Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Man in the Back that Caesar guy's Avatar
    Yeah, Hacche does, because he knows he will lose all of his real money

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Surely Hacche isn't playing for play money?
    I suspect the combination of Hacche, tilt & money would not be a good combination ...

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Surely Hacche isn't playing for play money?
    Hacche has no money
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    So is there a tendency for most serious chess players who take up poker seriously to do well out of it? Or is it the case that enough chess players are now playing poker, and the entry fees are sufficiently high, that there are bound to be a number of big wins involving chess players?

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    So is there a tendency for most serious chess players who take up poker seriously to do well out of it? Or is it the case that enough chess players are now playing poker, and the entry fees are sufficiently high, that there are bound to be a number of big wins involving chess players?
    Its a different kind of challenge for me Kevin. People seem to think its a simple game, but it can be quite complicated. Of course it helps that there's a lot more money involved in it than chess and it also helps that a lot of not-so-good players see things like Joe Hachem's WSOP win and think 'hey, maybe I can do that too' without putting the effort in away from the card table.
    Imagine if you said that the Australian Championships had an entry fee of $500 with no divisional prizes, how many players do you think would show up? I doubt your 1400-2000 player would attend thinking they were going do anything more than play some potentially interesting games of chess while on holiday ... however this is not the case with poker.
    While I am often at the table, many others are simply

CC Grandmaster
    They are quite different games, but I suspect that many chess players have the right brain and temperament to do well in poker. Tournaments especially, where players need to concentrate for six hours sessions or longer.

I imagine many ex-online-chess-junkies (such as myself) are attracted to online poker where they can actually make some real money while engaging in the equivalent of online bullet chess.

Incidentally, James Obst is among the chip leaders after Day 1a of the Aussie Millions main event ($10k buyin, probably over $6m prize fund).

CC Grandmaster
    Rayan Nathan is another ex chess player and I think that Keiran Olm-Milligan is also playing the Aussie Millions main event, although the spelling I have seen is different. Olm-Milligan survived day 1b, but Nathan has been eliminated from day 1c.
    Scott

Why Johnny B playing, he loves gambling and certainly needs the money

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Why Johnny B playing, he loves gambling and certainly needs the money
    Sounds like good reasons not to play poker

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Real Deal my account name is "Pictonite"

CC Grandmaster
    James is crushing the $2000 shorthanded NL event 14. He has a nearly double chiplead, and led for almost the whole of day 1. He is looking very, very good for a first live win.

http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...p-counts/day1/

CC Grandmaster
    James has suffered a massive reverse. With 16 left, James had a huge 3:1 chip lead over 2nd place. He then lost about 6 big pots in a row to bust out in 11th - the most dramatic crash of a chip leader I have ever seen.

Damn. Perhaps there is something to be said for tanking a bit and letting the short stacks fight it out amoungst themselves.
    meep meep

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Damn. Perhaps there is something to be said for tanking a bit and letting the short stacks fight it out amoungst themselves.
    Maybe, but I suspect that if you want to win it (as opposed to sneak into a cash spot), you need to exploit the advantage you have as a chipleader while everyone *else* is trying to sneak into the cash spots. That's basically how Scott Stewart got into a huge chiplead at the final table of the main event (which he went on to win) - bullying shortstacks who wanted to preserve cashing positions.

CC Grandmaster
    James Obst today won event 11 of Pokerstars SCOOP with first prize being 184000, although a deal may have been done at the final table.
    Scott

Thread Information