Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Chess: Tasmanian Records Vol 3 2001-2008

Neville Ledger has just released this volume which is an update to his previous two-volume "Chess: Tasmanian Records" covering the period up to 2000. (I am unsure if there are any copies of the previous volumes left).

125 pages spiral bound with clear plastic cover. Includes crosstables for state events and complete results of all tournaments conducted by the state's main clubs, event reports etc. 85 games many annotated, details of ratings, officebearers etc.

Available for $10.75 posted to anywhere in Australia from Neville Ledger Chess Centre, PO Box 837 Burnie Tas 7320.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Neville Ledger has just released this volume which is an update to his previous two-volume "Chess: Tasmanian Records" covering the period up to 2000. (I am unsure if there are any copies of the previous volumes left).
    Neville recently wrote and said he'd run out of Vols 1 & 2

Is it a first for Tassie?

That collection and publication of records seems like an excellent contribution to Australian Chess History for present and future researchers.
    Congratulations to all involved and Neville Ledger's works should inspire Chess writers from other States as well!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC FIDE Master
    Are those Tasmanian Records vol. 1, 2 & 3 for sale somewhere??

Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    Are those Tasmanian Records vol. 1, 2 & 3 for sale somewhere??
    Neville Ledger may have copies. You can contact him at nlchessATtassie.net.au (replace AT with @) .

He has also done annual supplements since 2009 which sometimes have some older info in them too. Volume 7 (2012) was just issued.

CC FIDE Master
    Thanks, Kevin, for your reply.

The annual series continues with volume 9 just released at $10 post free. A note in the issue says it will probably be the last (although some other volumes have also said such). The issue includes most games from the tournament Neville sponsored in Burnie last year.

Have there been any Australian championships held in Tasmania? over all those years
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC FIDE Master
    Yep - and they wrote a book about it:

Title The Australian chess championship tournament at Hobart, Tasmania 1952-1953 /​ by M.E. Goldstein and M.D. Broun.

Also '59 +'65 I think.
    Last edited by idledim; 05-03-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    Yep - and they wrote a book about it:

Title The Australian chess championship tournament at Hobart, Tasmania 1952-1953 /​ by M.E. Goldstein and M.D. Broun.

Also '59 +'65 I think.
    64-5 was Hobart, 58-9 was Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    64-5 was Hobart, 58-9 was Sydney.
    It was a shame 2014/5 was not also Tasmania a half century since last time, like due for another feed
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    It was a shame 2014/5 was not also Tasmania a half century since last time, like due for another feed
    We're continually looking at it. Every now and then we build up a critical mass of keen organisers but it tends not to last very long. With our last critical mass we ran the 2010 Australian Junior. We recently had a look at running an Aus Champs and decided that at the moment we don't have enough people on the ground here with the energy to do it.

An option being canvassed is to hold the event here sometime but with the organisation effort shared with others from outside Tas.

The work involved in these things is large. I did hardly any paid work for about 3 months around the Aus Junior, at which I was DOP, Treasurer and did the bulletins.

CC FIDE Master
    HEHE less than six weeks ago I bought the book from Goldstein & Broun i Melbourne... It's good one!

CC FIDE Master
    I have now spoken with Neville Ledger about the scandalous possibility that there would be no Vol. 10 and have since been formally advised by him that there will be. Tasmanian players are therefore not to discard any games - as Neville will most likely need them for inclusion in Volume 10. I will forward a few from the Tas. Championships thread on this site - and would be grateful to see a few more posted. Thanks in advance to Kevin, Elliott, Ian etc. who appear to be ahead of the game (as usual)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    An option being canvassed is to hold the event here sometime but with the organisation effort shared with others from outside Tas...
    Given time to organise my schedule, I could be interested in offering my services either from home and/or actually, coming over for a about 5-10 days before and during the tournament for setting up and other hands on related duties!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information