Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Mt Buller - updated ACF Announcement + CALL FOR NEW BIDS

Hello All,

Following the ACF Executive meeting last evening I was authorised to continue pursuing the Mt Buller option provided certain conditions were met.

This was considered both desirable and prudent as the total Sponsorship offered in Cash and Inkind sponsorship was to the tune of $116,000.

The Financial guarantee required by the ACF Executive will be met within 48 hours of the awarding of the Events to Mt Buller if such happens on the 12 July at the ACF Council Meeting.

The ACF now officially declares that the agreed Tournaments which were allocated to Chess Victoria to be held at Mt Buller no longer are valid.

The ACF calls on all States/Territories to submit a proposal to hold all or any of the Australian Open , Australian Junior or Schools Finals.

Submissions need to reach the ACF Secretary before 2.00pm on the 11th July.

I also ask for any or all Chess Organisers whom may be interested in still holding these three events at Mt Buller to contact me IMMEDIATELY on 0414841575. I am the first point of call for any negotiations.
    I personally feel that this sponsorship if signed off and guaranteed is just too good to ignore and would be foolish in the extreme to ignore.
    David Cordover has stated to me that he would make available to any ACF Approved Organiser all the information and developement he has done in relation to the Mt Buller Program. It does not have to be a state or territory who wishes to Organise these events but could be an individual who would organise these events on behalf of the ACF rather than a state/territory intermediatory.

As I said in my opening post of the previous ACF Mt Buller announcement nothing should be assumed to have concluded until the ACF Council has made its decisions on 12 July. What can be concluded however is that Chess Victoria with David Cordover as the main Organiser will not be conducting the three events at Mt Buller.

George Howard
    President ACF

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Last edited by Trent Parker; 02-07-2004 at 02:41 PM.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Hi All,

What is happening is that Mt Buller with all the Sponsorship intact is still a possibility provided someone other than Chess Victoria with David Cordover as the Main Organiser is interested in running the events.

But it is now also possible for the new Chess Victoria bid (I understand with David as the Main Organiser)to be submitted to the ACF Officially before 2.00pm on 11th July along with any other bids from States/Territories.

Regards
    George Howard

would this be a fair summary.

In short, all negotations between David and Mt Buller have finished, this leaves the following options:

1) a new organisation/person steps in to organise and continue terms with mt buller
    2) accept davids idea/proposal for a melbourne based chess championship
    3) a completely new bid, similiar like Peter Parr's idea for central sydney
    4) a whole new proposal which has not been mentioned at all so far

Quote Originally Posted by tparker
    Huh??? whats happening.
    Did you really need to quote that from the other thread just to make the above comment.

Hi Bill,

Can you call me please ASAP I have lost your telehone number and the NSW Chess Site unfortunately doesnt include your phone number.

Thanks mate.

George Howard

Done.

CC FIDE Master
    Bid for Australian Open
    =================
    Venue: Canberra - I'm pretty confident I can get the use of Parliament House for the event as it is pretty quiet during December/January
    Prize Money:At least $1,000,000 (assuming 50,000 entrants)
    Overseas players: I've been contacted by hundreds of Grandmasters interested in playing and without giving away too much the names Kasparov, Karpov, Spassky and Fischer have been discussed. There is also a possibility I can convince Lasker, Alekhine and Capablanca to play as they are "down under" anyway.

Now, how could the ACF refuse such an offer. It is unlikely a chance to hold a tournament of this calibre will arise again for the next 100 or so years.

*NB: If the above arrangements fall through I am happy to organise a much reduced event, especially as no-one else will have the lead time to organise a half-way decent event.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Bid for Australian Open
    =================
    Venue: Canberra - I'm pretty confident I can get the use of Parliament House for the event as it is pretty quiet during December/January
    Overseas players: I've been contacted by hundreds of Grandmasters interested in playing and without giving away too much the names Kasparov, Karpov, Spassky and Fischer have been discussed. There is also a possibility I can convince Lasker, Alekhine and Capablanca to play as they are "down under" anyway.

Now, how could the ACF refuse such an offer. It is unlikely a chance to hold a tournament of this calibre will arise again for the next 100 or so years.

*NB: If the above arrangements fall through I am happy to organise a much reduced event, especially as no-one else will have the lead time to organise a half-way decent event.
    Very clever Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    Bid for Australian Open
    =================

Shaun,

If you actually did pull off the above miracle [ ] you'd be elected unopposed as FIDE's next president.

eclectic

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    Shaun,

you'd be elected unopposed as FIDE's next president.

eclectic
    and that would be the best reason not to run the tournament

Account Permanently Banned

Cool Game on.

The Whitehorse Junior Chess Club will be a bidder for the Australian Junior tournament now to be decided at the next ACF meeting.

Whitehorse Junior Chess Club (WHJC) has recently conducted the successful 2004 Victorian Junior, and web-site details of this event are at
    http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/vicchess/

Whitehorse shares the same premises and Committee as the Box Hill Chess Club.
    Box Hill recently ran the 2004 Victorian OPEN week-ender.

WHJC have already been allocated a significant pledge from the local council to offset the cost of renting a venue for the Australian OPEN. The venue will the carpeted and spacious. It is the Lower Town Hall; which has been used for major events previously.
    Accommodation in dormitories, at a local private school, has been discussed in principle with the school, and promises to be a low cost option for those coming from interstate and requiring somewhere to stay for the duration of the tournament.

WHJC plan to put together the same electronic facilities that drew recent praise from chess-tourist Amiel Rosario. Namely, DGT boards to capture the top board games live; independent viewing gallery, and all games entered into the web-site data-base.

Victorian entrants will welcome the reduced cost of a tournament site at Box Hill instead of Mt Buller, and a major increased turn-out of Victorian talent is expected.

Box Hill is a major transport hub for the east of Melbourne and will suit those juniors who live anywhere on the Melbourne rail network. Box Hill is also well-serviced by buses and trams.

We hope that the Box Hill bid will become the preferred solution of Chess VICTORIA for presentation to the ACF.

starter

just curious starter, this may be of no concern to whitehorse, but have you considered how this might affect the complete mt buller bid?

Personally I think people should wait just that tiny bit longer and at least hear out the new Mt Buller bid before everyone starts throwing offers on the table, another week or two of consideration can't hurt.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Personally I think people should wait just that tiny bit longer and at least hear out the new Mt Buller bid before everyone starts throwing offers on the table, another week or two of consideration can't hurt.
    that would be nice, but as George Howard has said, new bids are being called for and must be in by July 11 ready for the acf council meeting on July 12. So i guess other bidders have no choice about when they bid.

Thread Information