Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047

    Fairfield Winter Cup

    Some early news. alexmdc beat George Xie.

    AR

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Wow, crazy... well done alex!
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  3. #3
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Code:
    1  Wei, Michael          ACT   1953 5.5   29:W 22:W 20:W  2:W  5:D  6:W
    2  Agulto, Edgardo       NSW   2113 5     30:W 11:W  3:W  1:L 14:W  7:W
    3  Mendes da Costa, Alex NSW   1782 5     31:W  4:W  2:L 18:W 17:W 14:W
    4  Xie, George           NSW   2319 5     24:W  3:L 30:W 21:W 16:W  5:W
    5  Charles, Gareth       NSW   2119 4.5   36:W 16:W  7:W  6:W  1:D  4:L
    6  Chan, Jason           NSW   1978 4     33:W  8:W 19:W  5:L 20:W  1:L
    7  Bautista, Elpidio     NSW   1787 4     23:W 42:W  5:L 15:W 19:W  2:L
    8  Huynh, Arthur         NSW   1699 4     34:W  6:L 31:W 10:D 12:D 19:W
    9  Doan, Peter           NSW   1802 4     18:W 38:D 15:D 19:L 25:W 20:W
    10 Yu, Michael           NSW   1867 4     26:W 19:L 43:W  8:D 21:W 17:D
    11 Huddleston, Heather   NSW   1746 4     27:W  2:L 23:W 20:L 36:W 24:W
    12 Barisic, Frank        NSW   1818 4     39:W 37:W 21:D 14:L  8:D 23:W
    13 Villanueva, Anthony   NSW   1533 4     21:L 31:L 46:W 39:W 32:W 22:W
    14 Castor, David         NSW   1934 3.5   25:W 15:D 38:W 12:W  2:L  3:L
    15 Song, Angela          NSW   1673 3.5   32:W 14:D  9:D  7:L 29:W 16:D
    16 Descallar, Levi       NSW   1724 3.5   41:W  5:L 26:W 40:W  4:L 15:D
    17 Harp, Joel            NSW   1906 3.5   43:W 20:L 29:W 22:W  3:L 10:D
    18 Wu, Edwin             NSW   1277 3.5    9:L 45:W 37:W  3:L 33:W 21:D
    19 Trkulja, Slavko       NSW   1644 3     46:W 10:W  6:L  9:W  7:L  8:L
    20 Buza, Muhamed         NSW   1672 3     35:W 17:W  1:L 11:W  6:L  9:L
    21 Singh, Jaspal         NSW        3     13:W 33:W 12:D  4:L 10:L 18:D
    22 Savelieff, Geoffrey   NSW   1698 3     28:W  1:L 41:W 17:L 26:W 13:L
    23 Xu, William           NSW   1410 3      7:L 44:W 11:L 30:W 38:W 12:L
    24 Smit, George          NSW   1525 3      4:L 27:W 32:D 37:D 40:W 11:L
    25 Bisson, Danny Wayne   NSW   1510 3     14:L 32:L 45:W 27:W  9:L 40:W
    26 Losh, Gary            NSW   1458 3     10:L 46:W 16:L 42:W 22:L 36:W
    27 Baldwin, Tony         NSW   1358 3     11:L 24:L 44:W 25:L 43:W 38:W
    28 Parker, Trent         NSW   1298 3     22:L 29:L 36:L 46:W 39:W 37:W
    29 Greenwood, Norman     NSW   1513 2.5    1:L 28:W 17:L 41:W 15:L 35:D
    30 Huang, Jim            NSW   1519 2.5    2:L 34:W  4:L 23:L 37:D 42:W
    31 Boyce, Jamie          NSW   1395 2.5    3:L 13:W  8:L 36:L 34:D 43:W
    32 Nguyen, Andrew        NSW   1089 2.5   15:L 25:W 24:D 38:D 13:L 33:D
    33 Art, Carl             NSW   1581 2.5    6:L 21:L 34:W 43:W 18:L 32:D
    34 Kumar, Anish          NSW   1339 2.5    8:L 30:L 33:L 44:W 31:D 41:W
    35 Kumar, Dhirendra      NSW   1009 2.5   20:L 43:L 39:L 45:W 46:W 29:D
    36 Sewell, Robert        NSW   1524 2      5:L 41:L 28:W 31:W 11:L 26:L
    37 Keuning, Anthony      NSW   1610 2     40:W 12:L 18:L 24:D 30:D 28:L
    38 Tubic, Luka           NSW   1554 2     45:W  9:D 14:L 32:D 23:L 27:L
    39 Christensen, Joshua   NSW   1434 2     12:L 40:L 35:W 13:L 28:L 44:W
    40 Beveridge, David      NSW        2     37:L 39:W 42:W 16:L 24:L 25:L
    41 Kumar, Rakesh         NSW   1355 1.5   16:L 36:W 22:L 29:L 42:D 34:L
    42 Kresinger, Frank      NSW   1547 1.5   44:W  7:L 40:L 26:L 41:D 30:L
    43 Aich, Alexander       NSW   1484 1     17:L 35:W 10:L 33:L 27:L 31:L
    44 Kumar, Sanjesh        NSW        1     42:L 23:L 27:L 34:L 45:W 39:L
    45 Franca, Edis          NSW        1     38:L 18:L 25:L 35:L 44:L 46:W
    46 Balgi, Kabir          NSW        0     19:L 26:L 13:L 28:L 35:L 45:L

