Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Capa Fan, thanks for reminding me of my two most cherished books in my attic - A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom , John William Draper’s History of the Conflict between Religion and Science (1874). The RCC was even against the lightning conductors
    Trust you to love utterly discredited books like those. Historians have long had contempt for the ‘Draper–White thesis’ or ‘conflict thesis’. Even the leftist Wikipedia documents this. The RCC was not against lightning conductors, and never taught a flat earth.
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 31-08-2018 at 01:01 PM.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Do you agree with O'Neill that Shapiro's line of questioning was highly dubious?
    No, but then why would I? O'Neill is an atheist like Harris. I agree with O'Neill's criticism of both in historical matters.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Hi all participating in this discussion. I just spent an interesting hour or so skim reading this thread. It is of interest because I recently bought Alister McGrath's book, "Science & Religion: A New Introduction". This popular (as opposed to academic) book has a number of references to Galileo and the heliocentic debate, especially pages 21-24. I also have a DVD by Capa Fan on related subject matter!** Back in year 4 at Otago Uni I studied the history of science. I never (as yet anyway - tis may be rectified) had the time to read Grant, Hannam, O'Neil et al but maybe one day I will fit such reading in. As my old friend Captain Underpants would have said, carry on!

** Jono's DVD is called "The Christian Roots of Science". Great title and very interesting content. Even has a photo with me in it!!
    Last edited by Adamski; 31-08-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    No, but then why would I? O'Neill is an atheist like Harris. I agree with O'Neill's criticism of both in historical matters.
    You appear to be quite fond of quoting them both.
    meep meep

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    ... As my old friend Captain Underpants would have said, carry on!
    Not sure if you meant to imply it or not, but I'm fairly sure Captain Underpants is still alive, although mostly inactive here.

Indeed so, Patrick! He's alive and kicking! I meant he would have said it if he happened to visit the thread. Probably not his subject matter.
    Last edited by Adamski; 01-09-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Bought a new book from Koorong (popular history etc. again) which might contribute to this thread once I have read it. "The Lion Handbook of Science & Christianity". Very nicely produced.
    BTW I am home today as I am between work contracts. My next gig begins on Monday. I am a Data Architect but maybe you could also call me a Data Scientist!

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    You appear to be quite fond of quoting them both.
    It's possible to respect two authors who disagree with each other, and who each disagree with me on some things.

Hi all participating in this discussion. I just spent an interesting hour or so skim reading this thread. It is of interest because I recently bought Alister McGrath's book, "Science & Religion: A New Introduction". This popular (as opposed to academic) book has a number of references to Galileo and the heliocentic debate, especially pages 21-24. I also have a DVD by Capa Fan on related subject matter!** Back in year 4 at Otago Uni I studied the history of science. I never (as yet anyway - tis may be rectified) had the time to read Grant, Hannam, O'Neil et al but maybe one day I will fit such reading in. As my old friend Captain Underpants would have said, carry on!
    Yes, I have benefited from reading Hannam and O'Neill, and also Peter Harrison. Just started Grant's The Foundations of Modern Science in the Middle Ages: Their Religious, Institutional and Intellectual Contexts a few days ago.

** Jono's DVD is called "The Christian Roots of Science". Great title and very interesting content. Even has a photo with me in it!!
    Oh yes, so it does Thanks for the plug for this DVD.

Thread Information