Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Troubleshooting: Can't post or can't edit post: "Forbidden" error

The problem

An error that sometimes happens is that posters cannot submit a given post (often a long one) and get an error something like this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Sometimes instead of /newreply.php it will be /editpost.php or something similar.

To check that this is the problem

Try making a test post containing just a few words, or just the word "test". If you can do this successfully and it appears on the board, then it is most likely something in the text of your original message that was the issue.

Why does this happen?

The board is programmed to recognise and disallow some expressions that might be used by hackers to attack the board. Unfortunately now and then this function bars completely innocent text.

Is there an exact list of what expressions are barred?

No. There is a (very long) list of words that are usable in SQL but that really doesn't narrow the field very much - nor does every use of any word in that list trigger the problem.

Usually it is some particular combination of two or more words, rather than a single word, that triggers the problem.

So how to get around it?

Unfortunately the only way we have found around this bug is trial and error.

Go through your post sentence by sentence, and in turn, try cutting out a sentence (use Edit:Cut) and submitting in preview mode.

If your post still doesn't go through, that sentence is probably not to blame. Paste it back in and try cutting the next.

If your post does go through, you have identified the sentence that the board takes exception to. You can now try cutting out groups of a few words in the same manner, or just radically reword the entire sentence.

If your post is very long you can use the same trial and error process paragraph by paragraph, then sentence by sentence within the troublesome paragraph.

If, no matter which sentence you cut out, you still have problems, you may have to try radically rewording the entire post.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 28-02-2011 at 08:26 PM.

I have had this issue a couple of times. On each occasion it has also been time specific, as in that while the board will reject my post for a certain period of time, when I come back a few hours later and try and make the exact same post, the board accepts it with no issues.

Words containing the letters "url", such as "curl", are quite often part of the trigger for this problem.

As an example of how bizarre this bug can be, the post at http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=236026&postcount=20 triggered it in its original form.

After going through the usual process of trial and error I discovered that the offending character was the space between the equals sign and the figure 1722.5 in Sally Yu's line, although none of the other spaces between the equals signs and the final figure triggered it. Thus, removing that one space was enough for my post to work.

it might have been karma from yu know who because of not being selected

Could not post the word "Lynx" without inverted commas.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Could not post the word "Lynx" without inverted commas.
    Lynx
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Lynx
    Yesterday - ran out of shower gel
    This afternoon - mega promo box of "Lynx" mens stink stuff arrived at office. I scored ... shower gel! Whoa. How's that for Even Steven?

Can you post the text above (coloured red) without the inverted commas?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Yesterday - ran out of shower gel
    This afternoon - mega promo box of "Lynx" mens stink stuff arrived at office. I scored ... shower gel! Whoa. How's that for Even Steven?

Can you post the text above (coloured red) without the inverted commas?
    Yeah, there is definitely an issue there. I guess it is due to "Lynx" being an operating system, but as far as I know it is not an SQL reserved word.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

This is a shocking program, when I reply to posts my way, changing the original text it will tell me that I have to make the post 3 words longer. I do this about 6 times and it still tells me the same.

There is always a fool big enough to outfool the greatest foolproof system.

Not sure who the fool is here.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    This is a shocking program, when I reply to posts my way, changing the original text it will tell me that I have to make the post 3 words longer. I do this about 6 times and it still tells me the same.
    It's probably trying to save you from getting yourself banned.

*bump*

Just bumping this as two posters had the issue today. If you like bookmarking lots of stuff this is a useful thread to bookmark.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Not sure who the fool is here.
    I'll give you a hint, his name starts with "a"
    Chess well played is imagination, calculation, observation, experience and memorization in order of importance.

CC Candidate Master
    Can anything be done to fix the problem, or can't the code be edited? Not knowing if your message will be accepted just discourages you from even trying in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by kibitzer
    Can anything be done to fix the problem, or can't the code be edited? Not knowing if your message will be accepted just discourages you from even trying in the first place.
    try posting paragraph by paragraph and locate the troublesome word by trial and error!
    However, Kevin's post #1 in this thread will help you lots!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information