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,310
    i was literally about to do that

  5. #5
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,936
    I had an excellent game against Tony Keuning in the last round. We were both under the 5 minutes - the things we do in time trouble...

    Round about the 10 min each mark I played a check which Anthony took with his knight forgeting that it was pinned to his queen! But it was still difficult because he still had 3 minor pieces and a rook and a couple extra pawns to my Q and 2 R and my queen was at risk of being trapped.

    Now all this happened whilst both of us were under 5 min:
    I had to give up a couple of my pawns to enable my queen to escape but this enabled him to get a defended pawn on the 7th rank.
    I moved my queen to a place where it was en prise.... but he didn't see it!
    I made a blunder which enabled him to Queen the pawn on the 7th rank.
    I kept on checking him until he blundered and interposed his king infront of his newly promoted queen... so i won the queen back.... and he ended up resigning with 37 secons left on the clock.

    Man oh man was i stuffed after that game!!
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  6. #6
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,936
    hmm, using Barry's Ratings calculator my rating should increase by about 23 ratings points!
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  7. #7
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    4,254
    AlexDMC - What a player?

    I guess his games in that brutaly strong C.O.M.M.O.N.M.A.N tournie must have realy toughened him up. I mean, the
    CM had 25% >1900 and 13% >2000 while Fairfield
    only had 15% >1900 and 7% >2000.

    I s'pose that since BG thought the CM was so bloody weak, he should come out now and say that the Fairfeild was so feeble, that he doesn't consider it a ratible tourniment

  8. #8
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    AlexDMC - What a player?

    I guess his games in that brutaly strong C.O.M.M.O.N.M.A.N tournie must have realy toughened him up. I mean, the
    CM had 25% >1900 and 13% >2000 while Fairfield
    only had 15% >1900 and 7% >2000.

    I s'pose that since BG thought the CM was so bloody weak, he should come out now and say that the Fairfeild was so feeble, that he doesn't consider it a ratible tourniment
    I guess it was too much to expect that your posts would be any more intelligent than they had been in the past.
    With such a small field (16 players) in the C.O.M.M.O.N.M.A.N your percenatges are meaningless.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 12-07-2004 at 04:32 PM.

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Great effort by Alex. His play seems to have taken a huge step forward since he was told he wasn't strong enough to play in the Young Masters. Will he qualify age wise for the tournament next year. If so I put him down as a very early favourite.
    Also good effort by Michael Wei to win and Angela Song also had a good tournament.

    And on tournament merits both the Farfield and Common Man tournaments were weaker than the Uni Open.

