Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Chess Whatever

ER from World Champ thread: Talking about preparation … Magnus started with 1:40 on his clock and now after 12moves his time is 1:45

AC: this is what I hate about increment time. The game does not wind down the so the superior player cannot take use of his superiority of time so the better player can get cheated out of his win or forced to play extra time instead of resting for next game or watching Board 1.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    AC: this is what I hate about increment time. The game does not wind down the so the superior player cannot take use of his superiority of time so the better player can get cheated out of his win or forced to play extra time instead of resting for next game or watching Board 1.
    Actually the same sorts of players who are hopeless time managers under guillotine often turn into increment junkies, which makes it easy to beat them if you can keep the position complicated (sometimes they will lose on time even with the increment.)

CC FIDE Master
    Wondering if anyone can tell me a fair price for all bound volumes of Purdy's Chess World from 1946 - 1967 inclusive? I'm told they're hard to come by as a complete set ....

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Moral-Vict.../dp/B0027P89DG

David Lovejoy's book Moral Victories is still for sale - it seems a good read.

The life of Savielly Tartakower was marked by paradox. He was a passionate man who fought for the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1914-18 and then for the Allies against Germany in the Second World War. He changed nationalities four times, being born Russian and becoming in turn Austrian, Ukrainian, Polish and French. Not only a debonair gambler, poet and wit, he was also a world-class chess master who left a legacy of beautiful play and fascinating accounts of the game. In life inscrutable, half a century after his death some of Tartakower's mystery can now be fathomed.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    Wondering if anyone can tell me a fair price for all bound volumes of Purdy's Chess World from 1946 - 1967 inclusive? I'm told they're hard to come by as a complete set ....

Thanks.
    It's an invaluable collection of quality chess and historical content.
    Fischer himself told IM and ex correspondence world campion Cecil Purdy "I like your stuff, it's a good read"! when they accidentally met in some occasion!
    For all the volumes I 'd put a price to $1000
    So if you are selling don't accept anything less than that!
    If you are buying, anything less than that is a bargain go for it!
    Both good to read and study, as well as a future collector's investment!

PSI Purdy's works are highly esteemed by many Australian top players.
    At least a couple of generations of Aussie champs learned their craft from his works.
    According to the late Peter Parr, Purdy should be placed amongst top chess writers of all time!

PSII From Wikipedia: He was described by Bobby Fischer as being a great chess instructor.
    Some of his writings are still in print. He is famous for having said "Pawn endings are to chess as putting is to golf."

PSIII A huge plus could be if the volumes you are referring to included his articles and annotations for
    his own publication The Australasian Chess Review (1929–1944) but hey …
    Last edited by ER; 03-06-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Fischer himself told Purdy "I like your stuff, it's a good read"! when they accidentally met in some occasion!

PS Purdy's works are highly esteemed by many Australian top players.
    At least a couple of generations of Aussie champs learned their craft by him.
    According to the late Peter Parr, Purdy should be placed amongst top chess writers of all time!
    Thanks ER - $999 for you - with free post!

Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    Thanks ER - $999 for you - with free post!
    haha brilliant strategic move by me to post a couple of extra PSs after your offer.
    Otherwise it would have cost me a fortune!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Actually the same sorts of players who are hopeless time managers under guillotine often turn into increment junkies, which makes it easy to beat them if you can keep the position complicated (sometimes they will lose on time even with the increment.)
    And I think surveys have showed that results do not change (much?)with increment - though the game is decided over the board rather than by the clock but if the result is the same then why bother with increment? It does diminish the advantage of the more talented player who needs less time.

Fischer himself told IM and ex correspondence world campion Cecil Purdy "I like your stuff, it's a good read"! when they accidentally met in some occasion!

At least a couple of generations of Aussie champs learned their craft from his works.

PSII From Wikipedia: He was described by Bobby Fischer as being a great chess instructor.
    Some of his writings are still in print. He is famous for having said "Pawn endings are to chess as putting is to golf."

PSIII A huge plus could be if the volumes you are referring to included his articles and annotations for
    Further readings re Cecil Purdy

J. Hammond and R Jamieson, C.J.S. Purdy: His Life, His Games and His Writings, Belmont Printing Co. Melbourne 1982
    C.J.S.Purdy, Frank Hutchings and Kevin Harrison, How Purdy Won: The Correspondence Chess Career of a World Champion, Castle Books 1983, ISBN 0-7255-1439-6
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC FIDE Master
    haha brilliant strategic move by me to post a couple of extra PSs after your offer.
    Otherwise it would have cost me a fortune!
    Indeed(!?) - but you have me in zugzwang, ER - so: 999 for you (and thanks for the reading links).

But putting is only important if you can't hole in one - like if you mate in the middlegame who needs endgame

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Moral-Vict.../dp/B0027P89DG

David Lovejoy's book Moral Victories is still for sale - it seems a good read.

The life of Savielly Tartakower was marked by paradox. He was a passionate man who fought for the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1914-18 and then for the Allies against Germany in the Second World War. He changed nationalities four times, being born Russian and becoming in turn Austrian, Ukrainian, Polish and French. Not only a debonair gambler, poet and wit, he was also a world-class chess master who left a legacy of beautiful play and fascinating accounts of the game. In life inscrutable, half a century after his death some of Tartakower's mystery can now be fathomed.
    I bought it, read it and enjoyed it.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster

That is interesting...would be great to learn more about that meeting. Did Purdy or someone else wrote about it by any chance?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1703352

Purdy's final game...This is the first time I see a game in the ChessGames Database ...that does not have a result given. The reason is...Purdy died while playing this game!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    That is interesting...would be great to learn more about that meeting. Did Purdy or someone else wrote about it by any chance?
    I donít believe that Purdy and Fischer ever met, although they did correspond. I have an aerogramme that Fischer sent to Purdy in my collection. Purdy was at the Nice Olympiad in 1974 but Fischer wasnít and Purdy did not travel overseas much.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Thread Information