always on- power options

Windows XP operating System-

I have managed to delete all the power management options and so now have no options for stopping my laptop screen turning itself off after fifteen minutes of inactivity.

Does anyone has any workarounds for this? I have tried google searches with no luck.

GG, do you mean that you have deleted the Control Panel applet? IIRC, these are .CPL files, in either \WINDOWS, \WINDOWS\SYSTEM or maybe \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

Were you deleting files manually off the PC, or doing something else?
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    I was just wondering how you managed to delete those files... I usually go by the rule "If it's a hidden file, don't touch it (unless you know what you're doing!)"
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

Nope to both-

Go to desktop:

1) right click
    2) properties
    3) screen saver
    4) monitor power- power
    5) then it will show power schemes and a whole list of power saving options and times.

Over a number of weeks I deleted quite a few of the different options, wanting to leave only ALWAYS ON, so basically the screen did not turn go into stand by mode after a few minutes of non operation. One day I found that all the options had been deleted and now I can not find a way to add some options.

So I am just left with the factory default and thought some others on here would be aware of the features I am talking about.

I no longer have XP, however in Vista there is an option to "Create a new power plan". There ought to be something similar in XP somewhere. The information on this page:

http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp...-changing.html

suggests you might be able to tinker with the Registry (only if you know what you're doing!).
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC International Master
    Have you tried looking for software/help/settings from your laptop manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Nope to both-

Go to desktop:

1) right click
    2) properties
    3) screen saver
    4) monitor power- power
    5) then it will show power schemes and a whole list of power saving options and times.
    Even at this stage when you see no schemes there should be a button labelled "Save As" to the left of the delete button.

If you click on this then whatever options you have set below in the power scheme e.g. turn of monitor, turn off hard disks should be able to be saved.

BTW to get them to apply you might need to hit the "Apply" button.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Over a number of weeks I deleted quite a few of the different options, wanting to leave only ALWAYS ON, so basically the screen did not turn go into stand by mode after a few minutes of non operation.
    Now that was not to clever.

All you needed to do was set it to the one you wanted e.g. Always On and click on the "Apply" button.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Thread Information