    Scott

  10. #10
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    With such a small field (16 players) in the C.O.M.M.O.N.M.A.N your percenatges are meaningless.
    Hang on! I recall you saying,

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    There were 17 players over 1900. That 32.69% if you use 52 and 20.73% if you use 82.
    There were 11 over 2100. Thats 21.15% if you use 52 and 11.41% if you use 82.
    There were 8 over 2200. That is 15.38% if you use 52 and 9.76% if you use 82.

    No matter how you look at it* your event was extremly weak at the top by comparison.

    [* Bold by MS]
    So, first you give percentages to two decimal places in order to put [snip] on the Common Man, then you say that the numbers are meaningless.

    Oh well, I s'pose you can use stats as loosely as you choose - as long as it fits your agenda.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 14-07-2004 at 02:23 AM.

  11. #11
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottColliver
    Great effort by Alex. His play seems to have taken a huge step forward since he was told he wasn't strong enough to play in the Young Masters. Will he qualify age wise for the tournament next year. If so I put him down as a very early favourite.
    Also good effort by Michael Wei to win and Angela Song also had a good tournament.

    And on tournament merits both the Farfield and Common Man tournaments were weaker than the Uni Open.

    Scott
    Actually Alex was never told he wasn't strong enough to play in the Young Masters, he was told his rating wasn't high enough - a totally different thing.

    The Young Masters was done on rating and Alex is still rated less than the lowest rated person to play in the Young Masters this year. I will repeat what I said then - if Alex continues to get the good results, that he has been getting all year, he should have a strong chance of getting into the Young Masters next year.

    It is returning to Sydney next year - the plan is to have it be run in Sydney and Canberra on alternate years. This will make it a bit harder to get into, as I assume more of the eligible players will play in it, if it is in thie home town.

    If I have my ages right, then I think Alex is still eligible to play next year, but looking at the top 20 list, he will probably need a rating of over 2000 to get in. However if he keeps getting the results he has for most of this year, then that shouldn't be a problem.

  12. #12
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    So, first you give percentages to two decimal places in order to put [snip] on the Common Man, then you say that the numbers are meaningless.
    Those figures are for the NSW Open which had 52 in the Open and 82 overall. Those player numbers are significant unlike your 16 players in the Common Man.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Oh well, I s'pose you can use stats as loosely as you choose - as long as it fits your agenda.
    No, thats incorrect as usual.
    You were the one who claimed his figures were significant.
    I always said they werent.
    However since you insisted on saying they were I calculated the figures for the NSW Open to show that using your logic your event was weak by compariosn.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 14-07-2004 at 02:24 AM.

  13. #13
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    However since you insisted on [CM stats were significant] I calculated the figures for the NSW Open to show that using your logic your event was weak by compariosn.
    So, you are using what you call, my insignificant stats, to show that the CM was weak. Now, could you please use significant stats to do the same thing? If you cannot, simply admit that the CM cannot be shown to be weaker than the NSW Open (82 entries).

  14. #14
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    So, you are using what you call, my insignificant stats, to show that the CM was weak. Now, could you please use significant stats to do the same thing? If you cannot, simply admit that the CM cannot be shown to be weaker than the NSW Open (82 entries).
    You were the moron claiming/implying it was not weak(i.e. strong) by claiming that one quater of your players were over 1900. (reference post 123 in the common man thread)
    I argued your figures were insignificant based on 16 players. (post #124)
    In post #12 in that thread you were the idiot would compared it to the NSW Open not I.
    I simply responded in post #129 showing that using your logic that NSW OPen was significantly stronger than the Common Man.

    In post #147 Kevin agreed that my comment about 16 being insignificant was "looking pretty good".

    Therefore either admit you are still claiming your figures for the common man are significant, in which case my figures using your own logic show that in comparison to the NSW Open it was weak, or else admit that your figures were not significant in which case your pointing out that one quarter of your players being over 1900 was a useless statistic.

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047
    alexmdc....could you post your game against Xie here mate?

    Cheers,

    AR

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fairfield Winter Cup on 10 July
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 12:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •