I really don't think what the school does benefits me all that much. Luckily I was raised in a house hold where cooking, finances etc etc etc were highly valued. However someone (quite a few actually) I know has gone through their entire life from kindy to year 10 and cannot cook a meal for themselves and you are telling me school benefits you to the point of living alone? I have a very low opinion of what is considered neccessary by schools.
    Last edited by Saragossa; 20-04-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Hilarious. What I mean to say is that there is alot of bull taught in school many life skills are not taught so I really don't think what the school does benefits me all that much. Luckily I was raised in a house hold where cooking, finances etc etc etc were highly valued. However someone (quite few actually) I know has gone through their entire life from kindy to year 10 and cannot cook a meal for themselves and you are telling me school benefits you to the point of living alone? I have a very low opinion of what is considered neccessary by schools.
    Oh yes, how silly of me, if school does not teach you how to cook then everything it does teach you must be worthless. Pity part of that worthless bit at your school didn't include logic and rational thought.
    meep meep

CC International Master
    Oh yes, how silly of me, if school does not teach you how to cook then everything it does teach you must be worthless. Pity part of that worthless bit at your school didn't include logic and rational thought.
    My rational thought is fine. Cooking was used as an example but it is good to see that the wisdom you have gained through your many more years of living then me has lead to your above low level sarcastic hack that does nothing more constructive then outright rambling, makes me see that the school system was just as flawed back in your day.

Many other things are not taught things that should be: financial planning (Finances are taught in maths but it is based around tax not actual long term planning or anything but taxing systems in banks which is valuable but only a fraction of the picture), Basic home maintenance, Proper team working guides and excercises (we get put in groups all the time but have never had these skills developed), Computing courses are in limited offer only one term per year and the importance of IT in todays society is recognised near everywhere. This is only a few of the things not taught by schools or not well covered enough.

Now I do apologise for snapping at you but I don't think it was without warrant. Maybe next time put a little more thought into your posts or simply read mine in more detail before posting.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Many other things are not taught things that should be: financial planning (Finances are taught in maths but it is based around tax not actual long term planning or anything but taxing systems in banks which is valuable but only a fraction of the picture), Basic home maintenance, Proper team working guides and excercises (we get put in groups all the time but have never had these skills developed), Computing courses are in limited offer only one term per year and the importance of IT in todays society is recognised near everywhere. This is only a few of the things not taught by schools or not well covered enough.
    I agree with a lot of that. Instead of the political correctness and black armband history, kids would be much better prepared with some financial planning (compound interest is essential to understand including "rule of 72"), some elementary plumbing and home maintenance, grammar, and logic.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

My rational thought is fine. Cooking was used as an example but it is good to see that the wisdom you have gained through your many more years of living then me has lead to your above low level sarcastic hack that does nothing more constructive then outright rambling, makes me see that the school system was just as flawed back in your day.

Now I do apologise for snapping at you but I don't think it was without warrant. Maybe next time put a little more thought into your posts or simply read mine in more detail before posting.
    Actually I did read your posts, maybe you did not read them yourself.

"many life skills are not taught so I really don't think what the school does benefits me all that much."

is of the same form as I gave above, if school does not teach you {how to cook} then everything it does teach you must be worthless. So even though you may not get the benefit you desire, i.e. cooking, you nevertheless are the one who gets the benefit from being at school.
    meep meep

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    I agree with a lot of that. Instead of the political correctness and black armband history, kids would be much better prepared with some financial planning (compound interest is essential to understand including "rule of 72"), some elementary plumbing and home maintenance, grammar, and logic.
    Something I am in dire need of. I am a firm believer that school is there so kids can be successful in life and if you can't take care of yourself then you'd better learn quick because you're the most important thing in your life.

CC International Master
    Actually I did read your posts, maybe you did not read them yourself.

"many life skills are not taught so I really don't think what the school does benefits me all that much."

is of the same form as I gave above, if school does not teach you {how to cook} then everything it does teach you must be worthless.
    How you draw this conclusion from everything I have said surprises me. I may have the odd quote in there but if you read everything I have written (on this subject) you obviously would not come to this very narrow final point of view(Unless you were biased to begin with. A teacher or some such?). I do need to read my posts more I agree because there is a huge amount of typos going on which I apologise for in advance other then that I think my posts are valid and I do not believe all of what I 'learn' at school is valueless just most of it. Teachers and many others reap rewards from the schooling system not just me or fellow students for that matter.

Thread Information