Thread: Choice of Sets

CC FIDE Master

Choice of Sets

There is currently available chess sets with the pieces coloured white instead of the off white colour. I have found that when playing with the sets with the white coloured pieces under fluro lighting it gives me eye strain. would it be permissible in a tournament before starting a tournament round to ask for the pieces to be replaced with the off white pieces> Also could your opponent object if the opponent liked playing with the white pieces? Comments would be appreciated

CC International Master
    The FIDE Laws (Article 2) provide that sets should be light and dark, which includes white and black but is not limited to it.

I have seen a player request a change in equipment which he considered too black and white.

Ultimately it's up to the arbiter but if alternative equipment is available and the opponent doesn't object I don't see a problem. However if the opponent does object I think the arbiter would be within their rights, though under no obligation, to rule that the same equipment everyone else is using is adequate.

I suggest going in ten minutes early and swapping the equipment at your board, most people won't notice.

CC FIDE Master
    The suggestion has merit if there are different colours of white available but if they are all the same type of white pieces then I guess the player has to put up with it

I see that we have a post or two on this same topic on the "What is the official WCC chess set?" thread on General Chess Chat. Perhaps they could be moved to here.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Thread Information