Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chess Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    If both flags are down it's a draw no matter who has used up more time.

The only exception is if one player wins the game by checkmate or resignation before it is noticed that the flags are down.
    thanks

thanks also Bill, the guy I gamble against and who owes me $1760 has home rules, he also has home rules about when he is going to pay me

why is it that the Queenstown Classic can offer truck loads of cash as prizemoney and not be accused of drawing players away from the Aussie Open. In the early days of the Sydney Easter Cup with only pocket money as prize money I encountered [snip-mod] opposition coz was supposedly drawing players from the Doeberl. Some people even wanted me deported to the refugee camps and out of the Assoc.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 21-01-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Some people even wanted me deported to the refugee camps and out of the Assoc.
    You are lucky Guantanamo Bay wasn't operating then!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    You are lucky Guantanamo Bay wasn't operating then!
    I think Barack may have just closed it?? I went to Byron Bay instead and you can all keep your stinking hot Sydney and prob Melbourne as well. They are just big sewers. and to stay in topic I may try to get to Aussie Day chess comp this weekend but 70 bucks is not that cheap. One could go up on the Cross on that.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    why is it that the Queenstown Classic can offer truck loads of cash as prizemoney and not be accused of drawing players away from the Aussie Open.
    Probably because they are not on at the same time. That said, the way players flocked to the Queenstown event which was advertised well in advance with excellent conditions was the main cause of the clash between the Aus Open and the Aus Junior.

Oh by the way, here is a reiteration of your permanent moderation warning not to use Israel/Palestine analogies on chess threads (even your own chess threads). It's been a while so you may have forgotten, but expect to be banned again if there is any more of that rubbish.

Probably because they are not on at the same time. That said, the way players flocked to the Queenstown event which was advertised well in advance with excellent conditions was the main cause of the clash between the Aus Open and the Aus Junior.

Oh by the way, here is a reiteration of your permanent moderation warning not to use Israel/Palestine analogies on chess threads (even your own chess threads). It's been a while so you may have forgotten, but expect to be banned again if there is any more of that rubbish.
    I have just done one by mistake so give me time and I will recall that rocket home. Hey mate it is you who brought it up in a chess thread - the rack for you

See you there?

I think Barack may have just closed it?? I went to Byron Bay instead and you can all keep your stinking hot Sydney and prob Melbourne as well. They are just big sewers. and to stay in topic I may try to get to Aussie Day chess comp this weekend but 70 bucks is not that cheap. One could go up on the Cross on that.
    lol, hey AC if need be I can contribute with the entry fee in order to
    1) have the pleasure to meet you (since I will be there)
    2) give you the chance to exhibit your talents on a chess (and not on some other) board at the Cross and
    3) confirm that your rhetorics here are repeated in the real life world as well!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

was he our first gm?

Early years
    Browne was born to an American father and an Australian mother. His family moved to the New York area when he was three, and Browne moved to California in 1973.

Browne won the U.S. Junior Championship in 1966.

He represented his country of birth Australia for a short time. He won the 1969 Australian Chess Championship. He tied first with Renato Naranja while representing Australia at the 1969 Asian Zonal tournament in Singapore, earning the International Master title. This result immediately earned him an invitation to an international grandmaster tournament in San Juan, Puerto Rico. There, he earned the Grandmaster title by tieing for 2nd-4th places, with Bruno Parma and Arthur Bisguier, behind reigning world champion Boris Spassky.

He played top board for Australia at the 1970 and 1972 Chess Olympiads, before switching to representing the United States in 1974.

Early years
    Browne was born to an American father and an Australian mother. His family moved to the New York area when he was three, and Browne moved to California in 1973.

Browne won the U.S. Junior Championship in 1966.

He represented his country of birth Australia for a short time. He won the 1969 Australian Chess Championship. He tied first with Renato Naranja while representing Australia at the 1969 Asian Zonal tournament in Singapore, earning the International Master title. This result immediately earned him an invitation to an international grandmaster tournament in San Juan, Puerto Rico. There, he earned the Grandmaster title by tieing for 2nd-4th places, with Bruno Parma and Arthur Bisguier, behind reigning world champion Boris Spassky.

He played top board for Australia at the 1970 and 1972 Chess Olympiads, before switching to representing the United States in 1974.
    We've had this discussion before at some length here http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....lter+Browne%22

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

being sarcastic, tromp and caro players are bad at chess : from shoutbox

My very limited experience with both openings is that I thought they have limitations or weaknesses.

I have not seen them played well but I suppose if I study books they may hold up to a certain level, is this correct?

Does Caro Kann hold up at top level? (where I fluke an occasional game)

being sarcastic, tromp and caro players are bad at chess : from shoutbox

My very limited experience with both openings is that I thought they have limitations or weaknesses.

I have not seen them played well but I suppose if I study books they may hold up to a certain level, is this correct?

Does Caro Kann hold up at top level? (where I fluke an occasional game)
    The Caro Kann is not a particularly popular opening but it has been played at top level, for example by Tigran Petrosian and Karpov and Botvinnik. Karpov played it 6 times in his Superfinal Candidates Match against Sokolov at Linares in 1987 and annoted several of the games in his book "The Semi-open Game in Action". There are also 5 Caro Kann games in Karpov's "Chess at the Top" but all played by his opponents (Larsen (2), Hort, Petrosian and Hubner). There are 3 annotated Petrosian games in "Tigran Petrosian - his life and games" by Vik Vasiliev and two more in Bobby Fischer's "Sixty Memorable Games" a draw and a loss by Petrosian. Botvinnik played it in his World Championship matches againt Smyslov and Tal.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Caro-Kann is still played in several top-level (2700+) games per year. At that level it is most often played by Anand, Bareev and Ivanchuk but also now and then by many others.

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    Caro-Kann is still played in several top-level (2700+) games per year. At that level it is most often played by Anand, Bareev and Ivanchuk but also now and then by many others.
    The Caro is one of the most boring openings in the world. Don't play it.
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    The Caro is one of the most boring openings in the world. Don't play it.
    When I was first taking up chess in the early 1950s I dabbled in both the French and the Caro Kann and even played a few games using the French. As far as I had any style, the French didn't suit it and I agree that I found the Caro Kann even more boring (Sorry Kevin for the implication - it's one of taste and style ).

I settled for the Sicilian which I have played ever since as there is no end to the richness of variations in it. For every game in which you get crushed - and there are lots of them - there is one where you do the same to White. it rarely lacks excitement one way or the other.

DJ

Thread Information